As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] 240 Days Till Brexit

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    Robonun wrote: »
    So what would be the British equivalent of "eat at Arby's"?

"Happy Eater next exit"

I would favour "Every little helps" given the parody nihilist context.

"Don't sign on the dotted line until you talk to TEMPO"

I may have misunderstood what this conversation is about.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just a reminder that posts consisting of nothing but eat at Arby’s or the even more hideous equivalent Happy Eater next exit count as nihilism and will get dinged.

Fucking bang on with the Happy Eater reference though, champ.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    For extra hilarity, don't forget that Boris Johnson is the most likely person to become the next Prime Minister.

Christ that's a depressing thought.

Better or worse than Rees-Mog becoming PM?

Yes.

Maybe we could open a transdimensional portal to Anhk-Morpork and swap Boris Johnson for Bloody Stupid Johnson.

At least he would have actually delivered a garden bridge.

Yeah, but it would be built over one gutter.

Could we just give Boris the nickname Bloody Stupid Johnson and be done with it? Even shortening it to BS Johnson would work.

His middle name doesn't start with an S does it? Because that would be too perfect.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    In more local politicsy news Mayor Andy is impressing me more and more

he responded very rapidly to the news about the Manchester fire brigade reporting issues they had during the attack, and his responses always seem genuine.

I really like him as a mayor and part of me would like to see him at a higher level of politics, but I don't think he'd be able to have the same leverage? I hope he doesn't do something terrible to make him disliked because its rare these days I see a politician I feel actually cares.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    For extra hilarity, don't forget that Boris Johnson is the most likely person to become the next Prime Minister.

Yes.

Maybe we could open a transdimensional portal to Anhk-Morpork and swap Boris Johnson for Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Could we just give Boris the nickname Bloody Stupid Johnson and be done with it? Even shortening it to BS Johnson would work.

His middle name doesn't start with an S does it? Because that would be too perfect.

His middle name is actually Boris

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

You can see why he tends not to use his full name in front of the punters

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    He was Secretary of State for Health, campaigned for a cross-party group to address NHS reforms with the support of the Lib Dems and the Tories, til they backed out once Brown called the election.
    Seems a decent guy, but I reckon he's probably not going to go back to Westminster. Certainly not like he's not had a decent innings there as part of Blair and Brown's cabinets, think he's found his niche in more devolved politics for the next decade. When I've heard him in interviews he sounds like someone who genuinely believes in what government can do and was frustrated by politics getting in the way - think he would be more than happy to be in the position where he is now, where there's more power to take direct action and most people are largely on the same page rather than weighing up what is right against what puts them in spitting distance of Number 10.

But then I say that with a knowingly naive sense of local city politics. I'd be happy for him as Labour leader of PM though (think there's going to be a good crop coming up through the various mayors).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Andy Burnham ran for leader against Corbyn the first time, I believe. Or maybe against Ed Milliband?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Andy Burnham ran for leader against Corbyn the first time, I believe. Or maybe against Ed Milliband?

A quick Wikipedia scan says he ran against and lost to both.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am pretty sure that rees-mogg would beat any of the current crop of labour leadership hopefuls or corbyn

hes at the early boris career stage level of teflon and hasnt had enough time or importance for his views to make him seriously toxic

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    First time he ran he was not the natural successor, or the Unions' choice - second time he was the "back to the what we did before?" choice rather than the sudden "return to the Left!" or the maybe "Britain is Right(ward leaning)?" option.

Good man, decent politician - never going to be the easy choice once things start going anti-establishment.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Yes.

Bloody Stupid Johnson was by all accounts a decent guy and human being who was just very bad at dimensions.

I object strongly to tarnishing his name by associating it with Boris.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

Yes.

Bloody Stupid Johnson was by all accounts a decent guy and human being who was just very bad at dimensions.

I object strongly to tarnishing his name by associating it with Boris.

The man was so bad at dimensions he broke space and time in a way that would make The Doctor jealous. If we could get him working on Brexit, he might come up with something we could use.
    The most likely outcome would be literally severing us from Europe (and the planet Earth), transforming Britain and Northern Ireland into orbital habitats.
    And because it was specified in the design document, there would actually be a seamless border transition with Ireland, so he'd invent some kind of Stargate style interface to get it done.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The hoho is still my favourite landscape feature.

• Options
    I think we call them a haha over here. But I've also heard them called a ahah so who knows??

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, in the real world they're called ha-has. BSJ's ho-ho was 50 foot deep.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Boris' would probably be a haw-haw.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Here's the actual Beano letter, by the way:

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think we call them a haha over here. But I've also heard them called a ahah so who knows??

The hoho is the BS Johnson version. It's much deeper than the haha.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Here's the actual Beano letter, by the way:

witter.com/BeanoOfficial/status/981441242000105472

Marco Biagi is the openly gay former MSP for Edinburgh Central. Disclaimer: I met him at a Eurovision party once

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Emetic on many different levels at once. Bravo.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Could someone explain the quick dismissal of Sinn Fein in the Ireland explanatory post? I'm pretty ignorant about Irish politics but was surprised to see a left-wing party written off without a description.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The dispute over antisemitism doesn't look like it is going to stop being a thing soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/06/leaked-minutes-show-labour-at-odds-over-antisemitism-claims
    The depth of the split in the Labour party’s ruling body over antisemitism and racism has been laid bare in leaked minutes that show fierce disagreements over disciplinary action.

Key supporters of Jeremy Corbyn attempted to block action against Labour members facing complaints, according to the minutes obtained by the Guardian.

