As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I came in with no expectations. None at all. The only thing I knew about this game was that there's a kid in it. I didn't watch any trailers. I didn't follow any of the hype. I just ignored it till it came out, and then I bought it, because I'm a fan of the series.

The gameplay is fine. It feels like they borrowed very heavily from the Souls games, which is a series I love. I'm totally fine with the over-the-shoulder, slower paced combat of this game.

My problem is just with the story. I'm not even saying people can't change. But what I am saying is that having played all 6 games previous to this one, the character we are given is inconsistent with those games, and so far I haven't seen any justification for the change. Maybe that justification is coming. I'm only like 4 hours in. But it's a hard pill to swallow right off the bat.

And like I say, the basic premise of taking some ashes to scatter on the mountain does not feel like a very Kratos-y thing to do. He's not a sentimental guy.

You don't get to decide what Kratos is and isn't like. The writers of this game have already done that, and they disagree with you.

You will only be disappointed by the game if you think this way.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Kratos definitely showed some sentiment and emotion in God of War: Ascension.

And it's not like he killed his original family, and then thought nothing of it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    In a sense, I'm still murderous Kratos. I murder everything in my path that I can. I go out of my way to murder things instead of going up the mountain.

But I never played the previous games. Read a synposis and then went straight in and I can actually buy the character change. He's an old man now (for that time period), he's probably mellowed a bit.

I'm near the last bit of story, I think I'm just gonna finish it tonight so I no longer have to avoid spoilers for the game. I've actually done most of the side missions too though so it's mostly just finding bits of treasure and farming up stuff. Though I do have a question regarding one of the late game armors, or maybe armor crafting in general.
    So I finished the legendary dwarf king quest and can craft the armor. The only problem is only have mats for 1 of each armor piece, and I have to choose which brother to craft it, so whichever one I craft locks in the choice. There's no way to get more of it is there? It's also what's made me wary about upgrading some of the other armor pieces. Like will there be ways of buying more dust or oblivion stones? Or is there exactly enough to upgrade each piece to max, for the rarer mats?
    I don't know the limitations on how rare they end up being but you can buy some crafting resources from the blacksmiths themselves. That could be a solution to the issue

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I came in with no expectations. None at all. The only thing I knew about this game was that there's a kid in it. I didn't watch any trailers. I didn't follow any of the hype. I just ignored it till it came out, and then I bought it, because I'm a fan of the series.

The gameplay is fine. It feels like they borrowed very heavily from the Souls games, which is a series I love. I'm totally fine with the over-the-shoulder, slower paced combat of this game.

My problem is just with the story. I'm not even saying people can't change. But what I am saying is that having played all 6 games previous to this one, the character we are given is inconsistent with those games, and so far I haven't seen any justification for the change. Maybe that justification is coming. I'm only like 4 hours in. But it's a hard pill to swallow right off the bat.

And like I say, the basic premise of taking some ashes to scatter on the mountain does not feel like a very Kratos-y thing to do. He's not a sentimental guy.

The entire series up to the end of GoW 3 was Kratos destroying everything in his path for revenge, only to wind up with him left for dead on the shores of an apocalypse. Maybe something about jabbing yourself through the abdomen with a giant sword gives you a new perspective on what you've been doing for your life.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, I'm pretty far into the game at this point but in general it feels really easy to see how this dude who got his revenge and killed a whole pantheon was left with just being straight up tired when he had nothing left to fuel his rage.

The beginning of the game is meant to have you ask a lot of questions. I mean the main story is what, 20-25 hours? Expecting them to reveal everything in the first 3-4 would make it a pretty poor story imo.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    The combat is HARD! It's almost too hard, even on a relatively low difficulty setting. Maybe I just suck at games!

The difficulty feels pretty good. I say this as someone who is pretty meh at games in general so I almost always just play on normal. And the normal here seems right. Enough challenge that you totally can die, but not so much challenge that you need to be super great or master all the techniques. I have like 30,000 unspent XP and it doesn't seem to be hampering my ability to get through anything.

Watched some streams of people playing harder difficulties and they seem to be doing fine as well to the point that I imagine they'd find normal a bit too easy so that all adds up I'd say.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    The combat is HARD! It's almost too hard, even on a relatively low difficulty setting. Maybe I just suck at games!

The difficulty feels pretty good. I say this as someone who is pretty meh at games in general so I almost always just play on normal. And the normal here seems right. Enough challenge that you totally can die, but not so much challenge that you need to be super great or master all the techniques. I have like 30,000 unspent XP and it doesn't seem to be hampering my ability to get through anything.

Watched some streams of people playing harder difficulties and they seem to be doing fine as well to the point that I imagine they'd find normal a bit too easy so that all adds up I'd say.

