Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Old thread, like the carcass of a cored-out Locust.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Did a mission for salvage and carefully took apart 3 heavies. Zero casualties on my part and all in all the Mechs are in fine shape.

Mission complete Commander! Dropship inbound!

Dropship lands and kills three of my people.

I think I groaned so hard my descendants will feel it.

Did you not get the "don't move here, dropship landing zone" warning and red cicles around the affected ground movement points?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    On my restarted campaign I just beat the
    Prison mission where you get the Argo.
    This time I went in the western gate and kamea comes in the back and we just slaughtered the shit out of them. 2 mechs with minor repairs and my main character had a head shot injury because of course he did.

Feeling much better tactically after reading this thread so thank you to everyone.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I dont know who the fuck came up with the idea of balance for this game.

but dropping my team of medium mechs, against a lance of heavies, with beyond LoS support fire coming from a lance of PPC wielding light mechs, is not my idea of fun.

Cant take out the lights without dealing with/getting past the heavies.

Cant deal with the heavies cause the lights keep blowing components off me every round.

Does the map have enough room for you to run away? You should be able to leave the heavies in the dust. When the lights follow you, they'll be without their support, and you can turn and annihilate them once they are drawn away.

It could even be worth putting your sprinting to good work, putting extra distance between you and the heavies, and keeping your evasion high until the lights have been drawn far enough away.

Alternately, if there are any mountains on the map, you can jumpjet up and over them way faster than the heavies will move around it.

In my experience, the AI is not smart enough to avoid splitting their forces like this.

Was no real way to get away and out of their arc of fire. I just rage quit instead of letting the bullshit play out further.

A sure fire way to learn the solution to difficult situations.

The shitty thing is, alot of this stupid difficulty would simply be an amusing challenge if we werent limited to one lance.

Unlock lances at specific Merc Ratings or story points or something, so we cant just drop in 3 asap if you must, but jesus christ.. this is getting downright stupid.

I am deeply curious about how they'll tweak the balance of this game over time. I suspect after 2 or 3 major patches, we'll be playing a very different game. The key complaints I keep seeing are
    • Getting 3 Mech Salvage Parts shouldn't produce a fully equiped mech with weapons and equipment
    • Pilots take hits at a comparable rate as the TT game, but die far easier
    • Reinforcements show up way too earlier in ambush missions, to the point where 90% of the time you are outgunned 2 to 1.
    • The AI is stupid.
    Too early?
    Half the time i run into reinforcements before the actual targets.
    And once everyone but me is dead, i get a voice over warning about reinforcements.
    /facepalm

You are practically incentivised to hunt for the hidden reinforcements before you march on the market target area. I'm not a fan of any scenario design that practically forces you to do the opposite of the intended scenario, 100% of the time.

Just ran into this. Was taking the high ground and ran into 4 mechs. Turns out they are the reinforcement group. What sucks is they sensor locked me and the main group which was all vehicles had 2 LRM carriers. Had to start that mission over as the LRM carriers just rained death from the original spot.

I'm finding my armor is holding up well, but it's stability damage that is killing me. With 2 lances, it's hard to work with that level of stability damage.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, FYI when it comes to selling chassis:

You will get *more* money sending an active 'mech into storage and selling it than you will straight selling it for scrap. At least with local rep being neutral.

Had a Spider that was worth 208k for scrap... but selling the chassis at the local gov-run shop after storage netted ~260k, about 30% more.

So I would probably only use the scrap option if its to get rid of a mech that got blown to bits past the point it is worth rebuilding. It also means that you should *always* store newly rebuilt mechs and save them from selling later instead of scrapping them right away.

Y’know I was just expirementing with sale prices and yeah you’re right.

I assume your local Rep makes a difference too, but I’m pretty certain your Merc Compny Rep also effects prices as I get a +10% to the sell price of stuff no matter where I go.

Also, thanks to a convoy destroy mission, I got to compare the prices of a "It's only a Flesh Wound" Jenner and a fully-repaired one, and the scrap price for both is the same, and I'd have to pay almost the same price to get damaged Jenner back to the same loadout again.

So yeah, if it's an intact 'mech that you don't want, store it and then sell it, but if it's a totaled 'mech that you don't absolutely need, scrap it and bring something else up in its place.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    And now Medusa is dead.

An assassination mission ended up incredibly far heavier than expected, leaving me with my Battlemaster, Highlander, Cataphract, and Black Knight against a Locust, Blackjack, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Quickdraw, two Orions, an SRM carrier, and a Shreck PPC carrier.

