As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm at another vieiwng and as usual the pictures have downplayed what a dump it is and the location is kind of arse for me so I know already this is a waste of time. But I've come all this way, may as well look inside for morbid curiosity if nothing else.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I always wonder why they do that. Fisheye lens with the contrast cranked up like I'm not going to notice how much of a dank dump this house/apartment is when I walk in there or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    I always wonder why they do that. Fisheye lens with the contrast cranked up like I'm not going to notice how much of a dank dump this house/apartment is when I walk in there or something.

well joke was on me, it was a tumble-down shabby piece of crap from the outside but they'd done it up beautifully inside. Larger than I expected, entirely renovated, new kitchen, sunny, clean, well-laid out, plenty of closet space, floors that weren't warped (in Somerville!) ...
    ... and I absolutely couldn't take it because there was no on-site laundry, no laundromat within 500m, no supermarket in walking distance, and frankly the commute was shit by both bicycle AND bus. So there is definitely a god, and they definitely have it in for me.

edit: Exactly the same price as the turd studio I saw this morning, too
    real estate is, on some level, pure fantasy.

tynic on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't think the human mind is capable of accurately estimating the proper cost of anything once you get up above a thousand dollars. Like, you can imagine every nuance of the difference between a $2 frozen pizza and a $5 frozen pizza, but when it comes to real estate the numbers all become completely untethered.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I honestly don't think the human mind is capable of accurately estimating the proper cost of anything once you get up above a thousand dollars. Like, you can imagine every nuance of the difference between a $2 frozen pizza and a $5 frozen pizza, but when it comes to real estate the numbers all become completely untethered.

That and coupled with the fact that you need a place to sleep and rest it sort of does one of those "well I just gotta pay it no matter what" situations where it slowly creeps up year after year even if wages stagnate.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This might be UK specific but can anybody give me any advice on cavity wall insulation?

The insulation in my post war terrace is shite, and this seems like a solid way to sort it out. The issue is that there's so much out there claiming that it can / absolutely will cause condensation and damp.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Are you going to do sprayfoam?

I don't think it's a big deal unless the external walls are already in shit condition or you deal with a lot of driving rain. I don't know too much about cavity insulation into/behind bricks and such though.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This might be UK specific but can anybody give me any advice on cavity wall insulation?

The insulation in my post war terrace is shite, and this seems like a solid way to sort it out. The issue is that there's so much out there claiming that it can / absolutely will cause condensation and damp.

Depends. Are you looking at open cell or closed cell insulation? Open cell will need a vapor barrier, closed cell usually does not, but it depends on your local building codes.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DONE.

Except the ladder and fold out shelves

So 92% done

vqtf4oxd8o3a.jpg

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So I'm building a work bench for the CNC router I just got. Trying to reduce wobble as much as possible in individual components before assembling them all has been pretty fun. I'm likely over-worrying about this but hey, it's a fun project. Pictures to come later today once it's near fully assembled.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I need to get to work on a tool bench now

also I need a way to easily get my radial arm saw in and out of the basement .... I'm not sure that I'll be able to. It is the very limit of what I can physically lift by myself.

maybe I can make some kind of 'sleigh' to pull it up out of the storm doors

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Here is the in progress. Need to cut triangles to get legs attached more better to shelves/top. Or just more 45° cut 2 x4s. Have a bit of side to side wobble. Top will be mdf. And then a rubber mat under the router.

HRD3EBCo_oU5A8oV4_J1kMo3k_OgyN2DcV02STwCZaJVgs56aFM9wFeOd-NZF2UnFaOFwuuXdqLW-IOqK4r8PFOmagUeQKxxN5qc3Hlg7A-u4MMY0dBCgeGfeahqnDMvOqKabSLF1A=w1092-h819-no

Radiation on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Radiation wrote: »
    Here is the in progress. Need to cut triangles to get legs attached more better to shelves/top. Or just more 45° cut 2 x4s. Have a bit of side to side wobble. Top will be mdf. And then a rubber mat under the router.

HRD3EBCo_oU5A8oV4_J1kMo3k_OgyN2DcV02STwCZaJVgs56aFM9wFeOd-NZF2UnFaOFwuuXdqLW-IOqK4r8PFOmagUeQKxxN5qc3Hlg7A-u4MMY0dBCgeGfeahqnDMvOqKabSLF1A=w1092-h819-no

google's stuff is a PITA to hotlink

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It would seem that way.
    And thanks! Was thinking it was just the mobile browser being wonky.

Edit: wobble nearly entirely gone. I was going to build a shelf up top but think that'd be unnecessary. I need to go to makerspace and cut the bottom shelf top later this week but the main goal of table for the cnc is done. Now I get to play with the router and see what kind of things I can mess up.

i0lI6fL4VwQyuW4xPFqolLFLVGg44wkBA61vX3lebVW0QekY0smtZm7OmfgBvp5ELDyTW2IB3gc9hDoKFCx2jgSgsg_jDJv6CJp62my1cy0ZLKIDwAs_2KI_CMYR7H5gkxr96ITWcw=w1299-h974-no

Radiation on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Why did we think this was a good idea? Just when we get the house all clean and nice and we decide to cut two more holes in it

GlROuyvl.jpg

That's the new hole for the stairway, with the entrance being what used to be a wall on the left. Winders will rise you up three steps to the right before a straight run that just clears the doorway below.

a2fd4QDl.jpg

I took the opportunity to transfer the old sofa up here ready for when I get around to making this a usable room. To the right of the new hole is the old loft hatch which will eventually need filling in.