The beginning of the game, before you get most of your kit, is significantly more challenging across the board from my own experiences and what I've read. I've been playing normal but at the point I am now everything does feel a bit too easy, though I didn't feel that way early on.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Once you get to the point in the game where you can divert from the story path and explore, if you go do that, you'll get enough xp to really open up the combat (and get more used all of it).

I really love the combat in the game myself and for the first time has me wondering if I should try some of the soul games

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Oh, huh. I just thought of something.

Kratos is covered in the ashes of his OG wife and child, he cannot separate himself from them, it's the rage that fueled his revenge mission.

Kratos is on a quest to send the ashes of his new wife to their final resting place at the side of his child, there's no revenge this time, it's grief.

That's an interesting thing right there.

It is also adds an interesting themeatic thing to why he keeps putting the journey off, doing things that he wouldn't do, stuff that prolongs the journey. The longer it takes him, the longer his wife stays with him. He's a man who holds onto an emotion and doesn't want to let go.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I like normal. The story progression enemies are not so hard that it feels like a slog but if you want to fight really hard enemies that can 1-2 shot you they're also there for you to fight.

Definitely a good idea to save the hardest difficulty for the second playthrough knowing what's available when.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean... the answer to that seems very self evident does it not?

The last wish of the person who helped him become the better man and father he is now is to scatter her ashes, he may not be particularly sentimental but it makes perfect sense that he would not ignore this wish.

I get if you aren't a fan of them making an evolution of his character, but saying that there is no justification or that it doesn't make sense is just incorrect.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think I'm a sucker for hype - even when I don't have much hype. The level of fervor around this game from the game's press a week prior to release really had me convinced that this game was gonna be something else.

Don't get me wrong. I am really enjoying the game so far. That said, there are things I'm not totally loving. While I'm sure it opens up I currently find the combat to be a bit clunky. There's also something about the over the shoulder 3rd person view that I don't love - especially in combat.

Still an amazing game. For some reason the hype just had me thinking the game was going to be 100% perfect. Which is silly on me considering that's a completely subjective thing.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I never played any God of War games (maybe an hour of God of War 2?) and had no intention of playing this one until I saw great reviews and thought I would give it a try. I love it!

I started on normal and felt like the beginning of the game was really difficult. A few hours and some skills and new armor did even it out. Now I feel like I am in the sweet spot. I think I am level 4.5 (according to the gem on the stat screen), level 6 monsters are a very tough fight and level 7 purple stuff will wreck me in one or two shots.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I absolutely, positively hated the OG God of War games (1-3 are the only ones I played). This one though? This one is pure gold. I love everything about it...... Okay maybe not the boat parts, but everything else is great. It kinda feels like RE4 without the focus on gun combat.

• Options
    I think I'm a sucker for hype - even when I don't have much hype. The level of fervor around this game from the game's press a week prior to release really had me convinced that this game was gonna be something else.

Don't get me wrong. I am really enjoying the game so far. That said, there are things I'm not totally loving. While I'm sure it opens up I currently find the combat to be a bit clunky. There's also something about the over the shoulder 3rd person view that I don't love - especially in combat.

Still an amazing game. For some reason the hype just had me thinking the game was going to be 100% perfect. Which is silly on me considering that's a completely subjective thing.

You'd think being a sucker for hype would have taught you at least one lesson by now...

Personally this game has been a really nice surprise. It wasn't even on my watch list until last month. Before I even saw anything about it I was feeling like this might be the best gaming year ever and that was without considering whatever else pops up as a nice surprise later in the year when we starting getting dates for the last few months.

I did not expect a surprise this big so early in the year. Really helping propel this year above and beyond expectations.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I honestly hadn't seen anything about the game outside of the E3 trailer. It was just the pure level of effusive praise coming out of Twitter that was literally unavoidable.

It honestly felt like the press was more excited about having the game early than the game itself.

• Options
    I honestly hadn't seen anything about the game outside of the E3 trailer. It was just the pure level of effusive praise coming out of Twitter that was literally unavoidable.

It honestly felt like the press was more excited about having the game early than the game itself.

Ya know I thought that said "I am a sucker for hype" not "I think" so I thought you were saying you are used to getting pulled into hype my bad!

