As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, the new resource systems seem.. intense.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I think a 9pm UK start time is eminently more do-able!

I've never played an MP game before, how does the whole thing go down with regards to race choosing at such?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I think a 9pm UK start time is eminently more do-able!

I've never played an MP game before, how does the whole thing go down with regards to race choosing at such?

There's a lobby system wherein you pick from your custom guys, or can make a new one, before launching the game. Post-launch, empire control can be given over to basically whoever pops in.

2100 UK time is presently before basically anyone in America gets out of work, which isn't gonna fly on a Friday but might on Saturday or Sunday.

• Options
    I have that Friday off so I'd be fine with pushing the time up, if nobody else has issue.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I have that Friday off so I'd be fine with pushing the time up, if nobody else has issue.

It's pretty unlikely I'm free before 1800 Eastern, so it's not gonna work for me on Friday. Again, on the weekend, different story.

• Options
    Oh snap, I got my pacifics and my easterns mixed up there. Don't mind starting up at 12, though I might have to bail on the latter parts of the game!

I'd be happy to do either Friday or Saturday.

• Options
    Saturday I'd be busy, but if that works better for the most people then go for it.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Oh snap, I got my pacifics and my easterns mixed up there. Don't mind starting up at 12, though I might have to bail on the latter parts of the game!

I'd be happy to do either Friday or Saturday.

If you don't mind being up late, it seems like so far you're the only one the time doesn't fly for, so probably best we not try to move things. But it's not like we can't try again or start another at some point!

• Options
    Oh goodness yes. It'd be cool to play, but I very much realise I'm on the minority here. I'd much rather more folks get to play at a reasonable time for them.

• Options
    Been watching OldManMordaith's early-copy stream a lot of today since work was slow and he kept appearing on the Dev Clash-related twitters. I think @TheKoolEagle was in there for a bit as well, actually!

I think the people arguing that 2.2 may make it difficult / inconvenient to build up your military might have a point, though he's on a Megacorp with pretty-friendly neighbors and getting away with a small-ish army.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Been watching OldManMordaith's early-copy stream a lot of today since work was slow and he kept appearing on the Dev Clash-related twitters. I think @TheKoolEagle was in there for a bit as well, actually!

I think the people arguing that 2.2 may make it difficult / inconvenient to build up your military might have a point, though he's on a Megacorp with pretty-friendly neighbors and getting away with a small-ish army.

Oldmanmordaith is a great guy, I highly recommend his stream

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Why would 2.2 make it hard to build up your military?

• Options
    edited November 2018

a) Everything military-related is built with Alloys, which require their own support infrastructure / aggressive use of the Markets to get a bunch of.
    b) Anchorages compete for Starbase slots with the things that collect Trade Value, and you really do want Trade Value.

E: I'm not convinced it's a problem that can't be solved as yet, but even most of the players in the Dev Clash were finding it problematic.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    All hail 2.3, our one true patch savior!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I kinda like the sound of it being harder to build up a fleet since it'll make ships feel less disposable. Of course, if the events aren't balanced to account for less powerful fleets I can see getting invaded by some fallen empire doomfleet getting obnoxious in a hurry.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I can't imagine playing this, or any Paradox game, in multiplayer. I like to play on a high speed but pausing all the time. Taking away my pause would be crippling.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    you learn to live with it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So, someone with an early code did a step-by-step look at every trait to show what has changed.

Other than the "+% for X" to "+%X from Jobs" the interesting ones are

-Thrify is now +25% Trade Value, Ingenious is the new +EC
    -Rapid Breeders/Slow Breeders are now a +/-2 traits
    -Strong/V. Strong/Weak now affect "Worker (strata?) output," not just (specifically) Mineral output.
    -Comunal and Solitary affect housing requirement, instead of simply happy/sad.
    -Charismatic/Repugnant now affects Amenities from jobs, instead of simply making other pops happy/sad. Also now +/-2
    -Decadent now simply reduces happiness from been workers, and even more being slaves
    -Nomadic/Sedentary affects pop growth from immigration.
    -Conformist is now a +2 trait, but Deviants is still -1
    -Efficient Processors are now a +3 trait, but have +5% output for everything.
    -Double Jointed and Bulky are now about Housing, not resettlement cost
    -Emotion Emulators/Uncanny are also about amenities from jobs now.

Also did edicts to, but there were a LOT of changes, and a few of them make no sense without actually seeing what they do in game.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nooooooo! Repugnant was what my trash people were built around! Dammit. I'm gonna have to figure out another way to do a Migration blitz

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I don't really see how new Repugnant impacts migration? If anything, it Repugnant species will have less trouble getting migration treaties signed.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Nooooooo! Repugnant was what my trash people were built around! Dammit. I'm gonna have to figure out another way to do a Migration blitz

There's probably more ways to make them effective, since ++pop growth will continue to shift the demographics of full planets, and there's more ways for a pop to impact society. Ex: fast breeding, solitary, decadent, deviants, will increase housing costs, be grumpy unless they're in the upper strata, and probably have a more divisive effect on social cohesion if they are.

