As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    My big problem with power stance/dual wield in any Dark Souls game is that eliminates the possibility of a shield.

But shields in 2 are terrible so that's fine

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    1 is the one DS I've felt like I really need a shield in, and that's probably due to lack of experience at the time. 2 I did power stance with medium roll and 3 is all about that fast roll, but I did use shield early game.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What weapon type do clubs fall under in that spreadsheet?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    My big problem with power stance/dual wield in any Dark Souls game is that eliminates the possibility of a shield.

Shields in 2 work quite well and it's quite easy to get good ones, too.

Now in 3 on the other hand, even I, shield turtle extraordinaire, was forced to rely 90% on rolling because shields and armor did nothing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    What weapon type do clubs fall under in that spreadsheet?

Hammers I believe

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Now in 3 on the other hand, even I, shield turtle extraordinaire, was forced to rely 90% on rolling because shields and armor did nothing.

I don't like the sound of this.

But yeah, I made shields work just fine in 2. And 1.

This is part of my issue with Bloodborne, to be honest. I'm kinda sorta totally shitty-horrible at "melee only, dodge roll all day" Souls-like play. I've only ever been able to play them as "mage/pyro/sword and shield" combo builds. Bloodborne is something totally alien to any way I play games, which sort of explains why I only just beat the Blood-starved Beast.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'd definitely recommend picking the priest that starts with a mace. It destroys the first half of the game. The character I made for Scholar is still using it and I just got to the DLC.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    oh man nice vid!

I seriously can't see me replaying DkSouls 1. BB, DkS2 and 3 I've replayed multiple times but man just so many areas I do not want to revisit in DkS1. Sen's, Anor Londo catwalks, stupid Crystal Cave invisible bridges and the Depths just ugh.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I beat an invader for the first time!

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Was it one of the NPCs or an actual human bean?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Was it one of the NPCs or an actual human bean?
    Actual human, killed plenty of the NPC invaders.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

This is part of my issue with Bloodborne, to be honest. I'm kinda sorta totally shitty-horrible at "melee only, dodge roll all day" Souls-like play. I've only ever been able to play them as "mage/pyro/sword and shield" combo builds. Bloodborne is something totally alien to any way I play games, which sort of explains why I only just beat the Blood-starved Beast.

3 is absolutely trying to be Bloodborne, to its detriment.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

3 is absolutely trying to be Bloodborne, to its detriment.

+1

3 is Bloodborne without the rally mechanic that makes Bloodborne work.

• Options
    It also has the Dark Souls player movement- slow and deliberate, while the enemies are Bloodborne-style hyper manic and aggressive.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I loved 3's pace. It isn't full Bloodborne.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I loved 3's pace. It isn't full Bloodborne.

Shields actually working to negate damage is a pretty huge difference between the two. Bloodborne is aggravatingly designed to try and force the player into the rally system by having loads of enemy attacks that trade damage very easily, whereas DS3 lets you control a fight far better with shields.

Even if the end damage to the player is about the same (taking a big chunk of damage and recovering most of it via Rally versus taking chip damage from a couple hits you intentionally blocked), DS3 is hugely less counterintuitive for me. There's just no part of "take the damage early so you can attack and get it back quickly for some reason" that makes any kind of instinctive sense to me, and the Souls games teaching players to avoid second or third hits at all costs also runs directly against the rally system. For me, having those shields makes for a much more interesting combat system since it creates additional combat approaches besides simply attacking or dodging.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I've just got DS1 Remastered on the Switch and I have to say something is off about the sound in it. It feels like it might be at a lower quality bitrate, but I'm not sure. It's different enough to stand out though.

I've played several hundred hours on PC though, so any slight change is going to sound pretty severe I suppose.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    My wife can't get in to DS1, she's tried a few times. I really wanted to see her bash her head against Sens :(

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    I just beat DS1 for the first time. Previously I stopped at 4 kings after killing Manus and Artorias but never got back to it because those two were really difficult at the time. The rest of the game is such a disappointment compared to the first part and the DLC bosses. Don't think I missed much not finishing it the first time. Bed of Chaos was just bullshit though.

That said the Remaster really helped out so it might have been different in the original PC port. So much easier reading enemies moves with a consistent frame rate. It felt almost like a different game.

Now I'm debating a DS3 or a Scholar run. Beaten 2 and Scholar before but DS3 didn't click when it came out. Think I got to the dancer but I'm not 100% sure.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The real flaw in DS3 is that the Bone Fist from DS2 wasnt carried over, and i am still deeply salty over this.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bed of Chaos is straight bullshit. Using this method makes it much less of a hassle - spoilered for spoilers and those that don't want to know.

^^ once figured out, makes BoC take bugger all time and gets you done with that shit area.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    On the Bloodborne and DS3 discussion, I stuck with DS3 for the plat and because I loved it. Now I’m playing Bloodborne for the first time, I’m three bosses in and loving it.

