As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Old thread, like the carcass of a cored-out Locust.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Even then, I believe the Federated Suns under Hans Davion came pretty close to unlocking HPG communications with their own slower version combined with Jumpship relays.

They did all of that once they decided to snub Comstar, and within a generation, as prior to that most great houses saw no reason to reinvent the wheel when they could rent it from Comstar, and focus their resources on military hardware and manufacturing.

The thing about the sphere's change of fortunes in the early half of the 31st century is that a young Hanse managed to obtain a wealth of information from a lost library during a raid on Halstead Station shortly after inheriting the throne. This would provide the foundations of what would become the New Avalon Institute of Science. And Comstar made several attempts on eliminating the NAIS, including a false-flag operation disguised as Capellan special forces ("Death Commandos") during the Fourth Succession War. Similarly, the explosive recovery of lostech that would occur across the Inner Sphere at large was made possible by the recovery of the Helm Memory Core by the Gray Death Legion (and more importantly, their aggressive dissemination of full copies of it across interstellar space as soon as they could to prevent its suppression).

Edit: The narrative conceit is basically that they suddenly had a couple very auspicious information recoveries by people/organizations that had begun to suspect that a lot of the past accidents & attacks weren't the acts of enemy states but another party, and so Comstar hesitated a little too long and missed their window of opportunity to stop them. After that, the whole thing was a bit of a lost cause, but they didn't simply throw in the towel, either.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is mechwarior 2 playable today and does it or any of the older games hold up well today? I remember playing it a bunch as a kid, that and one of the battle tech games. Pretty curious about how this new one shapes up.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is mechwarior 2 playable today and does it or any of the older games hold up well today? I remember playing it a bunch as a kid, that and one of the battle tech games. Pretty curious about how this new one shapes up.

MW2 works pretty well in DOSbox if you have the DOS releases from what I've heard. I think I saw that someone was making progress on a way to get the Win95 versions to run okay, but I haven't looked into it yet.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    In Solaris, a 3x RL20 Wolverine+UAC/10 is not reliable

but it is hilarious.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    In Solaris, a 3x RL20 Wolverine+UAC/10 is not reliable

but it is hilarious.

Well, there goes my plan for a RL20, 15, 10 + 2xLB5X Shadow Hawk loadout...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    For those of you not wowed by Solaris:

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Looks like the Battletech embargo is up, streams and YouTube vids are popping up everywhere. Time to spend the next 5 days fiending on this.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Reminds me.

I used to play that back in the days of KALI. There were games people set up, be a part of a Clan or a House or a Merc Squad, etc., you'd get to be known.

There was a small group of guys who decided to rep Widowmaker and I and my buddy decided to fight them as they had been taking down a lot of people.

The game happened, 2vs2, we switched opponents, I killed my opponent and my buddy got whacked by his guy. I began the duel with my new opponent and noticed my partner had taken a leg and heavily damaged him. I was damaged, but far more mobile, so started fighting him. It was then that I noticed my weapons were doing zero damage to him.

Turns out, as the damage was all done client side, we figured out these guys were altering the 'Mechs their opponents used to only use one or two small lasers, but due to the way the game worked they could only change one of their opponents. Our switching partners had messed them up. As a result, on HIS screen, I presume I had whatever he gave me...probably a small laser or just machine guns. That would explain why I literally could not hurt him as I never got close enough where that'd do damage.

My partner had put him near death so he couldn't really fight back and I wouldn't get close to him, so he suicided....but man that put a damper on future games. Luckily, most people didn't figure out how to do it or tried to do it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So today is Oosik Night. One last ride of the majority of the Oosiks and Iron Oosiks? Could we have enough for an impromptu Oosik Bash?

Only time will tell.

Crash and burn!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nips wrote: »

I thought MWLL got a cease and desist from PGI a long while back?

Campy on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Campy wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »

I thought MWLL got a cease and desist from PGI a long while back?

Technically they never got a C&D, PGI just gave them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

However now the powers that be seem fine with it. Not sure what has changed, but hey I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Even then, I believe the Federated Suns under Hans Davion came pretty close to unlocking HPG communications with their own slower version combined with Jumpship relays.

