The Reunited [Souls] Thread

14445464749

Posts

  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Bloodborne Cut Content - The Blood Minister - Unused Dialogue and Character 10:59

    5myiokloks5d.png
    KarozReynoldsKamarBahamutZERO
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Started my DS3 SL1 run, off to a clean start.

    My very first Thrall dropped the Thrall Axe, which is 1. One of my favorite weapons 2. Stupidly difficult to farm up 3. Good for SL1 runs.

    Guess that's that settled!

    KarozmrpakufurlionFleur de Alys
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Alright so since we aren't allowed a Soulslike thread *harumph* I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    cB557
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    How does it compare to the first one?

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    How does it compare to the first one?

    Much much better.

    Still has a couple things where feels like BS deaths, but I wasn't hitting guys that were deleting me in 2 swings---except when I sequence broke and went to a more difficult area earlier than I should have.

    Or just using operator (light) armor you have to be a lot more careful.

    The directional parry analyzer is a godsend for parry idiots like me.

    It's actually cool to see the statistical breakdown of deaths and playtime per area and boss compared to the Surge 2 community average.

    Karoz on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    How does it compare to the first one?

    Much much better.

    Still has a couple things where feels like BS deaths, but I wasn't hitting guys that were deleting me in 2 swings---except when I sequence broke and went to a more difficult area earlier than I should have.

    Or just using operator (light) armor you have to be a lot more careful.

    The directional parry analyzer is a godsend for parry idiots like me.

    It's actually cool to see the statistical breakdown of deaths and playtime per area and boss compared to the Surge 2 community average.

    I was impressed with Surge for the most part but the level design left a lot to be desired. The reviews for the second one paint it as not learning very many lessons from their first outing which has made me hesitate. I will probably pick it up at some point but for now I am waiting on Code Vein to drop a bit more in price for my next souls like.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    How does it compare to the first one?

    Much much better.

    Still has a couple things where feels like BS deaths, but I wasn't hitting guys that were deleting me in 2 swings---except when I sequence broke and went to a more difficult area earlier than I should have.

    Or just using operator (light) armor you have to be a lot more careful.

    The directional parry analyzer is a godsend for parry idiots like me.

    It's actually cool to see the statistical breakdown of deaths and playtime per area and boss compared to the Surge 2 community average.

    I was impressed with Surge for the most part but the level design left a lot to be desired. The reviews for the second one paint it as not learning very many lessons from their first outing which has made me hesitate. I will probably pick it up at some point but for now I am waiting on Code Vein to drop a bit more in price for my next souls like.

    Given I didn't play that much but there are some seriously distinct zones than just "wreckage, underground wreckage" which I saw in Surge 1.

    While yes the overall motif is a city there is 5? different ones I can think off the top of my head, all distinct in my mind. Won't share them just because that's spoilers.

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'll just come here to heartily recommend The Surge 2 as a game that does its own thing but probably the best at sticking to the title of "soulslike."

    I enjoyed Nioh more, but damn is Surge 2 solid.

    How does it compare to the first one?

    Much much better.

    Still has a couple things where feels like BS deaths, but I wasn't hitting guys that were deleting me in 2 swings---except when I sequence broke and went to a more difficult area earlier than I should have.

    Or just using operator (light) armor you have to be a lot more careful.

    The directional parry analyzer is a godsend for parry idiots like me.

    It's actually cool to see the statistical breakdown of deaths and playtime per area and boss compared to the Surge 2 community average.

    I was impressed with Surge for the most part but the level design left a lot to be desired. The reviews for the second one paint it as not learning very many lessons from their first outing which has made me hesitate. I will probably pick it up at some point but for now I am waiting on Code Vein to drop a bit more in price for my next souls like.

    Given I didn't play that much but there are some seriously distinct zones than just "wreckage, underground wreckage" which I saw in Surge 1.

    While yes the overall motif is a city there is 5? different ones I can think off the top of my head, all distinct in my mind. Won't share them just because that's spoilers.

