As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Can you scroll down? Is it just showing the stations first and the albums later?

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can anyone help me figure out how to search for artists on Google Play Music? For example I search "Four Tet" and the only thing that shows up is "Four Tet radio" and I can't actually see the album list.... Does that mean they don't have any of their albums (this doesn't make sense because it seems like every artist does this in Google Music).

When I type "four tet" into the Google Music search bar, even before I hit enter, the first item on the auto-results is "Four Tet (Artist)". If you click on that name and not the Play button next to the name, it will take you to the artists page.

From there, you can expand out the list of Top Songs or Albums.

If the artists name doesn't show up in the auto-results, try hitting enter after typing in their name. If you still don't find them, it may be that Google does not have any digital distribution rights in your country for that artist. Certain artists are definitely keeping their catalogue off of streaming services - King Crimson is one of them, I think, but I've not heard of Four Tet before.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Can anyone help me figure out how to search for artists on Google Play Music? For example I search "Four Tet" and the only thing that shows up is "Four Tet radio" and I can't actually see the album list.... Does that mean they don't have any of their albums (this doesn't make sense because it seems like every artist does this in Google Music).

Do you have spoitfy premium?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Can you scroll down? Is it just showing the stations first and the albums later?

No albums, just a listing of radios.

When I type "four tet" into the Google Music search bar, even before I hit enter, the first item on the auto-results is "Four Tet (Artist)". If you click on that name and not the Play button next to the name, it will take you to the artists page.

From there, you can expand out the list of Top Songs or Albums.

If the artists name doesn't show up in the auto-results, try hitting enter after typing in their name. If you still don't find them, it may be that Google does not have any digital distribution rights in your country for that artist. Certain artists are definitely keeping their catalogue off of streaming services - King Crimson is one of them, I think, but I've not heard of Four Tet before.

When I search the album this is what I see:
    0yjGiSg.png

So when I tap on Four Tet this is what I see:
    Sedw12c.png

When I scroll down I don't see any albums or top songs. Just radio stations. (The hamburger menu only has Add to Library and Share)
    LD50 wrote: »

Do you have spoitfy premium?

Nah I don't really want to pay for a premium service for my music. I like to outright buy albums I enjoy that way I don't have to worry about ownership and all that.

• Options
    I think that the free version only lets you play the radio station things.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That's weird, because the albums do show up for me, both on mobile and the web app. I do have a Google Music subscription, but I'm not sure how that would affect anything here.

The first screenshot shows that some albums do show up in the search. What happens if you click on, say, Sixteen Oceans? Will it take you to that album? If so, can you tap the three vertical dots next to the artist name and tap "Go to artist"? If so, does that take you to the artist screen?

• Options
    Yeah when I click on the artist, this is what I see:
    57Px7lB.png
    I'm in Canada so I don't know if that will change things.
    Do you have a Google Music subscription? Or are you using the free version?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    That's weird, because the albums do show up for me, both on mobile and the web app. I do have a Google Music subscription, but I'm not sure how that would affect anything here.

The first screenshot shows that some albums do show up in the search. What happens if you click on, say, Sixteen Oceans? Will it take you to that album? If so, can you tap the three vertical dots next to the artist name and tap "Go to artist"? If so, does that take you to the artist screen?

When I click on the album it takes me to a radio station with that album on it... The triple dots only have "add to Playlist" and "share" options.
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think that the free version only lets you play the radio station things.

But I'm looking to buy the album. I don't want to listen to it for free... I want to give them my money to play it lol.
    Yeah when I click on the artist, this is what I see:
    57Px7lB.png
    I'm in Canada so I don't know if that will change things.
    Do you have a Google Music subscription? Or are you using the free version?

Using free but I'm just trying to buy the album so I can own it. I'm not interested in listening to it for free lol.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I want to help you but I'm too busy trying to figure out if Caribou and Pantha Du Prince are the same person at different stages of their life.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This sounds totally bonkers. I have no idea what's going on in the backend, if this is some intentional business (il?)logic or a bug, but boy oh boy is this silly. Sorry, urahonky. This is pretty frustrating.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Can you purchase through Google play music? I think the last time I bought an album I had to do it through the Play Store

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Can you purchase through Google play music? I think the last time I bought an album I had to do it through the Play Store

I thought so too but when I search for "Four Tet" on the Play Store it doesn't have anything related to music.

• Options
    Lmao so I think I figured something out... I searched "Thrice" on the Play Store and I clicked on the artist there. From there I can click the search box and it says "search music" and when I type in Four Tet it finally shows up lol.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Google's been weird with music lately. When I tell the google assistant in my daughter's room to play the Frozen 2 soundtrack it never picks the english version. Even if I tell it to play in English. I had to make a Spotify playlist with the soundtrack and then it will play from there.

