As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Please don't recommend anyone buy an FCA product.

They just announced they're merging with Renault too. I was going to joke that next they'll buy Zastava, maker of the Yugo but
    The company ceased all vehicle production in 2008. Since then, a new company, Fiat Automobili Srbija has taken over the Zastava Automobiles facilities

I had a Yugo 45 once. My second car. Cost me £85 and I got a year out of it. It wasn't great, but it was a far better car than its reputation would have you believe. It had character and I genuinely liked it.

There was a car reviewer that pointed out that for all its faults, the Yugo passed US safety regulations - some of the toughest in the world. There are Chinese made cars that, if imported to the US, would have to be towed because they are unable to be made street legal here.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Please don't recommend anyone buy an FCA product.

They just announced they're merging with Renault too. I was going to joke that next they'll buy Zastava, maker of the Yugo but
    The company ceased all vehicle production in 2008. Since then, a new company, Fiat Automobili Srbija has taken over the Zastava Automobiles facilities

I had a Yugo 45 once. My second car. Cost me £85 and I got a year out of it. It wasn't great, but it was a far better car than its reputation would have you believe. It had character and I genuinely liked it.

There was a car reviewer that pointed out that for all its faults, the Yugo passed US safety regulations - some of the toughest in the world. There are Chinese made cars that, if imported to the US, would have to be towed because they are unable to be made street legal here.

After some serious reworking.
    Setting up Yugo America to import the car, Bricklin assigned Bill Prior to sort out the distribution and Tony "Hurricane" Ciminera to fine-tune the Yugo for United States markets. Ciminera carried out a bumper-to-bumper audit that resulted in more than 500 changes to meet the needs of the U.S. market, including the safety and emissions improvements that United States laws demanded.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Welp. Later than hoped for, due to a combination of illness and the garage being busy, the XF is in for a new alternator since it had indeed gone kaput. And since it's going to take the garage a good three hours to do, I think I can write off the idea that that was something I could have done myself (to be fair, changing oil or sparkplugs was about as good as I ever got, and that was when my health permitted me to do so, and on older cars that were easy to fiddle with).

Still, should have it back this afternoon, all things being equal.

Annoyingly, there's this dude at the garage who I assume is now working there since he was there last time I went in too, who seems to delight in mansplaining (really the only word I can use to describe it) loudly about how Jaguars are shit and break all the time. It's the sort of thing that makes me think about re-evaluating my custom, but since this garage has always been good to me for years now, further investigation is probably warranted before I decide anything...

Edit: £404. Ouch. Could have been worse, but still.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Welp. Later than hoped for, due to a combination of illness and the garage being busy, the XF is in for a new alternator since it had indeed gone kaput. And since it's going to take the garage a good three hours to do, I think I can write off the idea that that was something I could have done myself (to be fair, changing oil or sparkplugs was about as good as I ever got, and that was when my health permitted me to do so, and on older cars that were easy to fiddle with).

Annoyingly, there's this dude at the garage who I assume is now working there since he was there last time I went in too, who seems to delight in mansplaining (really the only word I can use to describe it) loudly about how Jaguars are shit and break all the time. It's the sort of thing that makes me think about re-evaluating my custom, but since this garage has always been good to me for years now, further investigation is probably warranted before I decide anything...

Well, Jaguars don't have a good reputation for reliability, that is true.

It's best if the staff of the garage avoid loudly proclaiming their opinions on the subject within earshot of Jaguar-owning clientele, though...

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Well, Jaguars don't have a good reputation for reliability, that is true.

It's best if the staff of the garage avoid loudly proclaiming their opinions on the subject within earshot of Jaguar-owning clientele, though...

Reminds of an acquaintance of mine who works in a Jaguar repair shop his mom owns has advised friends to not buy a Jaguar or Land Rover when they ask him for car shopping advice.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    *sigh*

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    350 hp Lada Niva in Azerbaijan, a car that usually makes 85-90hp. It's all in Azerbaijani with no translation but a couple of notable spots, 3:00, the huge scorch on what seems to be either vibration or noise dampening panels on the hood, because of the huge turbo. 4:20, he stalls it pulling out of the parking spot. 4:38 he stalls it again. 7:52, "launch control" is the same in every language, 8:00 he launches it. 9:50 he launches it again. 11:35, launch with an exterior view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jaUAasX0vc

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Over the course of my entire life, I have never heard of Jaguars as anything but unreliable and expensive to fix. And I don't mean like the typical Ford/Dodge/Chevy rivalry crap where build quality shifts around, I mean I've always heard of Jaguars as problems, ever since I was a little kid.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Over the course of my entire life, I have never heard of Jaguars as anything but unreliable and expensive to fix. And I don't mean like the typical Ford/Dodge/Chevy rivalry crap where build quality shifts around, I mean I've always heard of Jaguars as problems, ever since I was a little kid.