    I generally liked the way The Surge played, but I didn't get that far into it. I was a bit put off by the fact that, after several hours of play, I had gone from one side of a not particularly large building to the other.

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular


    Oh hai Hellpoint, hadn't heard from ya nice scifi/alieny soullikey action in awhile.

    Still interested so back on the wishlist you go.

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 5
    I've still got to get around to finishing Surge 1 and then pick up Surge 2. I didn't drop off 1 out of boredom or anything, just a schedule conflict with someone who had been watching me play through, so I'm looking forward to what I hear is a much-improved sequel.

    At the moment MHW is lighting the Souls part of my brain up, with short dips into my DS3 SL1 run here and there.

    Also, I was planning to hold off on more Code Vein replays until it had its DLC out, but it seems there was a translation issue with the DLC ads and the DLC is actually just, like, brief NG+ level side areas with no real story content? So I might just start replaying and when the DLC is all out I can grab it and do it on finished characters.

    Kamar on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The Surge 2 is probably the best non-From soulslike I've played.

    steam_sig.png
    KarozKamar
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 5
    Aistan wrote: »
    The Surge 2 is probably the best non-From soulslike I've played.

    Sounds good! Right now Code Vein is up there, I put it in the cluster with actual Soulsborne games.

    It's nice to see games finally catching up.

    Kamar on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Some of you may have seen this before, but this shit is very cool, a website with a 3D level viewer in your browser and maps for a bunch of games



    https://noclip.website/#dksiv/dks1;ShareData=AX}[email protected]/f9nIP^V^BK/60!lBUYsHDUukbR=S[(~UZ]uFULYk_9Z?rg+^ <-dark souls 1 collision maps all loaded at once in their proper relative coordinates so they connect up

    https://noclip.website/#dksiv/dks2;ShareData=ABqDtUh[?+UH!c19ciZP=S}[email protected]]WO$-]UER4j9pCOMUpV;(V[ <- likewise for dark souls 2

    BahamutZERO.gif
    KoopahTroopahFleur de Alys
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I feel mightier than ever, having one-shot the fiercest foe of all on my SL1 run: Holy Knight Hodrick.

    I two-handed my large leather shield and shoved that fucker right off the cliff.

    KarozfurlionmrpakuFleur de Alys
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Huh, went through my first expected hurdle with zero trouble, Abyss Watchers down on the second pull.

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    For all the grief I give Dark Souls 3, Abyss Watchers is still one of my favorite fights for summoning adds and having adds fight for you.

    Getting a serious Bloodborne vibe (I know it was more about Artorias but whatevs) didn't hurt either.

  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How to make a "Consumable" Only Build in Dark Souls 3 26:31

    5myiokloks5d.png
    ReynoldscB557Rollsavager
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    What is the LOWEST ABSORPTION POSSIBLE? -DS3 8:18

    5myiokloks5d.png
    cB557KarozAistanBlackDragon480
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular


    My magic build getting the moonlight greatsword in bloodborne

    KalnaurcB557KoopahTroopahFleur de AlysPeas
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Man I just started replaying Ds3 after two years as a character named Faith only to be invaded by Havesomefaith in Irithyll. What are the odds? 100% I guess.

    5myiokloks5d.png
    Reynolds3clipseKoopahTroopahButtersFleur de Alys
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Man I've played through Sekiro and dancer in DS3 still fucks me up so badly. How many moves did Miyazaki want, all of them apparently. Also Irithyll dungeon still the worst 2020, I forgot about the screaming jump scares and they got me real good

    Peas on
    5myiokloks5d.png
    ReynoldsFleur de Alys
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Bloodborne Skip to Forbidden Woods (Current Patch) 2:18

    5myiokloks5d.png
    ReynoldsKarozKoopahTroopahKamarcB557
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Well that's uh, easily replicated lol.