The stairs are going in right now. I'm just keeping out of the way as they take a 3m long diagonal staircase up a flight of stairs and then into the loft so it can be slotted back down into the winders.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I just have a weird sense of humor or what, but the way this guy delivered a package to me today makes me laugh every time

https://youtu.be/8fukL28twMM

(The package was a roll of stickers and was unharmed)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The vinyl flooring is being replaced in my apartment this morning and the smell when they started tearing it out... good lord.

Also there was apparently two layers because the last time it was replaced they just put the new one on top.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I don't know if I just have a weird sense of humor or what, but the way this guy delivered a package to me today makes me laugh every time

At least he left the package instead of a sticker to pick it up later on?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

At least he left the package instead of a sticker to pick it up later on?

UPS always does that, though. I signed up on third website to make sure they do.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Two viewings tomorrow, back to back, both right at the upper limit of my price range. First one has all the drawbacks of my current situation, but is somewhat cheaper, and I only messaged them because nothing else had popped up for a couple of days. Second one could be perfect, if it's as good as it looks (BUT they never are). And in this market, you pretty much have to sign a deposit cheque on the spot, so "hang on while I see if this other place is better" generally isn't an option.

So that's gonna be a fun decision to make at 9.15am.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well fuck, I hope the second one IS great and you do get it.

• Options
    Well this is a trip, UPS saw my video and apologized and asked me to get in contact so they can know what local UPS the guy is out of. I'm like, I don't want to get the poor bastard in trouble, I just thought it was funny.

• Options

Yeah. I might even cancel the first, that would probably be more polite than dragging the broker out there.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Well this is a trip, UPS saw my video and apologized and asked me to get in contact so they can know what local UPS the guy is out of. I'm like, I don't want to get the poor bastard in trouble, I just thought it was funny.

They've got a pretty strong union at UPS, I wouldn't worry about him too much.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Just tell them "I ain't no snitch."

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We have friends who live in a row of 2 bed townhouses with backyards the size of pocket handkerchiefs in Sunnyvale. One went up for sale for $1.3m.

It just never ends...

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One day later and it's in. They're putting plasterboard up now and should be done by the end of today
    QGAhCWNl.jpg

I spent about 2 hours cleaning yesterday and everything is pretty gross, still
    Hmsv9a7l.jpg

The problem with these old houses is that over the years soot migrates out of the chimneys and into the ceilings. So any time you cut through a ceiling or do anything at all close to the top of walls you get a black mess everywhere that is really difficult to clean.

Oh well. Maybe by next week the place will be clean again.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

Yeah. I might even cancel the first, that would probably be more polite than dragging the broker out there.

First one was amazing, but it really is too far from work to make the whole torturous experience worthwhile, at least for that price. Turned up to the second one and the broker didn't have the key, obviously, and I'd promised to get back to the first one within an hour because she had other prospectives coming in. Sooooo I had to turn it down even though I have no clue if the second place is going to be a shitpile.
    Which is the right call, I know... but it had in-unit washer/dryer. THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

arrgh
    second place has been rescheduled for noon. This better be good.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You should probably bring some fire with you, in case you need to burn it all down.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

This should be an excellent opportunity for some retraining and feedback.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    You should probably bring some fire with you, in case you need to burn it all down.

Second place was great! Also had in unit washer/dryer! Fantastic location! Walking distance to three of my friends house, the river, and some of my favourite restaurants! Immediately put in an application!
    aaaand there is another couple who want it and the landlord is going to "take the best offer" and it's already at the top of my price bracket SO
    fuck that, I guess

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Uuuuuuugh!!! I’ll cross my fingers for you, @tynic

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Pulling for you Tynic.
    Re: UPS
    I've worked with them off and on professionally for years, they are insanely serious about doing things right. They're brutal to their drivers, but also reward them well.

• Options

Second place was great! Also had in unit washer/dryer! Fantastic location! Walking distance to three of my friends house, the river, and some of my favourite restaurants! Immediately put in an application!
    aaaand there is another couple who want it and the landlord is going to "take the best offer" and it's already at the top of my price bracket SO
    fuck that, I guess

You'd be the better renter though. I heard that couple has loud parties and ruined the last place they lived in, which is why they are currently in the market.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

fuck that, I guess

You'd be the better renter though. I heard that couple has loud parties and ruined the last place they lived in, which is why they are currently in the market.

I actually met the dude, he lives across the hall from the apartment I was looking at, and he's moving because their landlord is selling their place. We met because my broker (who I think was stoned) banged on the wrong apartment door.

Awkward.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Ugh why can't things go right the first time?

Sofas have been delivered but one is missing the right feet so the delivery guys put on some temporary ones and made a call. I chased it up and the new feet have been ordered but I'm worried they won't arrive in time.

Had to can the fridge/freezer order as we'd measured the space wrong.

The downstairs bathroom door frame is a weird size and we're struggling to find a door off the shelf that'll fit, we don't have the money to get a bespoke one cut.

Also everything is so expensive! We're at our budget limit now.

Just gotta stay positive and look forward to living there once it's complete.

At least the fencing and gate guy was really good:

hizztri6qibp.jpg

New gate with side post and two fence panels to the right. They also did the other side meaning the rear garden is now fully enclosed.

Time for a dog!!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's a fine looking fence. I like the handle a lot.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A spring appears in the road 0yj8s9wfeh8x.jpg
    Not really home related but the water line is a common problem

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    For the first few months of owning a home I was doing pretty okay money wise. I was able to actually save up, wasn't blowing my brains out.

But god damn the last ~6 weeks, my bank account has been hemorrhaging.

Why didn't anyone warn me this would happen?!
    (everyone warned me this would happen)

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Since I've been sick and unable to work on my basement project I haven't had to spend any house money in awhile. Now that I'm well hopefully can finish off the final wall frame and then work should move faster on other items.

This discussion has been closed.