Options

[Nintendo] Switch - Everyone is Here!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Cosmic Star Heroine is good.

I never finished it cause I have a weird hangup about turn based games that don't have a basic attack though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I could get on board then, but it depends on how long it is. I really want shorter jrpgs these days, and more than about 25 hours for this one would give me pause.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    My playtime for Cosmic Star Heroine was 18 hours.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    15-20 hours is the ideal range for an indie RPG for me, I think.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »
    There has to be something I'm missing here. As soon as I increase the difficulty on the CPU to expert in Mario tennis, every single one of my shots is giving my opponent a star. What's going on?

You are hitting your shots too early. If you time your shots so the ball is right where your character/racket is at your return won't give your opponent a star point. This means giving up a lot of charge shot opportunities, but you minimize their star points. Star points basically only happen if your shot timing is too early or late. Or lobs obviously.

Did it ever communicate this anywhere? I even replayed the tutorial and the only time it mentions timing is when it's shots that can damage your racquet

The only vague mention of it is in the Tips and Tricks section of the How to Play menus about "Breaking Form". That's the extreme case of when you can't reach the ball in time so your character lunges at it, resulting in a weak return at gives a nice slow lobbing star point to smash.

I can consistently beat Expert difficulty computer opponents but when I set them to Pro difficulty I had a similar experience of all my shots giving them stars, and they almost never give me stars. All about positioning and shot timing, fight the urge to make every shot a charge shot. Still can't beat a Pro computer because they are monsters with trick shots.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tell me in what ways it is like Chrono Trigger

Combat has a similar flow and feel. Lots of figuring out when to use a specific attack to combo with allies. Enemies appear in the world, and getting close to them triggers a battle (I haven’t run into any Random Encounter areas yet).

The art style is done in 16 bit inspired style, and as alluded to, the music is very good at conveying the atmosphere of the area, with tunes that will pleasantly get stuck in your head.

In ways it is different: the item system feels unique. Most items have a 1-per-battle (or more later on?) limit, and it recharges every fight. So you never have that feeling of “I’d better keep these potions in case I need them later” since you always know you’ll get another once this fight is done.

And while the flow of combat feels the same, it has an interesting “rest” system. In combat, some moves/spells can be used multiple times, and some can only be used once. To recharge a used skill you have to spend a turn defending, so you’re playijg this balancing game of “do I think they’re going to use a big attack on me? If so, can I kill it before it hits me, keep blasting so I can recharge all my skills at once, or defend and recharge now?”

I’ll be honest, I’ve only played about 4 hours of it (so maybe 1/4 to 1/3 through), but I’ve enjoyed my time with it.

So there's no time buggery?

I have encountered robot bugs, but no time buggery.

Howlongtobeat.com estimates 12-15 hours.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's been three years since Iwata passed. Time to remember how amazing he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcDZmmu9FM

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, I can't wait for Cosmic Star Heroine on switch. I bought it on PC but didn't play it for very long, cause it's not a great couch game (for me personally, I want big AAA games for what little couch time I have), but what I played was very good so I can't wait to play more of it on switch.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hell yeah, I can't wait for Cosmic Star Heroine on switch. I bought it on PC but didn't play it for very long, cause it's not a great couch game (for me personally, I want big AAA games for what little couch time I have), but what I played was very good so I can't wait to play more of it on switch.

Skull Girls is coming as well!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZBjJTXGRs

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I don't know what that is

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It's a fighting game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

NSFW https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/83/opny1joe2wh8.png NSFW
    Skull girls is a technical fighter having a non stop release party since 2011

Sterica on
  • Options
    edited July 2018

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uplo ads/editor/83/opny1joe2wh8.png[/img]
    Skull girls is a technical fighter having a non stop release party since 2011

Oh ok I don't care then

Cool for you though

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Could you uh spoiler that image

sometimes I browse the forums at work

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Could you uh spoiler that image

sometimes I browse the forums at work

What? Your work doesn't appreciate anime butts? Sounds like a terrible place to work.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Uh actually I work at an anime butt factory and looking at that image is a conflict of interest and a threat to my career!!!

• Options
    Uh actually I work at an anime butt factory and looking at that image is a conflict of interest and a threat to my career!!!

