As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Probably been fixed by now, but the World Series MVP Wikipedia page got a good edit.

x6p7madnyfqe.jpeg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We had a trade!

Padres get
    Zach Davies
    Trent Grisham

Brewers get
    Luis Urias
    Eric Lauer

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm starting to get real worried that the Cubs are gonna get fleeced in a Kris Bryant trade. And I genuinely don't understand the reasoning behind trading him. He's the best player on the team! They've got fucking nothing to replace him, and they're reportedly waiting until the other good third basemen on the market get signed before they trade him, so there's no real chance they're going to get anyone to replace him that way, either. And what are they even trying to get in return? What's the purpose of this, other than to say they did something big?

If they want to shake up the roster, I get it, the last two years, they've underperformed, and their work at the end of the season has been especially dire. But there's still a pretty solid core of talent there, so unless you're moving all of them, I don't understand the idea of trading, again, your best player for prospects, which is what you're going to get from teams who are trading for a proven player nearing the end of his contract. Teams like, say, the Braves, aren't going to trade away players with years of control who can contribute now for a guy they only have for one or two years. And rebuilding teams aren't going to trade valuable rebuilding pieces for a guy with limited time left on his contract, either.

And...the lineup had its problems, but the aging rotation and the completely unreliable bullpen were the Cubs' major problems last year, and I don't know what exactly they're going to do to plug those holes when they, apparently, aren't going to spend any money in free agency again. They keep talking about how they're going to reshape the team via trade, but, and maybe I'm missing something, I don't see how trading guys like Bryant or Contreras isn't going to cause more problems than it solves. And beyond that, who else are you going to trade? I have a hard time imagining them trading Baez or Rizzo, both of whom are probably realistic candidates to sign extensions. Nobody's going to trade for Heyward's contract, even if he did have a solid year last year. They can't afford to trade Kyle Hendricks, since he's the most reliable pitcher they have, and nobody is going to give up anything for any of their other pitchers. Beyond that you have like...Schwarber, who was pretty good last year, but who also isn't going to inspire much in a trade.

So I dunno, I guess maybe Theo Epstein is seeing the writing on the wall, and is trying to do something, but fuck, I don't know if making a trade right now can possibly improve the team more than if they wait until the trade deadline or next offseason.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Sony and MLB have agreed to continue producing The Show for several more years at minimum

In addition, The Show will become a multi-platform game in 2021

still the best sports game series. this year was the best one I've played to date... unlike Madden, it's generally getting better with time

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gregorious to the Phillies.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hooray, the Angels found a sucker(the Giants) to take Zack Cozart

The fact that this came shortly after word that the Angels were checking in with Anthony Rendon has me worried about them spending money in the wrong places. Rendon is great and all, but we need more pitching this offseason than just Dylan Bundy. Though getting rid of Cozart does clear up nearly 13 million for the season.

If the Angels somehow swing Rendon and Gerrit Cole though.... Luxury tax be damned it would be an interesting season to watch.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Actually kind of happy with that deal. Cozart will probably (hopefully!) never play, but they essentially bought the Angels 1st round pick from 2019.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Sony and MLB have agreed to continue producing The Show for several more years at minimum

In addition, The Show will become a multi-platform game in 2021

still the best sports game series. this year was the best one I've played to date... unlike Madden, it's generally getting better with time

I'm happy about this because I can finally play this on the xbox. My wife was like "you can take the mariners to the world series!" And I said "oh you want me to play on impossible difficulty?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Actually kind of happy with that deal. Cozart will probably (hopefully!) never play, but they essentially bought the Angels 1st round pick from 2019.

Honestly still annoyed by that pick. Angels weren’t lacking in organizational middle infielders, while there were more pitching options that would have been helpful considering how poor the organizational pitching depth is.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This has me thinking...how many billionaire players do we have so far? Any?

