As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    When people complain about being "one shot" by monsters, that's hyperbole right? It's a Hunter who was really at 40-60% or hasn't upgraded...?

Outside taking on Los or Blos when you are still on Barroth progression storywise, monsters can't really one shot a Hunter I've found.

Even when I progressed to tempered monsters the temp bagel couldn't one shot me. He could come close on big attacks. Temp Kirin, the bastard, still had to chain attacks to kill me.

Maybe a tempered Nergi can on shot? Or does the ps4 version have easier monsters?

The nerg dive bomb or the Teastro supernova can one-shot. Most hits will feel like one-shot too until you over-gear the encounter. So, depends on how you're playing. If you're spending hours on hours upgrading to max level then fighting the dragons, sure, it won't one-shot. If you just play it as you're being introduced? Def. will one shot. I think even Anja has a one-shot firebreath thing and the diablo charge can one shot too. There's plenty.

I think I have a different version or something. I'm not a savant and have eaten all the attacks. Nothing has one shot me excepting when I have intentionally free-hunted monsters over my quest level.

I'll grant you tempered elders because I've only fought 2 types so far. But those aren't the source of most complaints I've heard.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Tempered Vaal definitely has the damage on his basic attacks to randomly kill melee hunters when he spins in a circle — while not difficult to avoid, there are those times where Dual Blade users (or whomever) get caught mid-combo and wokka wokka.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I've been one-shot by weird stuff, and not necessarily crazy strong tempered monsters

If your defense isn't up to par, you don't have health boost, you've maybe taken a faint and don't have your food buff up, there's a lot that can potentially hit really hard.

When i was going through the game, a rathian tail swipe was easily 90% of my health, plus poison. This was back in low rank.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not saying monsters don't hit hard.

I'm saying the term "one shot" is being used as hyperbole.

Like my work buddy said it about blos. But he used the term describing 3 hits in succession where he was stunned or got caught again while trying to heal.

• Options
    I guess

If you take a hit that takes you from 80-90% to death it's not technically a one shot but it's close enough for me

And that happened to me pretty regularly as i went through the game, because i never really invested in my armor until after nerg

• Options
    So I'm the weird one where "one shot" means killed in one hit from full life?

That's fine actually. It explains why I'm always confused.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don't think anything has truly fullbarred me, maybe Temp Vaal's breathstreamblast thing, but I doubt I was truly at full health due to the small miasma chip damage

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I don't think anything has truly fullbarred me, maybe Temp Vaal's breathstreamblast thing, but I doubt I was truly at full health due to the small miasma chip damage

This is my experience as well excepting free hunting monsters over my quest paygrade.

But it seems like a common occurance to many others across different communities. I think it's a language use thing. I called it hyperbole but it seems like the terminology has just shifted.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    It might be possible those players are not upgrading their armor with stones properly as well.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Saldonas wrote: »
    (It should not have been this hard to get a decent shared video shared, had to transfer to USB, upload to Youtube, and then share on Twitter)

PS4 has direct integration to Youtube...

Maybe there's a setting but I tried direct Youtube upload and the visual quality was still crap. Though reading around a bit, perhaps I need to give it like 10 minutes? Some people are saying that Youtube does some background reprocessing and eventually it'll appear at the right quality. :thinkingface:

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    (It should not have been this hard to get a decent shared video shared, had to transfer to USB, upload to Youtube, and then share on Twitter)

Maybe there's a setting but I tried direct Youtube upload and the visual quality was still crap. Though reading around a bit, perhaps I need to give it like 10 minutes? Some people are saying that Youtube does some background reprocessing and eventually it'll appear at the right quality. :thinkingface:

When you first upload it will be low quality. Give it a couple minutes to process and it will go up to 1080p.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Yeah when I tried to fight Tempered Kirn I was literally getting one shot with 6 thunder resist and 165 health. Just full to zero.

.... and I only have 1 thunder resist gem. Bah.

