As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Legion] Begun the Clone Wars have.

Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSporkRegistered User regular
edited March 2019 in Critical Failures
So Fantasy Flight made a new game. You may remember them from the X-Wing Miniature and Star Wars Armada games. This one is all ground combat.

It looks a bit like this.

pw9gp9al52r6.png

42lo3s515z7v.jpg

However unlike X-Wing and Armada these models come unpainted.

It just came out so is very new.

Link to FFG Legion page

So far there is the Core Set which comes with:
Darth Vader, Two Stormtrooper Squads, and 1 Speeder Bike Squad
Luke Skywalker, Two Rebel Trooper Squads, and 1 AT-RT.

Expansions right now are:
Stormtrooper squad
Rebel Trooper Squad
AT-RT
Speeder Bikes
T-47 Snowspeeder
AT-ST Walker
Extra Dice and Rulers
Some more Barricades
Cool Star Warsy boxes and moister evaporators that actually come with new cards.

Future announced expansions are:
General Veers
Snowtrooper squad
Princess Leia
Rebel Fleet Troopers
Han Solo
Rebel Commando squad

Please discuss it here? I don't know it has been forever since I made a thread in this sub forum.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Librarian's ghost on

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I ordered the core set which should be here today. I mainly wanted to try painting the models and play it casually with a fellow teacher after school.

*Edit* Immediately after posting this the box arrived. Creepy.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm really liking the scale of the minis. Vader is taller than a Primaris Space Marine. The plastic leaves something to be desired and it makes mold lines annoying to remove but thankfully they aren't terrible. The bent lightsabers we're also super easy to fix.

I'm really looking forward to painting them once I get everything assembled.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the scale of the minis. Vader is taller than a Primaris Space Marine. The plastic leaves something to be desired and it makes mold lines annoying to remove but thankfully they aren't terrible. The bent lightsabers we're also super easy to fix.

I'm really looking forward to painting them once I get everything assembled.

My models have very little required clean-up. I'm impressed.

Also a second set of dice is almost a required purchase. Like all FFG games they short change you on dice.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost MY MAN!

I am currently on the way home with a core set, AT-ST, and a Snowspeeder in tow!

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    edited March 2018
    Nax wrote: »
    @timspork's ghost MY MAN!

I am currently on the way home with a core set, AT-ST, and a Snowspeeder in tow!

Tell me how the AT-ST is! I want to magnetize the mortar.

I plan to get paint supplies tomorrow.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2018
    Last week I was actually checking up and noticed there still wasn't a thread. Almost made one, even :)

I am at a friend's finishing our Descent campaign, but will absolutely give you my thoughts. I will open it now

Edit: This thing is gorgeous. I can't find a single mold line on any of it. It's also going to be very big. The head alone is half the size of a soda can

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    edited March 2018
    Last week I was actually checking up and noticed there still wasn't a thread. Almost made one, even :)

I am at a friend's finishing our Descent campaign, but will absolutely give you my thoughts. I will open it now

Edit: This thing is gorgeous. I can't find a single mold line on any of it. It's also going to be very big. The head alone is half the size of a soda can

Nice! I saw a picture where someone had popped the back of the head off by running a hobby knife around the seam to access the interior to magnatize the mortar.

Librarian's ghost on

I think that will definitely be possible, but I think it should be fairly easy to do from the outside as well...

I told my friends that I wouldn't absolutely be opening everything while we played Descent, but I didn't wanna be super rude and get too involved.

All of the sculpts/casts are amazing and surprisingly clean throughout

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I just wish they made the models the same size as the Imperial Assault figures, so I could use IA figures as legion squads,
    like Fenn Signis and the alliance rangers make a good squad of rebels. Kayn Somos makesa good squad leader for the Imperials too.

Or a squad entirely out of some of the characters. Bossk plus the Trandoshans in the core IA set make a great alien squad of rebels. Just bring some diversity to the rebels.

Nothing to stop me using them like that anyway I suppose.

Do check your models in the core set when you get them. I've seen reports of wrong pieces and just found I got three of one stormtrooper torso instead of two of one and two of a different torso so the arm pegs don't go in.

Apparently it is fairly painless to report this to FFG and get the correct parts. However I, being a veteran of the Imperial Guard, will simply slice the pegs off and glue the arms on, thus having a unique figure!

Other than that I have been extremely impressed by the lack of mold lines on my models. Mostly it has just been a little clean up on the top of the stormtrooper helmets.

Hobby store was out of T-47 speeders. Thought about getting an AT-ST but I figured I'll wait till I learn the game. Got my paint supplies but it is too cold outside to prime anything.

Just got home with some new glue. Time to sit down in front of some cartoon with my daughter. She will be coloring and I will be assembling models. Think the T-47 is first

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The unpainted models are a huge turn-off.

Half the reason I got into x-wing and armada was that I didn't have to paint.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    They're absolutely going after the WH/40k crowd and probably not X-wing/Armada (aside from the obvious license overlap), so unpainted models makes sense to me. I don't mind playing with unpainted stuff personally, so it's not a big deal though.

I refuse to play with @Nax 's set unless it's painted though. Chop chop :biggrin:

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Poopy photo but Vader's painted!

9GQASVjl.jpg

My AT-ST is finished. This model is rad as hell!

I am so impressed with the quality of these models, the cleanliness of the pre-cut components, and the ease of assembly. FFG are doing things some other large gaming company hasn't figured out over the past 30

• novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    I'm loving the quality reports, but I need more game info!