In related news, pretty tired of most of that soundtrack.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ahh... see I did not understand you were trying to buy the album. Google Play Music (music.google.com) is, I think, a subscription service that also accesses your music library including songs you purchased through the Play store. To actually buy albums, you need to go through https://play.google.com/store/music which is their music storefront. So when I type "four tet" into the search bar in the Play Music store, I get this:
    RFXUt0r.png
    The distinction between the subscription service and the music store is absolutely not clear so I think i understand the confusion now. And sometimes, an album is available on the music store but not through your google music subscription until you buy it on the store (usually brand new albums).

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It probably doesn't help that when I searched the artist on the Play Store it pulled up a bunch of "Connect Four" apps and no music... Is there a way to tell Play Store to search just music? I saw Apps, Games, Movies and Books but no option for Music.

• Options
    on the left of the play store, you don't have this button?
    cKKVwfv.png
    If you go in there, it's the music store and then you can just search in music

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spotify is the best app for music, but I'm also heavily biassed because I have massive playlists spanning the last decade on there.

• Options
    on the left of the play store, you don't have this button?
    cKKVwfv.png
    If you go in there, it's the music store and then you can just search in music

Ahh, so here's the confusion... I'm such a dunce.

In the browser there is a tab for it, but on the phone (on the bottom) there are the following tabs:
    BL654vS.png

However if you use the hamburger icon on the left side a modal window shows up:
    JZPVcKG.png

The first time there I clicked on "Open Music App" and didn't see the button "Browse Music". When I click "Browse Music" the search bar appears and it allows me to search/buy albums.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that seems like a real catastrophe of UI and UX

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, that bottom menu should scroll and have all the categories in it

Carpy on
  • Options
    that seems like a real catastrophe of UI and UX

The horrible UI is the reason why I left google music.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    being in quarantine and on wifi full-time not using mobile antenna is great for battery

3r0mgf4ats3r.jpg

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The other hilarious thing that this has resulted in is reduced data usage. I have a 20GB plan, I generally go 8-9GB per month, sometimes go over 10.

with 12 days left in my billing cycle I am at... 104MB used.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    It's a good time to be on Fi, data wise

• Options
    My wife has a S9 and has threatened to move to iPhone for her next handset. The phone has started randomly resetting and she also plugs it in a lot (more than I do mine but she also uses apps like FB that chew through battery).

I've offered to get the battery replaced. She's using this as an opportunity to shop around a bit. Any suggestions?

I don't think she'd be into something like a OnePlus, but she's kinda frustrated with her Samsung.

Use case: "normal" early 40s person apps, including multiple social media apps, with a moderate amount of camera use.

• Options
    What’s the budget? That’s always number one question.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Let's say $600 US? That's probably a little high

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    The new iPhone SE or wait to see what the Pixel 4a ends up with? Either of those would probably be the most rounded choice.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    the oneplus 7T is $500 now, and that's an insane deal on a phone. The camera falls down in lower lighting, but won't be any worse than an S9.

The Pixel 3a is $300 on sale and the 3a XL is $479. The Pixel 4 XL is right at $600. Those three phones are going to be the best cameras, if having the absolute best camera is important. I would not recommendt he smaller Pixel 4 as the battery life is garbage on that phone. The Pixel 4a is also literally about to come out, so if you are thinking Pixel 3a/XL it's worth waiting to see what that phone is like.

If camera is super important, those are the phones to get, those phones also happen to have some of the better update support as well, if that's important.

If camera and timely/longevity of updates isn't super super important there are a billion phones in the $3-400 range that are pretty good, but offer compromises. The Nokia phones are all good and affordable, but cameras aren't great. the Moto G Stylus and Moto G power just came out and got reviewed, and are supposed to be pretty good, but again, with compromises.

Personally, if you can convince her, the OnePlus 7T might be the best bang for your buck phone on Android right now. You're getting a 2019 flagship phone, pretty much the only thing that's truly missing on it is wireless charging, for $500. That's a fantastic deal.

And I do have to mention it, but the new iPhone SE that just got announced might be one of the best smartphone deals of the last couple years. $400 for a really good phone that will get software updates for at least 4 years, probably 5-6, is ridiculous.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is this the secret pixel thread? My pixel 3 charging port is having issues. When I plug it in, it doesn't always "catch" and start charging. I cleaned out the fuzz with a toothpick but still not great.

At least it has wireless charging.

• Options
    Have you tried a different cable?

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hi guys! Cross-posting this from H/A, I hope this is appropriate!