Well the good news is that all the elemental attack and defense gems can be melded for directly (no random chance).

• Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

When you first upload it will be low quality. Give it a couple minutes to process and it will go up to 1080p.

Sweet, good to hear some confirmation on this! Thanks!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    While technically it's not a one shot if I block the first two hits of Nergi's dive bomb but he slides behind me and the spike explosion hits and kills me I'm probably calling that a one shot.

I think it's just an evolution of language. Similar to literally also meaning figuratively.

Carpy on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Ahh it feels good to be back.

Got back to working on gearing up to tackle the elder pass monsters, weapons are ready, got my thunder/ice/water/fire lances upgraded to the highest that they can currently go (think Rarity 5 is all I have materials for).

Don't think I can bring my dragonbone lance up yet, but I do have the mats for Garon Lance II, which has some solid dmg + blue sharpness, that should fill in nicely when I tackle rathian/rathalos.

With new ice lance, hr Odo is a pushover, just need a few more sinews and a gem and I will be able to craft his set and then focus on pumping it up a bit.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I fully believe that people can be one-shot killed in high rank from some attacks, if they haven't discovered that Health Boost stacks with the kitchen buff (which isn't maxed out until... after Pink Rathian?) and they've not been upgrading their armor ("My Odogaron armor has worked for me all the way through low rank, so I shouldn't have to upgrade!"). When you get around 300+ armor, it's probably not going to happen until you hit tempereds.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I got one shot by Nerg. Walked into the room, he immediately did the dive of death while I was pulling out my weapon. I died.

• Options
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    While technically it's not a one shot if I block the first two hits of Nergi's dive bomb but he slides behind me and the spike explosion hits and kills me I'm probably calling that a one shot.

I think it's just an evolution of language. Similar to literally also meaning figuratively.

Yeah.

Blocking the dive and being in position to also block the pound and the shatter is like 50% of your lifen,give or take, with guard skilld. Just eating the dive face first was a lot but not insta-kill. I can imagine taking all tgat guard chip but then having one last one strike you could be even more.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

No please don’t do this people

People use “literally” to be hyperbolic, like “it’s literally the worst thing ever” when obviously it’s not

But figurative is metaphorical and distinctly different from being literal

Ok, end tangent

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

No please don’t do this people

People use “literally” to be hyperbolic, like “it’s literally the worst thing ever” when obviously it’s not

But figurative is metaphorical and distinctly different from being literal

Ok, end tangent

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

2 : in effect : virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible
    "will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice" —Norman Cousins

Calebros on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    With a charged shield (CB), I think I took about 1/3 health from chip damage when guarding Nergs dive.

I've haven't tried it since ive got guard skilled up to 3. Not sure the guard skill reduces chip damage, though.

• Options
    So I know it’s not logical, but after I played with the Diablos hammer for awhile, I made the Zorah hammer and dropped my Attack charm for a Handi charm and switched a few decos

and it just feels better. I know it’s basically the same with less damage but explosions sometimes, but it just feels more impactful

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Boomhammer is pretty fun. I just wish it had just a little bit more natural blue.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    With a charged shield (CB), I think I took about 1/3 health from chip damage when guarding Nergs dive.

I've haven't tried it since ive got guard skilled up to 3. Not sure the guard skill reduces chip damage, though.

An increase in burst damage from blast procs may on paper be offset by lowered damage.

However that burst damage might be leading into staggers which you are appropriately punishing and that is definitely emotionally satisfying.

I'm having a blast with greatsword not because of a gain in hunt speed on average, but because if I soften a monster up then go full ham on true slashes for stagger lock....well it's great when it happens.

When I lance my hunts are more stable in speed.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hmm gen farming is the worst solo

I hate fighting tempered elders solo

: (

But I got a crit boost and earplugs gem so

Arch on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    :0

I managed to beat HR Odogaron twice in a row with no carts.

I got good! finally.

