As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The nice thing about being a pyromancer is you can just light aldrich up and he vanishes.

@Kamar - Rooting for you dood. Though, why not use a fire and a deep gem weapon? They get more ar than Raw usually, nad most enemies have a weakness to either (or at least it feels like that). Every bit helps, yeah?

I just did the dancer in ng+, and it was... sad. Black Orb wrecks her something fierce.

Also sad: the invader who invaded me and died to three consecutive Black Flames. i think the secondary kick of the Pyromancer's Parting Flame threw him off - either way, he went splat. I feel kinda bad, given invaders usually have to deal with gank squads, and i'm not that great this game... i do like to give them fair fights!

...mostly. Sometimes i put the Obscuring ring on or white branch myself after i've dropped a seed of the tree of giants. Lets the amusement commence.

You can use Carthus Flame Arc most of the time, and use Resins, Bundles, or Rouge against anything tricky if you're using a raw weapon. Higher damage and you don't have to farm up multiple weapons worth of materials--and you can use as many consumables as they'll sell you, since you're not spending souls on anything else.

edit: Though because I'm an idiot and kept forgetting to restock, I ended up doing Pontiff, Aldrich, and Dancer unembered just using CFA.

Hm, wonder if I should switch to the buffer's best bosskilling friend, sellsword or warden twinblades, once I get the Hunter's Ring? Hard to say whether it's worth two ring slots (Hunter and Carthus Milkring) though...

Oh, apparently Dragonslayer's Axe is a top tier weapon for SL1 runs...ugn, I didn't much care for all axe all day in my DS1 run, but I guess I should at least try it.

double edit: Oops, nevermind, shit, I didn't fight Creighton when I went through before and I've already killed Pontiff so I can't get it.

Kamar on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Right, i totally forgot about Infusions, that makes sense.

Well! Gooooooood luck (Also, cant you get Dragonslayer's axe from just doing sirruses questline, or does the pontiff part fail that?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Right, i totally forgot about Infusions, that makes sense.

Well! Gooooooood luck (Also, cant you get Dragonslayer's axe from just doing sirruses questline, or does the pontiff part fail that?)

yeah, once you clear the boss of a zone no more NPC invasions.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sorry, o meant that I thought it was from you using sirrus's sign to counter Creighton, not from his invasion after that

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sorry, o meant that I thought it was from you using sirrus's sign to counter Creighton, not from his invasion after that

yup, you have to do sirrus' summon on the bridge before creighton will invade you.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Dragonslayer Armour was pretty easy actually.

I went and farmed a flamberge since apparently it's good for certain fights later? Also I can use the profane greatsword but unfortunately it's barely stronger than my longsword...it'll apparently be useful for knockdown/stun spam on certain humanoid encounters, though.

Heavy Millwood Battle Axe should probably be my default at this point, but I don't want to farm chunks for it...

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Okay so I was distracted by PSO2 for a day BUT it's time for Twin Princes starting...now.

edit: After 30 minutes of attempts I got to the second phase...and instantly died. Progress!

Kamar on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Going thru DS I got up to Ornstein and Smough. First go around I killed Ornstein but Super Smough butt slammed me to death. So after a few more deaths and seeing Super Ornstein I thought "Alright, I'll whittle them both down and kill the super version quickly." NOPE, cause the other starts off fresh. After spending two more hours I eventually summoned a player to help me out.

I know the guide says fire helps, but none of the two craters I discovered offer fire stuff and I only had a Lightning Weapon equipped.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Going thru DS I got up to Ornstein and Smough. First go around I killed Ornstein but Super Smough butt slammed me to death. So after a few more deaths and seeing Super Ornstein I thought "Alright, I'll whittle them both down and kill the super version quickly." NOPE, cause the other starts off fresh. After spending two more hours I eventually summoned a player to help me out.

I know the guide says fire helps, but none of the two craters I discovered offer fire stuff and I only had a Lightning Weapon equipped.

Ultimate cheese method is, iirc, (Divine?) Heavy Crossbow.

You can also use Zweihander R2 spam to chain stagger one (or both if you're lucky) of them to death.

The Occult Club you pick up can be of use for damage+stagger too if your weapon just doesn't cut it for whatever reason.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I always like the Occult club.

With this simple piece of wood I will give it the power to kill GODS.

Gods: oh shit. Well, let's just lock it up somewhere in the castle.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Craters?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Craters?

I assume "Crafters", meaning the blacksmiths.

The one who does fire is well off the beaten path.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

You can buy fire resin from the vendor in the sewers. Use it and go after Ornstein first as he's weaker to fire. I also usually summon Solaire to help keep Smough off me in the first phase.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »

You can buy fire resin from the vendor in the sewers. Use it and go after Ornstein first as he's weaker to fire. I also usually summon Solaire to help keep Smough off me in the first phase.

