As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    There's usually an option to toggle AR on the catch screen itself, but if it's not there it's for sure in the options panel.

The AR has always been kinda garbage. Makes it way too hard to gauge how far away they are so a lot more balls get wasted.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Yeah, turning off AR is the way to go. When I was trying to catch Celebi apparently you have to catch it in AR? But it seemed I had infinite balls, so that's cool I guess.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Yeah, turning off AR is the way to go. When I was trying to catch Celebi apparently you have to catch it in AR? But it seemed I had infinite balls, so that's cool I guess.

Yeah, the mythical research reward encounters force AR, since they do wacky things.

At any rate, pretty much no one plays with AR on all the time, so go ahead and shut it off.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

My wife was telling me about this like its invisible?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

My wife was telling me about this like its invisible?

Celebi
    Yeah, it switches from visible to invisible periodically and is forced AR. It's actually kinda cool!

• Options
    So my wife is a part of a facebook group of local pokemon goers. She just got back from a pokestop hit up when they talked about taking down a ray that was popping up near by. So I hopped in the car and drove over there. Knocked that guy down like he stole something, but I think mine bugged because its black and not green.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Fuckin a!

I was so panicked when it came up. The first Ray I caught I was down to like my second ball. This one caught it within 2. Luck of the draw I guess! I missed a stupid shadowed zubat earlier today.

I also told my wife not to say anything in her facebook group since I was the lowest level there and I think I'm the only one who caught a shiny

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    We went out today and did 3 Ray raids with my wife and son. Each of us caught one and missed the other 2. But at least we walked away with a raquaza each. Didn't see any shinies though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    So I just started playing this last Tuesday, and now I'm pretty hooked. Feel free to add me # 1835 7526 7250

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Welcome!

1) Blitz your way up levels!
    2) Do try to finish a quest every day so you can get a sweet Legendary after seven daily quests. Feel free to throw away quests you won't finish quickly (and whose rewards you don't care for)
    3) For optimal use, use your unlimited egg incubator for the 2km and 5km eggs, and any limited-use incubators you get for the 10km ones
    4) Stardust isn't so important pre-level 30, since the 'mons you catch are bounded by your level, so just keep on catching and save your stardust for later
    5) You are going to need extra storage eventually for both items and Pokemons, so be on the lookout for gyms with less than six critters sitting in there to get coins
    6) Speaking of working your way up in levels, there will be a chain of quests that gives a huge amount of experience and stardust - try to have a Lucky Egg active to give yourself a big boost
    7) Look for active friends in your local community - they do raids and stuff in your area, so tagging along may be fruitful for you. Plus you can trade for any limited edition Pokemon you may have missed earlier.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    It's more the issue with niantic announcing
    Fuckin a!

I was so panicked when it came up. The first Ray I caught I was down to like my second ball. This one caught it within 2. Luck of the draw I guess! I missed a stupid shadowed zubat earlier today.

I also told my wife not to say anything in her facebook group since I was the lowest level there and I think I'm the only one who caught a shiny

Shiny legendaries from raids never break out of balls. So you really only have to hit it once and can use pinap berries.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I fired this up today for the first time in probably a year or more.

They seem to have broken/ruined capturing Pokemon(?). I was trying to catch some Ralts today, and I had to wave my phone all over like a maniac to get the Ralts to even come into focus on the screen. And the background was solid white? There was nothing to look at on the capture screen. And I couldn't find a way to change it back. What happened to the pre-rendered backgrounds and stationary targets?

I went ahead and caught maybe 15-20 Ralts. I didn't stay out very long and I didn't catch any shinys which was disappointing, but at least I got enough candy to evolve one.

I've heard of this issue, but it looks like AR is turned on for you, but the camera isn't showing any background - you might need to turn on permissions for Pokemon GO and the camera, before getting the option to turn AR off.

Can confirm this is a known issue. My friend had the exact same problem and they had to do this. It sounds a bit weird but you need to allow the app access to your camera in order to disable the AR.

In other news I have a shiny Latios now. 😎
    Are the shiny probabilities for Pokemon you get from field research better or something?

• Options
    Got my first research legendary this morning a a Kyogre? My wife said its pretty good water type. I just felt like an idiot because despite it being the size of a whale I could not hit it for the life of me for a bit.

Anytime a pokemon is in that back line catching area I always under throw.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You gotta really flick it at the end of the throw with those distant mons. Unfortunately that kinda kills precision too so you need to find the balance. You’ll get there though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    For me its once I learned to curve that's all I can throw, so sometimes with the distance I just underthrow the zubat types.

I did get a metal coat this morning, which will go great with my purified bug type I got this weekend!

So many buddies I need to walk but I'm stuck with grimer right now so I can finish a research. Well not "stuck" I can choose what I want, but that's my focus.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    For me its once I learned to curve that's all I can throw, so sometimes with the distance I just underthrow the zubat types.