Is A-Rod there yet from turning his career money into shark tank and J-Lo?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Hooray, the Angels found a sucker(the Giants) to take Zack Cozart

The fact that this came shortly after word that the Angels were checking in with Anthony Rendon has me worried about them spending money in the wrong places. Rendon is great and all, but we need more pitching this offseason than just Dylan Bundy. Though getting rid of Cozart does clear up nearly 13 million for the season.

If the Angels somehow swing Rendon and Gerrit Cole though.... Luxury tax be damned it would be an interesting season to watch.

Cole, Trout & Shotime would be pretty amazing and might get some people outside of Orange County to give some effs about this team

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Gerrit Cole to Yankees. $324mil total, 9 years

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Yankees got Cole

3fd.jpg

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Angels got Anthony Rendon for 7 years, 245 million

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Well damn, Rangers acquired Corey Kluber, now the Angels will have to face him 4-5 times a year

(She/Her)
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Well damn, Rangers acquired Corey Kluber, now the Angels will have to face him 4-5 times a year

And they gave up Delino Deshields and Emmanual Clase

So basically nothing.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mariners sitting back and watching the rest of the AL West like, "what are you motherfuckers doing"

• Options
    Well the Mariners may have given up, but the AL West should be much more competitive next season after the Astros lost their MVP.
    6010621?$456$

(She/Her)
  • Options
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

That's the kind of thing that eventually leads a man to declare Operation Shutdown.

• Options
    You've seen us talking about fantasy baseball

You've seen us posting pics while we draft

Have you ever wanted to BE IN THE LEAGUE?

We have one guaranteed spot and one possible spot depending on @Maximum decision.

You'd be taking over their teams and we'll go over keeper rules and such if you join.

You need to use Discord because that is where 90% of our league communication happens.

The only other rule is that you're willing to keep up with your team. Make trades, chat on Discord, etc...

First come first serve so the first person who says they want in gets a team and the second person is on hold until I know if we need a second person or not

I know it's early but I'm trying to get things organized and together

• Options
    Last season was too much for me, so yeah I'm out.

• Options
    Last season was too much for me, so yeah I'm out.

That sucks but thanks for letting me know.

TWO OPEN SPOTS

THE TEAMS AREN'T COMPLETE TRASH EITHER

• Options
    Ok... 3 spots open.

SIGH

• Options
    Come on! I know we've had people interested in this in the past!

It's a ton of fun!

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Yeah we have a good group of people who love talking baseball and competing ... And no one is a jerk!

Except for @Angry, he’s a turd

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    That really unfair to turds.

• Options
    We are tossing around the idea of a complete redraft to rebalance the league.

So if starting from scratch sounds better than picking up someone's leftover team

Let me know.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    uhh, before redraft was floated I was thinking about this last night

not that i want to tear down the league i created, but what if we just did some non-dynasty single season league? I don't know if I have the mind space anymore for a decade-long franchise building exercise

• Options
    I'm all for a second league for annual redraft but I don't want to give up the keeper league completely

• Options
    @Jasconius join us again. You know you want to put together another team of top 1B talent.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I’d definitely be up for two, one redraft and then starting a new keeper league/whatever we decide to do with the one we have.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd be up for an annual re-draft league.

• Options
    Good good good. I've been wanting a permanent redraft league to go along with a keeper league.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Most, in fact about 95%, of sports journalism beyond a reporting of the scores and highlights, is complete bullshit that the people producing should feel ashamed of.

But today I have seen the absolute worst. The pinnacle of shit-tier sports reporting. You'd have to be deliberately malicious to get worse than this.

https://nesn.com/2019/12/gerrit-cole-ignores-important-fact-during-dream-yankees-introduction/

The tl;dr is: Man is totes lying about what his dream was because he turned down some sports money many years ago to GO TO COLLEGE first.

Ugh. And the writer knew it too, because they were too chickenshit to put their name on it.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There's a lot of good sports journalism when you don't go looking for the clickbaitiest of the clickbait.

Anyways, you can completely ignore any argument that criticizes a player for taking more money. For literally any reason.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    If only there was a site that didn't compromise content for access, a dead zone for the various leagues spin machines.

Would never work.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
This discussion has been closed.