As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    The defrosted courtyard in Eleum Loyce with like 47 dudes shooting crystals at you while others poke your ass with ice rapiers is the worst.

The ivory king dlc wasn’t that bad till you did the gauntlet with the reindeer assholes .

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Man, if I didn't like the story of DS2, I'm not sure I'd ever actually finish runs.

The Watcher/Defender->Nashandra->Aldia gauntlet is just the worst.

An obnoxious multi-boss and two joke bosses.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The real crime of Ivory King is that the Bone Fist is buried realtively deep in it.

The greater crime of DS3 is that the bone fist does not even exist. Gimme back my PUNCH PRINCESS, Dark Souls!

(Mind, i remember just ripping up DS3 in general via Pyromancy + the Astora Straight Sword you can get super early, and do... something so it doesnt scale, justh as crazy good damage).

At some point i need to get the second dlc, figure out a proper solid pyromancy build, and just goto town on the game from start till finish.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The real crime of Ivory King is that the Bone Fist is buried realtively deep in it.

The greater crime of DS3 is that the bone fist does not even exist. Gimme back my PUNCH PRINCESS, Dark Souls!

(Mind, i remember just ripping up DS3 in general via Pyromancy + the Astora Straight Sword you can get super early, and do... something so it doesnt scale, justh as crazy good damage).

At some point i need to get the second dlc, figure out a proper solid pyromancy build, and just goto town on the game from start till finish.

I'm playing Pyro-Mage-Sword-and-Board Jack of all Trades right now (which is my preferred way of playing Dark Souls), and it's generally lots of fun. I got the fire ball that leaves a puddle of magma recently, and I used in on the invading Creighton and just burned him where he stood, which felt good after I died to him twice. Fuck that guy.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm playing Pyro-Mage-Sword-and-Board Jack of all Trades right now (which is my preferred way of playing Dark Souls), and it's generally lots of fun. I got the fire ball that leaves a puddle of magma recently, and I used in on the invading Creighton and just burned him where he stood, which felt good after I died to him twice. Fuck that guy.

Because of Monster Hunter i've basically NEVER EVER used a shield in Dark Souls. Well, as a shield. I'll wear em for enchantment bonuses or whatever, or maybe for parrying, but otherwise? Screw that noise!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I like the aesthetic of sword-and-board, even when the sword is a greatsword or an ultra. But in DS1 and DS2 I mostly end up 2hing with stamina or item find shield on my back because it's always better.

In DS3, some weapons feel better 1h even if you're dodging perfectly and pumping out entire stamina bars of damage, which I appreciate.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    DS3 has some quite solid fist weapons. Demon Fist in particular is brutal (mix with Pontiff Eyes for lols on the Art), and the Dark Hand is wicked strong in the first half of the game if you cheese it early.

The Crow DLC weapons are also top-notch.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Fuck me, somehow I'd erased the Capra Denon from my memory. I haven't even managed to get away from the door yet before I get murdered

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Fuck me, somehow I'd erased the Capra Denon from my memory. I haven't even managed to get away from the door yet before I get murdered

As it should be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    I like the aesthetic of sword-and-board, even when the sword is a greatsword or an ultra. But in DS1 and DS2 I mostly end up 2hing with stamina or item find shield on my back because it's always better.

In DS3, some weapons feel better 1h even if you're dodging perfectly and pumping out entire stamina bars of damage, which I appreciate.

Honestly, I don't go anywhere I don't know without my shield raised, and I use one a lot when I'm figuring out how new folks attack. This is because (A) I'm somewhat slow on the dodge, and even if I wasn't I have a habit of dodging right into attacks both new and old and (B) if I'm dodging I can't pay attention to what the new bad guy is doing.

I've used the Claymore almost exclusively in these games, enchanted to key off of intelligence, along with a medium shield with 100% block.

This also happens to be why I'm worse at Bloodborne; it takes me longer to learn new bad guys because I'm having to dodge while learning, and even afterward I commonly dodge in the same direction or back away from attacks because I'm not really repositioning as much as trying to get distance, get away, runrunrunpanic.

The fact that I beat DS1 & 2 might have been a happy accident, but I also really love these games, and I'll be damned if I stop now. :wink:

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I played DS3 again not long ago freshly from the start, this time with the DLC, and used a shield properly for the first time. It greatly increased my survivability and happiness on bosses and everywhere. The very first time I played I didn't understand how shields worked, so they mostly didn't help me, and so I just learned to dodge as much as I could and eventually went with pyromancy and beat the game that way.

This time I got a nice 100% physical shield with good stability and kept it upgraded and had just enough STR for that shield and went INT/DEX to play around with weapons and sorcery and had a good old time beating the game again. My experience going into the 2nd run no doubt helped (I also played Sekiro in between), but I really feel like that shield and learning to block well really helped on a lot of the bosses and harder enemies. I started a NG+ game and respecced to pyro, because hot damn pyro is a lot of fun (sorry sorcery) and I decided to keep my shield, unlike my first pyro run. I just don't want to give it up when meleeing. It's addictive.