I did get a metal coat this morning, which will go great with my purified bug type I got this weekend!

So many buddies I need to walk but I'm stuck with grimer right now so I can finish a research. Well not "stuck" I can choose what I want, but that's my focus.

There's a research task for evolving Scyther (it's in the Meltan quest line) so I'd advise against evolving your purified Scyther until you get that mission unless you're swimming in Scyther candies.

• Options

There's a research task for evolving Scyther (it's in the Meltan quest line) so I'd advise against evolving your purified Scyther until you get that mission unless you're swimming in Scyther candies.

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to not do that! My wife said something similar about magikarp in the mew line and I'm like "baby if I got 400 candies I'd totally ask you before I even thought of evolving it"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Got my first research legendary this morning a a Kyogre? My wife said its pretty good water type. I just felt like an idiot because despite it being the size of a whale I could not hit it for the life of me for a bit.

Anytime a pokemon is in that back line catching area I always under throw.

Kyogre is a notorious pain in the ass to catch.

Also, it's not a pretty good water type, it's arguably the best. Congrats!

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    This game confuses me sometimes, I just caught a Santa hat Pikachu. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Options
    Leeks wrote: »
    This game confuses me sometimes, I just caught a Santa hat Pikachu. Merry Christmas everyone!

They're rerunning all of the limited time hat wearing Pikachu over the next week or so. A new hat will be available each day.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Leeks wrote: »

They're rerunning all of the limited time hat wearing Pikachu over the next week or so. A new hat will be available each day.

And a small group of oldtimers are piiiiissed. But it's whatever, they were never promised to be limited time only.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Every Pokemon you catch is time-stamped. If they're that concerned about their 'mons not being exclusive anymore they can just think of them as Original Run.

• Options
    I got an invite to an ex raid! But its like during work hours on a wednesday. still thinking of claiming I have an appointment and going off for a couple hours...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I got an invite to an ex raid! But its like during work hours on a wednesday. still thinking of claiming I have an appointment and going off for a couple hours...

If you go, be sure to arrive five minutes before the start time. No one arrives late (and if they do, they're out of luck).

• Options
    edited August 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »

If you go, be sure to arrive five minutes before the start time. No one arrives late (and if they do, they're out of luck).

Oh I totally planned on showing up ahead of time. If I go.

Edit: Time off taken, now heres to hoping other people who got invited show up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh I totally planned on showing up ahead of time. If I go.

Edit: Time off taken, now heres to hoping other people who got invited show up.

If you are looking for reassurance check your local discord group, it should have some Ex-raid lobbies where people can confirm attendance ahead of time.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Looks like the next community day is Sunday, September 15th, featuring Turtwig! It's 11am-2pm local time, so a bit earlier than other community days. Turtwig is maybe my favorite starter ever, so I'm definitely gonna get out there and try to find some shiny dudes. The bonus is 3x Catch Stardust, as well, so that's awesome.

Cruor on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Oh great - I prefer it when community days are in the daytime, as the later ones tended to clash with food/bath/bed time for my kids. I’ve missed out on most of the recent ones because of that.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've held off on evolving my near perfect Turtwig for exactly this reason

Though honestly I kind of hate the community days because of this, I wish they'd let you learn the exclusive move with a TM

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Please, Nurse Joy, my Azurill. He's very sick.
    g8s02j9puls9.png

• Options
    Shiny apparently means irradiated. That mouse clearly went to Chernobyl.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Looks like the next community day is Sunday, September 15th, featuring Turtwig! It's 11am-2pm local time, so a bit earlier than other community days. Turtwig is maybe my favorite starter ever, so I'm definitely gonna get out there and try to find some shiny dudes. The bonus is 3x Catch Stardust, as well, so that's awesome.

@turtleant I don't know if you play this game but just in case, this is important news.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

@turtleant I don't know if you play this game but just in case, this is important news.

Its literally unplayable because I live in the middle of nowhere!

Everytime I've loaded it up when I'm going on a walk or whatever to see if it got better it's just a few early game filler mons around my house.

And the nearest pokestop is like, 6 miles away at a gas station.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Been on a long streak of no Sinnoh Stones in my weekly special research reward. However, this made up for it:
    c2uro0pmrhed.png

• Options
    I was a good husband this morning noticed a aerodactyl raid was up in the park and drove out there this morning to get my wife her last meltan research thingy. Plus I got myself an aerodactyl. Now if only a fucking ditto would show up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I’m stuck on the Scyther evolution step, before I get caught hunting for an Aerodactyl raid.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I need some friends!

1975 3733 4970 My wifes code

1726 3625 2339 Mine

Just need one new friend for a research thing. You can add me and then dump me after its coo I won't *sniffle* I WONT TAKE IT PERSONALLY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Who the hell just knocked my Pokemon out of a gym at 4:30am in the middle of a rain storm.

• Options
    Thank you discrider! And I even didn't waste my lucky egg you're the real poke star!

pleasepaypreacher.net