As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also, looks like you'll have to have both Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let's Go in order to capture Meltan:

“Sending Pokémon from Pokémon Go into one of the Nintendo Switch titles will get you certain items in the app, such as Candies for the species of Pokémon you sent,” The Pokémon Company explained. “However, the first time you send a Pokémon, you’ll also be able to get a very special item: a Mystery Box!”
    The Mystery Box, once opened, allows players to find a Meltan in their Pokémon Go games. After battling and capturing it, the item closes itself again; the way to reset it is to again transfer a Pokémon from mobile to console.

In other words, Meltan the next Alolan eggs confirmed :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    the other side of the weather coin is that I can never find fire pokemon, except when it's sunny (and even then they are p rare), so it's all relative.

but that whole announcemen was so vague on everything, that I don't feel it's particularly useful to try and guess what they'll do. Maybe spawns will be wildly different (nests gone even?) or maybe they will just be a bit different. maybe we'll get a whole new battle system or maybe they'll just nerf blissey. who even knows.

Yea even when it was sunny I got heaps of treekos and numels, but never any torchics. I don't understand what was happening there.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    What the shit

I just turned this on in my apartment and there was a Bagon sitting there that ended up having perf ATK and DEF

Edit: CP would only max out at 3000 if I dumped absolutely everything into it, though :c

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Hello, I need one more friend for this Prof Willow mission, and social media has failed me. Anyone feel like being my PokéFriend?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Hello, I need one more friend for this Prof Willow mission, and social media has failed me. Anyone feel like being my PokéFriend?

Feel free to add me. 0193 1225 6087 if we aren't already friends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Feel free to add me. 0193 1225 6087 if we aren't already friends.

Thanks, keep an eye out for Danil2099

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    New EX pass wave out. Bleh 2pm raid for me. I hate the times they pick for these. I'll have to make up some excuse to leave work :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hmmm... Dragonite is the last Pokémon I need to finish Kanto.

I have 68 candy... BUT!

I just got a shiny dratini...

Do I set myself back the 25 candy to make that the Dragonite or just wait?

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I have 68 candy... BUT!

Personally I would set myself back 25 candy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That is where I'm leaning.

• Options
    edited October 2018

I have 68 candy... BUT!

Pro tip - go hunting for Research Tasks. "Evolve 10 Water Pokemon" this month awards a Dratini ("Catch a Dragon type" does as well if you're lucky enough to find that - remember Alolan Exeggutor counts as dragon type if you see a level 2 raid of him). If you pinapp each one, that's a quick way to build up dratini candies. Hatching Dratinis from 10k eggs also gives you a buttload if you are lucky enough to do so (like 20-40ish I wanna say). If you have a local discord group or something, sometimes those will point out these kinds of research tasks if people find them (they are always fixed per pokestop and reset at midnight).

All that said, with the psychic event going on these tasks are a bit harder to find right now since most stops have a psychic event quest. But once it ends on Sunday it should be much easier.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    10k eggs should give 16-32 candy.

• Options
  • Options
    There were 2 luvdiscs just chilling outside.

Assuming that is related to that update

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    New EX pass wave out. Bleh 2pm raid for me. I hate the times they pick for these. I'll have to make up some excuse to leave work :P

Yea my son got a 2pm raid near our house on a Tuesday. Normally why I don't like raiding near my house, but there is only 1 ex valid gym in the city.

There were 2 luvdiscs just chilling outside.

Assuming that is related to that update

Yep, 24h boosted spawns of female pokemon: luvdisc, wobbuffett, Pikachu and the nidoqueen line. Also appears to include any pink pokemon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, that would explain the wobbuffett with lipstick I found outside my house

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Are CP maxes hard coded per species or can individuals have different max CPs?

Edit: Also, how does 'good across the board' (like 3 12s) stack up to "great with a dump stat?" (like 15/4/15)?

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Individuals can have different max CPs due to their IVs. A max level snorlax (38) can have a CP range of 2842-3259.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I have 68 candy... BUT!

Back in the day, I walked a Dratini for 6 months to evolve it into Dragonite. Bam! Dragonite! Finally!

Then they changed the gyms and added raids and added Rare Candy to the game. And originally Rare Candy was EVERYWHERE. It felt like an insult to all of my hard effort. But the joke is on them because now I have multiple Dragonite, and they are all friends.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Are CP maxes hard coded per species or can individuals have different max CPs?

Edit: Also, how does 'good across the board' (like 3 12s) stack up to "great with a dump stat?" (like 15/4/15)?

CP is just a value computed from the stats and level of the pokemon. The formula is
    CP = (Attack * Defense^0.5 * Stamina^0.5 * CP_Multiplier^2) / 10

note that the stats include the combination of base stat + leveling + IV. The CP multiplier is a fixed value (for all pokemon) that changes with the level. I think this formula has never changed, but Niantic has changed how they arrive at the stat values (and will probably do so again very soon). That of course then changes the CP across the board.

