As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Make One Post and Suddenly You're in Charge of [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Hey English speakers, is there a word for the reverse of an acronym? So, as we say "EU is an acronym of European Union" can I say "European Union is a [word here] of EU"?

if there is i've never heard it

i would just say “EU stands for European Union”

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    i go to sleep for seven hours and steven hawking dies wth man

This is on you, Chanus.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which Chanus injected into Stephen Hawking's spine

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Hey English speakers, is there a word for the reverse of an acronym? So, as we say "EU is an acronym of European Union" can I say "European Union is a [word here] of EU"?

"European Union, abbreviated EU" is the closest construction I can think of to that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There’s the backronym, wherein humorous phrases are constructed to fit an existing acronym or word, but I’m unaware of an actual linguistic term for the relationship described in your example.

Some backronyms:

Mother Of All Bombs for MOAB (actually Massive Ordnance Air Blast)

Sure Wish I Finished Training or Swing Wide It’s a Fucking Trailer for Swift Trucking (which is not an acronym)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Chanus I don't really know what usual rates are here but that seems like a great price to me. If you look at it on a map you're on the left side of that triangle and following the water to the right, all of that is fairly newly built (early 2000's-now) and from what I know mostly offices and expensive apartments. Very nice area imo, quick to get into the city too.

You have Gullmarsplan there on the left within walking distance, that's a big public transit hub. Lots of bus options and the green metro line which goes in through downtown and the west part of the city.

Maybe a tricky area to drive in if you're renting a car, driving inside the city limits is not a great experience.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Chanus I don't really know what usual rates are here but that seems like a great price to me. If you look at it on a map you're on the left side of that triangle and following the water to the right, all of that is fairly newly built (early 2000's-now) and from what I know mostly offices and expensive apartments. Very nice area imo, quick to get into the city too.

You have Gullmarsplan there on the left within walking distance, that's a big public transit hub. Lots of bus options and the green metro line which goes in through downtown and the west part of the city.

Maybe a tricky area to drive in if you're renting a car, driving inside the city limits is not a great experience.

nice i will have to keep that one in mind

most likely not renting a car unless i decide to leave the city for some reason

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    well now I read a few things on acronyms and I guess it's just a recent (starting around WWII) phenomenon to even call them acronyms as such so it turns out we have free reign to call the 'expanded' or 'full' name whatever we want

I propose the 'proponym' or 'pragmonym', the proper name of the acronym in question

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    There’s the backronym, wherein humorous phrases are constructed to fit an existing acronym or word, but I’m unaware of an actual linguistic term for the relationship described in your example.

Some backronyms:

Sure Wish I Finished Training or Swing Wide It’s a Fucking Trailer for Swift Trucking (which is not an acronym)

The obvious backronym is Rocket Propelled Grenade for RPG

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    *checks internal company wiki to look up documentation on a data model*

*gets Finding Dory wiki page*

Right, that wasn't the internal company wiki.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ugh, chat, I'm doing the graveyard shift, and I'm very tired. However, when I get home, I can't to bed, as I have previous obligations.

Please send all the coffee in the world, stat. I'm going to keep drinking it until I finish what I need to, or my heart explodes. Kind of an either/or situation on my hands.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Some backronyms:

Wait what?
    "Wikipedia wrote:
    The term "rocket-propelled grenade" is, strictly speaking, a backronym; it stems from the Russian language РПГ or ручной противотанковый гранатомёт (transliterated as "ruchnoy protivotankovy granatomyot"), meaning "hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher", the name given to early Russian designs.

Well I'll be

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    *checks internal company wiki to look up documentation on a data model*

*gets Finding Dory wiki page*

Right, that wasn't the internal company wiki.

or

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Washington county in PA 18 finally finished, and as was being estimated the good guy won and the evil guy lost!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Some backronyms:

Wait what?
    "Wikipedia wrote:
    The term "rocket-propelled grenade" is, strictly speaking, a backronym; it stems from the Russian language РПГ or ручной противотанковый гранатомёт (transliterated as "ruchnoy protivotankovy granatomyot"), meaning "hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher", the name given to early Russian designs.

