As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch - Everyone is Here!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Huh. An update to Mario Kart! I wonder what they are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyPy6fUaCs&t=0s

Oh FUCK yes!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Mix and match the superior Link outfit (blue) with the superior Master Cycle (original recipe)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Throw in the cushion wheels and you have yourself a deal, sir.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone have Enter The Gungeon for Switch? It's half-off right now everywhere ($7.49 instead of $15) so I was thinking I'd get it on Switch so I could have it portable (and I've still got some eShop credit that will make it even cheaper)
    How well does it play with the Joycons (I don't have a Pro controller)? Does it work like a twin-stick shooter in terms of aiming, or is it some other weird system?

Gungeon is brutal but I like it a lot. It's twin-stick but with a trigger button. Speaking of, I suggest remapping fire and roll from the bumpers to the triggers.

Now that the update has dropped I'll have to jump back into it.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I've never been a big fan of the thumbstick material on the joycons. Find that it gets really slick with thumb sweat, and its smooth convex + concave design doesn't give much traction.

Anyone ever tried any third party thumb stick covers? Wondering if getting one with a bit more texture would help

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Is there anything that makes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe better than the WiiU version? Wifey and I love playing MK8 on U.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Is there anything that makes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe better than the WiiU version? Wifey and I love playing MK8 on U.

New courses and karts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    If I remember right it has a better frame rate on split screen multiplayer?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It has all the DLC included, if you don't have that already.
    There are some mechanical additions, notably a third level of drift boost and I believe the acceleration stat display now works properly.

It's not a huge, huge upgrade over the original, but it is an upgrade.

And on the topic of Switch exclusive updates I moved my Switch around in the house till it could finally connect to the wifi properly, Splatoon 2 is a lot of fun and has way more new stuff in it than I was expecting! Though, granted, I don't think I stuck around through all the content patches for the first Splatoon, so some of this stuff that's new to me may well have been part of that, but whatever, it's nice to have a team-based online game where I don't feel like dead weight half the time.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So two kids at the teen camp I direct this summer have got me back into Pokemon.

And now I just beat the first gym leader in Crystal.

But I wanted some outside perspective on my collective Pokemon party:

Blue; Totodile lvl 13
    Turnip; Hoppip lvl 9
    Wub-Wub; Sentret lvl 6
    Rocky; Geodude lvl 8
    Onyx; Onyx, lvl 5

Thoughts? Advice?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If youre not planning on battling competitively, every Pokemon is viable. Just go with what you like and have fun.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

They added some nice quality of life improvements, particularly if you have kids/nieces/nephews/inexperienced players/etc. For each player you can now toggle the following options:

Motion control, which is the same as its always been, so not really a factor
    Automatic acceleration - your kart will accelerate without you needing to press any buttons
    Driver assist - the computer will take control of your kart if you are close to getting off track and force you back on course.

The second two options are incredible if you end up playing with young children in particular. With them enabled, I have seen two year olds able to complete the SNES Rainbow Road without falling off once.

Of course, all of this is mostly just useful for new/young players. If you do not play with those often, then the Switch version is mostly the same as the Wii U version.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    If youre not planning on battling competitively, every Pokemon is viable. Just go with what you like and have fun.

this, but also:

geodude and onyx have mediocre stats and one of the worst type combinations, you can find better rock or ground types and you definitely don't need both of them

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If you got someone to trade with to get Onix evolved into Steelix once you get a metal coat it's worth keeping around though.

Steelix is good and strong, especially in gen 2.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Just have your types mostly covered and you'll be fine, and if you ever do decide to get serious you can do all that post-game anyway, assuming you caught the things you only get one chance at as you went.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So two kids at the teen camp I direct this summer have got me back into Pokemon.

And now I just beat the first gym leader in Crystal.

But I wanted some outside perspective on my collective Pokemon party:

Blue; Totodile lvl 13
    Turnip; Hoppip lvl 9
    Wub-Wub; Sentret lvl 6
    Rocky; Geodude lvl 8
    Onyx; Onyx, lvl 5

Thoughts? Advice?

You playing legit or emulated? Because my thoughts are you gotta grind out a Metal Coat and get a Steelix going

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

this, but also:

geodude and onyx have mediocre stats and one of the worst type combinations, you can find better rock or ground types and you definitely don't need both of them

Goddamnit but Geodude is so cool

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so use him! you don't need my permission!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I CRAVE APPROVAL

• Options
    Man I hope they do some re-balancing in gen 8 so being a rock or ice type isn't a death sentence for anything that doesn't have insane stats.