Instead of sending waves of ugly, unwashed nudists to gross everyone out, now you might be able to send waves of entitled brats to take all the good jobs and bolster the guillotine industry.

• Options
    yea, its gonna take some research. in the old system happiness was a big part of production output and fast breeders with repugnant could cut an entire civ's economy by 20% in the span of a couple decades. it was a bane against players that love to redline their economy and suddenly, nothing was working

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So lesson learned, don't research AI.

Spoilers for that event I guess
    I like that you can pick a side, if you pick the robot uprising, do you get the same doom stacks?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

a) Everything military-related is built with Alloys, which require their own support infrastructure / aggressive use of the Markets to get a bunch of.
    b) Anchorages compete for Starbase slots with the things that collect Trade Value, and you really do want Trade Value.

E: I'm not convinced it's a problem that can't be solved as yet, but even most of the players in the Dev Clash were finding it problematic.

I kind of like the sound of this. It was trivial to fill your fleet capacity previously, and I like the idea of mass militarization having a legitimate opportunity cost.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

I like that you can pick a side, if you pick the robot uprising, do you get the same doom stacks?

I dont think so, but ive not played that scenario. If you dont mind digging, Aspec put up a vid about everything related to the robot uprising. There is even a rare event to allow peaceful integration of AI with your organics, if you are super proactive and make sure sentient bots get the same rights as organics.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

I kind of like the sound of this. It was trivial to fill your fleet capacity previously, and I like the idea of mass militarization having a legitimate opportunity cost.

Yeah, again, not yet sure if it's a problem-problem but it's definitely something that needs to be tackled.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

I dont think so, but ive not played that scenario. If you dont mind digging, Aspec put up a vid about everything related to the robot uprising. There is even a rare event to allow peaceful integration of AI with your organics, if you are super proactive and make sure sentient bots get the same rights as organics.

Yeah, it will not occur at all if robots have full rights, only with servitude or less.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Instead of sending waves of ugly, unwashed nudists to gross everyone out, now you might be able to send waves of entitled brats to take all the good jobs and bolster the guillotine industry.

The true takeaway here is that gene-editing can fix millennials!

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

The true takeaway here is that gene-editing can fix millennials!

Looking at millennials today, I cant help but think eugenics had a good idea, but failed horribly in its planning and execution. :p

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to have any time to play before the multiplayer game on Friday, so I'm going to be mostly stumbling around like a noob. I have no idea what all the new resources do, even. What's an alloys? How do I housing? How I mine for jobs?

• Options
    You'll be right there with the rest of us. :D

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    You'll be right there with the rest of us. :D

Nonsense, by the end of Friday I was explaining new systems to KoolEagle on his stream.

It probably got a little annoying, tbh.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    yeah I put myself in front of 100 people watching e bumble through stuff, you'll be fine on Friday :D

edit: also its not annoying if you are explaining something that I am clearly missing, if you sit and backseat game telling me hey the best thing to build now is x is gunna get annoying real fast haha

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    yeah I put myself in front of 100 people watching e bumble through stuff, you'll be fine on Friday :D

edit: also its not annoying if you are explaining something that I am clearly missing, if you sit and backseat game telling me hey the best thing to build now is x is gunna get annoying real fast haha

I was honestly trying to help; hopefully it didn't get oppressive!

I did feel some complicated German word involving ambivalence and I-told-you-so and chagrin all at once when Cybrex and Primitives were over where I was saying you oughtta survey not long after you were like "Nah, I wanna look around up here," though.

E: Thinking on it some more, that latter bit might've been Mordaith, not KoolEagle.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    The ecumanopolis is a great addition because now I can make cybertron for my assimilators.

The machine world was nice, but it required me to plan worlds to not have organics on them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Isn't having organics just a temporary problem for assimilators? After a couple of years they are upgraded and happily join your empire!

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Also, Sign up! for the game friday assuming we start 00:00 GMT. I get home from work around 22-23.

• Options
    Now that we're a little closer and have absorbed some previews, anyone want to speculate on what they'll play Friday?

I remain pretty attached to the idea of going Megachurch.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I usually play something materialist. I might go with some science jellyfish, with either xenophile or pacifism.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Now that we're a little closer and have absorbed some previews, anyone want to speculate on what they'll play Friday?

I remain pretty attached to the idea of going Megachurch.

Egalitarian, Xenophile; Shared Burden (and maybe another new Civic if there are any other new Civics). Eventually Xeno-Compatibility.

I'll probably try out the Worker advisor voice for a while, but most likely I'll soon switch back to the Hive Mind voice.

What is a single voice compared to a magnificent chorus? Our collective is an island of warmth and harmony in a sea of discord. How cold and lonely it must be to face the darkness of space alone.