They did all of that once they decided to snub Comstar, and within a generation, as prior to that most great houses saw no reason to reinvent the wheel when they could rent it from Comstar, and focus their resources on military hardware and manufacturing.

The Black Boxes, or intersteller fax machines, is what you are refering to.

They couldnt send video or audio, only text. Even as they advanced, massively in comparison to the original version IMHO, they never were able to do more than text, though I think later versions had a range of over 1000 light years, without needing to node jump like HPG communications did.

they also were immune to the blackout that started the Dark Age.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So today is Oosik Night. One last ride of the majority of the Oosiks and Iron Oosiks? Could we have enough for an impromptu Oosik Bash?

Only time will tell.

Crash and burn!

Unless something drastic changes, I'll be there. I have a shiny new Nova Cat to try out.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    You know, if they're gonna give me my key, just let me have the full game. I hate this stupid store release date stuff in the digital age.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Another good reason to drop with us tonight in MWO.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/04/2042-free-solaris-7-champion-mech

Edit: Log in anytime between April 19th 5:00 PM PST (00:00 UTC) to May 1st 00:00 PST (7 AM UTC) .

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    went to get my free mech just now by logging in and was shown this:
    pv3wk2v6uhgz.png

I literally have no idea what I did to get this

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    what is even happening?:
    rwsurt40ix5l.png
    boy I haven't played in too long

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That last one is the skill tree update.

Um, yeah, so there's a skill tree now. Good luck.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    wait what. oh no. is it per mech or... oh god. is there like a thing I can read or just recommended skills? :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait what. oh no. is it per mech or... oh god. is there like a thing I can read or just recommended skills? :\

Energy-boating? Firepower to grab the 4 Laser beam duration; Operations to grab all the coolruns
    Ballistics? Firepower to both magazine capacities...then whatever ballistic nodes apply to your weapons (can probably ignore gauss charge...that just extends how long you can hold onto a powered up charge, which can screw with your internal timer on how the weapon works)
    Missiles? Grab all the missile nodes (high explosive for crits, missile racks for more missiles)
    IS mech with armor/structure quirks? Survivability to enhance those numbers
    For everything? Sensors to grab at least 60% radar deprivation

After those basics, sprinkle the rest of your points around based on your playstyle (for me, I'll put survivability points for my Clan heavy/assault mechs because I tend to get shot a lot). Mobility is nice to grab speed tweak and being able to twist or turn quicker (and my Mauler build absolutely needs the rotational/pitch quirks to have a more viable lethal area I can affect without moving my legs)...but, for the most part, can likely put points in the nodes that make sense to you. Just remember, 1% here or there may not seem like much...but those 1%s add up to being not insignificant.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    You know, if they're gonna give me my key, just let me have the full game. I hate this stupid store release date stuff in the digital age.

Man I don't think it's some kind of arbitrary physical media thing. They're probably going to be spending the weekend getting the build certified by the sellers and stress-testing their multiplayer infrastructure and god knows what else. I think everyone is cutting this as close to the wire as they possibly could.

Meanwhile, they're passing out keys early so people can have time before the game comes out to sort out their various logins and actually get into BackerKit, because people are idiots and back things with their third or fourth email address and then promptly forget to look at those email boxes for updates ever again (and then, when they learn the thing is out, send angry letters to the devs about RAAA WHY HAVEN'T I GOTTEN MY THING RAAAAA). This way everyone has time to sort out their shit, get their keys, and preload with a minimum of fuss.

• Options
    holy shit there are so many skills now, omg. this game used to not be super complicated which I why I enjoyed every 4 - 6 months popping in for a week or so. sigh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah the skill tree did a large part of killing this game for me.

I liked this game just as something I could pop in and out of. It’s my dumb stomps mech game. I don’t want to make like 40+ minor decisions per mech.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    holy shit there are so many skills now, omg. this game used to not be super complicated which I why I enjoyed every 4 - 6 months popping in for a week or so. sigh

So before you even get to the skills, there are 4 types of skill points.

Type 1 is per mech, and free. That's the refund from purchased skills on that mech. Redeem those first. You can't get more of these.

Type 2 is free, but can be used on any mech. That's the GXP refund. You can't get more of these.

