As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I am not sold on removal of the back button. Had the new phone for almost a week and I'm still wishing I could just hit back instead of maybe getting the swipe correct.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You get used to it, and then you'll use a different phone and hate having to reach for the back button. I already dislike using my work phone for that reason.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was not feeling it when I first made the switch, now I wish my tablet used the gestures instead too.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Android 9’s pill navigation was pure and utter trash, I have no idea how that made it into a major OS release.

In android 10, the gestures feel way more natural. Honestly my only issue with swiping in from the side to go back is that it’s pretty much killed the slide in drawer a lot of apps used for settings/less used features.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Android 9’s pill navigation was pure and utter trash, I have no idea how that made it into a major OS release.

In android 10, the gestures feel way more natural. Honestly my only issue with swiping in from the side to go back is that it’s pretty much killed the slide in drawer a lot of apps used for settings/less used features.

If you just hold your finger on the edge for a moment, it will peek the drawers out and you can open them.

The only things I don't like about the gestures are that there isn't a forward option for browsers on the other side of the screen, and that split screen is incredibly cumbersome to activate now.

• Options
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    is the S20 still doing the dumb curved screen edges thing
    it's the most annoying part of my S8
    sounds like yes but maybe smaller curves? meh.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    They should add that landscape unlock to all phones.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Late to the party, but yeah, I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Although since I still have a phone with a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, it's kind of a non-issue for me, it just unlocks into a portrait home screen. But for phones reliant on face unlocks and such, and tapped codes and so on, yes, absolutely.

Jazz on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Although since I still have a phone with a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, it's kind of a non-issue for me, it just unlocks into a portrait home screen. But for phones reliant on face unlocks and such, and tapped codes and so on, yes, absolutely.

Wait.. My phone can recognize my face and unlock if I hold it sideways

Can't other phones?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Can't other phones?

Mine (Pixel 4xl) can. But it can't recognize me when I have my CPAP mask on. Which, I shouldn't be using my phone then anyway, but I do what I want mom!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Can't other phones?

That'll teach me to assume stuff. Never mind, then! The only phone I've had that did face unlock was just using a super basic camera view. Moving to a fingerprint scanner was a big step up :lol:

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Picked up a Moto G Power because I got tired of the battery life on my Pixel 3 XL. Jesus, why can't flagships get this kind of battery life? Even with a battery case, my old phone got to the point where it could barely get me through a normal day (much less a slow stay-at-home day).

Going HAM on this new phone and the battery is lasting for... eh... ver.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My 6T still goes strong.

1wvhswlo7m1z.jpg

m4djqiwfo2aa.jpg

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    @Dhalphir how carefully do you try to take care of your battery? Do you not leave it charging overnigth, not allow it to get to 100%, etc?

Is that a special program for monitoring battery?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I use the same app (AccuBattery). I missed when I could get 30-36 hrs from a charge. 24hrs is still decent but not great. I have to run it below 20% to get 24hrs. Pixel 3 vanilla.
    lzzp9nkqo5f1.png
    rqoo43bgxru9.png

I don't charge overnight even if I can't get a full charge ahead of time. I use a mix of chargers. I try to stop charging around 92% which is high but I feel worth the wear.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    It's funny, because until the end of march I was always marvelling at how some people manage to get such good battery life. I was always having to charge by dinner. but then I lost my job, and pretty much haven't left the house except for groceries since then and when I don't actually use my phone for music/podcasts, youtube, gaming, instagram/twitter etc during the day nearly as much, my battery life is now in the 30-36 hour range where before it was 12ish hours.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Also fwiw I'm blaming one of the recent Q updates for me now having reception issues in the office.

I randomly get dropped down to 4G or lose signal altogether in one meeting room, and still manage to have phone calls cut out if I'm next to a window.

I didn't have any of these issues until about 3 weeks ago (give or take).

Also when I cycle Airplane Mode to reset the signal, I see Google Play trying to download ....*something* briefly when I reconnect.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    The Moto G Power ...

dlumbv8hh3nf.png

vs the Pixel 3 XL...

i40yrvww8fs6.png

Even adjusting for the difference in battery size and age, the Pixel is still pretty bad. The trade off is camera quality. The Moto does good in perfect conditions. The Pixel was idiot-proof, could take great pictures in almost any condition.

If only Google had bothered to release the 4a when they were rumored to.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    It's funny, because until the end of march I was always marvelling at how some people manage to get such good battery life. I was always having to charge by dinner. but then I lost my job, and pretty much haven't left the house except for groceries since then and when I don't actually use my phone for music/podcasts, youtube, gaming, instagram/twitter etc during the day nearly as much, my battery life is now in the 30-36 hour range where before it was 12ish hours.

I'm the opposite. When I was working out of the home, my Pixel 4XL would last the whole day easily because I didn't have time to do much with it during the day. Now that I'm working from home, I can do some idle work in gacha games, and I need to charge my phone partway through the day.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Not needing mobile data is the biggest battery saver I've found.

• Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    @Dhalphir how carefully do you try to take care of your battery? Do you not leave it charging overnigth, not allow it to get to 100%, etc?

Is that a special program for monitoring battery?

@tsmvengy I did avoid sub 20% and above 80% religiously for the last 18 months, I've slacked on it a bit lately, but generally I still avoid charging it overnight.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

I mean, it's likely that production on them just was completely stymied by coronavirus so it's not like they didn't want to.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »

I mean, it's likely that production on them just was completely stymied by coronavirus so it's not like they didn't want to.

Didn't really stop the iPhone SE. But also...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1263510838494756873?cxt=HHwWkoCwpbma8ogjAAAA

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Considering how poorly the pixel line ships, and the rumours that google is completely re-doing the pixel strategy, this doesn't really surprise me all that much.

