As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you need something for your bathroom...

umau89tk6rea.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Should I do anodizing at home? I have the cnc that can do aluminium and that would look amazing as a finish for things.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    A much smaller house upgrade than usual; I got a new kettle:
    Rio70JX.jpg

At least you got dressed to take the picture.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Radiation wrote: »
    Should I do anodizing at home? I have the cnc that can do aluminium and that would look amazing as a finish for things.

That's a slippery road. Your start with metallic objects at first, but soon that's not enough so you move to wood or ceramic.
    But soon that's not enough either and next think you know the neighbors are complimenting you on that lovely dog sculpture in your front yard.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

If you've got a well-ventilated workspace and a variable power source it's not a terribly complicated or dangerous process. You use lye and battery acid, but it's nothing that requires any more expertise than your average high school chemistry experiment.

Source: we anodized aluminum as a high school chemistry experiment.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just make sure to wear clothes that you don't mind losing. Exposure to the anodizing vats will slowly eat away clothes and it is battery acid so getting any on you will eat through whatever you are wearing.

A couple jobs ago we set up our own anodizing facility and the workers got a $50 stipidend to cover clothes each month. We provided them with big smocks and all the other safety gear and they still burned through clothes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    So what I'm hearing is do the anodizing naked to avoid clothing costs.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The chemical burns are an excellent way to exfoliate. You'll simply glow after every batch!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So my washing machine broke a while back. It and the matching dryer were kind of old so I shelled out for new ones.

They arrive today, the guys install them and...... the dryer power cord doesn't reach the socket. The power cord attaches to the top of the dryer, and the fucking thing is designed to be stackable so the cord doesn't even come close to reaching the ground. WTF!?

So now I have to either pay (I'm guessing) ~$500 for an electrician to move the 240v power outlet, or pay ~$180 for a dryer power cord extension cable which will arrive in two weeks(?!). I looked into these replacement power cables for the dryer that are longer (and the cheapest option), but of course when I open the panel on the back of my new dryer it has these proprietary electrical connectors rather than the standard ones that all the replacement cables have.

So I guess I'm going to have to pay nearly $200 and wait two more weeks....

fucking bullshit

Al_wat on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I just met with the landlord of the place I applied to on Sunday (was it really only Sunday??!?) And it looks like that's going ahead. So thank fuck, I can stop hunting and start worrying about other things.

She was a lovely woman, who out of the blue suddenly said "I really feel for the African continent, because of all the dictators, you know?" Which... Yeah. I let that one lie.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maybe she was trying to indicate that she's "woke", however clumsy the attempt was. Or perhaps she mistook your accent for South African and was trying to get confirmation?

• Options
    Nah i think it was a sincere belief with a background of deep ignorance about any specific African nation. We talked about Australia a bunch too, she knew where I was from.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So an update on the neighbor putting the trailer in my driveway, which is the worst. It’s so wide it completely cuts off any access from the back yard. Anything (like the lawn mower) has to go around the other side of the house now through the alley.

I can no longer get from my basement door to the garbage cans, which sucks.

The worst part is this is like becoming a thing in our relationship now. My wife thinks I’m being really unreasonable and we’re being great neighbors. He’s always asking us if he can help us, and brings over a lot of stuff without us asking to be nice. He saw me struggling in the yard so he brought over an old weed wacker. He saw the lawn looked rough so he just left a fertilizer thing in the backyard. My wife thinks all these things are great and so kind, I am super uncomfortable with people giving me stuff for exactly this reason - the favors later.

So that brings us to today - I’ve made it clear I want it gone and I saw him this morning and didn’t say hi and I think he got the vibe. I get home from work and I see a bike in our front yard. I was like what’s that. My wife, just beaming, says that he brought it over after he saw me take my daily mile walk to the metro in the rain. It has a flat tire but once that’s fixed I’ll be able to get to the metro in minutes!! How nice is that!! He noticed me walking and wants to help!!

I countered that he literally gave us garbage. It has a flat tire. I don’t need a bike, I’m fine walking, and I don’t feel like going to get a tire. Now I have to call the city to get it picked up and thrown out. So no, I don’t view this as a great thing.

She thinks I’m being super ungrateful. And I will say this neighbor has been nothing but kind - but it’s like TOO kind. I don’t want that kind of stuff. I’m not into like, sharing everything and being buddy buddy neighbors. I got my own place so it could be my own, and this guy is just not getting it. I know I have to say something to him real soon, I’m just so bad at confrontation. The first big homeowner test I suppose.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Maybe I should just anodize his trailer.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    YES
    MAKE IT PURDY AND ALSO DISSOLVE A LITTLE

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So an update on the neighbor putting the trailer in my driveway, which is the worst. It’s so wide it completely cuts off any access from the back yard. Anything (like the lawn mower) has to go around the other side of the house now through the alley.