• Options
    I did some savescum wyverian ritual just to see what I could pull

Spending higher tier streamstones and getting a bunch of tier one common gems from tier 3 feystones is some kind of war crime I think

• Options
    I've gotten maybe 4 tier 3 decos

3 of them are poison coat gems

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the "get low rank decos" aspect of the First Wyverian ritual is about as bad as getting a Rare item out of a Legendary Engram back in the day in Destiny. That it's so common in MHW makes it either worse/not as bad, depending on your personal feelings. Somehow, it lessens the sting for me.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Examples of things that killed me instantly, from full, in all cases with armor as upgraded as I could get it at the time:

- Just introduced to Uragaan, and he rolled over me. Splat.
    - Just introduced to Nergi, he ran downstairs, and as I entered his room cautiously, he roared, stunned me, and divebombed me while I was stunned. Splat.
    - No you CAN'T reliably i-frame through the laser chicken's laser. (TBF, this one is mostly a learning experience.)
    - Bazel's dive bomb after a bombing run, again on introduction. Splat.
    - Vaal's breath.
    - Dodo's barf, the big shotgun one.
    - Anj, way back in the day.

Now? None of these are one-hits except for the laser probably, which is probably fine. (I haven't tested it, and ain't gonna.) When you first meet a monster though, they hit like trucks. Unlock another couple levels of armor upgrade, get an Armortalon, etc, and suddenly NBD.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty certain I've never been "one shot" by an enemy attack (meaning, taken from 100% to 0% from a single attack). I'm not even certain that's possible outside of maybe certain attacks from Tempered Kirin or Nergigante against Hunters lacking health buffs. Now, I absolutely have been effectively one shot, like by a series of attacks that left me staggered / stunned after each strike, rendering me completely unable to move at all from 100% of my health to 0%. But I've never been hit so hard by a single attack that I've been carted off.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/xXD93HVbkS4

Nothing I did here was optimal probably but god it felt good to finally make Diablos eat shit.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Good shit, man. Hammer Bros for life.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I take it back

Back to back got pierce shot gem, spread shots gem, mushroom gem, and weakness exploit gem

My luck just peaked

• Options
    I guess my only serious complaint about this game is that there's this huge wealth of adversaries and locations to experience while you're working your way up, but now that I've reached the end, it's just Tempered Elder Dragons. So like, only 5 enemies matter now? Sure, I may do a few special events now and then to generate tons of cash while they're available, but the Tempered Elder Dragons are the only fights that drop the materials I need for Augmentations. I absolutely love this game, I just wish there were a bit more variety at the end.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Good shit, man. Hammer Bros for life.

It's always nice to see a fellow Hammer Bro in an SOS. It's like a dance, taking turns beyblading off slopes, upswinging the face, simultaneously hitting sleeping monsters with the level 3 charge. Two hammers can work together surprisingly well.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I'm pretty certain I've never been "one shot" by an enemy attack (meaning, taken from 100% to 0% from a single attack). I'm not even certain that's possible outside of maybe certain attacks from Tempered Kirin or Nergigante against Hunters lacking health buffs. Now, I absolutely have been effectively one shot, like by a series of attacks that left me staggered / stunned after each strike, rendering me completely unable to move at all from 100% of my health to 0%. But I've never been hit so hard by a single attack that I've been carted off.

Playing ranged or melee? 'Cause with a bow, "splat" was definitely a thing from physical attacks.

• Options
    I guess my only serious complaint about this game is that there's this huge wealth of adversaries and locations to experience while you're working your way up, but now that I've reached the end, it's just Tempered Elder Dragons. So like, only 5 enemies matter now? Sure, I may do a few special events now and then to generate tons of cash while they're available, but the Tempered Elder Dragons are the only fights that drop the materials I need for Augmentations. I absolutely love this game, I just wish there were a bit more variety at the end.

In past games I just reroll and use an unfamilar weapon until I burnout.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

In past games I just reroll and use an unfamilar weapon until I burnout.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Just rolled up my new character the other day.