They won't, but ya know.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Also nerf everything biting ghosts please

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ugggggggggh I fucked up putting on my new Switch screen protector, there was a very noticable dust spot under the glass. So, I peeled up the glass, wiped it off, stuck it back on, and now there's a giant air bubble where that dust was that's bigger than when I started plus 2 new dust spots on the top of the screen and I want to scream

Luckily this thing comes with two protectors, I'm gonna do this with help tomorrow

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I work at a job that involves framing.

It has beaten down the fact that I will never voluntarily apply anything to screens. Staring at glass over and over breaks your mind.

• Options
    Managed to use my finger to press the bubble down to a managable size, moved from the center of the screen about 2 inches in diameter to split into 2 like 1/3 inch bubbles down near the bottom, still noticeable though. And the other bubbles are dust bubbles so I can't get rid of them :-1:

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I want to get Enter the Gungeon on the Switch, but I've already played it a bunch on PC and don't want to lose all my unlocks.

broken image link
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My wife loves roguelikes and has played the hell out of Binding of Isaac but didn't enjoy Enter the Gungeon on her Macbook because you need a mouse for it so Switch was perfect for this.

Also, easy coop!

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man I hope they do some re-balancing in gen 8 so being a rock or ice type isn't a death sentence for anything that doesn't have insane stats.

They won't, but ya know.

maybe they'll nerf stealth rock now that Charizard and Moltres are current-gen

that would be really nice

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

They won't, but ya know.

maybe they'll nerf stealth rock now that Charizard and Moltres are current-gen

that would be really nice

Unfortunately I think the only nerf we'll ever get for stealth rock was defog clearing it.

Which doesn't really help most of the Pokemon rendered unuasable by it sooooo

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    competitive pokemon sucks

note: i am an ice type

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    only having the equivalent of 155hp at level 100 really hurts Charizard IMHO

that's a base stat of, like, minus 25

stealth rock is a bad move

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Stealth Rock will very likely never be dealt with because in the official competitive Pokemon metagame it's almost never used

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    isn't for realsies pokemon competition always doubles or something like that?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Enter the Gungeon is really hard and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get good enough to make later progress before I fall off

I wish it had either bigger power swings like Binding of Isaac or a better form of consistent progress

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Give me Rogue Legacy on Switch

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

all battles are doubles
    between 4-6 pokemon, depending on event format
    only banned pokémon are mythical, "some legendary", and Ash-Greninja
    no duplicate pokémon
    no duplicate items
    all pokémon are set to level 50 (including those below, so no Focus Sash+Endeavor+Quick Attack rattatas)
    five minute time limit per player

apparently they usually restrict by pokedex as well, so 2017 was Unova Pokedex only and 2018 allows the National Dex?

• Options
    Wait, what's the difference between a mythical pokemon and a legendary pokemon

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Wait, what's the difference between a mythical pokemon and a legendary pokemon

Mythical pokémon are event exclusives, legendary pokemon are... well, the rest.

The terminology was basically just JP-only until Gen V.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

all battles are doubles
    between 4-6 pokemon, depending on event format
    only banned pokémon are mythical, "some legendary", and Ash-Greninja
    no duplicate pokémon
    no duplicate items
    all pokémon are set to level 50 (including those below, so no Focus Sash+Endeavor+Quick Attack rattatas)
    five minute time limit per player

apparently they usually restrict by pokedex as well, so 2017 was Unova Pokedex only and 2018 allows the National Dex?

Yeah, to expound on the "some legendary," there's a term (Special Pokemon) for the big endboss monsters like Mewtwo, Zygarde, and the cover legendaries (minus Suicune)

Mythicals are pretty much always banned, Special Pokemon are sometimes banned, but sometimes restricted to one or two. So for example you could use Lugia and Xerneas but the other four have to be normal legendaries or nonlegendary Pokemon.

A lot of legendaries are useable (the beasts, the regis, Cresselia, Latias/Latios (Soul Dew item is always banned though), many others) without restriction, but the big crazy ones and the events monsters that aren't necessarily available to everyone are restricted. Which seems fair to me!

This discussion has been closed.