I can no longer get from my basement door to the garbage cans, which sucks.

The worst part is this is like becoming a thing in our relationship now. My wife thinks I’m being really unreasonable and we’re being great neighbors. He’s always asking us if he can help us, and brings over a lot of stuff without us asking to be nice. He saw me struggling in the yard so he brought over an old weed wacker. He saw the lawn looked rough so he just left a fertilizer thing in the backyard. My wife thinks all these things are great and so kind, I am super uncomfortable with people giving me stuff for exactly this reason - the favors later.

So that brings us to today - I’ve made it clear I want it gone and I saw him this morning and didn’t say hi and I think he got the vibe. I get home from work and I see a bike in our front yard. I was like what’s that. My wife, just beaming, says that he brought it over after he saw me take my daily mile walk to the metro in the rain. It has a flat tire but once that’s fixed I’ll be able to get to the metro in minutes!! How nice is that!! He noticed me walking and wants to help!!

I countered that he literally gave us garbage. It has a flat tire. I don’t need a bike, I’m fine walking, and I don’t feel like going to get a tire. Now I have to call the city to get it picked up and thrown out. So no, I don’t view this as a great thing.

She thinks I’m being super ungrateful. And I will say this neighbor has been nothing but kind - but it’s like TOO kind. I don’t want that kind of stuff. I’m not into like, sharing everything and being buddy buddy neighbors. I got my own place so it could be my own, and this guy is just not getting it. I know I have to say something to him real soon, I’m just so bad at confrontation. The first big homeowner test I suppose.

Oh god I am so completely on your side in this, that neighbor sounds like my own personal nightmare.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    See @Strikor, sometimes an HOA is GOOD, because we'll never have a neighbor wheelding us into storing a trailer on our driveway, since trailers are prohibited on driveways!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I get crabby when someone parks on my side of the street (I have a corner, and thus two sides, and in a neighborhood full of driveways you can fuckin park on the street in front of your own house thank you very much), I can't imagine someone asking to store a trailer in my driveway. I don't care if I walk everywhere and use the driveway exclusively for nothing.

You aren't being unreasonable.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine myself in that kind of neighbor situation and all I can really come up with is "Fake my own death and flee."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I get crabby when someone parks on my side of the street (I have a corner, and thus two sides, and in a neighborhood full of driveways you can fuckin park on the street in front of your own house thank you very much), I can't imagine someone asking to store a trailer in my driveway. I don't care if I walk everywhere and use the driveway exclusively for nothing.

You aren't being unreasonable.

Yeah, leaving garbage on your lawn is not being nice. He's been playing the long con that's apparently working on your wife. Sorry to hear it.

I would recommend returning all the stuff he's given you, including the bike. Just say you appreciate the thought but don't have the room for it.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine myself in that kind of neighbor situation and all I can really come up with is "Fake my own death and flee."

cIFerem.jpg

• Options
    Dealing with neighbors like that is precisely the reason I want a giant property in the middle of nowhere with my nearest neighbor being half a mile away.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    And then your neighbors half feral pigs tear up your property. Or their cattle keep getting out and grazing on your land.

Though the cattle were fixed when my father planted the field with just mustard one summer.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    See @Strikor, sometimes an HOA is GOOD, because we'll never have a neighbor wheelding us into storing a trailer on our driveway, since trailers are prohibited on driveways!

Still waiting on that brick wall that somehow costs 200k and inexplicably is our problem, though!

• Options
    And then your neighbors half feral pigs tear up your property. Or their cattle keep getting out and grazing on your land.

Though the cattle were fixed when my father planted the field with just mustard one summer.

I mean.

Now when you say half feral, do you mean they won't care if they suddenly get eaten by a wolf.