That said I really do think this game has been living up to it's praise. I'm not the target for the dad thing and the emotional notes of the game are going to whiff a bit for me and I'm not even a God of War fan in general. But the game really is good. Not everything might be directly to my liking but it's hard to say it isn't doing everything it set out to do well. It's just a really really solid game.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

The combat is definitely "weightier" than the original games, which for me is a positive. I definitely understand the Dark Souls comparisons even though this combat is still much more fluid and not as truly methodical as those games. I find that the combat is one of those things that it only "opens up" if you let it. You don't really *have* to incorporate all the different styles of attacks and chaining them together. You can chose to play the game with almost the limited set you get at the beginning and I'm sure still beat it, it will just be a clunkier system. I guess what I am saying is that I think the take on combat varies with different people based on how much they delve into it.

As far as the hype level - it was (is) definitely high. I feel like it isn't necessarily because the game *innovates* in any particular way (it does within the series, but not gaming as a whole) but because it does all the things it chooses to do, really, really well. It actually reminds me of Darksiders in a way. Darksiders just cherry picked mechanics and things from other games and tossed them into a well made game.

Solid combat system (that you can engage in different levels of at your choosing)
    RPG Light mechanics
    Fun little Puzzles
    Quality Narrative
    BONUS- Return of a character/franchise a lot of people have fond memories of.

Basically a perfect storm for hype and an immensely enjoyable game.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I had no intentions of getting this game until the review embargo lifted and it was compared to Darksiders, Last of Us, and Bloodborne/Souls. Yeah, it's pretty close to those. The grandiose weight of events that happen on screen with world reveals and fights make it a home run for me. The combat is easily the worst part about the game, but it's still pretty good compared to other TPS action games. I say that because I feel that the 'Arkham' style of action games has grown pretty tired. You can only play so many action games with unlocked progression, press square for light attack, and triangle for heavy attack.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    I never played any God of War games (maybe an hour of God of War 2?) and had no intention of playing this one until I saw great reviews and thought I would give it a try. I love it!

I started on normal and felt like the beginning of the game was really difficult. A few hours and some skills and new armor did even it out. Now I feel like I am in the sweet spot. I think I am level 4.5 (according to the gem on the stat screen), level 6 monsters are a very tough fight and level 7 purple stuff will wreck me in one or two shots.
    Reading things like this make me hopeful that the game will get better as I progress. My progression in these kind of games is usually pretty slow. (Case in point, I'm about 10 hours in and only just now got to the Lake of the nine.) Level 4.5 seems like a really long way off to me.

26904.png
  • Options
    Tulabelle wrote: »

Reading things like this make me hopeful that the game will get better as I progress. My progression in these kind of games is usually pretty slow. (Case in point, I'm about 10 hours in and only just now got to the Lake of the nine.) Level 4.5 seems like a really long way off to me.

I'm a lot further than you and still under 4 so yea it'll be a long ways off probably!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sorry but I only made it to the
    mountaintop
    and this might be GOTY for me. That boss fight. The story. And really 4 hours does NOT represent at all how fun the combat is. And how many options it has.

I mean, I used to hate Revenants. Then I unlocked more ranged skills and those guys are easy as fuck.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Revenants are still fucking annoying even when you have the tools to deal with them. They're not difficult, but I still hate them.

At your point in the game it's one thing but when you're in one of the optional zones fighting them 2-3 at a time with other enemies, you learn how awful they are.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Revenants might be my only criticism of the gameplay

I don't find them fun to fight at all. Not just the incorporeal and the teleportation; they just spam so much garbage that it's a bad idea to even engage in melee, especially if there are multiples, so you just end up hanging back and spamming arrows and axes most of the time.

• Options
    Revenants and Wolvers give me so much trouble. I cannot come away from a fight with them without taking damage, which is a problem in Muspelheim :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah Wolves are the hardest mobs in the game, IMO.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Kratos is not the sentimental type. Especially since, as you might recall, he already murdered one family in Greece. That's kind of what kicks off the entire series.

What? Like..yea, it kicked off the entire series. Because he was basically tricked into doing so, he was SUPER TORN UP ABOUT IT, it literally haunted his nightmares for years, and even after going on a quest hoping to have the very memory of it happening driven from his head, threw himself off a mountain when the gods said "Thanks, but nah, we can't do that."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Kratos is not the sentimental type. Especially since, as you might recall, he already murdered one family in Greece. That's kind of what kicks off the entire series.

What? Like..yea, it kicked off the entire series. Because he was basically tricked into doing so, he was SUPER TORN UP ABOUT IT, it literally haunted his nightmares for years, and even after going on a quest hoping to have the very memory of it happening driven from his head, threw himself off a mountain when the gods said "Thanks, but nah, we can't do that."

Yea that's the other thing. I don't remember the story of the old games super well because I really didn't care at the time, but I was pretty damn sure the thing was about revenge FOR HIS FAMILY. So the idea that the same character many years later after starting over wouldn't have feelings for his new family just makes no sense at all.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah Wolves are the hardest mobs in the game, IMO.
    Huh. I run with two area control Runics and a nice big area Summon and Wolves don't tend to be a problem for me. Revenants are generally "hit with an arrow, then slam them with big attacks" and they go down quickly.

Well, I guess there are... (enemy spoiler)
    Wulvers. Those are pretty difficult.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    That's the one I meant, wolves aren't so tough once you get some decent runics/upgrade Atreus.

• Options
    As a fan of block/parry, revenant/wolves are nothing. It's the ones with unblockable attacks that are the worst.

• Options
    As a fan of block/parry, revenant/wolves are nothing. It's the ones with unblockable attacks that are the worst.

The only blocking/parrying I've done so far was standing still and parrying 100 times in a row for the xp. Then never again!

Going full dodge mode. I don't know what it is about parrying in games but I have never ever ever been able to reliably do it in combat. So I just ignore it 100% in everything where it's an option.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Some of the cone-effect light runics really make wolves easy. If you just wade in with regular attacks they can be a pain in the ass, though.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    KRATOS: boy. translate these runes
    ATREUS: they say "updog," father
    KRATOS: what do you know of this creature?
    ATREUS: what creature?
    KRATOS: "updog," boy! what is "updog?!"
    ATREUS: not much, father. what is up with you?
    KRATOS: *eyes narrowing* i will stay alert for this "updog"

SOURCE

26904.png
  • Options
    SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    For postgame
    Where do you find weapon upgrade materials? I need one more to get the axe to rank 6, which I assume is max, and I only have the blades at rank 3

I'm terrified that the answer is Muspelheim...
    Check Brok's store under resources. But yes, it's from nifl/muspelheim

PSN: Volteage
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    KRATOS: boy. translate these runes
    ATREUS: they say "updog," father
    KRATOS: what do you know of this creature?
    ATREUS: what creature?
    KRATOS: "updog," boy! what is "updog?!"
    ATREUS: not much, father. what is up with you?
    KRATOS: *eyes narrowing* i will stay alert for this "updog"

SOURCE

One of those moments where the response is better than the original tweet.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kratos in God of War 1 through 3 is fueled by hatred and revenge.He is obsessed. But in 3, he gets his revenge. All the gods of Greece are gone. This is the other side of that. He's got nothing to fight and no one to hate. With everything he'd been through I find it entirely plausible that he'd end up marrying a norse warrior woman and just trying to stay out of everyone's way.

Viskod on
  • Options
    timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just finished a great Dwarfy sidequest that I'm really glad I bothered with. (It's right after coming back from Alfheim and involves a search for some stuff belonging to Norse mythology dude
    Fafnir
    )

First of all, and I'm not sure if this dialogue is linked to the sidequest or it just happens to be when I heard it,
    Atreus shot an arrow and Kratos said "well done" which is by far the highest praise I've yet heard him offer.

And then there was a cute nod to Kratos' history, when
    they meet a ghost who was murdered by his son. Atreus is all "He killed his dad?!" and Kratos pulls this "la la la yeah who would ever do that" face.

On a more general note I'm finding the boating to be some of my favourite parts. There are kind of two sides to this game, the fighty side and the wandering through beautiful forests bonding with your son with varying levels of success side. Sitting in that boat with Atreus... those sequences will give me enduring gaming memories that stay with me for a long time.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I love that Atreus grew up isolated from everything else apparently, so he doesn't question why he can do all the cool shit he can do.

• Options
    squall99x wrote: »
    In a sense, I'm still murderous Kratos. I murder everything in my path that I can. I go out of my way to murder things instead of going up the mountain.

But I never played the previous games. Read a synposis and then went straight in and I can actually buy the character change. He's an old man now (for that time period), he's probably mellowed a bit.

I'm near the last bit of story, I think I'm just gonna finish it tonight so I no longer have to avoid spoilers for the game. I've actually done most of the side missions too though so it's mostly just finding bits of treasure and farming up stuff. Though I do have a question regarding one of the late game armors, or maybe armor crafting in general.
    So I finished the legendary dwarf king quest and can craft the armor. The only problem is only have mats for 1 of each armor piece, and I have to choose which brother to craft it, so whichever one I craft locks in the choice. There's no way to get more of it is there? It's also what's made me wary about upgrading some of the other armor pieces. Like will there be ways of buying more dust or oblivion stones? Or is there exactly enough to upgrade each piece to max, for the rarer mats?
    I don't know the limitations on how rare they end up being but you can buy some crafting resources from the blacksmiths themselves. That could be a solution to the issue

Found my answer
    Apparently if you craft one you'll be able to craft the other one for just hacksilver. Yay!