As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May your names be enscribeled forever [SBFP]

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Discord has diminishing returns since I get weakness exploit by getting him to quote me on Twitter

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Apparently the music-puzzle in Undertale displays notation after a little while? Liam just eared it with his youthful, vibrant ears.

I believe it didn't originally, but they added that in a patch.

Because some people, like me, have partial hearing loss and thus have an incredibly difficult time distinguishing very similar tones.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Apparently the music-puzzle in Undertale displays notation after a little while? Liam just eared it with his youthful, vibrant ears.

I believe it didn't originally, but they added that in a patch.

Yup.

I think I remember hearing that it was an accessibility thing, for people who are hard of hearing.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Discord has diminishing returns since I get weakness exploit by getting him to quote me on Twitter

That’s more thundercage vs plunderblade imo

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I appreciate these Monster Hunter videos because i'm sometimes tempted to give it a try

But then i see 36 minutes worth of menus and upgrade materials and i know that i'm good on sitting this one out

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I found the twitter

Personally I like pat back seating like crazy because then I learn about how to monster hunter

And also I like it when they do it to the point of being really irritating because normally they’d complain about superfans upset that their favorite game is being played suboptimally

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Woolie could figure out most of the important shit on his own if Pat would just link him to kiranico

https://mhworld.kiranico.com/

This is a hell of a site if you want to learn about hte ins and outs of the Monster Hunting

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I've said it elsewhere but Pat & Woolie's first MHW video was so helpful it kept me from falling hard off MHW, I was around the same place Woolie was in game at the time. Now I'm all the way at HR69 hunting tempered monsters so... I'm glad they're getting that info out there even if it isn't flawless it is still helpful (and I've become deadened to menu LPs due to KOTOR).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I largely got into monster hunter on my own. Picked up Tri after seeing those wonderfully cheesy commercials and kind of went from there.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I would enjoy seeing them try and get into Path of Exile but unless you help them with a build guide and mechanics explainer I don't see them enjoying it very much. Would be a hoot seeing their reaction to some of the gameplay elements and the passive skill tree though.

Absalon on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That tree is awful. Somebody threw it at me as a sharingan and I was incapacitated for three hours.

• Options

I would let Pat lose every SOS'd investigation he does for the rest of his time playing World if it meant I could make my ridiculous-looking set look like the Great Girros set.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Pat, you play FF14.

You know damn well that glamouring equipment does not hinder people who want to inspect your gear and judge you for it.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Pat is currently having a meltdown on Twitter. It is both hilarious and 100% correct.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Someone's arguing with him about hardcore vs casual play? How did that start?

• Options
    Woolie's dedication to how his armour looks above what skills it activates in Monster Hunter World.

That comment about how doing a multiplayer game means you're playing on other peoples' time and having an impact on their enjoyment is a bit too real. That's a major reason why fighting games stress me out so much, and why it takes me so long to be prepared to do raid stuff in FF14.

• Options
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    If a game cannot allow for the aesthetic vagaries of the player, it has failed. None of this is Woolie's fault.

Separate stats from looks. Couldn't be simpler.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well if the whole game is based around killing monsters for their parts and skins and stuff...having the look tied to the monster is kinda important for the theming.

Woolie's free to dress however he wants, but if his equipment is holding him back he can't really complain about anything. Including people pointing that out and trying to highlight how easy it would be to improve his equipment and therefore make the gameplay/balance better.

Like he said on one Podcast, he's playing it like an action game with some RPG elements. Which isn't going to hold up as he gets further in. My problem was I wanted it to be an RPG with some action, and it didn't work out for me either.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    monster hunter's also not so fucking hard that you need to be wearing the optimal clownsuit or you're HURTING THE RAID OMG

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Clownsuit is pretty new. I'm used to it being WEAR ALL THE ARMOUR PIECES FROM THIS MONSTER OR NOTHING WORKS AAAAAAAA

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This whole thing is funny to me because the videos that made all this blow up, Woolie JUST got pink rathian.

The gear you're using pre-HR and early-HR really doesn't matter that much, and optimizing your set is more a late HR/elders/tempered monster thing. People are nitpicking him for bullshit that doesn't even matter at this point.

Like, he's just reached the point where you start figuring this shit out and it starts mattering.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's almost like tying specific abilities to armor sets and encouraging people to put that over aesthetics is a design choice that encourages people to be exclusionary or something
    Give every game a "glamour" type mechanic

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I've said it elsewhere but Pat & Woolie's first MHW video was so helpful it kept me from falling hard off MHW, I was around the same place Woolie was in game at the time. Now I'm all the way at HR69 hunting tempered monsters so... I'm glad they're getting that info out there even if it isn't flawless it is still helpful (and I've become deadened to menu LPs due to KOTOR).

Nice

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Clownsuit is pretty new. I'm used to it being WEAR ALL THE ARMOUR PIECES FROM THIS MONSTER OR NOTHING WORKS AAAAAAAA

Only if you didn't use the algorithms and Excel-documents to match skills.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    This whole thing is funny to me because the videos that made all this blow up, Woolie JUST got pink rathian.

