As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[March For Our Lives] Not a gun or school shooting thread

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    One of the speakers, 15 yrs old, did a kind of poem. Started off with them at 10 and how they did nothing when shootings happened. Poem changed in the middle. She started saying what she would do now and in the future. When she’s 30, she’s running for senate. When she’s 35, President.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This photo is a bit more charged but fuck it.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Had to leave the rally early but one of the Columbine survivors came on stage and dropped this on us. If you have money in the stock market, there may be a chance that you unknowingly have money in one or more of the publicly traded gun companies. I didn’t get the names of said companies, they went by too fast. When she found out, she immediately got the money moved. So if everybody did that, “There’s poetic justice is using the free market to hurt their bottom line.”

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think of the clip videos the NYT has one of the best.

https://nyti.ms/2G4MAN3

Still weird to think of Columbine as something that happened 20 years ago. Still one of those moments in my life I remember with near perfect clarity where I was when that happened and then a blur as that shit kind of up ended a lot of my life for the next three months. I luckily was not at Columbine, but I went to the sister school and we took in the kids from Columbine after the shooting so they could finish their school year as Columbine itself was too damaged from the explosives the attackers had used.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    NBC covering this. Really powerful stuff, but lots of debris left behind...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I was watching one of the kids from Parkland speak in DC before I went to work. Incredibly moving stuff, even for my black cynical heart.

It's clear all other generations that have come before now are useless vis-a-vis gun control. I hope these kids are different, and don't become bitter cynics at their initial failures when the systems stonewalls them.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Some pics here

Portland march was quite peaceful and went well. A pizza shop we went into to use the bathroom didn't get the memo, I guess. They only had two staff working. Yikes.

What the hell did you do to their bathroom?

[edit]You know what? I don't want to know.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I was watching one of the kids from Parkland speak in DC before I went to work. Incredibly moving stuff, even for my black cynical heart.

It's clear all other generations that have come before now are useless vis-a-vis gun control. I hope these kids are different, and don't become bitter cynics at their initial failures when the systems stonewalls them.

I hope the same, that their efforts find themselves the opposite of ours, I hope their success here emboldens them and this starts the climate and social change movements that us millennials were told had to happen but could never quite make real.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/24/17159916/march-for-our-lives-emma-gonzalez-silence

I wasn’t able to make a march today so I’m catching up on videos. Emma Gonzalez’ intense moment of silence had me tearing up. What a force of nature.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Some pics here

Portland march was quite peaceful and went well. A pizza shop we went into to use the bathroom didn't get the memo, I guess. They only had two staff working. Yikes.

What the hell did you do to their bathroom?

[edit]You know what? I don't want to know.

Nothing. They just had a line out the door and were in no way properly staffed for it. I felt bad.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I’m a grown man crying my eyes out cooking dinner and listening to msnbc. Just wanted to drop in and say that Emma Gonzalez is a total badass and that if she’s the future then we’re all in good hands.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    went to the SF rally and march. so many of the teens that went up to speak, they are incredible leaders already and are really effective at getting their message out. i have a lot of hope for the future because they will be leading it.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That is disturbing as fuck. Just ... wtf are you doing at school america?

I think shit like this is why we are finally seeing this kind of thing now. These kids speaking up have basically lived their entire lives in america's active-shooter-drill culture and so we've got a generation coming of age with many people who feel super strongly about this issue.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it makes sense that they run those drills and I'm glad they do it but it never even crossed my mind that that was a thing until I started hearing stories about them after Parkland

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I won't lie - I feel blessed I got out of school before that stuff started getting common. Like, when I grew up, there were two main drills - Fire and Tornado. Both things that were indiscriminate - and terrified me. If I had to deal with shooter drills, I probably would be even more messed up.

Yes, being prepared and safe is a good thing. But.. six? Fucking six? I know it is born out of an abundance of caution, but the thought that at any time, someone could come in and end your life has to weigh super heavy on people. And they aren't wrong... I hope we get to a point where we don't need active shooter drills anymore.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    it makes sense that they run those drills and I'm glad they do it but it never even crossed my mind that that was a thing until I started hearing stories about them after Parkland

They are super fun! Especially the unscheduled, unannounced version.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What the fuck? You make kids through drills they think are real?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

What the fuck? You make kids through drills they think are real?

My administration is bad at communication. Like, really, seriously bad at it.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Columbine happened right before I started high school. I remember right after the shooting our principal following my friends and I through the hallways because we were different. I imagine these days he runs shooter drills. It seems things have only gotten worse since I was a child. America needs to wake the fuck up.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I grew up with active shooter drills. Knew what to do so well that when I was in an actual situation I did everything I needed to do without any training as a substitute teacher and without reading any of the emergency guidelines

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was almost out of high school during Columbine. I don't remember any big changes right away. Hearing stories of what his are going through now and seeing that a not insignificant part of the population doesn't see it as a problem really makes me sad. I'm super proud of what these kids are doing, though, and that gives me hope.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I was a junior in high school when Columbine happened. The only change my school made was: there was a group of friends, about 4 or 5 guys who wore robes to school (over their clothes, not just robes). They made them each pin a note on the back of their robes that said "NOT A TRENCHCOAT".