Just as I brought down my assassination target, the last remaining mech, an Orion, headshotted Medusa with an AC10 in his Cataphract. Just my luck.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So at 3.5 skulls and higher, I am routinely going on missions against two lances or a lance and 4 vehicles. If you leave a spotter alive, you are going to get sandpapered/knocked down by LRMs (and maybe autocannons) from all enemies in the entire map for the first 2-3 turns. This is brutal and is leading to some super fiddly engagements. Five evasive pips isn't enough when 6+ enemies are attacking you (esp. w/ a bloody LRM carrier capping the lineup. Grr.)

I've had to eject Glitch from my brawler, max-armor Thunderbolt twice now after she gets knocked down and had 65% of her armor and maybe an arm or torso blasted off. Usually by then I've gotten 2-3 of theirs dead and I can manage who can see me better. But geez, rough going.

Relatedly, cockpit mods that reduce injury are civilization.

Well, I am loving the shit out of this game. It's just what I wanted it to be. I begged, borrowed and stole an entire work week worth of play since release. No regrets. And now I need to take a bunch of kids camping and will be afk for a day and a half. I'll miss you, baby. See you Sunday! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Can someone further in the campaign help me assess the value of these items in the shop and if they are worth my cbills? First time I’ve seen ++ items let alone +++ items and I don’t have a strong frame of reference yet:
    Large Laser +++ with +10 damage +3 accuracy for 352,000 cbills

LRM 15 +++ with +50% crit +2 stability damage for 319,000

Worth?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Can someone further in the campaign help me assess the value of these items in the shop and if they are worth my cbills? First time I’ve seen ++ items let alone +++ items and I don’t have a strong frame of reference yet:

Worth?

The first one is basically a more accurate PPC. The second one is also good.

• Options
    More accurate and more heat efficient but no stability damage.

Do the +s on weapons always do the same thing? Are two LRM 15 +++s always going to have the same stats?

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    More accurate and more heat efficient but no stability damage.

Do the +s on weapons always do the same thing? Are two LRM 15 +++s always going to have the same stats?

Nope. I habe LRMS that do extra damage and LRMS with extra crit. The number of +s is rarity or the number of affixes

• Options
    Hm. + crit seems pretty weak compared to + damage. Though if the enemy has ammo...

Decisions decisions.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Something that really factors into weapon value but isn't apparent up-front is which mechs use those weapons and in which way.

My brawler Centurion with 2xSRM6 has burned through four SRM6+ (all with +2 damage) units, because it gets up close. Sure, it doesn't get downed, but those improved LRMs I have sitting on my fire support mechs? Only been at minor risk a couple of times, worth every penny.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MWO: My first Jagermech (DD) build. The idea is I wanted some hard hitting range, and then something for if enemies gets up close. So I got two ER PPCs and six machine guns (not light nor heavy), and a laser AMS because I had the weight available for it. The machine guns are supported with four packs of ammo (stored in the feet as always because I'm pro as fuck) and I have two additional heat sinks in the shoulders with the ER PPCs. OH! And I got a 275 standard engine so that 1) my side torsos dying doesn't mean I die and 2) I could get that one additional heatsink for free capacity cost.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Iolo wrote: »
    So at 3.5 skulls and higher, I am routinely going on missions against two lances or a lance and 4 vehicles.

I’ve been struggling a bunch on a 1.5 skull where this is the case: full lance (2x35 ton, 1x20 ton, 1x55 ton), and 4 vehicles 2 of them are 60 ton missle launchers.

Just there’s no way I was going to walk out of that mission without losing a mech and a pilot.

e: to be clear, my next story mission is 2 skulls, so if I’m getting plastered in a 1.5 skull I’m just like...

I only have the starter mechs plus a Centurion CN9-A. Need to find a system to go shopping in..

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    MWO: My first Jagermech (DD) build. The idea is I wanted some hard hitting range, and then something for if enemies gets up close. So I got two ER PPCs and six machine guns (not light nor heavy), and a laser AMS because I had the weight available for it. The machine guns are supported with four packs of ammo (stored in the feet as always because I'm pro as fuck) and I have two additional heat sinks in the shoulders with the ER PPCs. OH! And I got a 275 standard engine so that 1) my side torsos dying doesn't mean I die and 2) I could get that one additional heatsink for free capacity cost.

Good luck man , I tried using the Jager but I hated it and it felt like I insta died.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So far I've been leaving my sensor/pilot guy to just sort of chill while my other 3 mechs handle the enemies. But now I'm thinking that sticking him in a Shadowhawk and using him for bait is a better plan. He gets an extra evasion thanks to the pilot perk, just load him up with SRM's and Armor, keep him up front and moving so hopefully he'll draw fire while having max evade, then he can sensor lock other mechs to lower evasion and help for my missile boat or Cent with AC20+.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think I might be terrible at mechbuilding in battletech since you have to also manage your armor values. Are there any decent guides for that? I'm very early and just received a
    centurion
    and am all ooh shiny but not sure how to outfit it properly.