Anyone played a few games yet and have some impressions to share?

No batreps because I have no friends. I have been reading the rules though and I'm really impressed by a lot of it. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

I'm really enjoying painting the minis. I think I've found a decent balance of quality and speed. Their huge size and softer details due to both the source material and the casting material is refreshingly low-stress after painting a lot of Infinity minis.

And here's a shitty photo of my first finished speeder bike:

DciKbpel.jpg

Ugh. I really want to start painting but it is still too cold out to prime anything.

Nice, @Dr_Keenbean!

I should be getting a few games in next weekend with @crimsoncoyote so I will definitely post about them :)

Okay. I unsafely primed a model inside because I live dangerously.

Test Stormtrooper. Have not painted this much white in a long time.

5zzfgmwrx1kq.jpg

I already see some cleanup to do on the left leg.

Captain Rex Rebel test. Their camouflage in Return of the Jedi I'm pretty sure was painted onto the fabric so is very blurry and patchy in the movie. Hard to replicate. Added some minor yellow lines on the helmet kinda like in Rogue One and red light on the gun just for added color.

bg9ce5tk9kmu.jpg

Both of these guys look real good from a foot away more more so I am very happy with them. Rex is almost all custom colors though so the rest will probably change a bit.

I can't figure out how I'm going to base my stuff and I can't start on rebels until I've decided on that.

Still crappy but a little better photo of both speeders done:
    YPScIe8l.jpg

edited March 2018
    I can't figure out how I'm going to base my stuff and I can't start on rebels until I've decided on that.

Yeah especially since the vehicle bases kinda need those arc lines visible.

Librarian's ghost on

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I had some Amazonbucks to spend, so the base game and Empire/Republic reinforcement boxes are coming mid-week. Really looking forward to playing this one, altho I doubt that I will do more than prime the minis.

I'm a little worried by how much Fantasy Flight seems to be carpet-bombing the market at launch; I wonder if they are not confident that the Star Wars license will have legs, given how badly sales have dropped on other merchandise.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Yeah especially since the vehicle bases kinda need those arc lines visible.

I wonder if basing them with sand, but not putting glue (and so no sand) on the arc lines would make them visible and not look like ass

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    I've seen some people paint vertical lines on the base rim before putting any sand on. That seems a decent solution. Though I personally intend to do something along the lines of @KetBra's suggestion.

In other news I've been playing around with army building. I had been reluctant to pick this up at first due to not wanting to paint lots of models to complete an army. I did 40k for 26 years and now I'm much more interested in stuff like Infinity where I only need to paint a few things. At 800pts, I came up with an army consisting of like 20 models. That is well within acceptable parameters especially since these minis feel incredibly low-pressure and paint up quickly.

I played my first game and had a bunch of fun. Also it got warm enough to prime so now everything is drying.

Also I've begun reestablishing my old miniature painting desk from my 40k days. Going to need some more paints.

Two days until I can play! So excite

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I got my core set in. Now to clean, assemble, prime, etc. And maybe find someone to play with.

I ordered my core set, but no extra models.
    I've got enough Imperial Assault figures to make up 2 more squads of stormtroopers and 4-5 of rebels if I need them.
    I can use the AT-ST and AT-DP from the game as Legion ones if I need to aswell

Oh and I ordered an Imperial Guard Sentinel to use as a proxy AT-RT and another squad of Guardsmen to paint up as a more combat ready version of Fleet Troopers (which will make me have 20 of them or 4 squads)

Will probably only ever play myself so i don't mind mixing game systems, as Legion and IA are different sized.

When priming things I also primed the movement things and the range ruler. Now I’m painting the range ruler red. I don’t know why.

I painted my movement things. Primed black, heavy drybrush silver, a little black in spots, and red pips.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    When priming things I also primed the movement things and the range ruler. Now I’m painting the range ruler red. I don’t know why.

Painting the ruler red. You're painting the ruler red. You dare not stop. Or waste a drop. So let the paint be spread.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I painted my movement things. Primed black, heavy drybrush silver, a little black in spots, and red pips.

Same with mine.

Nearly finished one Scout Trooper and base coated all the Stormtroopers and Vader is about midway. Also the AT-RT itself is done. I need a bunch more paint colors to do the Rebels right though.

I played the starter scenario with @crimsoncoyote this evening, and I love this game.

Lightsabers are hilariously strong. Vader wiped out a full strength Rebel squad in one swing. Luke was one wound short of killing both speeder bikes in one swing.

I feel like the only counter to the AT-RT for the Imps is getting Vader into close combat with it, which is not great, but it was a very fun time and I really enjoy the system!

I played the starter scenario with @crimsoncoyote this evening, and I love this game.

Lightsabers are hilariously strong. Vader wiped out a full strength Rebel squad in one swing. Luke was one wound short of killing both speeder bikes in one swing.

I feel like the only counter to the AT-RT for the Imps is getting Vader into close combat with it, which is not great, but it was a very fun time and I really enjoy the system!

Don't stormtroopers have a missile dude, that seems like a good counter to AT-RTs, assuming there's no t-47s flying around

edited April 2018
    Yeah anything with lots of Impact X will take down an AT-RT. The missile launcher is good at range and if it gets close - impact grenades! Then, depending on the size of the squad you could be dropping 6 black dice with Impact 6!

Dr_Keenbean on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    The "learn to play" scenario only uses standard stormtroopers

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I ended up getting this.

Painting is hard and kinda frustrating to get the little small details right on but at the same time it's kinda fun.

Hopefully I get to actually play at some point.