As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yesterday was not a good day at the Dover household. The wife isn’t in the best of moods right now after being up to midnight with messaging, emails, and video calls.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Hatched another 4 Noibat this morning, one of them was 14/15/15. Still no shinies, but I'm at the 360ish candy mark, so that's very nice!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yesterday was not a good day at the Dover household. The wife isn’t in the best of moods right now after being up to midnight with messaging, emails, and video calls.

Aww, your wife is still super cool. I hope she cheers up!

Edit: Maybe this will help cheer her up, I just found it (just in time for Nov community day)
    8dfp3y5auc7a.png

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Having bugs like this get squashed and not hold back her features will cheer her up. She was pretty happy with this particular feature because it was her last big update before her promotion, so seeing it stumble out of the gate was disheartening.

But like she always says, "software is hard", so with any luck, she can help other teams to have procedures in place to lock out future bug issues. No guarantees though, since there's a lot of teams at Niantic and she doesn't get to control them all.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Having bugs like this get squashed and not hold back her features will cheer her up. She was pretty happy with this particular feature because it was her last big update before her promotion, so seeing it stumble out of the gate was disheartening.

But like she always says, "software is hard", so with any luck, she can help other teams to have procedures in place to lock out future bug issues. No guarantees though, since there's a lot of teams at Niantic and she doesn't get to control them all.

Ahh yeah, whenever you're merging stuff there's always that risk of things breaking. It's such a shame :( (and I absolutely don't blame any of the programmers, this shit just happens). I am still surprised Niantic wouldn't do like a test dry run (with the build they intend to push) of something like this though. Probably could have caught this and it could have been hotfixed before pushing it out.

Tell your wife at least I am still super looking forward to this when it eventually does get released. It sounded like such a cool surprise event

Edit: And just to be clear, my rant is largely (and has pretty much always been) aimed at management. I don't even think this is necessarily testing's fault. They probably aren't given the time and resources they need to do their jobs properly (very familiar with projects like that -_-). The higher ups managing resources, schedules, budgets, etc need to put a priority on a proper test environment/timeframe so stuff like this doesn't happen. But they haven't for 6 years so I'm not exactly expecting anything.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Oh fuck, I was literally just thinking how this must have caused late-night panicking and having to make the tough decision to pull a feature hyped on Twitter. Truly sorry to hear she had to endure this.

But honestly, people don't really seem to be that put out. And hey, we know Zoura is coming!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    99 pages? Holy crap. And if it's time for a new thread, I'd better shape up the first post.

Anyone know of a site that has a good, reasonably up-to-date Pokemon Go 101? So much has changed over the years, but every time I try to Google it I keep getting horrible SEO sites.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    99 pages? Holy crap. And if it's time for a new thread, I'd better shape up the first post.

Anyone know of a site that has a good, reasonably up-to-date Pokemon Go 101? So much has changed over the years, but every time I try to Google it I keep getting horrible SEO sites.

Not familiar with something like that specifically, but I'd recommend at least linking to leekduck and silph road as super valuable resources.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Not familiar with something like that specifically, but I'd recommend at least linking to leekduck and silph road as super valuable resources.

Hm, I was afraid of that. Ah well, I can at least paint the general brushstrokes and point folks to those places.

• Options
    edited October 2022

Hm, I was afraid of that. Ah well, I can at least paint the general brushstrokes and point folks to those places.

I mean, there might be something out there. I haven't really looked. Though I'd guess there probably isn't anything super current (I bet most results would be from like 2016-2017 when the game was new).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah what a fucking bummer
    plus holy fuck who approved that Blanche's redesign???????

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    It's not the Zoura fix people are probably hoping for, but I really like the look of the new stickers interface.

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/sticker-feature-update-2022/

AAZTjNn06Lquy6vB1rzu3yksaTREMZGJapGtTLBZVU6gW33uPsMmwRK4JvwJnh7RRa0agSkb4B33BCblUZlXjqbVAwiejVxojeIbmPjW9PvDvQ

That's a nice QoL update, the current infinitely scrolling sticker list is not great to use.

• Options
    Ruldar wrote: »
    It's not the Zoura fix people are probably hoping for, but I really like the look of the new stickers interface.

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/sticker-feature-update-2022/

AAZTjNn06Lquy6vB1rzu3yksaTREMZGJapGtTLBZVU6gW33uPsMmwRK4JvwJnh7RRa0agSkb4B33BCblUZlXjqbVAwiejVxojeIbmPjW9PvDvQ

That's a nice QoL update, the current infinitely scrolling sticker list is not great to use.