2r5py1o.jpg?1

Centurion has been much better for me as a back line support unit and the LRMs are fantastic for knocking down mechs multiple times to kill the pilot.

Kelor on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Good luck man , I tried using the Jager but I hated it and it felt like I insta died.

Are Jaegerbombs no longer viable? I remember for the longest time whenever a DD popped up it was a dual AC/20 build.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    So at 3.5 skulls and higher, I am routinely going on missions against two lances or a lance and 4 vehicles.

I’ve been struggling a bunch on a 1.5 skull where this is the case: full lance (2x35 ton, 1x20 ton, 1x55 ton), and 4 vehicles 2 of them are 60 ton missle launchers.

Just there’s no way I was going to walk out of that mission without losing a mech and a pilot.

e: to be clear, my next story mission is 2 skulls, so if I’m getting plastered in a 1.5 skull I’m just like...

I only have the starter mechs plus a Centurion CN9-A. Need to find a system to go shopping in..

It's definitely just based on mission. Ive had 2+ skulls where its just lance vs lance and Ive had 1 skull where there's 12 lights rolling around in a big mob.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The one thing I'd suggest is maybe look into the LMGs. Having nearly twice the range of a regular MG could come in handy for a mech that can't readily close the distance to target.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hoooooooly shit I'm glad I tested that build in the academy before going into the field. The ER PPC heat generation is fucking insane. Two shots and I'm in the 70% range, and that's in temperate weather.

Back to the drawing board.

• Options
    Hoooooooly shit I'm glad I tested that build in the academy before going into the field. The ER PPC heat generation is fucking insane. Two shots and I'm in the 70% range, and that's in temperate weather.

How about swapping the ERPPCs for snub-noses? Something like this: JM6-DD (can use your MGs instead of LMGs since they weigh the same...figured I'd just have it kitted out that way)?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

How about swapping the ERPPCs for snub-noses? Something like this: JM6-DD (can use your MGs instead of LMGs since they weigh the same...figured I'd just have it kitted out that way)?
    Eh the point of the energy weapons was to have range, is the thing. I'm gonna try ER Large Lasers for now. But now I have 4 tons empty.

• Options

Eh the point of the energy weapons was to have range, is the thing. I'm gonna try ER Large Lasers for now. But now I have 4 tons empty.

TarCom IV?

• Options

TarCom IV?
    I considered that for a bit. But because I only get so few benefits from it... I decided to upgrade the machine guns to heavies. Heat management for the ERLLs is good, I can sustain a fight with them nonstop basically unless we creep into above 30 seconds of nonstop shooting.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Crash at AAR.

Major bummer.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I’m loving this game, but after getting about about two hours in I reloaded my save at the last tutorial mission. Through bad luck and bad tactics I got fucked in that tutorial mission and lost a pilot and three mecha down. From there I could never dig out of that hole to actually be able to complete missions, so I’m starting the mission over.

Side question: where does it tell you total amount of days it will take to refit a mech before you commit to it? I was adding armor to a mech earlier and in the part breakdown it said 4 days then when Inconfirmed it it jumped to 51 days.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I’m loving this game, but after getting about about two hours in I reloaded my save at the last tutorial mission. Through bad luck and bad tactics I got fucked in that tutorial mission and lost a pilot and three mecha down. From there I could never dig out of that hole to actually be able to complete missions, so I’m starting the mission over.

Side question: where does it tell you total amount of days it will take to refit a mech before you commit to it? I was adding armor to a mech earlier and in the part breakdown it said 4 days then when Inconfirmed it it jumped to 51 days.

Stupid question but were there 47 days of other mech lab work in front of it?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Okay, new idea. ER PPCs ran too hot to be useful. Machine guns in battle were too risky to use.

Now I'm at two medium lasers and two UAC/2s. This variant has a -20% jam chance with UACs so maybe I should be making use of that. Although that said, this kinda feels like my Bushwacker in some ways, only the weapon systems aren't centralized on the torso.

• Options

There were other mechs being worked on. I didn’t notice in the tutorial stuff about it saying that the mechanic repairs were queued one after another, I thought they were worked on one at a time.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Worth?