Which is a god-damned shame, because Jaguars are such nice cars (at least the better ones are, I'm not counting a rebadged Mondeo as a Jaguar no matter how much you want me to).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Which is a god-damned shame, because Jaguars are such nice cars (at least the better ones are, I'm not counting a rebadged Mondeo as a Jaguar no matter how much you want me to).

Stuff like this is why I'm very curious how a lot of the luxury makers' electric vehicles will turn out. With fewer parts that can break, they might end up easier to live with than the internal combustion engine offerings.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Case in point:
    Jaguar
    V-12

*shudders*

• Options
    Without the XJ-12 there'd be no Draguar so...

N3R6KXq.jpg

worth it.

Ok yeah it's been engine swapped for a Chevy 350 small block but, semantics.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

Still feels like the typical grass is greener talk for mechanics that specialize in certain types. You hear stuff about almost every brand. BMWs have never ending electrical problems. Audi's engines blow up. Regular maintenance on a porsche will cost you as much as full rebuilds of other brands. Etc

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    All this because I mentioned a gobby bloke at a garage and a new alternator (which, let's face it, is a thing that can happen to any car of a certain age). :lol:

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I assume it's gotten better now that they've changed, but Jaguar like many British marques did use godawful, unreliable Lucas electrics for decades.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My first car that I bought with my own money was a well used ‘85 Jaguar XJS. It was glorious. V12 was buttery smooth. My dad helped rewire the rats nest of stock electronics under the hood. It’s surprising they all didn’t burn up in a heap.

But it did eventually become too expensive to upkeep as a first vehicle. Loved it though.

• Options
    That's one hell of a first car. The V12 too!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That's one hell of a first car. The V12 too!

It was a dream car especially compared to the parent provided Pontiac Grand Am I was cruising in before.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    If that was your first car I'd love to know what you're driving now.

edit: also this isn't [chat] but that is a hell of a first car and I couldn't help commenting on it

Trace on
  • Options
    Realize that it was my first car but I was definitely not that car’s first owner.

I now proudly drive a 2019 Subaru Ascent. Wife is still rocking the 2011 Subaru WRX hatch that I desperately want to take to the track/rally but she’ll never give it up who am I kidding.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Since it looks like I've become the crazy EV guy of the forum, Ford Mustang EV stuff got revealed early:

https://insideevs.com/news/382397/ford-reveals-mustang-mach-e/

Summary quote from EV subreddit which has a habit of contextualizing everything via Tesla:
    First Launch Edition: 270mi EPA range, ~5.5s 0-60, AWD, $52k after tax-rebate. This is squarely aimed at the AWD LR Model Y, which as 280mi EPA range, 4.8s 0-60, AWD, $50k tax-rebate. Slightly worse specs but it also seem to come with special upgraded interior/exterior trim, and the interior quality does look more upscale.

California Route 1 Trim: 300mi EPA range, ~6.5s 0-60, AWD, $45k after tax-rebate. This is even much better value than the LR RWD Model Y at $48k (the Model Y is 1s faster 0-60, but only RWD vs. Ford's AWD).

Select trim: 230mi EPA range, ~5.5s 0-60, RWD/AWD, $36k after tax-rebate, this undercuts any announced Model Y model and would be a great second car/first EV for many families.

Performance GT trim: 235 EPA range, 3.5s 0-60, AWD, $53k post tax-rebate. 45mi shorter range than the Performance Model Y but also $8k cheaper.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The stats for value look pretty solid, any word on how many they're planning on making?

Seal on
  • Options
    Seal wrote: »
    The stats for value look pretty solid, any word on how many they're planning on making?

Official reveal is Sunday, so we'll probably get that then.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's about goddamn time Ford made a full EV. I just wish it was a $30k EV Fiesta not a $50k (before rebates) muscle car.

I am so frustrated at the lack of options for small, cheap EVs in the US. We're not getting the VW ID3. The Kia and Hyundai EVs are both crossovers and start in the high $30ks before tax rebate. You still can't get a $35k Model 3. Even if you could, Tesla losing the full $7500 tax rebate makes the value prospect all the less attractive. If the BMW i3 were about 30k cheaper, it might be on the short list.

