As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't Play With [The Elder Scrolls] Or You'll Go Blind

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    To get the real Morrowind experience print out the map that came with the game box and pin it to your wall, then use little pieces of tape to mark off what caves and dungeons you've explored.

Everything in the game is on that map if you look closely.

Aistan on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That map was so fucking cool. When I realized that basically every cave, ruin, and shipwreck is marked on it...

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That map was the only poster I had hanging in my freshman dorm room.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved both Morrowind and Oblivion, but I could never go back at this point. For every interesting idea and cool system in place, there are just a dozen quality of life improvements that Skyrim made that make going back just sound like work. Especially stuff like Morrowind's lack of natural magic regeneration, cliff racers, and lack of quick travel (which puts crazy value on flight items).

I wish there was more stuff like "Boots of Blinding Speed" in the newer ones though.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I return to Skryim from time to time with the intent that I'm gonna do a pacifist run.

The gentleman scholar mage, earning his money by gathering herbs and brewing potions for sale. Also sells enchanted wares!

The goal being to use that money to build a house with a library and then fill that library with every book in the game.

100 Speech, 100 Alchemy, 100 Enchanting, 100 Illusion.

But I usually get bored and start over before the dream gets realized.

RT800 on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Exploring is juuuust about the only really excellent part of those games. Most everything else is mediocre to bad for me. I hate the combat so much.

The lore is pretty neat though.

sarukun on
  • Options
    It's annoying on my attempted pacifist runs that it flat out doesn't want to let me get my house without breaking pacifist rules.

Like that asshole in Falkreath won't even sell me the land unless I wipe out a cave of bandits for him.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    How pacifist is pacifist? Can you Frenzy some fools or conjure?

"IIII...didn't do it, guard (wink!)"

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    My pacifist runs I usually try not to kill or cause anyone to get killed. No conjuring or frenzy spells. No hirelings.

Sometimes I make exceptions for the undead since they're already... y'know... dead. I figure killin' them is just puttin' things right.

Also automatons.

RT800 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can get pretty far into the Thieves Guild missions without killing anyone, focusing on building the guild up rather than the main plot. Eventually one of the city missions will require a death though. I've tried pacifist a bunch of times, it's a fun challenge but there's not a lot to do with that playstyle. I did have fun raiding Chaurus caves for eggs to make potions though!

I've also done a Technical Pacifist run where I used frenzy a lot.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think I might like Elder Scrolls a lot more if there was a way to work around all the combat.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The blades game is out. I will try it after wook.

• Options
    Is there a mod to put leveled zones in Oblivion? I would like that better.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

it's okay

I like the way they implemented the whole mobile game "build your town!" part, you walk around it in 1st person and decorate it and there's townfolk

the dungeons are all pretty much the same over and over again, which isn't great. And unless you throw a few bucks at it every once in a while, it turns into like "okay gotta wait till I get a new quest that gives me money, oh 800 gold, I need 10k to upgrade this. wonderful"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've recently started playing Skyrim again, but with the Requiem overhaul mod. Currently scraping by at low levels by hunting and making potions to sell, but I keep getting my arse handed to me by wolves. Been too scared to even try a bandit hideout yet. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play very nice with Frostfall. But that's probably a good thing if I actually want to make any progress with the game.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

it's okay

I like the way they implemented the whole mobile game "build your town!" part, you walk around it in 1st person and decorate it and there's townfolk

the dungeons are all pretty much the same over and over again, which isn't great. And unless you throw a few bucks at it every once in a while, it turns into like "okay gotta wait till I get a new quest that gives me money, oh 800 gold, I need 10k to upgrade this. wonderful"

So, it is a money getcha.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...wonder if we're actually gonna get the next Elder Scrolls game this gen. I mean they could still to that announce and release 3 months later but not sure.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...wonder if we're actually gonna get the next Elder Scrolls game this gen. I mean they could still to that announce and release 3 months later but not sure.