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    ReynoldsPeas
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    DS3 most useless feature ᵇᵘᵗ ᴵ ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰᵗ ᶦᵗ ʷᵃˢ ᵏᶦⁿᵈᵃ ⁿᵉᵃᵗ ˢᵒ ʰᵉʳᵉ ʷᵉ ᵍᵒ ᴵ ᵍᵘᵉˢˢ 5:25

    5myiokloks5d.png
    KarozcB557TheStigBlackDragon4803clipse
  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    Doing the Ringed City for the first time in DS3. I beat the other DLC but I haven't kindled the first fire yet and I have all the boss bits to do so. What should I do first? Or does it matter?

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Doing the Ringed City for the first time in DS3. I beat the other DLC but I haven't kindled the first fire yet and I have all the boss bits to do so. What should I do first? Or does it matter?

    What do you mean by boss bits?

    You've already beaten the other DLC so that's the only real story hooks in this one other than dark souls 1 so it should not matter what you do IIRC.

  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    Doing the Ringed City for the first time in DS3. I beat the other DLC but I haven't kindled the first fire yet and I have all the boss bits to do so. What should I do first? Or does it matter?

    What do you mean by boss bits?

    You've already beaten the other DLC so that's the only real story hooks in this one other than dark souls 1 so it should not matter what you do IIRC.

    Boss bits: They're ashes after killing them. I put them on the throne. Now the Firekeeper wants me to light the first flame or whatever.

    As I understand it there is a different End boss if you go through the Ringed City. So if there is I wanted to make sure that happens if I can.

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    Doing the Ringed City for the first time in DS3. I beat the other DLC but I haven't kindled the first fire yet and I have all the boss bits to do so. What should I do first? Or does it matter?

    What do you mean by boss bits?

    You've already beaten the other DLC so that's the only real story hooks in this one other than dark souls 1 so it should not matter what you do IIRC.

    Boss bits: They're ashes after killing them. I put them on the throne. Now the Firekeeper wants me to light the first flame or whatever.

    As I understand it there is a different End boss if you go through the Ringed City. So if there is I wanted to make sure that happens if I can.

    I...don't believe so?

    The DLC goes off and does its own thing story wise IIRC.

    It's...weirdly removed from the main game.

    KalnaurXerinkDescendant X
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The two dlcs have a connected final story thing for when you've finished both, but they don't affect the main game at all no.

    steam_sig.png
    Kalnaur
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    boy the lore in DS3 seems really spotty and incomplete even by fromsoft standards

    i trust the DLC will add in some context to make me care about the various disparate threads of story they've established




    oh no

    Karoz
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Even mechanically the dlc ends up averaging out to just ok, because while you've got the best fight in the series with the final boss of Ringed City, you've also got one of the worst in the series with the final boss of Ashes of Ariandel.

    steam_sig.png
    Karoz
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Aistan wrote: »
    Even mechanically the dlc ends up averaging out to just ok, because while you've got the best fight in the series with the final boss of Ringed City, you've also got one of the worst in the series with the final boss of Ashes of Ariandel.

    Hm, I think that fight is really hard, and I don't care for it being a gauntlet, but bad?

    Even the middle phase, which as a multi-boss fight I loathe by default, isn't that bad because you can position and stagger them effectively.

    Kamar on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Fights can be bad for many different reasons. Bed of chaos is bad because it's janky and gimmicky. Fume Knight is bad because it's unbalanced and resistant to basically everything a player is likely to have been using up to that point.

    And Freide is bad because it's a three phase boss fight that requires different tactics in each one and you have to start over at phase one each time, making it take so much longer to learn the patterns. It also has a demoralizing effect from "emptied this health bar? Here's another full one to deal with." And it does that twice.

    Plus it inherits the overall Dark Souls 3 problem of having Bloodborne enemies but a Dark Souls player character. Everything wants you to be faster to deal with it but you're still plotzing along at a slower pace.