That's a major walk from Anor Londo, though.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    > I only had a Lightning Weapon equipped.

Well that is a real problem. O is highly resistant to lightning and S becomes resistant in his final form.
    A physical damage weapon would make the fight easier compared to lightning.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    > I only had a Lightning Weapon equipped.

Well that is a real problem. O is highly resistant to lightning and S becomes resistant in his final form.
    A physical damage weapon would make the fight easier compared to lightning.

To piggyback on this, I'm pretty sure there is one more very important lightning-resistant boss in the future, being vague here to avoid spoiling anything. Good idea to have a second weapon around.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    If I remember right, demons are hurt most by lightning (and least by physical attacks) and the same with dragons, while fleshy beings like unarmored undead and animals such as the butterfly, gargoyle, and giant wolf are weakest to fire. There are very few bosses in the first game that are weakest to magic damage, and they aren't exactly united under a single type of creature, though they're all found in the fiery demon areas and . . . oh, the gods are usually anywhere from resistant to highly resistant to lightning, but weaker to fire, magic, or both. And I'm counting folks like Ornstein and Pinwheel in the "gods" category, since they clearly aren't humans, and they aren't "giants" as this series has them, so I assume they're lesser lords of some kind.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    dumb meta questions. Is the meta for all games 120? If I overlevel (not interested in PVP) will I not get any summons at all? Will I not be able to be summoned into any game at all?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    dumb meta questions. Is the meta for all games 120? If I overlevel (not interested in PVP) will I not get any summons at all? Will I not be able to be summoned into any game at all?

You'll get significantly fewer outside of the meta, but you won't be completely alone.

Different summons have different standards for how they group people in 3, based on relative SL, weapon upgrade, etc. I'm not sure how it works in 1. And 2 has Soul Memory (grouping based on how many souls you've ever earned total instead of your level) and a 150 meta (you can match based on level for BoB duels).

• Options
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    HeraldS wrote: »

That's a major walk from Anor Londo, though.

Indeed, which is why now I always purchase 10 fire resins and 20 poison arrows after I defeat the Capra Demon and open up the shortcut back to the shrine. If I don't have enough souls at that time I instead purchase 10-20 dung pies so I can kill the Stray Demon and then buy the resin and arrows for Anor Londo.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Thanks! I'm thinking about doing a new run/new build and I just wanted to get an idea how much should I level if I stick with my NG+ characters. I've never attempted a NG+ run so I'm kinda nervous too! I would love to fall back on Summons tho if things get rough.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Demon's Souls remake on PS5. Didn't see From Software's name though. Not sure how I feel about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TMs2E6cms4&feature=emb_logo

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    I am so psyched for the Demon's Souls remake. Back when the original game came out I bounced off it hard and ended up selling my PS3 copy before I got into the Souls series much much more recently. I really want to go back and give it another shot now that I can appreciate the game.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I feel like they're cleaning things up too much visually and losing atmosphere when I look at comparisons.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Xerink wrote: »
    I am so psyched for the Demon's Souls remake. Back when the original game came out I bounced off it hard and ended up selling my PS3 copy before I got into the Souls series much much more recently. I really want to go back and give it another shot now that I can appreciate the game.
    I don't recommend it. The game does not hold up.

Like, I was an absolute fanatic about the game when it was released. But going back after the Dark Souls trilogy was... painful. The bosses are bad, the options are few, the systems are unnecessarily convoluted, and Alignment is the most obnoxious quest lock I've ever encountered.

There are a few neat spots in some of the levels, but most of those were done better in various DS3 homage segments and other points through the Dark trilogy. I do still enjoy the lore and mood, but again there's nothing unfamiliar to a Souls veteran.

I'm very curious about the remake, to see how they update some of those elements. A faithful remake isn't really a good idea with this one.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Idk, I enjoyed replaying DeS after playing DS1 and 2. I did play it during the digital re-release on PS3 though, which made it locked to white alignment I think so I saw a bunch of stuff I never saw on my first play through. A lot of encounters are badly designed, but it's easy enough after playing DS that it didn't matter.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It'll be good to know more about how much is getting reworked, especially given that From aren't involved as far as anybody can tell.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah i actually think there's a lot they probably need to do to bring it up to contemporary standards

it's a really interesting game and i won't go so far as to say it's bad, but there's a lot of jank in it

i'm kinda hoping the fractured mode business is them porting over regular ass demon's souls as is with all the weird shit it does + a "fix shit" toggle

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I played DeS for the first time through after the Dark Souls trilogy, it was fine. Has problems, sure, but it still feels fine to play.

edit: And if you do it on a decent PC emulated these days it can be quite nice looking. Although you can't use the private server to have online play+manipulate tendency since the PS3 emulator still doesn't have online functionality afaik.

