As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    A screen can be larger diagonally without a notch.

And again I challenge anyone here to hold two pieces of plastic with a few mm difference in length and claim they can tell the difference.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Measuring by diagonal dimension stops making sense when you have bits of bezel that jut out into the screen rectangle.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Measuring by diagonal dimension stops making sense when you have bits of bezel that jut out into the screen rectangle.

Nah, it's a 6.3" inch screen with a hole cut in it. Makes perfect sense.

And to be clear, the 3xl and Note 9 both have the same ratio (18.5:9), so there's no possible way it could have "more screen space," given equal size (I think the Note 9 is a little bigger by .1 inches or so). Maybe they could get away with that claim if they went to a longer aspect ratio like the iPhone X (19.5:9). Also, the length between the two is barely noticeable (6.22 inches for the 3 XL vs 6.40 inches for the Note 9). Considering they are the most alike phones I can think of at the moment with the best tech available, the .2 inch loss for a .1 inch smaller screen means the notch is saving... .1 inches in size. This fundamentally does not make any sense.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Nah, it's a 6.5" inch screen with a hole cut in it. Makes perfect sense.

And to be clear, the 3xl and Note 9 both have the same ratio.

The Note 9 is also GIGANTIC. It is wider and taller.

Your comparison against a notchless phone is useless because there aren't any phones that fit that description and don't have a bezel if some sort. And if it's got the same screen size and a bezel then it's a larger phone. But within the constraints of the Pixel 3XL dimensions, it has more usable space with a notch than if there was no notch and a bezel.

• Options

And to be clear, the 3xl and Note 9 both have the same ratio (18.5:9), so there's no possible way it could have "more screen space," given equal size (I think the Note 9 is a little bigger by .1 inches or so). Maybe they could get away with that claim if they went to a longer aspect ratio like the iPhone X (19.5:9).

But as it is, apples to apples, the idea that less screen space is more doesn't make any sense.

My point is that two screens measuring diagonally the same--one with a notch and one without--means that the one without the notch is a bigger screen.

Or one measuring slightly less without a notch is potentially the same amount of screen (or more!) compared to one measuring slightly larger, but with a big notch.

• Options
    edited October 2018

And to be clear, the 3xl and Note 9 both have the same ratio (18.5:9), so there's no possible way it could have "more screen space," given equal size (I think the Note 9 is a little bigger by .1 inches or so). Maybe they could get away with that claim if they went to a longer aspect ratio like the iPhone X (19.5:9).

But as it is, apples to apples, the idea that less screen space is more doesn't make any sense.

My point is that two screens measuring diagonally the same--one with a notch and one without--means that the one without the notch is a bigger screen.

Yup.

And if you look at the edit, there's zero anything showing the notch makes the phone smaller or has any impact whatsoever on the physical size of the handset.

So, it serves zero purpose, and is merely there to copy Apple. That's it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    SirToasty wrote: »

Your comparison against a notchless phone is useless because there aren't any phones that fit that description and don't have a bezel if some sort. And if it's got the same screen size and a bezel then it's a larger phone. But within the constraints of the Pixel 3XL dimensions, it has more usable space with a notch than if there was no notch and a bezel.

The 3XL is wider than the Note 9, the Note 9 is .2 inches taller and .03 inches thicker.

The Note 9 has the slightly bigger screen, .1 inches.

I'm willing to bet the Note 9 has more usable space as a matter of surface area than the Pixel 3 XL.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Oh and I got the Note 9 and the 8 Plus mixed up.

The Note 9 is 6.37in tall, compared to the 3 XL's 6.22. And the 3XL is still wider than the Note 9 (but by a mere .01 inches, but still).

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Yup.

And if you look at the edit, there's zero anything showing the notch makes the phone smaller or has any impact whatsoever on the physical size of the handset.

I think we're making the same argument. Notch = bad because it reduces the usable screen space on a phone.

Personally, I'd prefer a slim bezel across the entire top rather than 50% no bezel and 50% big notch. Samsung seems like the only one that has this shit straight, but I have zero interest in going with another Samsung phone.

• Options

Yup.

I think we're making the same argument. Notch = bad because it reduces the usable screen space on a phone.

Personally, I'd prefer a slim bezel across the entire top rather than 50% no bezel and 50% big notch. Samsung seems like the only one that has this shit straight, but I have zero interest in going with another Samsung phone.

Yeah, having a symmetric look across the front is just far more pleasing to me, personally.

I understand not wanting to go with another Samsung, as they have their issues. I have one and I'm perfectly fine with it, but yeah... issues.

• Options

The 3XL is wider than the Note 9, the Note 9 is .2 inches taller and .03 inches thicker.

The Note 9 has the slightly bigger screen, .1 inches.

I'm willing to bet the Note 9 has more usable space as a matter of surface area than the Pixel 3 XL.

My bad, I was remembering a comparison of my current Pixel XL.