Momentum’s founder, Jon Lansman, and the MP Jon Trickett were two prominent figures who voted to limit disciplinary action in three contentious cases, multiple sources said. Lansman has been outspoken in recent days on the need for Labour to take antisemitism cases in the party seriously.

The minutes of the meeting in early March show how fractured the disciplinary body has become. Sources said cases involving Corbyn supporters were regularly automatically viewed as being politically motivated.

Among the cases which allies of the Labour leader pushed to rule out the possibility of expulsion were:

A member who allegedly made threats when another raised concern about antisemitism and blamed Zionists for causing his problems in the party.

A member accused of making antisemitic remarks on social media.

A member accused of using a racial slur against a black candidate.
    Williams moved an amendment to defend another case where a woman is reported to have made antisemitic remarks on social media, as well as supporting George Galloway in Manchester Gorton against Labour.

In both cases, trade union members and others on the NEC including MPs and councillors intervened and blocked attempts to just give the members a warning and training, instead referring them to Labour’s highest disciplinary body, the national constitutional committee (NCC), which can recommend expulsion.
    The article makes it sound like a few Corbyn supporters versus everybody else.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Could someone explain the quick dismissal of Sinn Fein in the Ireland explanatory post? I'm pretty ignorant about Irish politics but was surprised to see a left-wing party written off without a description.

Quick Google points to a very likely reason, (seriously, eww) but I admit that I'm ignorant of the subject.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

They're the political arm of the IRA, those that used to blow stuff up. They stopped but a lot of the same people are still there and that is history you don't shed quickly or easily.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

They're the political arm of the IRA, those that used to blow stuff up. They stopped but a lot of the same people are still there and that is history you don't shed quickly or easily.

The image was a bit more pointed when it was Gerry Adams but he retired from leadership earlier this year.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Yeah, I knew that they were pro-IRA, but I guess I didn't expect that to necessarily be a dealbreaker for Irish people. Their political positions seem decent and they have enough popular support to gain representation, so I was surprised to see a one line dismissal when small, mostly irrelevant parties were given an informative description.

I'm also curious as to whether Desktop Hippie was dismissing Sinn Fein in general or its current leader (who I know nothing about).

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Yeah, I knew that they were pro-IRA, but I guess I didn't expect that to necessarily be a dealbreaker for Irish people. Their political positions seem decent and they have enough popular support to gain representation, so I was surprised to see a one line dismissal when small, mostly irrelevant parties were given an informative description.

I'm also curious as to whether Desktop Hippie was dismissing Sinn Fein in general or its current leader (who I know nothing about).

Sinn Féin as a whole. I get that they’ve put the past (mostly) behind them, but they’re still very much the IRA in sheep’s clothing.

I feel pretty much exactly the same way about the DUP.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Sinn Féin as a whole. I get that they’ve put the past (mostly) behind them, but they’re still very much the IRA in sheep’s clothing.

Yeah, there's a nice thick vein of sectarianism that runs right through the party. Like this absolute gowl.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    HerrCron wrote: »

Yeah, there's a nice thick vein of sectarianism that runs right through the party. Like this absolute gowl.
    Point taken, thank you for the explanation.

Even though I've read about the Troubles, I feel like I sometimes underestimate how brutal it was, just because I'm not used to thinking about that sort of political violence in the UK.
    The workmen were taken out of their minibus and shot dead. Their Catholic colleague was spared because he told the gunmen his religion.

I mean that sounds like a story from ISIS-era Iraq, holy fuck.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Even though I've read about the Troubles, I feel like I sometimes underestimate how brutal it was, just because I'm not used to thinking about that sort of political violence in the UK.
    The workmen were taken out of their minibus and shot dead. Their Catholic colleague was spared because he told the gunmen his religion.

Also, civil war era Iraq.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

It was nasty, everyone involved fighting like there was no rules. It blows my mind brexiters are so flippant about trashing the peace we have now. Like whee lets go back to families mysteriously vanishing never to be seen again and extra judicial hit squads of SAS hunting down paramilitaries and burning them alive. Sounds fun!

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The Comedian Patrick Kielty did a documentary for the BBC called “My Dad, The Peace Deal and Me” in which he spoke movingly and at length about the murder of his father at the hands of the UVF, the IRA contacting him to offer a “revenge” murder (he declined) and the impact the murder had on his family, with similar stories from other families from every background in Northern Ireland, along with the impact the Good Friday Agreement had.

They aired it on April 4th so it should be on BBC iPlayer for whoever has access to that.

• Options
    Corbyn is 'Kremlin's useful idiot', says Boris Johnson
    Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has described Jeremy Corbyn as the "Kremlin's useful idiot" over his response to the Salisbury poisoning.

He said the Labour leader was giving Moscow "propaganda" false credibility by refusing to "unequivocally" back the government's view it was responsible.

Labour said Mr Johnson had "made a fool of himself" by misrepresenting what he was told by chemical weapons experts.

It stressed Mr Corbyn had repeatedly said the evidence pointed to Russia.

The sheer irony of Boris calling someone else an idiot almost made me dislocate my eyes by rolling them too hard.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Even a broken clock...

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Frantic distraction from Boris’ own over exaggeration about the limits of Porton’s findings causing a massive credibility hit.

Corbyn is far from blameless though. As usual his core message is pretty sound when you dig into it but he manages to generate massively unhelpful sound bites that muddy the waters.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Fucking right-wingers always balls deep with the goddamn Russians I swear.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Fucking right-wingers always balls deep with the goddamn Russians I swear.

Well, when you believe in authoritarianism and maintaining the status quo, you have a lot in common with brutal oligarchies.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Can't even see this reported elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.