That LRM 15 rack is fucking great. +2 stability damage is per missile so it basically makes the LRM15 do the stability damage of two LRM 15 racks.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

There were other mechs being worked on. I didn’t notice in the tutorial stuff about it saying that the mechanic repairs were queued one after another, I thought they were worked on one at a time.

Mech repairs happen sequentially, pilots all heal up at the same time. So if you do work on three different mechs with ten days of work each, it will be thirty days before the third mech is done. The total time a mech repair/refit is shown before final confirmation. You can also stop work on a mech at any point and it will refund you the money and parts that refit would've taken, HOWEVER (and it's important to remember this) anything completed in the refit so far will still remain. That means if you did a total swap of mech weapons and halt the refit at the wrong time, the mech will be effectively unarmed because you stopped after the weapon strip and before the reequip. It can get messy if you don't remember that, because you'll end up with mechs with partial loadouts and maybe not realize it.

Healing happens all at the same time, though. Three pilots with a wound each from the same mission will all recover at the same time.

Generally, I would advise doing the longer refits while travelling to a new location. That usually takes at least near 20 days and, while you aren't able to take missions to earn money during that time, at least it isn't a total loss if you use it to work on mechs.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    You know, i'm not really sold on the story of how we got the Argo.
    It's ancient, rare one (well, two) of a kind of a ship, and they just decide to give it to a bunch of mercenaries instead of making it a flagsip of a fleet? They must have the money to buy me something else if i absolutely need a bigger a ship (and boy do i need a bigger ship).

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! Redid the last tutorial mission, and now that I understand the game better, it was a breeze.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Can someone clue me in on a particular UI element? When selecting a target to Attack, enemy mechs will have four pairs of parenthesis/brackets on either side of them, in yellow and orange. I thought perhaps it was armor/structure status of the enemy's arms/torso sections, but I'm not totally certain of that.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kelor wrote: »
    I think I might be terrible at mechbuilding in battletech since you have to also manage your armor values. Are there any decent guides for that? I'm very early and just received a
    centurion

2r5py1o.jpg?1

Centurion has been much better for me as a back line support unit and the LRMs are fantastic for knocking down mechs multiple times to kill the pilot.

25 LRMs? My Cent has 40 LRMs ... and has killed 20+ mechs and 25+ vechiles. When you make a LRM support mech you should just go all in.

Of course it has no JJs or MLs or much armor but in any procedural mission where you can go slowly and pick your fights it's just either killing stuff or at the very least knocking them down so others can kill them with called shots.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Fuck the Jagermech so hard, what a piece of shit. I'm so mad. I paid real world money for an MC tier to get it and I hate it.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    centurion

2r5py1o.jpg?1

25 LRMs? My Cent has 40 LRMs ... and has killed 20+ mechs and 25+ vechiles. When you make a LRM support mech you should just go all in.

Are you running two lrm 20s or two 15s and a 10? I’m not sure if i’ve even seen an lrm 20 in my campaign yet. Early days still.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    You know, i'm not really sold on the story of how we got the Argo.
    It's ancient, rare one (well, two) of a kind of a ship, and they just decide to give it to a bunch of mercenaries instead of making it a flagsip of a fleet? They must have the money to buy me something else if i absolutely need a bigger a ship (and boy do i need a bigger ship).
    Space fleets don't really dominate in Battletech. Moving a ship requires a jumpship, which are so valuable as to be completely and utterly taboo to shoot at; the near-loss of jumpship technology actually steered humanity away from interstellar total war, because it almost wiped out the means of making jumpships and thus would've destroyed humanity as an interstellar species. Orbital bombardment is also a major no-no, so there isn't as much of a need to secure the high ground of planetary orbit. Military space vessels do exist but almost anything valuable is down on a planet, so you need troops and mechs to go down and secure the surface. So even if you own your own jumpship (which would be insanely expensive) you could only move a handful of ships, and the ships you could move would mostly just carry ground forces. Not much reason to have a fleet for that, you just keep the ships prepped and load them when needed.

While it would certainly be quite a valuable ship, it's also completely lacking in support and has no equipment inside (such as mechs). Handing it off to a merc group that actually does have mechs wouldn't be a completely terrible idea, since the other option is sinking a lot of rebel resources into restoring it whereas mech-equipped mercs can earn the kind of money to refit a ship like that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Can someone clue me in on a particular UI element? When selecting a target to Attack, enemy mechs will have four pairs of parenthesis/brackets on either side of them, in yellow and orange. I thought perhaps it was armor/structure status of the enemy's arms/torso sections, but I'm not totally certain of that.

Those show whether or not the enemy is at optimal range for your weapons. Not really the easiest UI element to figure out on your own, and the game sure doesn't say anything about it.

This discussion has been closed.