• Options
    So what is the size of the bezel plus the status bar on the Note 9? That's what we should be comparing to the bezel size of the Pixel 3 XL. The only difference at that point is that full screen video on the Note 9 would be slightly larger but then you lose that space to hold the phone in landscape mode. This is all ignoring that the Note 9 is just flat out taller, which makes the comparison basically useless anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So what is the size of the bezel plus the status bar on the Note 9? That's what we should be comparing to the bezel size of the Pixel 3 XL. The only difference at that point is that full screen video on the Note 9 would be slightly larger but then you lose that space to hold the phone in landscape mode. This is all ignoring that the Note 9 is just flat out taller, which makes the comparison basically useless anyway.

They're 18.5:9 screens with .1 inch difference, I don't see how the comparison is useless. I don't have anything nearby to measure that, so...

And again, .15 inches taller. That's less than 4 mm. Not exactly a huge difference, especially when you consider the screen is 2 mm bigger diagonally on the Note 9.

If I was a guessing man I'd say the notch is roughly the same height as the bezel plus the status bar. Plus the Note 9 has a smaller chin than the 3XL.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Why are we even talking about the Note 9? It's a larger device, full stop. What the notch gives the Pixel 3 XL is that it gives you the same dimensions of the Pixel 2 XL but with more usable screen. Imo, the size of the Pixel 2/3 XLs is already pushing it, I certainly don't want something even taller. If you're going to argue that the notch takes away space you have to consider that it's replacing the space for both a bezel AND the status bar. We're not at a point yet where you just...can't have something up at the top and still maintain features that are standard (ie camera, front facing speakers, other sensors). So why not allow the status bar to share the bezel space?

Say what you will but an extra .15 inches of height does make a fair amount of difference to some people.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Why are we even talking about the Note 9? It's a larger device, full stop. What the notch gives the Pixel 3 XL is that it gives you the same dimensions of the Pixel 2 XL but with more usable screen. Imo, the size of the Pixel 2/3 XLs is already pushing it, I certainly don't want something even taller. If you're going to argue that the notch takes away space you have to consider that it's replacing the space for both a bezel AND the status bar. We're not at a point yet where you just...can't have something up at the top and still maintain features that are standard (ie camera, front facing speakers, other sensors). So why not allow the status bar to share the bezel space?

Say what you will but an extra .15 inches of height does make a fair amount of difference to some people.

I heard this about the thinness arguments and how .1 mm of thickness could be felt and I still don't believe it, but that's just my opinion here. Rounded edges make a phone feel thinner.

I still think the notch is stupid, serves no purpose and is simply trend chasing and am just glad I have the option to not buy it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I hate bluetooth headphones. They all suck, and 90% of them are earbuds and they hurt my ears. Just give me my fucking headphone jack back.

i have been super happy with my MPow over the ear headphones. super long charge and actually has great range at least with my OP3T

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I agree the notch is stupid but to me the dumbest recent trend is curved screens for phones. No more tempered glass to protect your screen, and if you get a case that comes up high enough to protect the screen you lose the ability to use the edge of the screen. I seem to be the only one unhappy about this though as literally everyone is making curved screens.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I agree the notch is stupid but to me the dumbest recent trend is curved screens for phones. No more tempered glass to protect your screen, and if you get a case that comes up high enough to protect the screen you lose the ability to use the edge of the screen. I seem to be the only one unhappy about this though as literally everyone is making curved screens.

Maybe that is why they have it. More cracked screens means more new phones

[/tinfoil hat]

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I had a curved screen in my PRIV and literally the only benefit from it I could notice that, when it was charging, it would put a color-changing power bar along the edge.

Which could've been put on a non-curved screen too, to be honest.

My LG G6+ has rounded corners on the screen (not entirely jazzed about that), but not curved screen. I really ought to buy a tempered glass protector, even if I do tend to pull it out of its Incipio case when I settle in for the evening.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    1) Notches are fine in the general sense. The P3XL notch is awful. No one asked for dual front cameras, and nothing in that presentation remotely justifies it.

I don't think the P3XL notch is any worse than other phones, it looks stupidly deep in pictures but pretty much everyone who has had hands on now is like "eh, in practice it's not bad at all." Keep in mind that it's about as deep as the bezel was on the P2XL, which wasn't that thick really.
    2) No headphone jack sucks. Google has no fucking idea how to make bluetooth work well. I got some BT neckbuds to use while doing yardwork/exercise and they literally do not work when the phone is in my pocket. And these are supposed to be good ones. I can pair them with my iPad and use them two rooms away. My N6P and P1XL have also both been awful with multiple cars' BT systems.

are you still using a P1XL? I had some BT problems with my P1XL, including it having problems connecting to my car. I've had 0 problems with my P2XL, so for whatever it's worth, they're getting that figured out.

Yes. I'm not going to pay $900 for a new phone just to have BT work somewhat properly.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I hate bluetooth headphones. They all suck, and 90% of them are earbuds and they hurt my ears. Just give me my fucking headphone jack back.

i have been super happy with my MPow over the ear headphones. super long charge and actually has great range at least with my OP3T

Honestly, I have yet to hear a bad review about the Bose QC35s. The price point is pretty crazy, but you get what you pay for.

Anker's version of those headphones also seems fairly well received.