They still have to put out Starfield. And I imagine there'll be a few years gap between it and ES6.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    this gen, or next gen? this gen is still ps4/xbone

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls 6 is absolutely a PS5 etc game at this point

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I just started playing Skyrim from scratch with all the expansions, having only played the vanilla a while back
    I ran into a really annoying bug which baffled me that Bethesda didn't gave a hoot about fixing because it basically broke the entire dlc making it impossible to proceed.
    It was the Castle Volkihar one where you are fucked if you found the place beforehand

I read that there are ways you can bypass it but it's still pretty fucked up

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I just started playing Skyrim from scratch with all the expansions, having only played the vanilla a while back
    I ran into a really annoying bug which baffled me that Bethesda didn't gave a hoot about fixing because it basically broke the entire dlc making it impossible to proceed.
    It was the Castle Volkihar one where you are fucked if you found the place beforehand

that's the Bethesda Quality Guarantee!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh I've totally forgot about diplomatic immunity
    I think that's the furthest I've ever went playing Skyrim
    Maybe I will break the curse this year

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Sometimes they break stuff after fixing it too, which is...great. I still remember that for Oblivion in PS3, they fixed the vampire glitch where you could cure vampirism. Then they released the GOTY edition with all DLC and said they were done patching it. Unfortunately that version broke the vampire fix, so you had like a 50% chance you just couldn’t cure vampirism. That is the edition I bought. I was pretty frustrated.

• Options
    I know that I am like 7 years late but I just experienced the soul cairn, I don't know if I should give it props for giving me an actual experience of how it actually feels being stuck in a crappy location for eternity. Never ever going to go back there again even if I got a horse summon out of it

I don't want to be such a bummer so I want to say that I am really enjoying the sense of adventuring and exploring of the world. I really wish the combat and skills would be less limited compared to the scope of the game though

• Options
    I booted Skyrim up again and they've somehow made the mod experience even more overwhelming

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Got my new computer fired up and it just felt necessary to start modding Skyrim, so that's been my last few nights. Not playing Skyrim. No. Just getting back into mods, learning about ENBs, investigating whatever major perk overhaul mod is the new rage, etc.

Eventually maybe I'll play, I'm not even sure I will. I just feels like a properly modded Skyrim is part of a PC setup.

• Options
    WHY IS THERE STILL NO BEARD GROWTH MOD

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Got my new computer fired up and it just felt necessary to start modding Skyrim, so that's been my last few nights. Not playing Skyrim. No. Just getting back into mods, learning about ENBs, investigating whatever major perk overhaul mod is the new rage, etc.

Eventually maybe I'll play, I'm not even sure I will. I just feels like a properly modded Skyrim is part of a PC setup.

"Should Dragons be Macho Man, or Thomas?"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tube wrote: »
    WHY IS THERE STILL NO BEARD GROWTH MOD

Score one for Witcher 3.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Are you on a console or pc? Because there are definitely beard growth mods on the nexus, for both original and special edition.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Are you on a console or pc? Because there are definitely beard growth mods on the nexus, for both original and special edition.

He's asked twice in the G&T thread and gotten answers both times!

Anyway, Tube, if you want the mod experience to be easy, look up Wabbajack:

https://www.wabbajack.org/

Someone else handles building the list, you just pick one you like and hit go (mostly).

• Options
    edited January 2020

Feel free to hit up me or @Synthesis - I've been helping him out in PM and he's recently gone through most of the steps. Meanwhile I've gone full on crazy and started making compatibility patches: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30885

My list is something absurd (like 400+ plugins out of a theoretical 250) so yeah, trust me - I know ALL about playing "mod Skyrim" instead of playing Skyrim.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Feel free to hit up me or Madican - I've been helping him out in PM and he's recently gone through most of the steps. Meanwhile I've gone full on crazy and started making compatibility patches: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30885

My list is something absurd (like 400+ plugins out of a theoretical 250) so yeah, trust me - I know ALL about playing "mod Skyrim" instead of playing Skyrim.

?

???

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Sorry, I'm an idiot and I have no idea how my brain did that? Probably just read a post in another thread.

@Synthesis is who I meant.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Feel free to hit up me or @Synthesis - I've been helping him out in PM and he's recently gone through most of the steps. Meanwhile I've gone full on crazy and started making compatibility patches: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30885

Appreciate it, I may need some input because obviously I'm not installing enough mods. I haven't had a single crash yet (knock on wood). Might have something to do with Vortex detecting some conflicts ahead of time so I resolve them before the crash and that I'm using Wrye Bash and LOOT from square one. Or I don't have enough mods.

Think I've got the ENB stuff figured out, got some nice flora, grass, trees, and weather mods. Spell Research looks like a fun hook for a new playthru and there's a sweet new player home I found that matches nicely with a mage.

• Options
    I cannot find a beard growth mod for special edition

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Appreciate it, I may need some input because obviously I'm not installing enough mods. I haven't had a single crash yet (knock on wood). Might have something to do with Vortex detecting some conflicts ahead of time so I resolve them before the crash and that I'm using Wrye Bash and LOOT from square one. Or I don't have enough mods.