OH MY GOD FINALLY! YES! This has been driving me crazy for forever. I know it's a stupid thing but this is seriously a big deal to me. I'm extremely happy they finally did something here (actually makes me surprisingly optimistic for other QoL improvements)

• Options
    QoL features for gifting would be insanely nice. Let me open every available gift with one click, and also send out all of my gifts with a single click (with the ability to pick whether they get stickers, and prioritize who gets sent my gifts first). I usually avoid opening or sending gifts for a long time because it's just such a slow, shitty process each time.

• Options
    oh, oh, a sticker album (so i could have 1 unusable of each sticker I ever had as a memento) would be the best thing, so I could get rid of all the 1 of each sticker I have to keep as collection items

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well, still no shiny but this hatched today (had just enough candy to evolve)
    alxaauqi8ggj.png

Still really want a shiny but this is nice at least :3

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Oh snap! The 7km friend eggs can hatch Noibat! The friend eggs finally have value!!!

Clutzy got a shiny shuppet, and then caught a perfect Yamask. Me? Nada. Not a got danged thing worth mentioning.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    I asked my wife how her day was and she said, "Do you know that dog meme?"

dp2sxbvhwsfo.jpg

That was basically her day. But do be fair, that sort of feels like most of her days at work.

She wanted me to tell the PGO thread that she's sorry there's a delay on the Zorua update. She's excited to hear everyone liked the sticker update and she's listening to suggestions from the thread and on Reddit. Some of the stuff they've talked about already, some neat things in the works, and some stuff that probably won't happen.

Wish I could go into more details, but NDAs and stuff. I'd like to also point out, she gets very happy when she reads positive comments here, so keep those up please! :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I asked my wife how her day was and she said, "Do you know that dog meme?"

dp2sxbvhwsfo.jpg

That was basically her day. But do be fair, that sort of feels like most of her days at work.

She wanted me to tell the PGO thread that she's sorry there's a delay on the Zorua update. She's excited to hear everyone liked the sticker update and she's listening to suggestions from the thread and on Reddit. Some of the stuff they've talked about already, some neat things in the works, and some stuff that probably won't happen.

Wish I could go into more details, but NDAs and stuff. I'd like to also point out, she gets very happy when she reads positive comments here, so keep those up please! :)

Your wife is awesome and she doesn't need to apologize at all for the Zorua thing (but yes, I am freaking excited for it! :D Hope the issues are ironed out quickly because it sounded like a really awesome event)

And I've said this before, but I would *love* more avatar customization (like, minimum more hairstyles would be awesome). Also more clothing options, especially in the categories that are chronically neglected like necklaces and belts. It's very stupid and not really "gameplay important" but I love this shit :D

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    If there's anything I'd like to pass on it's that we've gotten an impressive array of events lately that keep things fresh, and I definitely appreciate it!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah non-event periods are kind of boring.

• Options
    tell her to send nasty eyes to the person who massacred our blanche

and thank her for all her amazing ideas and work

and i'm gonna add all of yall because i'm 200k xp away from level 40 and that BLUE MEW.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

and i'm gonna add all of yall because i'm 200k xp away from level 40 and that BLUE MEW.

There's a blue mew for being level 40? I feel like I missed this :( Unless this was one of the things I sent to Home back when I didn't think I was gonna play anymore :P

• Options

There's a blue mew for being level 40? I feel like I missed this :( Unless this was one of the things I sent to Home back when I didn't think I was gonna play anymore :P

oh no, no, no, it's the #151 All In One Masterwork Research from the first big event in feb 20 2021... I've done all the other steps, just missing the level 40 quest after almost 2 years of work. It's been a journey. AFAIK the shiny mew is one of the rarest bois there are, and a legit PoGo one is a big badge of honor.

BTW I'm Esuassuna in game and my FC is 8529 0704 2535

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

oh no, no, no, it's the #151 All In One Masterwork Research from the first big event in feb 20 2021... I've done all the other steps, just missing the level 40 quest after almost 2 years of work. It's been a journey. AFAIK the shiny mew is one of the rarest bois there are, and a legit PoGo one is a big badge of honor.