The most important takeaway is that, as far as CP go, attack is twice as valuable as def/sta. So a 15/4/15 mon has the same CP as a 15/15/4 or a 15/10/9 mon. But a 4/15/15 mon has lower CP than them.

The other truth of the matter is that CP only tells very little on how "good" at fighting a mon is. Blissey is a monstrous defender but a worse attacker than many mon that max out at lower CP. Other mon have high CP and no good use because of their typing or moveset (aggron comes to mind).

Generally speaking, the attack IV is the most important. So far ahead that I'd actually probably prefer a 15/10/10 mon over a 14/14/14 for like a Machamp or whatever. For most battles we only care about the raw damage output and then a high DEF could even be detrimental (because the more damage you eat, the more charge move energy you get). But otoh attacks only deal integer damage. So given a fixed defender a lvl 40 Machamp with 15 attack IV might do the exact same damage as a lvl 38 Machamp with 10 attack IV because the better one doesn't clear the next breakpoint. This then gets into the absolute fine details of battling, which isn't useful for 99,98% of the player base.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the new update rolling out to a few lucky Android users has a tab in the Pokedex for gen 4, so we could be getting new Pokemon even sooner than we expected.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I would expect Gen 4 Pokemon for a Halloween event, like last year. Maybe at the end of next week? That would make it basically a year between generations, which is a sensible move if they don't want to catch up with the mainline games too soon.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Also this is a thing that's bugged me since they did this for gen 3 but like...Why the fuck would you introduce the new Gen in the late fall/winter months? Shouldn't they have this shit come out in like...the Spring?
    Sure, we've got a Mainline Pokemon Game to promote, that's a reason I can sort of tolerate. But idk, maybe make your new Pokemon be part of The first quarter if it's really that much of a business reason?

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    In some parts of the world, it's finally getting cool enough to comfortably walk outside. I prefer fall/winter weather in Southern CA for being outside.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And the game's managed to work itself out to where we get roughly one new generation per year, which pushes out the date Go catches up with the mainline stuff.

When this game runs out of new Pokémon to introduce, it's going to be in deep trouble.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Hatched a Farfetch'd today, so now the only roadblock is getting raids for the birds and Mewtwo.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gen 4 needs to be this week.

I went out tonight and it was all rattata, swablu, and other boring basic gen 3 Pokémon.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    And the game's managed to work itself out to where we get roughly one new generation per year, which pushes out the date Go catches up with the mainline stuff.

When this game runs out of new Pokémon to introduce, it's going to be in deep trouble.

I mean, I can't imagine this game has the legs to carry itself for the 4 more years it would take for it to catch up to Gen 8 next year. 6 years of updates is a lot in the mobile market, isn't it?

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying, I don't think the game will decline because it runs out of new Pokemon to add. As it naturally declines they'll just phase it out.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TDawg wrote: »

I mean, I can't imagine this game has the legs to carry itself for the 4 more years it would take for it to catch up to Gen 8 next year. 6 years of updates is a lot in the mobile market, isn't it?

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying, I don't think the game will decline because it runs out of new Pokemon to add. As it naturally declines they'll just phase it out.

Ingress is having it's 5th birthday soon, and that is still played. Also pokemon has an incredibly strong fanbase so I wouldn't be surprised if it stays healthy for a very long time.

• Options
    DO NOT HEAL YOUR POKEMON

They are in the process of adjusting CP values and it will be fixed.

Right now it looks like every one of my Pokémon has taken a small amount of damage.

• Options
    The stat rebalance was live for a couple minutes and then reverted. The gist is that every pokemon but blissey/chancey got more HP and mon with a wide def - sp def difference (in the main games) got their pogo def nerfed.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Did they change it so that gym pokemon don't need a revive anymore? or was that just an artifact of the CP rejiggering?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Did they change it so that gym pokemon don't need a revive anymore? or was that just an artifact of the CP rejiggering?

If you power up a KOed pokemon and they gain HP, that will count as reviving and then you can just heal with a potion. So possibly the effect of the CP rejig. I use this quite often to save revives, on pokemon I actually want to power up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Gen 4 is live!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh boy, another generation to get 92% of until an event 2 years from now where I can get it up to 94% if I walk far enough!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Gen 4 is live! (edit: Ah late :3)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I just caught a Bidoof, whatever that is. (Gen3 was the last one I remember properly, so from now on I'm on a voyage of discovery in this game.)

• Options
    bidoof is a meme

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BTW, who here is "Waterfa11"? I was trying to look through old friend code posts and can't figure it out :P We are gonna become Bestest of Friends today :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hooray, 3 Bidoofs (Bidooves?)

In a game that doesn't have HMs, they are now completely useless

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]