As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Tonight's Cardinals game has been postponed. More positive test results received

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Fuck the Cardinals.

And fuck baseball for trying this so half-assedly.

• Options
    And not official yet, but it looks like the whole series in St Louis is “postponed” and the Cubs are heading back to Chicago tonight.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Cardinals had another positive test and their series with the Pirates has also been postponed. They're currently scheduled to play 55 games in 46 days, now.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I’m dying to know if they ever got the tarp out

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular

I’m dying to know if they ever got the tarp out

They did, but by the time they did, the field had been ruined to the point that they had to suspend the game.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    love that the spirit of the "natinals" is alive and well, even after they won a title

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Imagine having your assistant hitting coach ( the actual coach being a trash can) mouth off to a guy who just got hit , step on to the field challenging him to a fight and then hiding behind his team when the player actually comes to fight . Fuck the asstros.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    on the astros the only thing i can think about is how everyone on these cursed teams are going to be shitlisted and never signed anywhere else again

how do you play on the astros over the past 5 years and then go to another locker room and be anything but utterly despised?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    on the astros the only thing i can think about is how everyone on these cursed teams are going to be shitlisted and never signed anywhere else again

how do you play on the astros over the past 5 years and then go to another locker room and be anything but utterly despised?

Do you know how much Chicago Bulls players, and Bulls fans, hated the Pistons back in the late '80s - early '90s? And then how much everyone in both groups loved Dennis Rodman once he was a Bull?

Baseball-wise, most people I knew around here hated AJ Pierzynski. Until he came to the White Sox. There was plenty of grumbling when the news broke, but it didn't take long once he was actually playing to convert everyone to, "He may be an asshole, but he's our asshole."

As long as Astros players help their teams when they move on, and aren't total dicks in the clubhouse, they'll re-integrate just fine.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Zach Grienke is mostly immune to the hatred, i think. The dude is just a lovable weirdo.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Bobble wrote: »
    Zach Grienke is mostly immune to the hatred, i think. The dude is just a lovable weirdo.

He also hasn't been there long enough. 10 games pitched for them in 2019 (plus this whatever in 2020) is not enough to really embroil him in scandal. Or it shouldn't be, anyway.

Ketar on
  • Options
    when jim edmonds and daniel murphy joined the cubs I still hated both of those fuckers

• Options
    Neither one of those did much to qualify in the area of helping their new team when they joined the Cubs.

• Options
    I can promise you that it wouldn't have mattered to me! Especially with Daniel Murphy

• Options
    That wouldn't be true of most Cubs fans.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

He also hasn't been there long enough. 10 games pitched for them in 2019 (plus this whatever in 2020) is not enough to really embroil him in scandal. Or it shouldn't be, anyway.

Yeah, Zack is going to be just fine.

Ketar on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    7ovepo8wa7v1.png

At what point do the Cardinals have to forfeit, or do they make the playoffs at 2-3?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    what the hell are they doing that they're still finding new positive cases

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Missouri ya'll!!

• Options

Don’t know what they’re doing, but I assume they’re doing it The Right Way.

On an unrelated note, the Brewers look like Cub Scouts.

• Options

Testing, those fools.

• Options

Testing, those fools.

was more wondering how they've managed to quarantine so poorly that they're still getting new positive cases every few days, they should absolutely be testing, especially since apparently they can't seem to get this situation under control

in other news:

(darvish would later allow a solo home run to not christian yelich to end the no-hitter, but that was about it)

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I was worried a little, coming into the season with David Ross as a manager, because you never really know how former players are going to work as managers, but they asked him about the Tatis grand slam, and:

That seems like a healthy attitude to have, and one that shows the team that the manager is in their corner. He had a similar take when Baez thought a ball was going foul and ended up getting a single instead of a double. A lot of press goons were saying he should bench Baez immediately so he'd "learn" or whatever, and Ross was like, "look, he fucked up once, he works hard literally all the fucking time, he's fine, shut up." Which is...objectively correct?

The biggest fucking problem here, to me, is that the Padres manager was like, "I don't think he should have done that." Fuck, even if you think that, and even if you feel you need to tell your player, don't fucking go on TV and tell everyone that you think your player was hot dogging it, or whatever. Or at least that's the biggest problem for the Padres. The biggest problem for baseball is that someone did some cool shit and immediately a bunch of old cranky assholes flipped out about unwritten rules, and now maybe the cool thing won't happen again. No wonder this sport has trouble catching on, given how often someone has to apologize to the press when he does something fucking rad.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, Tingler walked it back the next morning, said his issue was Tatis missed the take sign (which he admitted was wrong, the swing was good), something that could pose an actual problem in the future. Granted, that flies in the face of what he said after the game. Probably the guy got a call from ownership telling him that Tatis is more important to the franchise than he is, and he'd better start acting accordingly.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Yeah, the fact that Tingler made Tatis apologize is still the biggest issue for me. I have to imagine the vets in that clubhouse are pissed at Tingler for throwing his player under the bus to kiss the ass of his old team.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Speaking as a Rangers fan, grand slams are cool and you should always try to hit a grand slam if you can. Even if it's against the terrible, terrible team that I like.

Chall on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Whatever your feelings about Bauer, this is a pretty interesting detailed breakdown of what's going through his mind during various ABs during an inning that gives some good insight into pitching at the major league level.

Plus he talks about what was going on that led him to YEET a ball over the centerfield wall at Kauffman. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but this was pretty cool to pay attention to.

https://youtu.be/VvuC2KFBugk

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    I think the response around the league to the Tatis situation has been pretty good, at least, virtually every player has been like, "what the fuck, of course hit a grand slam, are you kidding me"

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Reds announcer Thom Brenneman got caught on a hot mic saying a slur, and it's...pretty bad. I won't link it here, but it's pretty easy to find.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options

he is no longer broadcasting the game

• Options
    expendable wrote: »
    Whatever your feelings about Bauer, this is a pretty interesting detailed breakdown of what's going through his mind during various ABs during an inning that gives some good insight into pitching at the major league level.

Plus he talks about what was going on that led him to YEET a ball over the centerfield wall at Kauffman. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but this was pretty cool to pay attention to.

https://youtu.be/VvuC2KFBugk

Man

This was great

Bauer is definitely a super smart analyst here and if he had like Greg Maddox’s command with the way he’s talking through how he sets the ABs up, he’s winning Cy Youngs left and right

He’s such a fucking tool though

• Options
    I hope the other guy in the booth got to hit the button for Brenneman's ejector seat...just shoot his ass straight into outer space mid sentence.

• Options
    Been a good year for baseball huh lol

• Options

Quite a clip for that homer

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.