So, you can’t really go wrong with either, in this humble ashen hunter’s opinion.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I think that Dark Souls 3 is the worst of the four and it was actively disappointing to me.

I played it for 239 hours and also platinumed it. Everything is relative.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    On the Bloodborne and DS3 discussion, I stuck with DS3 for the plat and because I loved it. Now I’m playing Bloodborne for the first time, I’m three bosses in and loving it.

So, you can’t really go wrong with either, in this humble ashen hunter’s opinion.

They are both excellent games but I was hoping for more Dark Souls 3 and less dark souls 1/Bloodborne crossover expansion pack.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by the outspoken DS2 fandom here--that is the opposite of what I have seen elsewhere on the net. Is literally all of the good content in the DLC? Because the main game was by far the worst of the three, IMO.

(Disclaimer: Have not played the DLC)

• Options
    I always specify that Dark Souls 2 Scholar is my favorite game of the series for that very reason, yes. I didn't mind DS2 vanilla, but the compiled content/new content/changes in Scholar of the First Sin elevate it immensely.

• Options
    Yeah I DS2 vanilla was alright when I played it. Scholar however made it my favorite DS

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    As far as I know, most of the fandom came back around on DS2.

The DLCs greatly improved the lore and gave it some strong DS1-style area design to lean on, it plays better on replays (and gives the most reason for them, with weapon variety, build variety, and NG+ changes), and once you know wtf is going on with agility you usually quit blaming 'bad hitboxes' for getting whacked in the face.

I was in a rage half the time during my first playthrough, though, because it loves to ambush you with bullshit.

Overall, DS2: SotFS is probably my favorite complete package Souls or Soulslike.

DS3, on the other hand, is easily my favorite Souls or Soulslike for gameplay, though I haven't played Bloodborne yet. I'd put it handily above DS1,DS2, DeS, Ashen, Nioh, Surge, LotF...

You can't park behind a shield and take a nap, but DS1 is pretty much the only game that let you do that out of all of them.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I beat DS2 and didn't really like it. I tried Scholar and got bored right when I got to the first DLC. I should give it another shot, but...it's just so bad in comparison to the others.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really couldn't care less what the DS2 DLC adds, because I still have to put up with all the other garbage in DS2. It's the only one of the lot that I almost dropped several times because it has you jump through so many hoops of flaming bullshit that I just didn't care anymore.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by the outspoken DS2 fandom here--that is the opposite of what I have seen elsewhere on the net. Is literally all of the good content in the DLC? Because the main game was by far the worst of the three, IMO.

(Disclaimer: Have not played the DLC)

You say "Of the three" instead of "Of the four" and I think that's the problem. :)

I liked Dark Souls 2, but I think of it as more a sequel to / refinement of Demon's Souls than a sequel to Dark Souls.

DS2 Scholar was also a pretty nice change in a lot of ways. And Fume Knight from the DLC is my absolute favorite example of the "this boss is bullshit! -> wait, I think I see what he's doing -> OK, I have a plan, now I just need to work on execution -> victory" gameplay loop in the series.

• Options
    I'm surprised I hadn't heard about the Falconer run cycle. It seems bugged and it looks kinda hilarious.

• Options
    I think I would've really enjoyed the Shrine of Amana if I had the rusted iron ring or if the water was just shallow. Like, there's lot's of interesting decision making with how you use line of sight to divide and approach targets, and which targets you prioritize, and it's coupled with a fun amount of
    but going so slow means the time between making those decisions was just too long.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I just had a bow and proceeded to snipe the bastard mages.

That or do coop so someone else can eat the magic bolts.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Finally went back to play SotFS. I'm enjoying it, though some things are notably painful in areas that DS3 did better.

Got to, and beat, Fume Knight for the first time today! Took him out with the Puzzle Stone Sword and the Blossom Shield. Did it solo, took around 6 tries. What a fun boss! Easily the most enjoyable fight I've had in DS2 so far. I can see how it inspired a lot of the brilliant DS3 bosses.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Finally went back to play SotFS. I'm enjoying it, though some things are notably painful in areas that DS3 did better.

Got to, and beat, Fume Knight for the first time today! Took him out with the Puzzle Stone Sword and the Blossom Shield. Did it solo, took around 6 tries. What a fun boss! Easily the most enjoyable fight I've had in DS2 so far. I can see how it inspired a lot of the brilliant DS3 bosses.

Considering that I hate the fume knight and everything about him... I can see how it inspired a lot of the DS3 bosses as well. :biggrin:

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am planning to play scholar after my full DLC run of 3

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I don't really get why Fume is so hated and feared. He hits hard, but most of his attacks are easily dodged once you learn the delay times on the ultra greatsword swings. His big attacks in the heat up 2nd half phase are slow, telegraphed, and punishable.

I found him much easier than, say, Champion Gundyr or Orn & Smough. Like with those, you have to switch to a fast weapon and manage your stamina. But Fume Knight is much more fair.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
This discussion has been closed.