I should note that my high school was one of the (at the time) three in my city. The other high school was Marjory Stoneman Douglas. One of my best friends has a sister who is a teacher at MSD. She was interviewed on msnbc yesterday.

C1p3Dgtl.jpg

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    A couple views from yesterday on Pennsylvania Ave:

ae0qcad8cczf.jpeg

s4fsvb9nb2ug.jpeg

w2jtnnqgj008.jpeg

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I think shit like this is why we are finally seeing this kind of thing now. These kids speaking up have basically lived their entire lives in america's active-shooter-drill culture and so we've got a generation coming of age with many people who feel super strongly about this issue.

Yeah, I imagine what a happened here is that all the active shooter safety drills us schools have to have instead of say, just banning most guns, have made these kids utterly hate the very idea of someone owning a gun. And now, due to urbanization they are the generation probably with the least exposure to guns. So, one can hope that the nras poison has come home to roost here, and they have managed to create a generation where no one supports the second amendment.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    We never had any of those sort of drills. We did have one incident at my old high school I've personally heard of with a student who had possession of a sawed-off shotgun accompanied by a box of shells in his locker, however.

I mainly know this because earlier that day I'd had an shouting argument with him in morning gym class, only to find out later that afternoon when I passed by and saw the school guards along with several police officers there discussing the matter at the scene of the find in the hallway.

Then there was the time someone came to my college campus and shot their ex-girlfriend, then committed suicide by handgun in front of all the nearby students. I missed seeing that one in person as I was busy in Oceanography class, but I certainly heard a great deal about it from a very nice lady friend who saw the entire thing play out in front of her.

So it's good that this is finally getting a march about it, is what I'm saying.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah, I imagine what a happened here is that all the active shooter safety drills us schools have to have instead of say, just banning most guns, have made these kids utterly hate the very idea of someone owning a gun. And now, due to urbanization they are the generation probably with the least exposure to guns. So, one can hope that the nras poison has come home to roost here, and they have managed to create a generation where no one supports the second amendment.

Feels like most of the kids at my urban school want us to be armed, because guns are so ubiquitous in their lives outside of school. :(

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Don't know if this made the news anywhere else, but this happened fairly recently:

http://wwmt.com/news/local/paw-paw-high-school-closed-monday-due-to-threat

Not five miles from me. This is why these kids march, because they're figuring out that they can't trust adults to be adults about this kind of thing and are having to take it into their own hands to deal with it. I only hope this all follows through in the fall and over the next couple of years, because we owe our children a safe school time, without them having to worry that some nut with a gun is going to come in and kill everybody.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I drove by the one here locally, about 50 people, mostly college students and high schoolers. About the same number of counter protestors. Hooray living in a red state

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I drove by the one here locally, about 50 people, mostly college students and high schoolers. About the same number of counter protestors. Hooray living in a red state

A bunch of the marches apparently had armed counterprotestors hanging around making a point of brandishing rifles and saying there'd be consequences if the kids tried anything.

Gotta love some peoples' priorities.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Estimated 12,000 marched in Portland. Not bad. Women's March was 70-100k for comparison.

Wonder how many were in DC.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

A bunch of the marches apparently had armed counterprotestors hanging around making a point of brandishing rifles and saying there'd be consequences if the kids tried anything.

Like what?! Trying not to get shot?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

Like what?! Trying not to get shot?

One of the things that these protests have done to the other side is left them baffled as to how to respond, because their usual gameplan doesn't seem to be working anymore.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Can we just admit, here and now, forevermore, that the guns are there to threaten and kill people, including children, who resist reactionary policy and norms? Like, not this forum, just, the country.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, in response to a historic level of outrage and anger regarding gun violence, some people decided to try to intimidate them by brandishing firearms in their presence (figuratively if not literally).

Really working against that stereotype there, folks. If I wanted to harden a generation against my view (were I a.. gun enthusiast, that is), I can’t think of many better ways to do so. On a day that many will remember for the rest of their lives, an example, a symbol of the attitudes they so loathe, was present to drive home why this cannot remain the status quo.

So... thanks, assholes. May those who decided that bringing guns with them to counter protest see their effort backfire spectacularly.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I was curious if anyone would be stupid enough to risk the bad optics of threatening children with guns.

Which was pretty stupid of me, because this is America and of course there are people that stupid.

Zomro on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    There needs to be an iconic picture of this. Teenagers marching for peace and gun control and counter protestors in the background with AR's and signs that say STANDING MY GROUND or something.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Can we just admit, here and now, forevermore, that the guns are there to threaten and kill people, including children, who resist reactionary policy and norms? Like, not this forum, just, the country.

I remember back in 09, when a guy(and its always guys, not being sexist but I have never seen any stories about women...) showed up to protest Obama having a gun strapped to a holster by his side. How big a news story that was back then. And the followup incident where a bunch of right wing guys showed up to another demonstration and one of them(the sole black guy) had a assault rifle slung across is shoulder. The rifle was unloaded, but according to one of guys with him, he was packing a concealed loaded pistol "in case one of the ACORN nuts tried anything". This was back when ACORN was being the right wing cause de jour due to a fake edited tape.

I remember how this was seen as beyond the pale even by the right wing media at the time. It got so bad that even the NRA had to make some hem-hem noises about "they are just exercising their rights" and "didn't represent the vast majority of gun owners in their actions".

How quaint piece of history that is.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.