As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Speaking of the 7-day goal, is a perfect Latios worth training up?

Only if you're really lacking in dragons.

I’ve got a beefy enough dragonite so I think I’ll wait until I find some gibles before making any drastic decisions regarding my stock of rare candies.
    I was mostly chuffed because a) perfect and b) it was the first dragon I’ve seen in weeks so I was finally able to complete that “catch a dragon fit three candies” task.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Just grabbed a shiny Misdreavus, pretty pumped about that. Low starting CP and meh IVs but that's fine. I almost have enough Candies to evolve her, I just need to get lucky and snag another Sinnoh stone.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Speaking of shinies, I also got a shiny Scyther at level... 1? And while I got a Scizor that's perfectly levelled for Ultra League I'm strongly considering pumping this one up for the cool factor. Websites peg that at 280ish candies and 200k stardust though.

So what are your most inefficient usage of resources in the game (purely for personal/coolness sake)?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Speaking of shinies, I also got a shiny Scyther at level... 1? And while I got a Scizor that's perfectly levelled for Ultra League I'm strongly considering pumping this one up for the cool factor. Websites peg that at 280ish candies and 200k stardust though.

So what are your most inefficient usage of resources in the game (purely for personal/coolness sake)?

I leveled a shiny diglett to max .... from 28 CP

about 5 minutes later I got another shiny diglett that was 508 CP =/

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well now it's:
    5alxf0be8dy7.pngwayo2oad89c2.png

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I've got level 40 perfect Nidoqueen and Wigglytuff as my resource wasters. Also a level 40 Golduck (that one isn't even a hundo)

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My wife, son, and I are playing this more now that it is summer time. Is there a sheet for friend codes? We need to add 10 new friends for one of the research goals plus more gifts are always nice.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    You can leave your friend codes here, you'll get friend requests soon enough.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    My wife, son, and I are playing this more now that it is summer time. Is there a sheet for friend codes? We need to add 10 new friends for one of the research goals plus more gifts are always nice.

My friend code is 0831 9055 3128

I still have room for daily gift open and gift send

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Something i just realized, the raid passes, is it 1 per day per gym? Or just the 1 / day?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Something i just realized, the raid passes, is it 1 per day per gym? Or just the 1 / day?

Per day. It's used up when you start a raid

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can get two done in a day if you have a pass from yesterday that still hasn't been used.
    Then spin a gym for today's pass afterwards.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    You can leave your friend codes here, you'll get friend requests soon enough.

Cool mine is 6837 9496 8442. I will get my wife and son to give me theirs next time they play.

My son's is 2222 3998 3665.

furlion on
  • Options
    Woo! Just found two Ditto’s tonight! Managed to complete both of the epic quests that required them.

I already had 400+ magikarp candy saved up, so now its just a matter of popping a lucky egg and doing some evolves and quests.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    FYI, if you're looking for something similar but different, Niantic's Harry Potter thing launches tomorrow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    FYI, if you're looking for something similar but different, Niantic's Harry Potter thing launches tomorrow.

Looks like it actually launched today. I just started.

Edit: Possibly out on Android only right now.

Leeks on
  • Options
    I am never going to catch the two stupid dittos I need for those two events. I have only ever seen one and that was over a year ago.

• Options
    I'm caught up on using a sunstone to evolve Gloom or Sunkern. And evolving a Grimer (of which I have only ever seen one). And evolving Magikarp. They'll get done eventually.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I am never going to catch the two stupid dittos I need for those two events. I have only ever seen one and that was over a year ago.

For me, I waited until night time when more of the ditto pokemon were spawning, and then stopped at a nest. Caught two within 5 minites of each other.

Edit: caught a third ditto last night when I walked across the street to a nearby Pokéstop to catch a bulbasaur

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I played a bit of Wizards Unite yesterday, and despite the two games sharing similar mechanics, I feel Pokemon Go is the superior game. On a surface level, I don’t like the art style of Wizards Unite. The graphics are ugly and resource heavy, resulting in a loading screen before every “catch” sequence. The spell tracing mechanic used to catch wizarding whatsits feels slower and the animation of casting a spell lasts f-o-r-e-v-e-r. You’ve got to watch your wand spraying Hagrid with your magical broth of about 5 seconds before you know if it worked or not. Even using an "Inn," the equivalent of spinning a Pokestop, is slow. The player clicks on the icon, it loads up a screen where you swipe an arc motion, you then watch some dishes float around which reveals which food you receive resulting in a certain amount of “spell energy” used to catch more wizarding whatsits. It all results in something that isn’t easy for a casual player to pick up and play for a couple minutes at a time. It also eats batteries like crazy.