• Options
    I really hope Elden Ring ends up feeling like DS3 instead of Bloodborne or Sekiro or 2.

I'd take 'weird hybrid of Sekiro and DS3', I guess, since Sekiro had cool stuff even if I overall don't care for it.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Torches in DS2 are maybe my favorite part of it. Let me leave a mark on the world and see where I've been.

I ran The Gutter last night, and acting as if I were slowly pushing against the darkness was a ton of fun.

• Options
    The background sounds of Gutter and Black Gulch creep me out, so I just sprint through at full speed hitting the highlights: Shard, branch, bonfire, branch, bonfire, Lucatiel, Soul+Key, dark guy, bonfire, Rotten.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh god, I forgot how much I hate fighting the chariot at the appropriate level without poison arrow cheese.

awful run back, skeleton spam, jank horse, it's not great

Kamar on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    TBH, the easiest Dark Souls is probably the one that might have the most active MP. Summoning a coop partner just makes bosses a lot easier. I mean, I was barely able to find a coop partner in DkS Switch and Bloodborne but overleveled A LOT in Dark Souls 2 and 3 PC because they had more active communities.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    On the other hand, DS2's active community means that you might get invaded a lot, probably by substantially more skilled players who are still trolling around. There's no Hollow / Unembered protections from invasions in that game.

That wasn't my experience too much last time I played it, but I intentionally boosted my Soul Memory way high early (to buy the butterfly outfit), which cut off most player interactions after about 1/3 of the game.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Having said that be aware that no amount of overleveling will make Sen's/that stupid walkway in Anor Londo/Shrine of Amana/Ludwig easier. Well, that's where I find the fun in Souls...overcoming impossible odds.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thankfully DS2 NG has limited cracked red eye orbs and no dedicated red eye orb till NG+.

This doesn't stop hackers from making infinite cracked orbs but it did not appear that common.

As someone who almost never plays NG+ this worked out great for me.

Plus you don't miss out on NPC invasions for stuff you'd otherwise miss in 1 or 3.

• Options
    I have to say, I've never liked being invaded by other players at all. The first thing I do when I kill a boss in DS3 and get embered is jump off the cliff outside Firelink and kill myself to get rid of it. I mostly sold looted embers for cash (very nice early in the game) and only actually used them for the health buff when fighting Gael after I had gotten consistently good enough to not waste them.

• Options
    I just play offline and summon NPCs when I need to.

I hate player invasions.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Invasions don't really bug me. It definitely helps that I can kill most invaders no sweat, but also that dying barely bothers me at this point unless it happened for a dumb reason.

You can always just run back to where you were, ignoring every enemy. And then immediately menu quit out if you can't lose them somewhere else.

Kamar on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I play Souls games exclusively offline and go out of my way to prevent invasions.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I play online because I enjoy seeing messages, and leaving mine sometimes. I don't ever really summon anyone, rarely I'll put up my sign by bosses I enjoy killing. Like the Deacons when I was using whip plus fire weapon.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I tend to play online and human / embered / whatever, and most invaders aren't too bad. I've been fighting an invader, accidentally backed into something else and caught aggro, and had the invader immediately back off and go sit down while I fought whatever just jumped me. Actually, the very first time I was invaded was in Demon's Souls and the guy realized that I was desperately trying to arrow a dragon to death and he went and jumped off a very high place.

The remastered DS1, on the other hand... I put up with two or three people miraculously teleporting behind me and backstabbing me with greatswords before I said "screw it" and went offline unless I deliberately wanted to do co-op.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i ran into an invader in ashes of ariandel and he was a smug fucker

i was using the spiked mace and i could tell he wasn't taking me seriously at all. one of those "lol ultra weapons, just roll backstab" dudes. he kind of just stood around outside my range like he was taunting

i played it patient just throwing out attacks to try and bait him, being super conservative with stamina

i wound up catching the fucker sleeping, clipped him with an R1, gave him the ol' R1-L2-R1, and obliterated him from the face of the earth

• Options
    I like invasions They can be frustrating but any kind of pvp can be when the reads aren’t going your way. That’s just competition .

• Options
    the thing that tilts me is the asshole gestures

i'm fine with losing right up until i get one of those

it's a real stupid thing to get mad about but i can't not do it

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I've always hated the invasions, but I love everything else about the online system. I also feel like a complete dud whenever I get invaded, and at least a few times I've been hit by hackers, so I try avoid them as much as possible.