Think I've got the ENB stuff figured out, got some nice flora, grass, trees, and weather mods. Spell Research looks like a fun hook for a new playthru and there's a sweet new player home I found that matches nicely with a mage.

To uselessly lay out my modding resume (I don't remember the last time I posted in SE++).

Having actually started playing the game after some 20 hours of just repeatedly error-checking, mod testing, etc., (I can't really give a useful "I'm x days in," because I installed a dynamic time scale mode that makes days much longer and works with resting/eating needs as well as weather, but I've done most of what you can do in Whiterun), my recent big endeavors have been DynDOLOD (a system-taxing detail at levels of distance mod that is visually stunning, and has a slavish following, but easily one of the most complicated mods popularly installed), and JK's Skyrim (a suite of city overhauls that substantially changes each of the major walled holds in the province, hopefully for the better). That was installed on top of Skyrim Floral Overhaul (my preferred tree/plant/whatever solution--having more than one is fine outside of DynDOLOD, where it'll fuck up how the simple distance models of trees are presented), Vivid Weathers (In the LE I used Climates of Tamriel, which I'm sure is still good, but I wanted something a bit simpler that ran naively with Frostfall, a exposure/weather survival mod), and the usual 4K landscape overhauls (there are many flavors to chose from--I went with "still broken up paths, but less ugly and more green than brown"). I also used a new female and male bodies, which I mentioned in the actual ES thread, along with Immersive Armors to better equipment diversity (formatted for said bodies). It's nice to see General Tulius, Legate Rikke, or the King in Windhelm not dressed like common officers or infantry in their respective armies. Also lots of NPC replacers, which in this context means face replacers, to mitigate the whole "Oblivion face" issue as thoroughly as possible.

I originally gave up JK's Skyrim and settled for Great Cities (which I thought was more necessary, as it focuses specifically on the hamlets, towns, and villages in the "Overworld"), and JK's Skyrim was brutal on performance, but after extensive adjustments in ENB, I've encountered very little change in FPS. :confused: I'm not sure why, but that's probably a good thing (and it means going into each major hold is sort of a new experience). However, it was not necessarily easy to get working with a major lighting overhaul, much less two (I use Realistic Lighting Overhaul for exterior environments, and Enhanced Lighting and FX for interior environments, on the basis that they each do one area better than the other), since referencing the same lighting objects caused hard crashes. That was resolved by disabling all of JK's Skyrim's new lighting fixtures, which is familiar territory, since I had to disable all of ELFX's player home lighting fixtures since I uniformly replace every player home with a better replacement (and while that doesn't lead to crashes, it does lead to strange errors, i.e. smoke rising out of an empty spot on the floor or lighting where it shouldn't be).

I don't use any mods that change existing spells, or the experiencing gaining system, unlike @Jragghen who is a firm advocate of them. Instead, I have pretty extensive overhauls of armor (not even changing them, so much as simply labeling them usefully) and weapons (I don't really like any of the games' original arsenal, so I use Weapons of the Third Era, which was a mainstay of the original game, along with stuff like Unique Uniques that make the games' own arsenal more distinctive). I used to have pretty inevitable "CTD over time"--playing for an hour or so would mean, inevitably, the next time I went into the overworld I'd have a CTD, which restarting the game cleared up. However, disabling a risky but potentially-performance-boosting feature in ENB seemed of fix this (though many other settings in ENB do help with performance, even without the suite's expected visual flourish). I wonder if JK's Skyrim will come back to bite me in the ass at some point, but Solitude's town square still had reasonable good performance during the execution scene.

I don't use Vortex, but Mod Organizer 2 (which I picked up for FO4, after I refused to updated Nexus Mod Manager when they shifted over to mandatory virtual installations). That being said, I was a big advocate for NMM's convenience for years, and I'd probably use Vortex if I hadn't had issues getting the Bodyslide/Outfit Studio tool suite to load in it, and if it presented more information about mod priority and file conflicts. Vortex is probably good enough for 90% or more of users who just one a few dozen landscape, armor, NPC and magic overhaul mods, and can't be bothered to futz around with DynDOLOD or FNIS (another silly-sounding mod that overhauls animations). So I couldn't really tell you much about Vortex, so much as specific mods. My Wyre BASH needs are limited to loading list for the armor and weapons I've downloaded (again, I don't really like the default weapons, so with that, NPCs will use and drop my better replacements).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I cannot find a beard growth mod for special edition

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/26363/?tab=description

I think last time it was confirmed that it could be converted from LE, but hadn't been uploaded.