One of the things that makes games like Pokemon Go and Ingress appealing (although I don’t play the latter) is that you get to make a “mark” on the world. For ingress, you take over portals and other people see your name when fighting over territory. For Pokemon Go, it’s placing your rare ‘mons in gyms and there’s your (somewhat) customized avatar and name next to it. You come to recognize the people who frequent gyms in your area. As far as I can see, there’s really nothing like that in Wizards Unite. I suppose it depends on how rabid the Harry Potter fandom is these days, but I really don’t see this catching on like Pokemon Go.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I've been playing it a little today, and I think the thing that makes me feel less happy about playing it is that there seems to be a lot of complexity to it - there are different types of quest to complete every day, potions to brew, portkeys to open, herbs to grow, inns and greenhouses to visit. You've got to train up as an Auror / professor / whatever, there are other wizards to battle with, people you can team up with, who knows what...

I know for some people it was a turnoff, but I actually liked the way Pokemon Go introduced a lot of features gradually - it allowed me to get used to the general way the game worked before introducing another element. I'd never say Niantic did it all right the first time, but having it all there from the start means it feels a little overwhelming.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I played a bit of Wizards Unite yesterday, and despite the two games sharing similar mechanics, I feel Pokemon Go is the superior game. On a surface level, I don’t like the art style of Wizards Unite. The graphics are ugly and resource heavy, resulting in a loading screen before every “catch” sequence. The spell tracing mechanic used to catch wizarding whatsits feels slower and the animation of casting a spell lasts f-o-r-e-v-e-r. You’ve got to watch your wand spraying Hagrid with your magical broth of about 5 seconds before you know if it worked or not. Even using an "Inn," the equivalent of spinning a Pokestop, is slow. The player clicks on the icon, it loads up a screen where you swipe an arc motion, you then watch some dishes float around which reveals which food you receive resulting in a certain amount of “spell energy” used to catch more wizarding whatsits. It all results in something that isn’t easy for a casual player to pick up and play for a couple minutes at a time. It also eats batteries like crazy.

One of the things that makes games like Pokemon Go and Ingress appealing (although I don’t play the latter) is that you get to make a “mark” on the world. For ingress, you take over portals and other people see your name when fighting over territory. For Pokemon Go, it’s placing your rare ‘mons in gyms and there’s your (somewhat) customized avatar and name next to it. You come to recognize the people who frequent gyms in your area. As far as I can see, there’s really nothing like that in Wizards Unite. I suppose it depends on how rabid the Harry Potter fandom is these days, but I really don’t see this catching on like Pokemon Go.

I'd like to enjoy Wizards Unite, but my office doesn't have an Inn in range, so I haven't had any spell energy since about 1pm yesterday. The same issue can happy in Pokemon Go with Pokeballs, but I haven't experienced that in years. I can walk on my lunch break and hit 2 inns. So I can catch roughly 4 things per work day, which isn't super exciting. Weekends when I can hit more inns may improve things, so far it's ok, not great, and super annoying to be stuck unable to actually play.

• Options
    Before the streak bonus and gifts I very frequently ran out of pokeballs

Heck, I still do if I take a long walk and there aren’t enough Pokéstops to make up for bad luck streak on ball breaking and dodges along with the already steady downward drain of there being far more Pokemon than Pokéstops

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Why didn't anybody tell me it was double candy per catch this week! I am definitely going downtown tomorrow night with my family to rack up for a few hours.

• Options
    Why didn't anybody tell me it was double candy per catch this week! I am definitely going downtown tomorrow night with my family to rack up for a few hours.

Double candy
    Half distance eggs
    And I forget the third bonus

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Double candy
    Half distance eggs
    And I forget the third bonus

Double candy is for hatch and catch, which niantic counts as two separate bonuses

The last one is +1 rare candy per raid.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

My initial impression of WU is exactly the opposite of yours. (It's funny because I had a very similar discussion regarding ingress when PokeGo was released - one of my close friends is a Big Name in ingress even to this day.)

I actually enjoy WU more than Pokemon Go. I always found the art style of Pokemon to be childish and annoying and the "gritty" art style of WU feels better to me. The spell tracing brings back the glyph tracing of ingress (without the memorization aspect) and feels much more like playing an actual game than flick-a-pokeball-and-see-what-happens. Pokemon Go's catching mechanism was -intended- to be simple enough for kids and, to me, it feels about as interactive as a coin flip. (There's not anything inherently wrong with simple gameplay, it just isn't my preference.) The animations do take a long time, but so does watching a pokeball twitch three times, or having to wait out the weekly "congrats you walked!" award screen in Pokemon Go. Most of the really annoying ones can be canceled with a tap anyway.

The things which allow you to "make your mark" are there, but not in-your-face obvious. Greenhouses generate communal resources that have the grower's name on them that multiple hours to complete, giving time for internet-fame to generate. Putting a Dark Detector on an Inn (ie Lure on a Pokestop) lists the user's name as well.

But even though I enjoy it more, the bottom line is that I completely agree that it is far less likely to take off in anything close to the way that Pokemon has. I'll probably switch over for a while, but unless a local WU community develops, I'll likely drop it in a few months.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I, too, played some WU and enjoy it. I know nothing about Harry Potter but I don't think it matters.... I like that each encounter is a little different with the glyph drawing.