    Aistan on
    steam_sig.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Eh, the easiest times I've had with the fight were when I was smashing her into paste with ultras.

    I don't really get the speed complaints in DS3. You're plenty fast. Your roll is goofy good in DS3 for a reason.

    ...the hardest times were with greatswords and similar middle-speed weapons, for the record, since they tend to be just slow enough and not-hard-hitting enough that they end up with bad boss matchups.

    Kamar on
    mrpaku
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Aistan wrote: »
    Fights can be bad for many different reasons. Bed of chaos is bad because it's janky and gimmicky. Fume Knight is bad because it's unbalanced and resistant to basically everything a player is likely to have been using up to that point.

    And Freide is bad because it's a three phase boss fight that requires different tactics in each one and you have to start over at phase one each time, making it take so much longer to learn the patterns. It also has a demoralizing effect from "emptied this health bar? Here's another full one to deal with." And it does that twice.

    Plus it inherits the overall Dark Souls 3 problem of having Bloodborne enemies but a Dark Souls player character. Everything wants you to be faster to deal with it but you're still plotzing along at a slower pace.

    If you haven't played it, this is 2/3 of bosses in Sekiro

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Friede is still one of my favorite video game bosses of all time. Even if sometimes it fills me with hate and rage.

    The DLC for DS3 can be played before or after you do the main boss, and it doesn't change anything whichever you choose. It's designed that way so people who pick it up prior to restarting a circuit but after rolling credits can jump right in, or you can do it before getting your first lord ash.

    Story-wise you can think of it as the true ending for the trilogy. Ringed City doesn't vary its ending based on any player choices or actions, and it provides an "out" for literally any of the main endings. It's quite well put-together.

    Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Fights can be bad for many different reasons. Bed of chaos is bad because it's janky and gimmicky. Fume Knight is bad because it's unbalanced and resistant to basically everything a player is likely to have been using up to that point.

    And Freide is bad because it's a three phase boss fight that requires different tactics in each one and you have to start over at phase one each time, making it take so much longer to learn the patterns. It also has a demoralizing effect from "emptied this health bar? Here's another full one to deal with." And it does that twice.

    Plus it inherits the overall Dark Souls 3 problem of having Bloodborne enemies but a Dark Souls player character. Everything wants you to be faster to deal with it but you're still plotzing along at a slower pace.

    If you haven't played it, this is 2/3 of bosses in Sekiro

    Ah, glad I've stayed away then.

    Aistan
  • metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    Sekiro's situation is only partially analogous to the Friede situation, as "health bars" operate very differently in Sekiro. The final main-progression boss is the most akin to what's described, but even then you'll usually be competent enough at that stage of the game to quickly move through the first few phases.

    Bandcamp (I make weird rap music) / PSN: Mugen_Kikaider
    KalnaurBlackDragon4803clipse
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Sekiro's situation is only partially analogous to the Friede situation, as "health bars" operate very differently in Sekiro. The final main-progression boss is the most akin to what's described, but even then you'll usually be competent enough at that stage of the game to quickly move through the first few phases.

    The main thing is Sekiro bosses are kind of a dual health thing. Health loss makes them easier to stagger (and zero health is instant stagger basically), but the real damage is from blocking, parrying, etc. to build that stagger. Doing well you can clear phases with maybe only half HP gone? Also it's built around that, so bosses have clear cues for when to use which defensive option (and a lot of them you can safely dodge and abandon stagger building instead...)

    I gave up on the last boss, but I'd done all the others.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The trigger for me bringing up Sekiro was the requiring different tactics for each phase and always restarting at phase 1 comment. That is totally the Sekiro formula. The biggest difference for me though is that the boss fights in Sekiro, though extremely difficult, are fair with one exception. All but Demon of Hatred have at least one ideal counter to every attack of every phase without the environment fucking you. Many of them also have some sort of shortcut to exploit and pulling that off is very satisfying.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    metaghost
Sign In or Register to comment.