• Options
    I'll be honest, I hate PvP in all games, and it's partially because I'm not actually interested in competitive play, partially because when I do compete in anything I am both a sore winner and a sore loser, and finally, for Dark Souls in specific, I prefer being able to more or less plan around what I know will happen, and invasions aren't able to be planned for, so they ruin the specific way I enjoy playing this specific series.

But, like, I don't even enjoy fighting games. Playing one with someone else I even like being around, I can get around 30 minutes of fun every . . . 6-12 months or so.

I'm just straight not interested in people.

• Options
    I actually have a history of enjoying PvP in a lot of games. MMO's and online shooters like TF2 in the past and more recently Mechwarrior Online.

But I'm just not interested in it for Dark Souls games. I've seen videos and am aware of the meta and I guess it's just not what I'm here for, so to speak.

I do play online though, I'm fine with the messages and bloodstains and the little ghosts of other players running around. It's neat. I don't ever summon or get summoned though. I like the online stuff purely passively.

I've only ever even summoned an NPC for one fight ever. Summoning Gael for Sister Friede after she whipped my ass a whole lot first, hah

• Options
    I hate being invaded. Like it's an objectively bad thing. Outside of rare edge cases, it's never beneficial and almost always at least sort of harmful.

But, I love the potential of being invaded. It adds to the sense of danger, especially if you summon (DS3 greatly increases chance of invasion per active summon, including NPCs). It makes you never want to tarry too long. And when an invasion happens, I usually expect to die - I'm kitted for PvE but they're out for player blood.

That makes me desperate. It's an adrenaline rush, at least to run back to a bonfire for easy recovery, possibly to summon help. And when the fight isn't lopsided, it feels really important to stave them off.

But, that's a false feeling. There's very rarely any important consequences to getting shanked.

Still, I love these games for the tension, and it's much lighter without invasions. I rarely invade - only if it seems faster than grinding a Covenant - as I don't care about competitive play, about winning against a player. I care about survival, and after a point, that fear is mostly provided by people alone.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I played every single Soulsborne game offline because few things yank me out of the setting better than assholes with nothing to lose fucking with other player's game or hackers just breaking shit. Congratulations, you built a character to just fuck with other characters trying to enjoy the game! Seems like a lot of fun, you enjoy that way the fuck over somewhere else with people who have some kind of patience for that garbage.

Not to mention the actual rewards of invasions are pretty much nil outside achievement stuff, and every one of the Soulsborne games is too broken in some way for the PvP to really be worth much.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I view invasions in a Hellboyish, "this is gonna suck" funny way. I typically don't lose much progress, it's an element of danger, and sometimes I win, in which case you feel like a vengeful god.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i ran into an invader in ashes of ariandel and he was a smug fucker

i was using the spiked mace and i could tell he wasn't taking me seriously at all. one of those "lol ultra weapons, just roll backstab" dudes. he kind of just stood around outside my range like he was taunting

i played it patient just throwing out attacks to try and bait him, being super conservative with stamina

i wound up catching the fucker sleeping, clipped him with an R1, gave him the ol' R1-L2-R1, and obliterated him from the face of the earth

Shit like that is always grand.

One of my favourite things is SURPRISE PYROMANCER builds - where i'm fighting and acting like normal until i decide it's time, and suddenly PYROMANCY GLOVES OUT, BOYS! *chaos fireball to someone's face*.

This works surprisingly well in practice!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I have occasionally had bad hacked invasions, but most of them had jokey costumes and the like, so I didn't mind it was just a "welp" moment.

• Options
    This is it. NG+7, Journey 8, Dark Souls 3 at maximum difficulty without self-imposed challenges. SL 218.

Vordt down. Had a couple careless deaths in the High Wall. Running 30% with Demon Fists, so minimal defense with neither block nor parry. 2-3 hits from anything serious is death.

Before long I'm going to have to switch back to 70% with Havel's or the like. Level up is too expensive now; I can't expect to afford it until at least halfway through.

Doing a complete run through each area, too, unlike most preceding NG+ which were boss runs almost exclusively with no optionals.

It's intense!

• Options
    i've been using straight swords a little bit in DS3, as i've always snubbed them for being too good and basic

now that I spent some more time with them, i gotta say, i was completely right, these things are basically busted, and if you want to steamroll the game you just need to throw one of these on with like, the astora greatsword for hyper armor cheese

• Options
    i've been using straight swords a little bit in DS3, as i've always snubbed them for being too good and basic

now that I spent some more time with them, i gotta say, i was completely right, these things are basically busted, and if you want to steamroll the game you just need to throw one of these on with like, the astora greatsword for hyper armor cheese

If a weapon is both easy to use and widely effective in a broad range of situations it’s going to be amazing. Even apples to real life , though I think it was spears in real life.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah that's pretty much been the case since day 1. It was worse before the buffs, honestly - PvP was nothing but straight swords and BKG. R1 spam all day erry day,

This discussion has been closed.