They might appreciate it, you should save it for posterior.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm kind of conflicted on Cosmic Star Heroine; though my opinion is, admittedly, strongly influenced by the green-eyed monster since Zeboyd Games feels a lot like where I could have been by today if I'd actually been disciplined for the past several years. I'm also having trouble finding a way of phrasing my specific objections (which, given what the first one is, is ironic), so have the laconic version instead:

- I've never really been fond of their writing. It isn't bad, but I can remember all of one joke in the script of Cosmic Star Heroine that actually got me to laugh. They lean heavily on explicit reference and call-out, and ever since the Portal 2 devs said "We didn't reference 'the cake is a lie' because anyone can just repeat what someone else came up with" I haven't been able to stomach that kind of thing. The character designs are in some cases a little too out there to take seriously (a "Gunmancer" for your designated caster in the party makes an attention-getting bullet point on a sizzle reel, but then kind of drags the rest of the setting down to its level in terms of gravitas). The final boss / major villain arrives relatively unannounced and without presenting much philosophical conflict other than its immediate physical threat.
    - The premise of Zeboyd's game design has always been "what if we took the bullshit out of RPGs?", and I have to admit that my own game design exercises have frequently arced toward that. But it turns out that when you take the bullshit out of RPGs, what's left is honestly kind of dull. The only real randomness in the CSH battle engine is whom the enemies choose to attack and (occasionally) with what, which means that if you decide to use a particular strategy, very little is actually going to prevent you from pulling it off. That, combined with the fact that all of your resources regenerate after every battle, means that if you can beat a particular formation of enemies, when you encounter them again, you can win just by selecting the same series of moves. Ironically, this makes battles in CSH even more rote than most JRPGs. (Admittedly, I played on merely the second-highest difficulty setting, rather than the highest, so perhaps I could have wrung more of a challenge out of it than I did.) On the one hand, you'll never miss an attack at random and you'll never have to open the menu to splash healing potions around, but at the same time, you'll never find yourself in an unexpectedly disadvantageous position and have to think your way out of it, nor question whether burning more resources now to clear the current battle more easily will leave you with too little stamina to carry through the boss fight at the end of the dungeon. That's not to say there's no element of strategy or that you can just win by thoughtlessly spamming your best moves, but as I remember it most of the time it's "you put together your combo, and then you win".

I can't in good faith steer you away from CSH, and I likewise can't call it an absolute must-play or a revolution in the indie JRPG scene. It's basically, like most of Zeboyd's RPGs, pretty okay.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Jun Senoue, a Sonic the Hedgehog composer, is doing a Mega Man 4 medley for Smash Ultimate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG5NSiPzfx8

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I bought Mario Tennis Aces at launch and I've played maybe 10 minutes
    It's not the game's fault! But I just... keep forgetting I own it

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It's not the game's fault

Ayy

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Splatoon v.3.2 launches tomorrow, adds Ancho-V Games, two weapons, and balances including all this for Tenta Missiles:

If only one target is selected, 10 missiles are fired and scatters around the target.
    If two target are selected, 5 missiles per target are fired at a faster rate than before.
    Special Power Up now also increase the coverage of missiles explosion.
    Can now target the Rainmaker Shield.
    Damage to the shield reduced by 50%.
    Will now indicates how many missiles will be shot per target

That is nasty.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Some people just aren’t Mario Tennis fans. When it comes to that series I guess you could say their love is equal to zero

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I got to Deepnest in Hollow Knight and got out (and back in, explored, and out again) without dying.

I thought maybe I was overpowered but then I just got to the second Hornet fight and I'm never going to win

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    quick focus is really good in the hornet fight

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yeah I'm gonna explore more for some notches and upgrades first

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    apparently night trap is coming out on Switch. Firstly, what? Secondly, was that game actually good or is it a bad game that became infamous for silly reasons.

• Options
    It's the second one.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    it's so, so bad

I think it's mostly infamous for being the prime example used in the US congressional hearing about video game morality panic that led to the game industry forming the ESRB and the rating system

and then when you actually play it it's actually not really salacious or violent anything, it's just super dumb and lame

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The game’s premise is that you’re some kind of secret government employee tasked with protecting some girls’ slumber party from vampires or...generic bad guys. You do this by watching video feeds (fmv scenes) and triggering the traps when the bad guy enters it. Do it too late and a girl gets snatched and at some point your boss tells you the mission is fucked.

Now that I think about it, the game is very similar to Five Nights at Freddy’s minus the jumpscares.

Anyways, because the game used actual actors instead of graphics, people threw a fit about it and that led to the creation of the ESRB to avoid regulation. Ironically, I think one modern re-release got a T rating.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Also you might see a boob? Or maybe they're just scantily clad in it.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Yeah, there was no nudity in that game. People were just more sensitive about that kind of stuff back then.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Yeah, there was no nudity in that game. People were just more sensitive about that kind of stuff back then.

There was a game with similar packaging that came out around the same time that had a digital boob, which was a *big deal* to one of the customers at my Software Etc. I think those two games got conflated a lot.
    (Noctropolis, I think?)

• Options
    Show me the video game titty

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2018
    OmnipotentBagel was warned for this.

Okay but it's from a pretty old game
    aqi926du980z.png

Tube on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I always wanted to play Tender Loving Care! I even bought it when it came out on GOG but never got around to it.

• Options

aqi926du980z.png

Mods??

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I always wanted to play Tender Loving Care! I even bought it when it came out on GOG but never got around to it.

From what I've seen of it, it's a very special game.

• Options

aqi926du980z.png

Mods??

This is entrapment

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.