What does that leave us with? The Nissan Leaf and the upcoming Mini Cooper SE. Now there is some pretty valid criticism that can be leveled at both of the Leaf and the Mini. The Leaf is kind of wimpy at the $30k price point. It doesn't exactly thrill with it's handling. The biggest problem, and the deal breaker for me, is the lack of thermal management on the battery system. The battery compartment does have a heater to keep the sweet electrolytic juices from freezing up, there is no way to get rid of heat once it's generated. This severely limits it's charging and performance capabilities, mostly on longer trips.

hkgeojo8lfnf.png

The upcoming 2020 Mini Cooper SE is far from perfect but I think it checks enough boxes for me that I think I'm going to get it this spring. The first and most glaring criticism is the range. It'll likely only do around 140 miles on a single charge. Relating to the range, another criticism is that the Mini shares the same battery pack and electric drivetrain as the BMW i3. Other criticisms mostly concern styling and availability. None of these are big problems for me, though. I've been keeping track (in the back of my mind) of my driving habits for a while now. I hardly ever drive 140 miles in an entire day, much less at one time, without stopping. The farthest I ever drive to on a regular basis is a client's office about 75 miles away. If I'm going out there, I'm going to be out there for most of the day, giving me time to at least slow charge at 4 miles per hour. I know a lot of the grocery stores around here have EV chargers. Looking at charging station maps, they are littered about, almost everywhere I go. All that's to say, I don't think I'll really be dealing with range anxiety. Next, I actually see the use of the BMW battery and electrical system as a positive. It's a proven design. We know it works and it will be suppremly reliable for years to come. Say what you will about the i3; It's ugly, it's too expensive, it's not got great range. It's been a really reliable (especially for BMW) car. They designed a drivetrain that is zippy, efficient and reliable. Any problems with the design were ironed out years ago. Mini is using a proven design for the Cooper SE. There isn't going to be any of this "beta quality" bullshit that plagues new EV designs. This drivetrain is designed in such a way that it can be integrated into the standard Mini Cooper body. That will vastly simplify the manufacturing process. Instead of building a brand new line and specially training the entire line to build a specialty vehicle, you can just throw SEs into the standard production line. They just bring a different engine and a bolt-on battery pack to the floor when an SE body comes along. This will help with parts availability so if something does break it will be cheap and widely available, likely with numerous aftermarket options.

67c35z50j06r.png

The first thing that really drew me to the 2020 Mini Cooper SE was the price. Before tax rebates, it will run you a cool $30k. If you only get the $7500 tax rebate, you're down to $22,500. That's cheaper than the petrol Mini Cooper and down there in cheap sub-combat territory. Electricity around me is cheap and will soon be a lot cleaner. (Our local power plant is being upgraded from coal to natural gas as I type this. Right now we're running off nuclear from across the state.) Charging will be cleanish and WAY cheaper than gas. EVs hardly ever need maintenance, further lowering the overall cost of ownership. I get mileage reimbursement at work, for which most of my car's miles are spent. My Fiesta already didn't cost 55¢/mile to operate. An EV will swing that even more dramatically in my favor. I don't know if I'm going to actually work all the numbers exactly but the 5 year cost of ownership looks like it will be significantly lower than my 2014 Fiesta.

ry774eo6yaf3.png

And that's only the cost. The upcoming Mini looks pretty cool to me. I especially like the wheels. It's about time we saw some futuristic wheels on a production car. The neon accents are a nice touch, IMO. It's a Mini so the driving experience is paramount. The word from the people who have driven it, is It's got a pretty reasonable amount of horsepower and torque so zipping around town, through traffic will be a breeze. You're not going to be winning any drag races against Teslas with ludicrous mode but I won't be wanting for power when accelerating onto the highway like may $23k cars. People are saying it handles extremely well, thanks to its low center of gravity and excellent steering capabilities.

8gcenziyyzlh.png

So, yeah. I think I'm sold on this car. It checks all the right boxes and it's positives vastly outweigh the negatives for me.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    FWIW, the Niro is classified as a crossover, but it's really just a station wagon, tbh.

No arguments on price, though.

• Options
    I was actually kind of excited for a muscle car type EV, but that is not a muscle car. They basically made a crossover. Putting the mustang badge on it is just a slap in the face to people who like mustangs. I guess this is the loophole Ford found to get rid of one of it's last sedans it sells in the american market. Just slap the badge on everything until people forget what it used to be.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A slap in the face? Like, I get it, you aren't a fan, but a slap in the face?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The performance one does 0-6 in the 3 second range. I think that's enough fast to get "cred"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jaguars have gotten a lot better. When they were under Ford it was probably the worst for the brand. They still require additional love though versus a Toyota. At least it's not an Alfa!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Jaguars have gotten a lot better. When they were under Ford it was probably the worst for the brand. They still require additional love though versus a Toyota. At least it's not an Alfa!

