Wolverine is a [Marvel] Character

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Kamala could pretty easily be a mutant instead

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean

do they need the Inhumans for any of the big stories they might want to tell next?

Ms Marvel, I guess?

One of the clever parts of Ms Marvel is that she is barely connected to the Inhumans stuff.

Royal family? Sure she barely has any connection there.
    Inhumans in general? She has had quite a lot of connection with them.

Her book isn't really about how she is an Inhuman

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I mean

do they need the Inhumans for any of the big stories they might want to tell next?

Ms Marvel, I guess?

One of the clever parts of Ms Marvel is that she is barely connected to the Inhumans stuff.

Royal family? Sure she barely has any connection there.
    Inhumans in general? She has had quite a lot of connection with them.

Her book isn't really about how she is an Inhuman

Several of her villains have been inhumans, as well as possibly her brother. The brother thing only really works as an Inhuman thing though, since mutants seem to develop powers around puberty and "might be a kinda mutant, but hasn't developed powers yet" doesn't seem to be a thing. Also Kamala gaining her powers as a result of an act of disobedience seems really well thematically connected to her character arc.

There's some thematic differences between general mutants and inhumans in Ms Marvel's book. Mutants tend to be disparaged because they're mutants, while in Ms Marvel's book quite a few Inhumans tend to be people who were already disparaged before terrigenesis, but have since gained powers and the result is how they deal with that change. Kamala becomes a hero, others use that to become villains.

In regards to including them in the MCU, it seems more complicated to introduce the mutants and their attendant baggage, than to just ignore the Inhuman Royal Family and introduce Kamala as an Inhuman.

Dedwrekka on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    Plus, Inhumans already exist in the MCU and there was a public freakout about them and people know about them and they're everywhere and... guys, guys, no I mean it, Agents of SHIELD is totally in the MCU!

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    There was an idea brought up in this thread that Kamala should get her powers from an accident involving the Skrulls and that fits perfectly and I’m in love with it

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Wolverine
    Kamala being an Inhuman is like the least important thing about her character

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I refuse to see captain marvel 2 unless daisy johnson is in it to recap the events of agents of shield season 2

PNk1Ml4.png
    Jimothy wrote: »
    There was an idea brought up in this thread that Kamala should get her powers from an accident involving the Skrulls and that fits perfectly and I’m in love with it

Why would she hide the fact from her family that she got into an accident involving alien invaders?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

Why would she hide the fact from her family that she got into an accident involving alien invaders?
    Because she still wants to be a superhero?

She doesn't hide her powers because she's Inhuman, she hides them because she thinks her family wouldn't approve of her being Ms. Marvel.

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, it's not like we don't have examples of heroes hiding their powers when they aren't Inhumans.

Also, it's not like we don't have examples of heroes hiding their powers when they aren't Inhumans.

Originally she wasn't telling her parents because her getting powers was related to her act of disobedience and she was afraid that if her parents discovered she got powers as a result of that they would freak out more than they already did. Her getting powers was a direct result of her disobedience, and it and her subsequent reactions were related directly to her family and culture. Particularly in regards to her gaining her powers as a result of trying to be someone other than herself socially, and the first manifestations of her powers being her trying to be someone other than herself physically.

If she's just a mutant, her getting powers doesn't really relate back to her family in the same way. It's just a quirk that happened to show up at that point but was always going to show up at that point regardless of her actions. The terrigenesis part of her story makes it something that's a result of her decision and she could have avoided it.
    If she gets it as the result of an alien invasion, those tend to not be localized to a small area, why wouldn't she have been outside? Aliens are invading, why wouldn't she have been trying to escape? It doesn't interact with her as a person or her actions or decisions at all, it's just some outside force.
    Keith wrote: »
    Kamala being an Inhuman is like the least important thing about her character

Oh I agree, but how she gets her powers and how they manifest are part of her first character arc. The alternatives being offered seem to have holes or extra baggage associated with them. To me the important beats of her first getting her powers are:
    She gets them as a result of her own actions trying to fit in
    Her powers first manifest themselves by altering her to fit a skewed cultural ideal of beauty
    She immediately proves that she's heroic
    She learns that attempting to fit an unrealistic view is dangerous to her
    She hides them because she's afraid of the backlash from her parents

It doesn't have to be inhuman powers, but "she's a mutant" or "Alien invasion" don't seem to really interact with the character in the same way. She happens to be involved in a chemical spill that happens on her way home or something that actually interacts with her being at the wrong place at the wrong time would work.

I mean

Having her mutant powers manifest while she was disobeying and breaking curfew would get the same story beats 90% of the way there. She's a teenage girl freaking out about rebelling for the first time and also being a superpowered weirdo for the rest of her life. The logical "Oh well these would have manifested at some point anyways" line of thought probably wouldn't have factored in until much later

CYpGAPn.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ms. Marvel being an inhuman marks the Marvel universe feel more diverse, it's neat that she's not a science! mishap or aliens or mutants

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    I went to Toys R Us today and used up all my reward points before the store ceases to exist and got the new Avengers Lego set with Black Panther for free. Also got the two sets with the Guardians/Thor/Thanos in them. Now I just need the Sanctum Santorum set.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I mean, the inhumans were Kree experiments. Technically she's both a science mishap and a mutant, caused by aliens.

Actually, with Captain Marvel introducing the Kree, they could keep the Kree thing and just not mention the inhumans. The Kree experimented on cave people and now thousands of years later, one of those descendants comes into contact with some sort of Kree energy source that activates her dormant genes.

Edit: Guardians had the Kree, of course.