Well I'll be

And “grenade launcher” while literally correct is an imperfect translation of granatomyot since the latter term is a lot broader in scope

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I mean, technically an acronym has to be something you can pronounce (NATO), and if you can't it's just an initialisation. But acronym is a cooler word so we all use that.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I just went into wiki in work and we have a message stating that someone on our IP address has been vandalizing Bon Jovi song entries. Nice to see the lawyers putting their billable hours to good use.

• Options
    Everything Darpa has ever said seems like backronyms right? They come up with a cool set of letters and then make it mean something after the fact.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Done with shift work!

Now to play the waiting game.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Yay stomach bug

Purging from both ends

• Options
    pezgen wrote: »
    I mean, technically an acronym has to be something you can pronounce (NATO), and if you can't it's just an initialisation. But acronym is a cooler word so we all use that.

i pronounce all of them

• Options
    gdi

I've been meaning to eat my banana for 2 hours now, but I keep reflexively stuffing my mouth full of new tobacco every time I remove the previous tobacco.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Quid wrote: »
    Done with shift work!

Now to play the waiting game.

Ah, the most dangerous game.

Honk on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I just went into wiki in work and we have a message stating that someone on our IP address has been vandalizing Bon Jovi song entries. Nice to see the lawyers putting their billable hours to good use.

Is the culprit now wanted? Dead or alive?

They hadn't vandalised all of the entries, but they were half way there

You'll catch them - just keep the faith

They're going to be in hot water - at least 7800° Farenheit, I'd say

They're at a crossroads - should they turn themselves in? These days, jobs can be hard to find, but they might bounce back

I guess they could always blame it on the love of rock and roll

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh yeaaaaaaaaah, i got up at 6:20 this morning.

I feel like a true hero!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How do people not get up at six? Are they under a witch's spell or something?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options

that seems likely.

I feel pretty cursed right now.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
  • Options
    For those of you not in the know, Peter Stringfellow owns a chain of low quality strip clubs.

• Options

i get up at 4:30 and i don’t even need to

i don’t recommend it

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was reading a thing about how Stephen Hawking was known to frequent strip clubs and a swinger's manse in Hollywood

rest in power you horny genius

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    In a fun aside, during this period, Hawking would enjoy running over the toes of people he didn’t like with his wheelchair. So in 1976, when Hawking was invited to attend Prince Charles’s induction into the Royal Society, he gave him the business. “The prince was intrigued by Hawking’s wheelchair, and Hawking, twirling it around to demonstrate its capabilities, carelessly ran over Prince Charles’s toes,” according to the biography Stephen Hawking: An Unfettered Mind. “One of Hawking’s regrets in life was not having an opportunity to run over Margaret Thatcher’s toes.”

• Options
    Finally, people who use Stephen Hawking as proof that socialized healthcare doesn't work can't be told he is British and still alive.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Buffy's reboot is still in the air.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-gary-newman-joss-whedon-fox-intv-1202336761/
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer “is probably the most ripe show we have for bringing back,” FoxChairman and CEO Gary Newman said this morning at the INTV conference in Jerusalem. He refrained from confirming such a move for fear of not being able “to get out of the building alive.” But he did allow, “It’s something we talk about frequently. Joss Whedonis one of the greatest creators we’ve ever worked for. When Joss decides it’s time, we’ll do it.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZVnW6Gk7Y

• Options
    I remeber Buffy and them vampires.

she smooched a couple but called herself a slayer. complete bs.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello once and future hawking radiation.

• Options
    I remeber Buffy and them vampires.

she smooched a couple but called herself a slayer. complete bs.

There’s more than one way to take out a vampire’s heart I tell you hwat

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.