Jaguars are better because they are using that Ford V8. Remember the old AJS V8 they used to use? Sounded great, drank like a sailor, was about as reliable as a Republican congressman's "family values", and didn't actually make that much power, to be honest.

I will admit, that "Jaguar" model which was just a re-branded Mondeo (the X-type?) was a bad idea, but the company and their cars are in a vastly better place after the Ford ownership saga than they were before.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    S-type, X-type, and XF are all on Ford platforms

The X and XF share a platform with the Mondeo, the S with the old Ford Scorpio

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I mean, I was being hyperbolic. But I do kind of think if you’re a huge fan of mustangs, putting the badge on something that’s clearly not one is kind of sad.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Jebus314 wrote: »

I mean, I was being hyperbolic. But I do kind of think if you’re a huge fan of mustangs, putting the badge on something that’s clearly not one is kind of sad.

I'm a fan of mustangs, and I think the early 90s Mustang is hilariously not a Mustang (4 cyl econobox? Really?), yet it is beloved by many Mustang enthusiasts.

This will appeal to some, not others, but it's a brand. It goes on whatever they want.

EDIT: My mom is a huge Mustang fan and she says the current Mustang isn't a Mustang and looks dumb.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    They are clearly going for the high end Model 3 or Model S crowd with the Mustang E. I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking the interior was that of a Model S. I don't think Ford is trying to win over any piston Mustang converts. I love the design and styling. It's probably be a blast to drive and will absolutely destroy a piston mustang at the track. I'm more looking forward to seeing what Ford's next few EV offerings will be. Can they followup the Mustang E with a Focus E or a Fiesta E? I know a lot of people who are looking forward to Ford's EV Pickup that's on the horizon. They've got a lot of ground to cover, though. Tesla has a decade headstart and a near cult-like following. LIkewise GM and Nissan are way ahead. Even BMW, VW and Mini will (or already have) have products people can and will buy. Ford on the other hand has never made a fully electrified vehicle outside of shitty compliance cars. I hope their experience with plug in hybrids will help kickstart the conversion.

• Options
    edited November 2019

I'm a fan of mustangs, and I think the early 90s Mustang is hilariously not a Mustang (4 cyl econobox? Really?), yet it is beloved by many Mustang enthusiasts.

This will appeal to some, not others, but it's a brand. It goes on whatever they want.

EDIT: My mom is a huge Mustang fan and she says the current Mustang isn't a Mustang and looks dumb.

Everyone has opinions this is true. But you can’t tell me that a crossover has any business being classified in the same category as a muscle car. It just isn’t the same thing!

That doesn’t mean it’s a bad car. It could even be a great car. But if you’re going to call a sports car and a crossover the same thing, then brands have ceased to mean anything about the type of car you’re buying. Why name them at all? Just call them all Fords.

Jebus314 on
  • Options

Everyone has opinions this is true. But you can’t tell me that a crossover has any business being classified in the same category as a muscle car. It just isn’t the same thing!

That doesn’t mean it’s a bad car. It could even be a great car. But if you’re going to call a sports car and a crossover the same thing, then brands have ceased to mean anything about the type of car you’re buying. Why name them at all? Just call them all Fords.

I mean, that's basically what's happening.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Eh, the fox body has fans, but I've never met a fan of the four banger unless it was the turbo one.

• Options
    I just mean the fox body is not a muscle car. At all. Even a little. Regardless of what's under the hood.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    They are clearly going for the high end Model 3 or Model S crowd with the Mustang E. I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking the interior was that of a Model S. I don't think Ford is trying to win over any piston Mustang converts. I love the design and styling. It's probably be a blast to drive and will absolutely destroy a piston mustang at the track. I'm more looking forward to seeing what Ford's next few EV offerings will be. Can they followup the Mustang E with a Focus E or a Fiesta E? I know a lot of people who are looking forward to Ford's EV Pickup that's on the horizon. They've got a lot of ground to cover, though. Tesla has a decade headstart and a near cult-like following. LIkewise GM and Nissan are way ahead. Even BMW, VW and Mini will (or already have) have products people can and will buy. Ford on the other hand has never made a fully electrified vehicle outside of shitty compliance cars. I hope their experience with plug in hybrids will help kickstart the conversion.

Highly unlikely, considering the raised ride height and the fact that the base V8 outguns all of the claimed straight line specs of the EV. I suspect even the cheapest Ecoboost models would beat it around a track.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I figure this is the thread to ask.

If I wanted to get a digital tire pressure gauge (I am tired of my old one), what brands should I aim for/avoid?

Is there a good price range to look for?