Also someone mentioned that they liked that Pokémon Go introduced features slowly but I feel like it's because most of those features didn't exist in any fashion at launch. It was pretty much catch Pokémon and spin stops. That's it.

Anecdotal but my wife said that she had a bunch of people on her Facebook talking about playing it. I probably won't play as long as I did Pokémon Go but maybe it'll be enough to get me outside and walking again. Pokémon Go helped me lose like 25 lbs without me trying.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm pretty annoyed with WU's energy mechanic. The spawning rates were already enough to gate access IMO. The inventory management is somehow worse than pokemon's too, and I'm having to clear out pokeballs and potions every other day here. And the GPS is hella rubberbandy, like year one of pogo bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed with WU's energy mechanic. The spawning rates were already enough to gate access IMO. The inventory management is somehow worse than pokemon's too, and I'm having to clear out pokeballs and potions every other day here. And the GPS is hella rubberbandy, like year one of pogo bad.

This right here is what is killing it for me. Once you get the hang of all the other mechanics it's pretty enjoyable, but feeling like you *need* a dark detector to get anything to spawn (and therefore, needing to be near an inn) is terrible.
    The other thing that got me coming from pogo is that there is no adventure sync for portkey walking, I know pogo didn't start with it either but now that I have it in pogo I'm kinda surprised that it's not a day 1 for WU.

I was lucky enough that my first few days trying it were in Disneyland where there's a load of people and a really dense setup of inns/fortresses/greenhouses, that made it pretty enjoyable. I highly doubt I'll have as much fun now that I'm back home and everything is more spread out.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Spoit wrote: »

This right here is what is killing it for me. Once you get the hang of all the other mechanics it's pretty enjoyable, but feeling like you *need* a dark detector to get anything to spawn (and therefore, needing to be near an inn) is terrible.
    The other thing that got me coming from pogo is that there is no adventure sync for portkey walking, I know pogo didn't start with it either but now that I have it in pogo I'm kinda surprised that it's not a day 1 for WU.

I was lucky enough that my first few days trying it were in Disneyland where there's a load of people and a really dense setup of inns/fortresses/greenhouses, that made it pretty enjoyable. I highly doubt I'll have as much fun now that I'm back home and everything is more spread out.

I'm not sure, but I think it might have some sort of adventure sync type functionality as a default. Yesterday I checked my portkey progress before work and had 0.4 of 2 km, yet at the end of my shift when I started the app up again, the portkey was finished. Could just be the app being wonky, though.

Edit: Now that I've played a bit more, I'm about certain this was just the GPS being wonky or something. It's definitely not counting most of my walking done outside of the app.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I’ll say this, I got a group together to do wizard challenge towers and they are SO much better than raiding.

PoGo Plus makes it pretty easy to do both though.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Hmm I got far enough in my Mew quest to evolve Magikarp but his Gyrados has the move set of Bite and Crunch

Did I get screwed? I was expecting some powerful water attacks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm I got far enough in my Mew quest to evolve Magikarp but his Gyrados has the move set of Bite and Crunch

You can always use TMs on the Gyrados to get new moves. They're kinda rare, but if you want to use Gyrados and want different attacks it's worthwhile to use them.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Cruor wrote: »

You can always use TMs on the Gyrados to get new moves. They're kinda rare, but if you want to use Gyrados and want different attacks it's worthwhile to use them.

Best gotten from raids, if that helps.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Fwiw Gyarados is still a very good water attacker with Waterfall/Hydropump. It's the best non-legacy & non-legendary option.

Water starters with their CD move (notably Feraligatr) and Kyogre are better but harder to come by/unavailable. Mudkip will probably be the CD mon for July, so if Swampert gets Hydrocannon that will also be very good, possibly better than Gyarados. It has different typing, so that will make some difference (e.g. against mon with electric attacks)

Grobian on
  • Options
    Would i be better off rolling the dice on saving up and evolving another magikarp? My TM are really limited

Also, I managed to get an exraid pass for July 1 to a location and time i can actually make, but i have no idea if I will have a team that can actually contribute

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Would i be better off rolling the dice on saving up and evolving another magikarp? My TM are really limited

Also, I managed to get an exraid pass for July 1 to a location and time i can actually make, but i have no idea if I will have a team that can actually contribute

Check to see if there's a local discord/Facebook/etc group that coordinates the raids.
    Or alternatively, show up on the dot at the raid and pray.

As for the Magikarp, other water Pokemon are good too if you've got them.
    I like Kingdra.
    I would save TMs for less common types, like Dark (good against psychic, which is every legendary) or Fighting (for against the fat gym fatties)

But once you're in a group, hopefully you can restock TMs by raiding anyhow.

• Options
    So, a bunch of stuff got datamined in the latest build by the usual folks, and looks like we're getting:

- fights with Team Rocket grunts
    - Shadow Pokemon and a purifying mechanic (in one of the Pokemon spinoff games)

• Options
    Huh, never thought I'd see Gale of Darkness mechanics come back.