BTW I'm Esuassuna in game and my FC is 8529 0704 2535

Ahhhhh ok, yeah I missed out on that. Also I'll add ya when I get home tonight :3 (pretty sure I don't have you on my list already at least, that name doesn't look familiar)

• Options
    i finally did it
    i AM the very best no one ever was
    gat8xn7fl6za.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Wow, I've been on a crazy hundo streak lately...
    fkyknuq1p3ua.png

Edit: lol what the heck
    e4ayvnqwlloi.png

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I love xl pumpkaboos tiny hat barely fitting on its tuft so much

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    @Kizmitt I just wanted to say that my kids are currently obsessed with the idea that you're in New Zealand. Ever since you added them they'll ask Google what time it is in NZ at random parts of the day and talk about how you should be asleep lol.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    @Kizmitt I just wanted to say that my kids are currently obsessed with the idea that you're in New Zealand. Ever since you added them they'll ask Google what time it is in NZ at random parts of the day and talk about how you should be asleep lol.

That's honestly one thing I really love about PoGo. I started using the postcard book and I like to save everytime I get some cool postcard from some place halfway around the world :D Thanks to PokeGenie I have people on my friends list from all over the world so I get to see lots of cool shit :3

• Options
    PoGo loves throwing shinies that I already have at me. This Halloween event has gotten me dupe shinies of Gastly, Spinarak, and Misdreavus. I did finally get my first shiny Murkrow though, which was very nice.

Sidenote, the word Pimp is banned for nicknames, but not Ho or Hoes.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Cruor wrote: »
    PoGo loves throwing shinies that I already have at me. This Halloween event has gotten me dupe shinies of Gastly, Spinarak, and Misdreavus. I did finally get my first shiny Murkrow though, which was very nice.

Sidenote, the word Pimp is banned for nicknames, but not Ho or Hoes.

I forget exactly what words are banned but I specifically remember trying to name something "<Pokemon name> <IV %>" and the game rejected it because the pokemon's name included a banned word. It might have been Lickitongue? I can't remember for sure. But yeah, wish the system were just a bit smarter at times :P (also if you banned "Ho" you would block so many pokemon names :p, Ho-oh especially :3)

Oh, side note to MNC Dover's wife if she's looking for suggestions to bring to Niantic. Can Niantic please update the Wayfarer wayspot guidelines? They are horribly out-of-date (I don't think they've been changed since Ingress days?), vague, and there's been a ton of clarifications on topics that never get updated into the official guidelines (you have to go searching for Niantic forum posts and stuff). Just something that occurred to me to mention as I often browse the Wayfarer reddit and it can just be so confusing if a rando disc golf hole or footbridge is considered eligible :/ So many people just don't know which way to go on stuff, or complaining that their actually valid nomination is getting rejected because of vagueness on the guidelines page (also please update the rejection reasons so I don't have to use "Other Rejection Criteria" for almost everything :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    Just had my buddy pokemon species show up on the map and turn into a zorua. Guess they got the bug fixed and stealth released it?

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    CSStheGr8 wrote: »
    Just had my buddy pokemon species show up on the map and turn into a zorua. Guess they got the bug fixed and stealth released it?

👀

• Options
    Hm, just checked and didn't see one.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kizmitt I just wanted to say that my kids are currently obsessed with the idea that you're in New Zealand. Ever since you added them they'll ask Google what time it is in NZ at random parts of the day and talk about how you should be asleep lol.

Haha awesome. You can let them know it currently doesn't get dark until 9pm here.
    Even though it's actually spring here we are locked into northern hemisphere seasons when it comes to events/stickers but not Deerling.

Incidentally I had no idea you got notified when someone saved your postcard until Alice saved a couple I had sent.
    I'll try find some cooler landmarks instead of building I work in and bus stop near my house.

• Options
    Yep, the in-game news said Zoura's out, so keep an eye out for your buddy Pokemon, apparently.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Do local area pokemon change eventually?

I know theres an event going that induces a lot of ghost types but I live in a small town and don't really get around a whole lot outside of it to be honest. Does that limit my options for filling out the dex?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Hm, just checked and didn't see one.

Same (nevermind that random bathroom break, work) :( I'll have to look more after I get off work

I am curious, I currently have Latias as my buddy to try and get some mega energy. He flies SUPER high tho - I wonder if the fake Latiases are going to also be way high off the ground.

Edit:
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Do local area pokemon change eventually?

I know theres an event going that induces a lot of ghost types but I live in a small town and don't really get around a whole lot outside of it to be honest. Does that limit my options for filling out the dex?

Yeah they do. Aside from events, obviously, they tend to shake up the normal spawn pool every season (so every few months) as far as I've seen. Spotlight hours also tend to be good things to watch for to help fill your dex too as they can have a pretty wide assortment of spawns each month (October is more of an exception because of the "ghost" theme kind of overlapping with the event spawns).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Does you buddy pokemon need to be out for Zorua to spawn? If your buddy pokemon was Zorua would you just find Zorua? Does Zorua appear on the stop list?