Type 3 is per mech, and costs you 40k per skill point. Earned by playing.

Type 4 is gobal and costs 40k per skill point. Earned by playing.

When you buy a skill, it's unlocked, but if you unequip (and save) that skill, it'll cost you either mech or global xp to reapply it.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    EDIT - Wrong thread

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I liked this game just as something I could pop in and out of. It’s my dumb stomps mech game. I don’t want to make like 40+ minor decisions per mech.

It's a terrible system from the viewpoint of the people playing the game.

It's a great system from the viewpoint of the assholes in charge of PGI who don't have any problem with putting out ridiculous padding to get people to put money into the game to get around grinding.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure there is a very workable generic skill point layout in the OP. Check it out.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Yeah the new skill tree was a big confusion, but it really isn't all that bad once you figure it out and adapt it to your play style. Plus if you had a ton of skills and other stuff you probably are sitting on a ton of points that you can use on all of your favorite mechs. I still have yet to fully skill out all of the mechs I have. Just haven't gotten around to caring on some of them.

Takes a few minutes to skill one out and play though.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

It's a great system from the viewpoint of the assholes in charge of PGI who don't have any problem with putting out ridiculous padding to get people to put money into the game to get around grinding.

Well, it was designed to completely replace quirks so PGI could just wash their hands of it and pretend they had fixed balance again. The end result is that Clans get skill "quirks" now, IS lost about half of what they had and no one is happy.

The maneuverability tree is really one of the worst because it was purposefully bloated out while others lost and consolidated nodes. You can put a ton into that tree and, if your base mech stats suck, still move like a refrigerator no matter how big an engine you equip thanks to the engine desync.

• Options
    well that doesn't sound amazing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

Well, it was designed to completely replace quirks so PGI could just wash their hands of it and pretend they had fixed balance again. The end result is that Clans get skill "quirks" now, IS lost about half of what they had and no one is happy.

The maneuverability tree is really one of the worst because it was purposefully bloated out while others lost and consolidated nodes. You can put a ton into that tree and, if your base mech stats suck, still move like a refrigerator no matter how big an engine you equip thanks to the engine desync.

It also further encourages boating, as they split all the weapon bonuses into seperate nodes, instead of consolidating them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Battletech has cracked the Steam global top 10 today.

ten.PNG

• Options
    Jacob, are you Canadian?

Also I should probably grab Darkest Dungeon since it's on special.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    No, that's someone else's screenshot. I'm American. I understand that manners are a lie and all that matters is freedom. *shits self*

I'm tempted by Darkest Dungeon too, but like, what if in a year someone comes out with an even darker dungeon? What then?

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    No, that's someone else's screenshot. I'm American. I understand that manners are a lie and all that matters is freedom. *shits self*

I'm tempted by Darkest Dungeon too, but like, what if in a year someone comes out with an even darker dungeon? What then?

It's called Darkest Dungeon. I'm sure we can both safely say that that wont happen.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

It also further encourages boating, as they split all the weapon bonuses into seperate nodes, instead of consolidating them.

They did make most of the weapon skills universal, thankfully. Still, the first two trees I max out in an IS mech are Survival and Auxiliary for max Coolshot to win. You'll see lots of nodes that you can skip. It goes something like:

Survival (Full armor if armor quirked, full structure if structure quirked, skip some on lighter mechs)
    Auxiliary
    (IF ECM) Sensors
    Firepower don't get too crazy unless you are heavily boating one type
    (No ECM) Sensors to some Radar Dep, 1 Seismic if heavy, 2 Seismic and full Radar Dep if light
    Operations
    Mobility whatever's left, only get Torso Pitch if you don't have arm weapons (hi Cicada)

Finally, will Skyrim ever fall off the best seller list? Come on, its been 7 years.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Trying out Solaris... surprised how much fun I’m having.

Almost washing away some salt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    DIV2, just been running PIR-1 12x MGs against a bunch of assaults. lololololol

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    For the purposes of Oosik night, I have a full bottle of wine chilled and on standby (along with...three-quarters of a bottle of bourbon). My Iron Oosik dropship is standing by for the Oosik call to arms.

Erlkönig on
This discussion has been closed.