I do understand @LD50 's point, though, as I'm also on Team Headphone Jack.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I tried 3 or 4 different brands and none of them would stay on my screen. The glue around the edges would not hold it in place, or in some cases on the phone at all. Plus it still interferes with your ability to use the edge of your phone. A curved screen literally adds nothing of value to the phone as far as I can tell.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I tried 3 or 4 different brands and none of them would stay on my screen. The glue around the edges would not hold it in place, or in some cases on the phone at all. Plus it still interferes with your ability to use the edge of your phone. A curved screen literally adds nothing of value to the phone as far as I can tell.

I tried the Zagg glass shields on my Note 8 and my work S8. Both of them lasted a couple days before they popped off the phone and shattered. I went back to the film ones.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't use the glass protectors so I don't have any suggestions. I usually use the cases with lips that come over the top and bottom and so far it's been sufficient to keep my screens nearly pristine.

Personally I use the edges for scrolling when browsing because it's a nice feel, but I can see why people would think they were useless.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Given that I prefer to toss my phones into a rugged case, I wish glass screen protectors were integrated into the front piece of something like an OtterBox Defender.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Given that I prefer to toss my phones into a rugged case, I wish glass screen protectors were integrated into the front piece of something like an OtterBox Defender.

There are phone cases that have this form factor. I know Lifeproof does them.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

They don't make cases for the Note series unfortunately. I love their cases on other phones.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hrmm, my phone seems to have stopped getting access to data. Signal strength shows as strong, but there's a little x in the corner if I'm not on a wireless connection. Toggling data usage on and off just puts a little LTE next to the signal strength indicator. Nowhere near even a single gig of use and I'm in the middle of a billing cycle, so not sure why it would do that.
    Phone is a Pixel 2, network is Fi, which I think uses AT&T and Sprint's networks? Either way normally it does just fine at work but today it was getting nothing.
    :edit: hmm, turned on airplane mode for a bit, and now it appears to be working properly again.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ordered and got the case for my new Pixel 3 XL in 2 days. Now to continue the multi-week wait for my actual phone to arrive.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They don't make cases for the Note series unfortunately. I love their cases on other phones.

Yeah I noticed this. Spigen has a Note 9 case with a screen protector built in, and I saw a few others.

So there are some options out there. Not as numerous as an iPhone but I imagine the curved edges make that sort of case difficult to engineer.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Hrmm, my phone seems to have stopped getting access to data. Signal strength shows as strong, but there's a little x in the corner if I'm not on a wireless connection. Toggling data usage on and off just puts a little LTE next to the signal strength indicator. Nowhere near even a single gig of use and I'm in the middle of a billing cycle, so not sure why it would do that.
    Phone is a Pixel 2, network is Fi, which I think uses AT&T and Sprint's networks? Either way normally it does just fine at work but today it was getting nothing.
    :edit: hmm, turned on airplane mode for a bit, and now it appears to be working properly again.

That is a quirk with Project Fi specifically. It happens when a switch between networks goes wrong. The fix is anything that causes the phone to disconnect and reconnect to a network, such as airplane mode as you noted.

The newer phones, like the Pixel 2 encounter the issue less, but can still encounter it. My Nexus 6P has it happen a couple times a month, usually in the same general spot. It happens all the time in my office parking lot. I think it's right on the edge between T-mo and Sprint towers.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    No idea why but Google rewards has been lighting up all day today. Sometimes with the same survey multiple times in a row. I'll take those quarters.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    For whatever reason Google Rewards mostly only pops up on my old phone, I don't know how to fix that and I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on some dimes because of it.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Debating finally diving into the Android pool after having been an iPhone user since my company gave me my first smartphone (iPhone 2 in like 2006 I think). I'm torn between the s9 and the Pixel 3 and all the tech specs and the price point are steering me towards the s9. Any arguments for the Pixel? I'm on Verizon now but might change carriers also.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    If you were thinking of going to Project Fi, you'd more likely want to lean towards the Pixel as I don't think the Samsungs work on that (especially the Verizon one, but to be honest I haven't been keeping track these days if all flashships come with the antennas for most major carriers or if Verizon models are still locked down).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Due to radio requirements and software for switching between carriers Fi has limited phone choices. Pixels, 5X, 6P, Moto G6 and X4, and the LG G7 ThinQ. That's it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    If you live in a major city with ubiquitous wifi, I cannot recommend Project Fi highly enough. My phone bill comes in under $30 most months.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    That's good to know. I hadn't looked into Fi that closely but that at least puts some points in the Pixel category. I live in Omaha so I think I'd be alright with Project Fi.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm on Fi with my Oneplus 5T but it only runs on T-Mobile bands. I did have a Nexus 5X beforehand and a Nexus phone or another fully function Fi phone with band switching is needed in order to use/set up a non-Fi phone on the network.

I did think about switching to another carrier but I don't need the data because I'm on Wifi at work and at home. It's extremely rare I ever go over 1GB in a billing cycle. T-Mobile has good enough service for the few phone calls I make per month. Primarily though, it's hard to beat $28 a month that I get through Fi.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika