Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Old thread, like the carcass of a cored-out Locust.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think I might be terrible at mechbuilding in battletech since you have to also manage your armor values. Are there any decent guides for that? I'm very early and just received a
    centurion
    and am all ooh shiny but not sure how to outfit it properly.

2r5py1o.jpg?1

Centurion has been much better for me as a back line support unit and the LRMs are fantastic for knocking down mechs multiple times to kill the pilot.

25 LRMs? My Cent has 40 LRMs ... and has killed 20+ mechs and 25+ vechiles. When you make a LRM support mech you should just go all in.

Are you running two lrm 20s or two 15s and a 10? I’m not sure if i’ve even seen an lrm 20 in my campaign yet. Early days still.

Two 10s and one 20, found some LRM 10++s and bought a 20 from a shop early on, they are about 280k I think? I don't have Breaching Shot on my LRM boat captain so it doesn't really matter whether he has 2 or 3 LRMs, so using weapons with bonuses is the best way to go.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    *facepalm* The game's starting in on me early. Very first mission in control of the starter lance, take 3 wounds across the lance from random headhits.

Oooh boy, time to go see who's available to hire...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kelor wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think I might be terrible at mechbuilding in battletech since you have to also manage your armor values. Are there any decent guides for that? I'm very early and just received a
    centurion
    and am all ooh shiny but not sure how to outfit it properly.

2r5py1o.jpg?1

Centurion has been much better for me as a back line support unit and the LRMs are fantastic for knocking down mechs multiple times to kill the pilot.

25 LRMs? My Cent has 40 LRMs ... and has killed 20+ mechs and 25+ vechiles. When you make a LRM support mech you should just go all in.

Are you running two lrm 20s or two 15s and a 10? I’m not sure if i’ve even seen an lrm 20 in my campaign yet. Early days still.

Two 10s and one 20, found some LRM 10++s and bought a 20 from a shop early on, they are about 280k I think? I don't have Breaching Shot on my LRM boat captain so it doesn't really matter whether he has 2 or 3 LRMs, so using weapons with bonuses is the best way to go.

I mean, if I had two sets of LRM20++ dealing extra stability damage I'd run them, but I don't so I don't.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I don't have time to dig through this thread but has anybody with the black screen bug had any success finding a workaround?

Right now it's looking like might have to get a refund.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    More accurate and more heat efficient but no stability damage.

Do the +s on weapons always do the same thing? Are two LRM 15 +++s always going to have the same stats?

the +s just mean its a rare item and the more +s the 'rarer' it is.
    the same manufacturer always has the same stats on their equipment.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    I don't have time to dig through this thread but has anybody with the black screen bug had any success finding a workaround?

The paradox battletech bug forum is the best place to hunt for solutions. I saw some threads about black screen, I don't know if they have solved the problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

The paradox battletech bug forum is the best place to hunt for solutions. I saw some threads about black screen, I don't know if they have solved the problem.

No I've tried everything they have suggested so far and no luck. This is really irritating since I was one of the kickstarters.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Hmm the highlands biome makes the game unplayably laggy because of my mediocre computer. It handles everything else well on lower settings but so far that stops my game. Hope there’s not a story mission on one of them!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, played a dozen or so missions since restarting and story mission 3 is waiting.

Sitting tight and cautiously exploring seems to be the best idea for most missions.

Also, I'm not usually a guy who complains about gameplay and buggy games but headshots are broken.
    In my campaign restart over 14 missions I have had a head injury in 9 of them.

That shit is straight up broken.

Also yeah,

HEY, DESTROY THIS SCOUT LANCE, OH WAIT HERE ARE THE REINFORCEMENTS THAT YOU ARE GONNA KILL BEFORE YOU EVEN SEE THE MAIN OBJECTIVE.

come on, it's not hard to script it in sequence. Blah.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

No I've tried everything they have suggested so far and no luck. This is really irritating since I was one of the kickstarters.

You could try the betapatch but it hasn't got a fix for your problem listed. So don't get your hopes up.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-1-0-1-release-notes-beta.1092920/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    So, played a dozen or so missions since restarting and story mission 3 is waiting.

Sitting tight and cautiously exploring seems to be the best idea for most missions.

Also, I'm not usually a guy who complains about gameplay and buggy games but headshots are broken.

Also yeah,

HEY, DESTROY THIS SCOUT LANCE, OH WAIT HERE ARE THE REINFORCEMENTS THAT YOU ARE GONNA KILL BEFORE YOU EVEN SEE THE MAIN OBJECTIVE.

Head injuries are fairly common, but also not that big of a deal. I have kept a roster of 6-8 mechwarriors and just swap one or two out while the others are healing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    I’m loving this game, but after getting about about two hours in I reloaded my save at the last tutorial mission. Through bad luck and bad tactics I got fucked in that tutorial mission and lost a pilot and three mecha down. From there I could never dig out of that hole to actually be able to complete missions, so I’m starting the mission over.

Side question: where does it tell you total amount of days it will take to refit a mech before you commit to it? I was adding armor to a mech earlier and in the part breakdown it said 4 days then when Inconfirmed it it jumped to 51 days.

Stupid question but were there 47 days of other mech lab work in front of it?

There were other mechs being worked on. I didn’t notice in the tutorial stuff about it saying that the mechanic repairs were queued one after another, I thought they were worked on one at a time.

If you do one refit that takes 30 days and then do a second refit that takes 1 day, the second mech won't be ready for 31 days. However, you can reorder your tasks by clicking on the Manage Tasks button under the schedule in the upper right. Just move the second task to the top and it will finish after 1 day instead of 31.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Also yeah,

Head injuries are fairly common, but also not that big of a deal. I have kept a roster of 6-8 mechwarriors and just swap one or two out while the others are healing

Fairly common on the player. Not common against the ai.

Just had to close the game.

Reinforcements showed up immediately with the other Lance and I was 150 under.

Its just not fun.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Pro-tip:

Defensive torso twisting doesn't exactly exist in BattleTech like it does in the MechWarrior games, but you can approximate it with facing. If you've got an open component that you want to protect (CT, arm or side torso with important weapon, etc.), rotate your mech to shield your weak side with your stronger side. Combine with Brace or Bulwark for even more protection.

Just be careful not to get too close to the enemy, as they could just run up and punch you or flank with a fast unit to get a shot at your weak side.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

Also yeah,

Its just not fun.

I get mechwarrior injuries against enemies all the time. It's one fairly reliable way to pick up salvage, actually

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Also yeah,

Its just not fun.

I get mechwarrior injuries against enemies all the time. It's one fairly reliable way to pick up salvage, actually

Injuries aren't all head hits.
    Injuries against the ai happen all the time when I knock em down or blow up a torso.

What happens with the ai is that I get a small missile volley or a laser hit on a fresh mech an maybe take 20 damage but oops, head hit, get yourself to the medal bay.

It's broken.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    what's hilarious is when you get a cascade of chain injuries.

shoot the head, side torso and busted leg, injured pilot from head, injured pilot from ammo explosion, injured pilot from falling down. oh wait. pilot is incapacitated and now I own a quickdraw

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Also yeah,

Its just not fun.

Injuries against the ai happen all the time when I knock em down or blow up a torso.

What happens with the ai is that I get a small missile volley or a laser hit on a fresh mech an maybe take 20 damage but oops, head hit, get yourself to the medal bay.

It's broken.

Things that increase the chance of your pilot being hit in the head:

Taking indirect LRM fire.
    Being shot at while you're in cover like a ridge etc.
    Being shot at a lot with missiles/mgs.

The last is just numbers - if you want more head hits against the enemy, mount more missiles.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I understand it's happening because I'm playing the game.
    Is this just a normal thing and get used to it? Have 1-2 people in the med Bay after every mission?
    That's just the game?

I'll sleep on it but I am feeling now like shutting it down and coming back after a couple patches.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Main problem is that (in my relatively early game experience) you usually fight against opponents 3 to 4 times your numbers.
    Lot of small mobile mechs, all raining down fire on you, so you take lot more hits than the enemy does, so you also take lot more pilot injuries.
    Taking on two or three medium to heavy mechs, nowhere near as bad as having to take on half a dozen to dozen light mechs.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

Also yeah,

Its just not fun.

It's broken.

The last is just numbers - if you want more head hits against the enemy, mount more missiles.

SRMs have a head hit chance of 1% per missile.

LRMs have a head hit chance of 1% per volley. If the first missle hits the head, additional missiles can hit the head. But you only can get 1 injury from it. If the first missile misses the head, no subsequent missiles in the volley will hit the head.

If you want to headshot things with LRMs, you need more racks, not more missiles.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Multiple mechs with big LRM15/20 racks and maxed out stability damage is a pretty great way of causing enemy pilot injuries. The rain of indirect fire will indeed frequently cause head hits, but then you'll knock him down and cause additional injuries. If you have called shot mastery on top of that, once he's down you have a relatively good chance of headshotting.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Main problem is that (in my relatively early game experience) you usually fight against opponents 3 to 4 times your numbers.
    Lot of small mobile mechs, all raining down fire on you, so you take lot more hits than the enemy does, so you also take lot more pilot injuries.
    Taking on two or three medium to heavy mechs, nowhere near as bad as having to take on half a dozen to dozen light mechs.

If you're fighting 3-4 times your number... I'm afraid you're doing it wrong. Advance more cautiously, make use of your sensor range (which I think increases with Tactics? Or at least you get more info, like tonnage) and if you find yourself in a bad spot, back up and limit the engagement to their faster units.

LRMs have a head hit chance of 1% per volley. If the first missle hits the head, additional missiles can hit the head. But you only can get 1 injury from it. If the first missile misses the head, no subsequent missiles in the volley will hit the head.

If you want to headshot things with LRMs, you need more racks, not more missiles.

Good info on SRM vs LRM - the thing with LRMs is that the enemy units with LRMs that matter are the LRM Carriers that hang back and fire indirectly at your mechs. They've got 3 racks per unit, and anecdotally I see more torso/head hits with indirect fire than anything else.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    3a902b4s5vwm.jpg

No

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I understand it's happening because I'm playing the game.
    Is this just a normal thing and get used to it? Have 1-2 people in the med Bay after every mission?
    That's just the game?

I'll sleep on it but I am feeling now like shutting it down and coming back after a couple patches.

Yes. There is a reason why the Argos can upgrade to have 24 pilots and not just 5-6. Pilots will get injured. All the time. Guts and protective cockpits (which are pretty rare) ensures that you don't lose mechwarriors, but unless you're absolutely dominating a mission you'll get injuries. Since high sustain (the ability to do 2-3 missions per planet) is the key to making c-bills in this game I recommend that you expand your roster to at least 6 mechwarriors.

My key c-bill making tips:
    1. Get the Argos relatively quickly. It does wonders for your ability to get pilots and mechs back in shape once you hit the next planet and getting rid of the debt is good too.
    2. Prioritize mechbay points until you're down to about 10 days for a full mech refitting.
    3. The Med-bay is also worth sinking money into. You'll want recovery-times to be below 20 days.
    4. Once you get a training simulator it's good to have 10-12 pilots for both replacements and different roles.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options

If you're fighting 3-4 times your number... I'm afraid you're doing it wrong. Advance more cautiously, make use of your sensor range (which I think increases with Tactics? Or at least you get more info, like tonnage) and if you find yourself in a bad spot, back up and limit the engagement to their faster units.
    Me advancing slowly is not going to make those mechs, turrets or vehicles evaporate from the map.
    The point i was making, that you take lot more hits than the npc's.
    Because you are bigger, and thougher, but less numerous.
    And that leads to more headshots and pilote injuries.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    3a902b4s5vwm.jpg

No

more merc-ing to do now! safe universe later! possibly...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Did the Smithon mission today:
    As long as you don't get hung up trying to take out the convoy (and it's 100% ignorable unless you really want to 100% the mission), Smithon isn't bad at all really. The trick is to first run up and knock out the two LRM turrets with long range fire. Then, immediately fall back and form a kill box in the spawn area. From there, you're able to safely and easily obliterate all of the targets as they crest the hill. This will also net you both of the secondary objectives for preserving all of the crates netting you two 15% C-Bill reward bonuses.

In other news the HBK-4P is fucking terrifying. It's so crazy cool running and with a high Gunnery character that dipped into Tactics for the called shot bonus missions turn into a game of seeing how many legs you can harvest.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So maybe i should go and do thatliberation thingy.
    But i got a broken down drop ship one (two) of a kind, and a 10 million C-Bills.
    So instead, i think i'll just get this ship fixed.

• Options

Me advancing slowly is not going to make those mechs, turrets or vehicles evaporate from the map.

1. Turrets can't chase you down and Heavy LRM turrets are pretty rare. Put a mountain/ridge between you and the turrets/tanks until you're ready to deal with them.
    2. If they have to sensor lock that's one less mech/tank/turret shooting at you.
    3. The majority of mechs have very little long-range firepower, so waiting them out in cover and then overwhelming them in 2vs1 or even 4vs1 situations means that you'll be able to take out enemy mechs that won't have a chance to deliver anything but very sporadic fire.
    4. The AI is stupid. It's going to come at you, and isn't going to utilize terrain or flanking tactics.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm having terrible luck getting heavy mechs.

Lots of heavy mechs in the missions, but it's always a unique variant from the previous ones, so my bay is full of 1/3 and 2/3 heavies.

The mediums aren't cutting it anymore, not sure how much longer I can continue like this.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

1. Turrets can't chase you down and Heavy LRM turrets are pretty rare. Put a mountain/ridge between you and the turrets/tanks until you're ready to deal with them.
    2. If they have to sensor lock that's one less mech/tank/turret shooting at you.
    3. The majority of mechs have very little long-range firepower, so waiting them out in cover and then overwhelming them in 2vs1 or even 4vs1 situations means that you'll be able to take out enemy mechs that won't have a chance to deliver anything but very sporadic fire.
    4. The AI is stupid. It's going to come at you, and isn't going to utilize terrain or flanking tactics.
    I am not complaining that this is somehow unfair, or difficult.
    I am simply explaining why the player seems to get more headshots than the ai.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fuck the Jagermech so hard, what a piece of shit. I'm so mad. I paid real world money for an MC tier to get it and I hate it.

Here are a couple builds that you might check out. I seem to remember 4xAC2 Jagers were fairly well liked (to pilot...less liked when being shot at by one). The ideas here are to keep the spirit alive, but to just update the tech to what we have available these days. And, for frame of reference, I just got done playing a night of my 2-2-2 King Crab (2xRAC2, 2xLB2X, 2xAC2) and it performed fairly well (people really don't like it when their cockpit view is obscured by micro-explosions). Now, granted, a King Crab has a LOT more armor to chew through than a Jagermech...but a Jager is also considerably faster than a King Crab, so you should be able to position yourself well to provide team-based direct-fire support.

The Seeker (as in, "The Crit-Seeker")
    Metal Storm

One of my main concerns with this loadout is going to be how much ammo you have: there's not much (I'd really prefer having at least one more full ton for each...but, weight constraints.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'm having terrible luck getting heavy mechs.

Lots of heavy mechs in the missions, but it's always a unique variant from the previous ones, so my bay is full of 1/3 and 2/3 heavies.

The mediums aren't cutting it anymore, not sure how much longer I can continue like this.

Yeah the fact that salvaging mechs requires that you salvage three parts of a specific variant is getting pretty annoying.

I'm only 16 hours in but I still haven't managed to put together a single salvaged mech of any kind.

• Options

It doesn't delete them from the map, but it allows you to engage at range on your terms rather than having everything shoot you all at the same time. The fewer shots fired at you, the less damage you take. If you engage units 1-2 at a time, you get shot at less. If you run at the enemy guns blazing (and believe me, I love doing this and love short range brawling mechs so much) you take a lot of damage.

Here's an example of the worst AAR I've had. Convoy mission including a Schrek PPC carrier, SRM Carrier, Manticore x2 escorted by 2 mediums and 2 heavies.

I scouted out their escape zone, worked backwards towards them, and engaged at range to limit their return fire. Even being careful, and eliminating their two heavies from the fight until the end because they were out of range, I took a looooot of damage.
    o9ixpwks9113.jpg

Also Dekker stop being so goddamned FRAGILE.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I have to say, the Griffin is an amazing complement to a Heavy/Assault Lance

So many great flanks and spotting

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I think I'm going to break my 'near max armour on everything' rule and refit this Shadowhawk I just salvaged to mount a whole mess of LRMs on it. It can stay way in the back and just IDF, and is fast enough to move into position/out of position easily enough.

Given that I'm building Dekker to be Tactics++ Pilot+, maybe it'll be a good ride for him. In the meantime I'll probably put Set Up in it (Guts/Tactics++ pilot with an awesome irish accent) until he gets the hell out of medbay.

Question: Is there any way to check the keywords a pilot has before hiring them? All the randomly generated pilots are cool, but I'd like to know what those keywords -do-. I did pick up a unique pilot, Blockade, and a Kickstarter backer character that didn't have a ludicrous callsign. I left 'God' and 'Ice Trey' where I found them, but Flatline had a cool portrait and backstory so I picked him up when I saw him.

Also also: Knowing how to change the order of mechbay work orders is VERY IMPORTANT. You can nudge that 1 or 2 day repair to the top of the queue before the experimental refits that run into the double-digit timeframes. Helps you get ready for the next mission quickly. Also I'm keeping two lights available at all times. Lights just end up losing an arm too often that they can't reliably be repaired quickly and redeployed. I'm rotating a Jenner and Firestarter until I get a second Firestarter, I think. 2xML 6xMG is just too damned good.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Hah. If you hit F6 in the barracks menu, apparently every pilot gets one injury.

Leftover development tool or physical punishment button? You decide!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I got the fun bug where one of my mechs is stuck atop a rock at the start of the mission and unable to walk off it.

There is a solution! Reload the previous auto save, which should be right before the mission launch, and change the order of your mechs so one with jump jets is in the position that the stuck mech was in. Start mission, jump jet off, celebrate!

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Also yeah,

Its just not fun.

It's broken.

Well, that does explain why my Master Tactician LRM boat's 18% chance of hitting the head with 40 missiles doesn't translate to ~7 missiles hitting the head and insta-KO'ing the enemy pilot. I was kinda wondering what's up with that since that's one more thing the game doesn't explain. Would've been silly if it worked like that of course.

This discussion has been closed.