David_T on
    13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Some bad guy group like AIM or whatever blankets the city in some gas that awakens dormant M-genes or otherwise gives random people random powers. Boom done.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Wolverine
    Lego Update: Got the two space sets built. Rocket's pod docks totally seamlessly with the Not Milano ship. It docks so well that it is 100% solid and makes the docking between the Lego Star Wars Ghost and Phantom seem like a piece of shit trash fire. The Not Milano (No idea if it is actually the Milano. It is all orange and grey with no blue so I think it is just another Ravanger ship they have now) is by far the best version of this type Lego has made. There is a bunch of room inside and even two extra seats. If you dock Rocket's pod that holds three so you can have seven minifigs all seated comfortably inside. Even more if you take out the Gauntlet from the storage bay in back. Plus the wings are all built in a cool upward sweeping angle and it make the whole thing look much better.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    Sorce wrote: »
    I mean

They were going to get a movie at one point. And then Marvel got control of Spider-Man.

The current theory is that Inhumans was being pushed by Perlmutter (As a replacement for teh X-men, whom he was pissed they didn't have the rights to) but then Fiege got Marvel Studios out from under Perlmutter, and took the Inhumans off the schedule; which was then picked up by Marvel's TV division, which just so happens to still be under Perlmutter's control.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    Lego Update: Got the two space sets built. Rocket's pod docks totally seamlessly with the Not Milano ship. It docks so well that it is 100% solid and makes the docking between the Lego Star Wars Ghost and Phantom seem like a piece of shit trash fire. The Not Milano (No idea if it is actually the Milano. It is all orange and grey with no blue so I think it is just another Ravanger ship they have now) is by far the best version of this type Lego has made. There is a bunch of room inside and even two extra seats. If you dock Rocket's pod that holds three so you can have seven minifigs all seated comfortably inside. Even more if you take out the Gauntlet from the storage bay in back. Plus the wings are all built in a cool upward sweeping angle and it make the whole thing look much better.

Wow, that's high praise, the first Milano is one of my all time favorite sets, period. It's very solid and has more room than I'd have thought for figures so it sounds like they went back to that school of design after the pretty disappointing GotG 2 version.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Wolverine
    I went to Toys R Us today and used up all my reward points before the store ceases to exist and got the new Avengers Lego set with Black Panther for free. Also got the two sets with the Guardians/Thor/Thanos in them. Now I just need the Sanctum Santorum set.

Ew.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Don't kink-shame.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tumblr_p5ghkrAquv1qhb02oo1_540.jpg
    http://marcusto.tumblr.com/post/171781159278/wip-xmen-theraidstudio-at-queen-street-west

Marcus To just put this up, tagged "xmen" and "wip", which is interesting to me, he hasn't been solicited on any X-books that I know of.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    Marvel a large amount of recent collections for a buck a piece at comixology right now
    https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Recent-Collections-Sale/page/17867?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You can get the entire series of Tom King's Vision for .99, that's pretty insane

edited March 2018
    Valerio Schiti revealed 9 armor designs for Tony Stark: Iron Man, saying that they are gonna have a constant stream of variant armors throughout the book
    hq5rn7ww7pek.jpg
    wz1n8tmintmd.jpg
    ksmvt223c7sh.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    I want all of those action figures.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    He put a spacesuit on over another spacesuit

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I like the suit within a suit

I am a big fan of the one that is just a pair of big fuck off arms bolted onto the armor

CYpGAPn.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That silver and red one on the middle image, left side, is extremely my thing. Looks like an update to the silver centurion or the suitcase suit.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Top left - now that's a Gundam
    Middle middle - and that's a Transformer
    Bottom middle - and that's the ATAX armor from the 90's Kenner Aliens toyline

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Wolverine
    hey what's good in this sale for someone who has only tangentially been keeping up with comics forever?

There's an awkward amount of here's vol 2 or 4 of a thing and I just don't know what's what in most of it.

initiatefailure on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    Top left - now that's a Gundam
    Middle middle - and that's a Transformer
    Bottom middle - and that's the ATAX armor from the 90's Kenner Aliens toyline

Yeah, it's great. I love the wide variance in styles

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Wolverine
    They should have Square Enix design a bunch of suits for Tony

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wolverine
    hey what's good in this sale for someone who has only tangentially been keeping up with comics forever?

There's an awkward amount of here's vol 2 or 4 of a thing and I just don't know what's what in most of it.

Looking at that list:
    Vision complete series
    Jean Grey volume 1
    Iceman volume 1
    Astonishing X-Men Volume 1

All of those are good imo

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    They should have Square Enix design a bunch of suits for Tony

They've done a couple for their Play Arts Kai line

A toy company name Sentinel has made some figures that are variations of existing suits too

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Wolverine
    I have bought that vision collection. I don't know what else to look for though.

edit: didn't see the last reply to me. I'll check those out too.

initiatefailure on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm seeing Geoff Johns' Avengers Vols 1 and 2.

And uhh... Marvel Mangaverse complete collection? That's more out of morbid curiosity. Unless it's actually good. Is it?

edited March 2018
    My recommendations from that sale:
    Vision by Tom King
    All-New Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 & 2
    Darth Vader: The Imperial Machine
    Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1
    Generation X Vol. 1
    Royals Vol. 1 & 2
    Black Bolt Vol. 1
    New Mutants by Zeb Wells: The Complete Collection
    Rocket: The Blue River Score
    Inhumans: Once and Future Kings
    Thor by Walter Simonson Vol. 1 & 2
    Ka-Zar by Mark Waid Vol. 1 & 2
    Avengers: The Complete Collection by Geoff Johns Vol. 1 & 2

There are other great books in there but these are the best largely standalone ones I could see

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.