And by a wolf I mean me

after I cure it and fry it

• Options
    Was mowing my lawn after the sun went down, because it's an oven out there. Everything was going great until my mower made a horrible scratch and seemed to bump over something. I assumed it was some trash I missed in the yard, but then I went over it again. Finally I examined the spot in the grass and someone had stuck a piece of rebar in the ground. Not tall enough to see when the grass was long, but tall enough to hit with my mower. Strikor tried to pull it out with a wrench and tried to drive it in with a hammer. Neither worked and we don't have a sledge hammer yet. Strikor wet the ground and we're hoping after it soaks in it might be easier - the clay around here is like rock when it's dry. I'm just totally mystified as to why someone would have done that. I assume it was some shitty teenager in the neighborhood, and I'm wondering if it's worth leaving a note on my nearest neighbor's door on it (they tend to use our lawn a lot because they don't technically have a front yard of their own. And the rebar was very near where their teenager parks on their driveway).

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have had it up to here with god damned sugar ants.

Little fucks are tenacious. Nothing I do gets rid of them for more than a few days at a time.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Was mowing my lawn after the sun went down, because it's an oven out there. Everything was going great until my mower made a horrible scratch and seemed to bump over something. I assumed it was some trash I missed in the yard, but then I went over it again. Finally I examined the spot in the grass and someone had stuck a piece of rebar in the ground. Not tall enough to see when the grass was long, but tall enough to hit with my mower. Strikor tried to pull it out with a wrench and tried to drive it in with a hammer. Neither worked and we don't have a sledge hammer yet. Strikor wet the ground and we're hoping after it soaks in it might be easier - the clay around here is like rock when it's dry. I'm just totally mystified as to why someone would have done that. I assume it was some shitty teenager in the neighborhood, and I'm wondering if it's worth leaving a note on my nearest neighbor's door on it (they tend to use our lawn a lot because they don't technically have a front yard of their own. And the rebar was very near where their teenager parks on their driveway).

Probably some newfangled way the youngins use to hide their weed.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Where in the yard was it located? Near a wall or by your electric meter? Near an old fence line or trees?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Nothing like getting a $1000 quote to move a truck's worth of stuff 1.5 miles to bring your day down.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Nothing like getting a $1000 quote to move a truck's worth of stuff 1.5 miles to bring your day down.

What the garbage? Home despot should rent a truck for like $100?

• Options
    Oh, anyone know how much equity you should have before refi to lower payment? I have no idea what I'm doing and no idea what to read that isn't awful bank advice.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    tynic wrote: »

What the garbage? Home despot should rent a truck for like $100?

I can get like, U-Haul for $30 per hour, the problem is labour. There's only so much I'm willing to impose on my friends.
    edit: I know that quote is ridiculous and from previous moves i should definitely be able to find something for half of that or less. It's just demoralizing when you're already stressed about brokers fees and deposits etc.

tynic on
  • Options
    $1000 is like, the cost to move a 1 bedroom apartment across the country territory.

What the fuck moving-company?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    $1000 is like, the cost to move a 1 bedroom apartment across the country territory.

It's really not. It was... $4k? to move me from LA to Seattle, and something like $2k to move down to Portland. It's all got to do with services and space and availability. $1000 sounds to me like the minimum cost for loading, moving (at all, to any minimum distance), and unloading what with labor and insurance and all.

chromdom on
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

It's really not. It was... $4k? to move me from LA to Seattle, and something like $2k to move down to Portland. It's all got to do with services and space and availability. $1000 sounds to me like the minimum cost for loading, moving (at all, to any minimum distance), and unloading what with labor and insurance and all.

To move from NYS to CO for the equivalent of my 1 bedroom it was about 1200 so I guess I should preface with "YMMV"

• Options
    edited July 2018
    It's suuuuper variable. I've moved between countries for less than 2K, and I've had quotes for £850 to go about ten miles (and now $1k for a distance I can walk to). Depending on the type of company and the distance, you can also negotiate a certain amount, though with local moves during high-volume periods that's not usually an option.

Last time I moved stuff within the UK it ended up costing me roughly £200 when I went with a local man+van service; the professional company I first contacted would have probably had far better insurance and equipment but cost four times the price. But I simply don't own very much that's worth worrying about. So I'm going to shop around a bit, and if I have to resort to hiring a van and bribing my colleagues then I guess I can give that a go.

edit: For reference, to ship the equivalent of a 1 bedroom apartment from the south of England to Boston ended up costing me maybe $2400 ish. But movers in the US definitely charge more than anywhere else I've lived, I wonder if the insurance costs are much greater.

tynic on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly - recruit some undergrad assistants and buy them some pizza/annas and a bunch of beer.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Honestly - recruit some undergrad assistants and buy them some pizza/annas and a bunch of beer.

mmm, I'm thinking about it. Or PhD students, at least.
    But there are stairs involved, asking people to carry shit up stairs is a serious favour.

This discussion has been closed.