As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steven [chat]verse

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I do kind of want to make a DC Animated Movies bracket, but I also don't want to expend any effort.

My life is really tough, I tell you hwut.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    that's a real loose definition of SF for a bracket

also the winner would be Left Hand of Darkness don't @ me

I finally read Left Hand of Darkness so I can stop being a fake feminist

It was good but I did not like it as much as most of the more recent scifi I've read

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I do kind of want to make a DC Animated Movies bracket, but I also don't want to expend any effort.

My life is really tough, I tell you whut.

but they're all so bad, hon

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

It was good but I did not like it as much as most of the more recent scifi I've read

calling Ursula LeGuin to come and zombie your butt

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's 1 AM and this thread isn't set to recycle.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I don't care if they're extracting water back at home or riding Shai-Hulud to glory in battle as long as it's their choice

#ThisIsWhatAFremenistLooksLike

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

'Mika no

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Any sort of book bracket would kill me because there's some difference between stuff I like and stuff I recognize is good, and also some books I only like as much as I do in context of the body of work by the author or the series they're in, but not necessarily as solo books

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    a

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    It's 1 AM and this thread isn't set to recycle.

we've never needed it more

I can't take this bracket shit and it's a matter of time before they're anime brackets

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

'Mika no

I've seen most of them. I feel confident.

I can feel the hatred flowing through me.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Curling
    What do the seeds matter in the brackets?

You don't want strong contenders meeting early, you want them meeting late, so that progression in the bracket is a reasonable indicator of how strong the "team" is.

It's why underseeding and overseeding sucks, because you end up with good teams knocked out early and weak teams in the goddamn Elite 8 or some shit.
    On the other hand it’s always nice seeing Duke get knocked out on the first weekend

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    kanye bracket [chat] was great

• Options

I said it was good!
    I just like reading scifi with space battles and/or cool future shit in it...but it did have some very good interludes articulating very clearly some thoughts on gender that I agree with

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmmm I'm sure some entomologist who actually likes sports has already done moth madness

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    X-Posting this from the android thread in moe's cuz wow this is p. bad update:

Huh, looks like google updated hangouts for the worse. if you block someone that's being abusive in DMs, you can't send a message to any mutual group hangouts they might also be a part of while they're blocked.

This is pretty problematic because it punishes the person that isn't doing anything wrong by not allowing them to participate in mutual group hangouts (sometimes you just have to tolerate a goose-head). All for wanting to prevent an abusive/toxic person from contacting them directly.

• Options
    I've finished the first and read 80% of the second Earthsea books, and while I'm really enjoying them, I'm not sure what makes them particularly feminist fiction?

Or maybe they're not regarded that way, and it's just a coincidence that so many of my strong feminist lady friends really like them.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    subjectivity bracket

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Curling
    What do the seeds matter in the brackets?

You don't want strong contenders meeting early, you want them meeting late, so that progression in the bracket is a reasonable indicator of how strong the "team" is.

It's why underseeding and overseeding sucks, because you end up with good teams knocked out early and weak teams in the goddamn Elite 8 or some shit.
    On the other hand it’s always nice seeing Duke get knocked out on the first weekend

Yeah, but the whole reason for that is because it's a weak team knocking them out.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    kanye bracket [chat] was the greatest of all time, all time

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    that horrifying drop when you just said some petty, cruel shit to one of your bad-person friends and you think for a second you sent it to the wrong thread

• Options

'Mika no

no 'Mika

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmmmm it looks like from a cursory glance no one has jumped on to that one

But I did learn that national moth week is July 21-29 this year

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I've finished the first and read 80% of the second Earthsea books, and while I'm really enjoying them, I'm not sure what makes them particularly feminist fiction?

Or maybe they're not regarded that way, and it's just a coincidence that so many of my strong feminist lady friends really like them.

Honestly the point where Earthsea becomes strongly feminist in the sense most people imagine that term applying is in Tehanu, the fourth book of Earthsea which LeGuin wrote decades after the third one as kind of a response and reflection on the first three and what they said about how fantasy was constructed/viewed when she wrote them; it centres not on Sparrowhawk but on an older woman, and how she sees and experiences this world

i would recommend reading through all four and then letting it settle for a while

simonwolf on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

You take that back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7liS-WlT6g

• Options

'Mika no

no 'Mika

*shoots lightning toward Chicago*

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    you guys mentioning SF books reminds me of when i asked chat for 'good' book advise instead of just episodic pulp

and i read a couple and had to stop and restart constantly, several times a page, because a sentence had gotten away from me or i didn't recall the last few sentences i'd read at all

i think maybe i am too dumb/adhd for big boy books nowadays

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The Division is a fun game now that there's lots of stuffs to do

The Division: Extreme Inventory Manager however remains not a fun game at all

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Stephen Hawking is dead.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I don't think earthsea is considered that although the sequels might be (no recollection)

The Left Hand of Darkness 100% is, as it explicitly discusses how society is completely ruled by gender and explores what it is like in a population of people who don't have fixed genders. I mean, that is not necessarily the main thing, although it's a main thing; another main thing is that it's about a guy from another planet making contact with a less advanced planet, and how that feels and if that's going to work; it's also about friendship and grit in the face of a hostile planet.

• Options
    The Division is a fun game now that there's lots of stuffs to do

The Division: Extreme Inventory Manager however remains not a fun game at all

I have actually decided to stop playing the former because of the latter.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

You take that back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7liS-WlT6g

I'm not sure Timmverse should count, since it's the only good stuff

• Options
    I think it is literally true that I spend approximately equal time playing the fun parts of the game and managing my inventory. If anything, it probably leans more towards the latter.

That ratio is too skewed for me to want to keep playing, I think.

Plus they didn't give me my six-piece Lone Star set two weekends ago, so what is even the point

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    Hmmmm it looks like from a cursory glance no one has jumped on to that one

But I did learn that national moth week is July 21-29 this year

Just a week?

lame

• Options

Honestly the point where Earthsea becomes strongly feminist in the sense most people imagine that term applying is in Tehanu, the fourth book of Earthsea which LeGuin wrote decades after the third one as kind of a response and reflection on the first three and what they said about how fantasy was constructed/viewed when she wrote them; it centres not on Sparrowhawk but on an older woman, and how she sees and experiences this world

i would recommend reading through all four and then letting it settle for a while

Hmm, okay cool, I will do this.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I saw a picture of the Texas wasp moth and I’m never going to Texas now

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

I said it was good!
    I just like reading scifi with space battles and/or cool future shit in it...but it did have some very good interludes articulating very clearly some thoughts on gender that I agree with

I feel you, friend -- it isn't "SF" in the way that the genre is often considered but it is still definitely SF

If you will turn to chapter 2 of my thesis, where I discuss the issues in genre theory, you will see *continues rambling for twenty minutes about semantics/syntax/pragmatism*

• Options
    I should do more reading when I'm not traveling.

I pretty much only read on planes and in hotels.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Left Hand of Darkness isn't a 4X game, it's a grand strategy game

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I saw a picture of the Texas wasp moth and I’m never going to Texas now

Oh they're not so bad

It's the tarantula hawks that'll get ya

This discussion has been closed.