My wife is in the market for a new cell and I was just hoping for some quick advice.

She's currently looking at these four. I'd love your thoughts/suggestions (Prices in Canadian):

Galaxy S10 Lite (current top choice) Snapdragon 855 Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128 Battery: 4500 45W (740$)
    Galaxy S10e 02 Exynos 9820 Chipset RAM:6 ROM: 128 Battery: 3100 15W (850$)
    Galaxy Note9 08 Exynos 9810 Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128 Battery: 4000 15W (600$/used)
    Xiaomi Mi Note Snapdragon 730G Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128(no slot) Battery: 5260 30W (760$)

Any feedback or suggestions appreciated. If you think there are other phones she should check out outside of these, please let me know why, so I can pass the info on.

Main considerations are reliability and durability. Phone will be heavily used all day long and will need constant data connection (Wifi and LTE/4g). Gaming not a factor. If you have any suggestions to offer that can provide the type of performance we need at a lower pricepoint, please don't hesitate!

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Hi guys! Cross-posting this from H/A, I hope this is appropriate!

My wife is in the market for a new cell and I was just hoping for some quick advice.

She's currently looking at these four. I'd love your thoughts/suggestions (Prices in Canadian):

Galaxy S10 Lite (current top choice) Snapdragon 855 Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128 Battery: 4500 45W (740$)
    Galaxy S10e 02 Exynos 9820 Chipset RAM:6 ROM: 128 Battery: 3100 15W (850$)
    Galaxy Note9 08 Exynos 9810 Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128 Battery: 4000 15W (600$/used)
    Xiaomi Mi Note Snapdragon 730G Chipset RAM: 6 ROM: 128(no slot) Battery: 5260 30W (760$)

Any feedback or suggestions appreciated. If you think there are other phones she should check out outside of these, please let me know why, so I can pass the info on.

Main considerations are reliability and durability. Phone will be heavily used all day long and will need constant data connection (Wifi and LTE/4g). Gaming not a factor. If you have any suggestions to offer that can provide the type of performance we need at a lower pricepoint, please don't hesitate!

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions.

Out of those I would go for the S10 Lite. If the other Galaxy phones are using Exynos chips there's knows issues with performance affecting battery life compared to the snapdragon versions. Reviews of the S10 lite show a good battery life matched with solid performance.

• Options
    The S10 Lite is the phone to get of the ones listed.

I do have a question though. The official Canadian skus of the S and Note series all have snapdragon processors, not Exynos. So where are you seeing those phones? Because of that, the phones might not have all the LTE bands that Canadian and US carriers use. I wouldn’t buy an exynos S or Note phone in the North American market because of that.

• Options
    Ok! Thanks guys. That was our feeling as well, but it's always nice to get additional validation. For what it's worth, are there any other phones out there you might recommend alongside the S10 Lite that we may not have considered?

• Options
    Ok! Thanks guys. That was our feeling as well, but it's always nice to get additional validation. For what it's worth, are there any other phones out there you might recommend alongside the S10 Lite that we may not have considered?

The OnePlus 7T is $669 CAD. That’ll be a near universal recommendation ‘round these parts for a really good phone at a reasonable price. You almost can’t go wrong with it. The only place where it falls down just a tad is the camera is not best in class. It’ll still be better than a phone from 2-3 years ago, but it’s not quite as good as the best phones.

The 3800 mah battery is not the biggest you can find, but it should be pretty good on battery, And warp charge 30T will get you 50% charge in half an hour so it does kind of even out.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

The OnePlus 7T is $669 CAD. That’ll be a near universal recommendation ‘round these parts for a really good phone at a reasonable price. You almost can’t go wrong with it. The only place where it falls down just a tad is the camera is not best in class. It’ll still be better than a phone from 2-3 years ago, but it’s not quite as good as the best phones.

The 3800 mah battery is not the biggest you can find, but it should be pretty good on battery, And warp charge 30T will get you 50% charge in half an hour so it does kind of even out.

Great thank you. Can I ask where you see it for 669? We can only find it for 770 right now.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Is this the secret pixel thread? My pixel 3 charging port is having issues. When I plug it in, it doesn't always "catch" and start charging. I cleaned out the fuzz with a toothpick but still not great.

At least it has wireless charging.

Yeah just died occasionally on mine too. Cleaning out the portb bought me a month but just ended up getting a new one. I would tell you to get it replaced. Google does that whole send you a new one send back the old one no charge and only takes a few days.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    D
    wunderbar wrote: »

Great thank you. Can I ask where you see it for 669? We can only find it for 770 right now.

Direct from OnePlus. https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/7t?from=head