The gear you're using pre-HR and early-HR really doesn't matter that much, and optimizing your set is more a late HR/elders/tempered monster thing. People are nitpicking him for bullshit that doesn't even matter at this point.

Like, he's just reached the point where you start figuring this shit out and it starts mattering.

THis is actually what I suggested to Pat: that if he gives Woolie the resources he needs to learn the system and plan out builds, Woolie will become a Hell of a player on his own and at his own pace

As it is the full wrath of the overlap between SBFP fans and MonHun fans (and it's significant) has fallen on Woolie, telling him his shit is rancid and etc., and that's horrible and he shouldn't have to go through that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I would let Pat lose every SOS'd investigation he does for the rest of his time playing World if it meant I could make my ridiculous-looking set look like the Great Girros set.

Wow, Pat is right! That IS REALLY shitty. Also as primarily a solo-player, I am confused by how it is helpful to know who is "going to ruin" your 1-cart investigation? Can you kick people or something? If so, that seems... extremely shitty and exclusionary. I'm also just somewhat confused by the concept of calling in randos on a low-margin of error mission and getting pissed when it goes south. Like, if it's that much of a problem do it solo? Or play with people you know when you've got one cart? Like, this whole thing feels like an incredibly toxic excuse to try and justify a controversial design decision.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    y'all folks like videogames???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTh71ThTUk

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    My strategy for Monster Hunter is to spend hours slaving over Athena's Armor Set Search until I figure out how to get a combination which gives me the skills I need while not requiring any clothes I find hideous. If that means I have to downgrade Attack Up from M to S and wear low-rank boots, so be it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I'd be against pat but I've met Ice Mages and Honest Healers in ffxiv to the point where I just votekick or drop group instead of subject myself to it so I guess I've been Radicalized

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    It's weird. I've never run into those in FFXIV. Or at least, not that I've been able to notice. Mayhap I'm overly self-conscious to the point that I don't even watch for that sort of thing in others.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    My honest advice is to never, EVER turn a parser on in duty finder. It's basically the glasses from They Live.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The heck are honest healers and ice mages

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The heck are honest healers and ice mages

The former is a healer player who never, ever, ever performs an attack, and will get mad at you for suggesting they do. It's heals and nothing but heals, regardless of how full on HP people are, or the fact that fights would go quicker if they were dropping some damage-over-time spells on the enemies during a lull in incoming damage.

The latter is a Black Mage who only uses Ice magic. The way Black Mages work in FFXIV is that they have two special states based on Fire or Ice. In their Fire state, their Fire-elemental spells have their damage boosted immensely, but they cost more MP to cast, and the enchantment disables the Black Mage's ability to regenerate MP. In their Ice state, the cost and power of Fire spells are dropped to almost nothing, and MP regeneration is cranked up very high. The intended cycle is for a Black Mage to go into Fire form and burn through all their MP in a huge burst of damage, and then swap to the Ice enchantment and regenerate to full MP. Then go back to Fire and continue the cycle of going nova and then hibernating. An Ice Mage will refuse that premise and just spam the low-power Ice spells, on the principle that that way they'll never run out of MP; this results in their outgoing damage being very low.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I'd be against pat but I've met Ice Mages and Honest Healers in ffxiv to the point where I just votekick or drop group instead of subject myself to it so I guess I've been Radicalized

The difference here is this is easily soloed content, so the decision to call in randoms to help is entirely up to the player. Like, a one-cart investigation is something you NEVER have to do to progress at any point in time and if you do want to do it, then doing it solo is safer if you don't want someone to fuck it up. Or if you don't want to play solo, coordinate with friends. Pat is arguing against allowing people to customize their appearance so he can be a dick in an immensely easy to avoid situation.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    That is a pretty massive misrepresentation of what Pat has been saying.

He is not arguing against appearance customization.

• Options
    Then I'm not really sure what he is saying in that tweet?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    What Pat is saying is that if you choose to leave solo play and join multiplayer sessions but also don't even try to have a gear set that makes any kind of sense then you are actively screwing over the other players.

He's saying that you don't have to obsess over being optimal, but if you're playing with others then you should at least care about being functional and viable. He's saying don't join someone else's hunt wearing gear that gives you a ton of ranged skills with a melee weapon, or with tons of weakness to an element the monster uses, and shit like that. He's saying that "I don't care I just want to look how I want" is selfish and irresponsible if you are engaging in non-solo play.

This problem would be solved if the game had a proper transmog system, but it doesn't.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Monster Hunter ain't that hard

I will judge no one for playing fashion first unless we're hunting a fuckin' elder dragon or something

Like yeah maybe don't load up on fire-weak armor if we're fighting a Rathian, that's real dumb, but at the end of the day you're the one dying and losing too, so

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Long story short: If you are using up carts, it's your fault that the hunt fails. If you're not carting, it's probably not your fault.

Monsters have two states. Multiplayer and not multiplayer. There isn't more granularity, like a three player state or four player state.
    But parties aren't always four players. What this means is that the DPS-check for clearing a quest at all has to be achievable with a "fair" performance from two players.
    If there are four players, and two of them put their controllers down, that ought to be good enough, if tedious.

This discussion has been closed.