Kamar on
  • Options
    i don't know if it's a controller issue or what but my biggest issue with demon's apart from the either too easy or weird and busted bosses is the tendency for rolls to just fuck up

it has DS1 four way rolling but the controls are particularly sensitive but simultaneously unresponsive

constantly rolling in the wrong direction, rolling when i want to sprint, often in a different direction than i'm already

i dunno it feels fucky

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't know if it's a controller issue or what but my biggest issue with demon's apart from the either too easy or weird and busted bosses is the tendency for rolls to just fuck up

it has DS1 four way rolling but the controls are particularly sensitive but simultaneously unresponsive

constantly rolling in the wrong direction, rolling when i want to sprint, often in a different direction than i'm already

i dunno it feels fucky

This just sounds like Dark Souls to me, to be honest.

As much as I think the feel of the series is (mostly, looking at you DS2) better than its competitors, most Soulslikes have better controls than the Fromsoft games.

I particularly hate things like how running and rolling and jumping work, even with the R3 jump. Any time I've played another similar game recently and pick up a Fromsoft game again, I end up dying to 'dodge on push' muscle memory because Souls is 'dodge on release' so run can be on the same button.

I also hate the forward+attack inputs.

(Personally, I'd vote for the Code Vein control scheme.)

Kamar on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Welp, finally spite beat Sekiro and yeah least favorite of the Fromsoft games.

I kept feeling like systems in the game were at odds with each other and the death penalty was just painful to deal with. Never really did a real hang on parrying, cheesed a fair bit when I found patterns.

Only fight I really enjoyed was
    Owl

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

i dunno it feels fucky

This just sounds like Dark Souls to me, to be honest.

As much as I think the feel of the series is (mostly, looking at you DS2) better than its competitors, most Soulslikes have better controls than the Fromsoft games.

I particularly hate things like how running and rolling and jumping work, even with the R3 jump. Any time I've played another similar game recently and pick up a Fromsoft game again, I end up dying to 'dodge on push' muscle memory because Souls is 'dodge on release' so run can be on the same button.

I also hate the forward+attack inputs.

(Personally, I'd vote for the Code Vein control scheme.)

Yeah, how the games control has always been a big part of why i'm somewhat down on the DS series. There's a lot of good in the games but boy oh boy is there some fucking jank.

One that always sticks out to me is that you can free aim spells - and free aiming them is just a CHORE. ...Like why even have free aiming at that point, if it's going to be useless 99% of the time.

Plus everything you said about the dumb jump controls (They arethe worst) and foward plus attack. Urgh, kicking.

Monster Hunter is not a series people usually associate with graceful controls (Tank controls was a common refrain in the PSP/3DS days), but i've always foundit controlled way more smoothly than DS.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Plus Bloodborne on PC means I get to play them all.
    Which is terrifying, because I've seen how bonkers that game gets.

• Options
    bloodborne on pc probably isn't a thing

guess we'll find out for sure in a couple hours after the pc show but the rumor is that it was supposed to be announced as a remaster with the ps5 stuff

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    One that always sticks out to me is that you can free aim spells - and free aiming them is just a CHORE. ...Like why even have free aiming at that point, if it's going to be useless 99% of the time.
    It can be really useful for AOE spells, and in PvP in particular sometimes you need to free aim to hit where the enemy is going to be instead of where they are right now.

• Options
    finally killed these asshole dragons in demon's souls fuck em fuck em hard gwyn did nothing wrong

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    finally killed these asshole dragons in demon's souls fuck em fuck em hard gwyn did nothing wrong

See, you say asshole dragons, and I immediately think you mean the ones in Lost Izalith.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Xerink wrote: »
    I don't recommend it. The game does not hold up.

Like, I was an absolute fanatic about the game when it was released. But going back after the Dark Souls trilogy was... painful. The bosses are bad, the options are few, the systems are unnecessarily convoluted, and Alignment is the most obnoxious quest lock I've ever encountered.

There are a few neat spots in some of the levels, but most of those were done better in various DS3 homage segments and other points through the Dark trilogy. I do still enjoy the lore and mood, but again there's nothing unfamiliar to a Souls veteran.

I'm very curious about the remake, to see how they update some of those elements. A faithful remake isn't really a good idea with this one.

This sentiment pains me. It's still my favorite Souls game, and it gave me some fond memories that I'll never forget.

The atmosphere is thick as it gets, and I'm nervous Bluepoint are going to ruin it(and I really don't like From not being credited).

That said, the Vanguard shot looks good, with how pitch black it is, and I appreciate the added background details.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.