Google needs to fix their Pixel hardware. Sure, they have great cameras, but that's a lot of software, the actual phone hardware is mediocre at best compared to the competition.

• Options
    Considering how poorly the pixel line ships, and the rumours that google is completely re-doing the pixel strategy, this doesn't really surprise me all that much.

Google needs to fix their Pixel hardware. Sure, they have great cameras, but that's a lot of software, the actual phone hardware is mediocre at best compared to the competition.

At least they don't have a goddamn hole punch in the regular pixel 4...

• Options
    I'm actually leaning toward a Oneplus as my next phone, though I really like the form factor of my Pixel 3. It's the first phone I'm debating a battery change soon instead of just replacing the whole thing.

• Options

I really don't see what everyone gets so bent out of shape about hole punch cameras and notches. The hole punch is the absolute least offensive design I've seen. It doesn't obscure anything because it sits in the status bar. I would think that a full screen video would still stop short of that area just like how they handle that with notches.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

I really don't see what everyone gets so bent out of shape about hole punch cameras and notches. The hole punch is the absolute least offensive design I've seen. It doesn't obscure anything because it sits in the status bar. I would think that a full screen video would still stop short of that area just like how they handle that with notches.

It makes the status bar bigger, and it cuts an eyesore of a hole out of the screen. It looks bad.

I know a ton of people don't mind it, but I just can't stand it.

• Options
    I went from a Note 9 to a Note 10+ and I was terrified I was going to hate the hole punch. and I did, for 15 minutes. The number of times I’ve really noticed it since then is almost zero. I much prefer it to a notch because it’s a smaller cutout. Honestly I’d prefer it in the top left corner so it would be more out of the way in landscape, but I honestly thought I would hate the decision to go with it and I didn’t.

that being said i’d of course prefer it not being there, but it’s a compromise we currently have to deal with until the technology catches up. the pixel 4’s forehead looks ancient compared to it, because of the stupid soli cameras in it that looks to be a one and done novely. Without that array it’s likely the forehead could have been reduced in size by 50% or more, which would have made a huge difference.

As for the status bar being taller.... phone screens are massive now, a few extra pixels for the status bar, in my opinion, actually helps with being able to see/read the icons in said status bar, and it’s not like those extra pixels take away significant amounts of screen real estate. We’re talking half the height of a line of text on a webpage, maybe.

• Options
    idk, the technology has caught up, it's called a popup camera

and all of the fearmongering around "moving parts" hasn't come to fruition as there has been about a dozen high volume phones that have had it and there have been no significant complaints of longevity issues with the mechanism of the camera

i don't understand why 2020 took a step backwards by going hole punch over pop up.

• Options
    How long have those been around?

• Options
    Early 2018, about two years.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

and all of the fearmongering around "moving parts" hasn't come to fruition as there has been about a dozen high volume phones that have had it and there have been no significant complaints of longevity issues with the mechanism of the camera

i don't understand why 2020 took a step backwards by going hole punch over pop up.

Phones with pop up cameras to this point have had no water resistance. That may not matter to you, but for a lot of people it matters a lot.

• Options
    I went from a Note 9 to a Note 10+ and I was terrified I was going to hate the hole punch. and I did, for 15 minutes. The number of times I’ve really noticed it since then is almost zero. I much prefer it to a notch because it’s a smaller cutout. Honestly I’d prefer it in the top left corner so it would be more out of the way in landscape, but I honestly thought I would hate the decision to go with it and I didn’t.

that being said i’d of course prefer it not being there, but it’s a compromise we currently have to deal with until the technology catches up. the pixel 4’s forehead looks ancient compared to it, because of the stupid soli cameras in it that looks to be a one and done novely. Without that array it’s likely the forehead could have been reduced in size by 50% or more, which would have made a huge difference.

As for the status bar being taller.... phone screens are massive now, a few extra pixels for the status bar, in my opinion, actually helps with being able to see/read the icons in said status bar, and it’s not like those extra pixels take away significant amounts of screen real estate. We’re talking half the height of a line of text on a webpage, maybe.

Like I said, I know a lot of people don't mind, but I just can't stand it. It's like I bought a monitor with a cluster of dead pixels. That's why I went with the Pixel 4xl. Even though it's not as powerful, it's perfect for my needs and no hole punch. Using my S10e for work just drives me crazy.

• Options
    128GB OnePlus 6T at B&H for $300 and damn is that tempting.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Phones with pop up cameras to this point have had no water resistance. That may not matter to you, but for a lot of people it matters a lot.

Cost of manufacturing along with the lack of water resistance didn't produce the sales numbers these manufactures wanted with pop up cameras on phones. I suspect they will return in a few years if they can get full IP ratings.

As for the hole punch. I've found it's more of an issue when you go back to a phone that has a massive notch or chin. You kinda appreciate the hole punch more. Well, that is if you didn't go for the S10+ or 5G version (for which you might as well had a massive notch).

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The hole punch on my Note 10+ was weird as hell for the first two days, but after that I didn't even see it.

I'm too ugly for selfies, so outside of checking to make sure I didn't have lettuce in my teeth I don't think I've ever actually used my front camera, and I would be perfectly fine using a phone without one.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The hole punch on my Note 10+ was weird as hell for the first two days, but after that I didn't even see it.

I'm too ugly for selfies, so outside of checking to make sure I didn't have lettuce in my teeth I don't think I've ever actually used my front camera, and I would be perfectly fine using a phone without one.

Front cameras are awfully helpful for video calls too....

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    If I'm too ugly for highly curated selfies than I'm definitely too ugly for live video calls.

SmokeStacks on