As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Handy with a wrench? Alternators are pretty simple to replace, and Rock Auto shows a new one at $160+core. (I assumed a 2012 5.0 nonturbo, YMMV)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nope. Not at all, unfortunately. And it's a 2010 3.0 V6 turbo diesel - not sure if that makes it better or worse, cost-wise.

I'll be having a word with my friendly garage on Monday morning.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Hit 200k miles in the GTI today.

dLryNXk.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I still miss my Mk V GTI sometimes...

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I don't miss my Mk6 that much but I really enjoyed my time with it. I do regret spending the money on an AWE Tuning turbo back exhaust (fitment issues and the 2.0 doesn't sound very good) but the APR stage 2 tune was money well spent.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    For the first time in my life I bought a car that wasn't a beater last year, a 2018 Honda Fit.

Lately I've had to drive a ton for medical appointments. It's averaging 37.4 MPG. I've never cared about a car until now.

I did the same for the second time in my life. Picked up a 2016 Buick Encore to replace my '03 Century.

I was very much looking to get a Fit and then I saw one in the parking lot at work and realized I would be shit out of luck once winter hit because the side streets to get to our house would have literally been impassable for a Fit for almost three months last winter.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just bought my first set of winter tires ever for my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.

Got the Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 from Costco thanks to their sale.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    That's a solid choice. I've had DM-V1s on my wife's Tahoe for 3 years now, they'll be going back on in the next couple weeks most likely. The truck is an absolute beast in the snow, makes the 4WD practically redundant.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Memories of surviving five Utah winters with my '95 Trans Am. And (for reasons) couldn't put winter tires on it.

The best moments were the ones where I had to take corners sideways just to get around them at all.

Good times.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Memories of surviving five Utah winters with my '95 Trans Am. And (for reasons) couldn't put winter tires on it.

The best moments were the ones where I had to take corners sideways just to get around them at all.

Good times.

Those cars were actually pretty great in the snow with the right tires. I did 5 winters in my 97 Z28, same engine/drivetrain. Threw some narrower General Arctics on it as it was awesome. Only time I ever got stuck was when I beached it in 10+ inches of fresh powder in a parking lot, haha.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just bought my first set of winter tires ever for my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.

I want to steal your truck.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I want to steal your truck.

It's really nice! My first truck so I wanted midsize because upgrading from a hatchback made everything look like a tank.

My only regret so far is I didn't anticipate 2020 having Android Auto installed. I think I'd like to get that installed but not sure what kind of place to take it to.

There's a few like, car audio joints in town, but they look pretty sketchy.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I'm debating giving my performance all season tires a try before I spend the money on snows this year. I had a separate set of wheels and snows for my GTI but with that gone, and for that car before that winter tires I swapped on and off with the stock rims. Dedicated snow tires are wonderful here in Upstate NY but I've also made due just find with good all seasons.

I'll probably still just spend the money and get them, but wanting to stick with the stock rims this time does really limit my options. A dedicated set of rims is cost prohibitive right now but I can afford the $1000 for the staggered set of 18" snows. My choices are pretty much just Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, and the new Blizzak WS90's. I'm leaning towards the PA4's since they're tried, tested, and very good and not much more expensive that the WS90's.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Will base model golf wheels fit a GTI? That would be my go to.

I traded the GTI in for a Lexus IS350 F Sport back in April with the winter wheels and tires because the dealership wanted $200 to swap my summer wheels on (hell no!). So now I have a set of wheels and tires of totally no use to me taking up space in my basement.

Anyone need a set of 17" Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2's with Conti DWS-06's with 30k miles on them? Likely the one of only set of those wheels in GTI fitment in the US. I figure I'll give Facebook Market a try and see if I can get a few hundred for them. I could try now since they might be of interest to someone needing a -1 wheel size from stock for winter tires or whatever. Or just wait until spring because they have all season tires mounted. Not sure honestly.

Cormac on
  • Options
    I like those Contis, they've been great daily driver tires on my Cruze.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Just put new tires on my 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport and holy crap i didnt realize how bad my old tires had gotten. Its like i bought a new truck.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Will base model golf wheels fit a GTI? That would be my go to.

Base model Golf 16 inch steelies won't fit over the brakes fitted to the GTI, no. GTIs come with 19 inch alloys these days.

• Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    Hey Folks,

My family is about to make the great leap from 1 kid to suddenly 3 kids. Which means none of the vehicles we have will support the number of car seats we need. The vehicle search has begun. Now there are some constraining issues which limit the search somewhat.

1. We are both track rats. Between our Miata(89), A4 (03, not really a track car) and an M3(e36) we have a deep love of cars and going fast in them, and turning while going said fast in places where it is legal to do so. We know we won't get the balance, or swiftness of our track cars but we want something that doesn't feel like a lumbering heap.
    2. Ethically we would prefer something with greater than 30+mpg. We are willing to make compromises but it's hard to accept buying into old models of transportation that should really not be around anymore.
    3. Cargo space. Turns out three kids under 3 requires a ton of storage space for all the crap they need. Also three car seats are pretty hard to cram into a single bench, but getting over middle rows to back benches is almost worse.
    4. Cost. Turns out I need to buy a new house too.

Needless to say we are going to have to make some compromises. So far:
    Metris: It's a gas hog, but man is this a sweet vehicle. None of the doodads that fill modern minivans, I prefer that actually. Drives great, and is a simple vehicle. Will do everything we need. Pricier but not as bad as I thought.

Mazda 5: Smaller, still not great gas economy somehow. Smaller vehicle and can be had for 8-10k. Nearly no cargo space, but the middle seats can be removed (bolts) to provide more space. MANUAL transmission.

Rav4 Hybrid: Drives OK. It's a toyota. OK gas mileage for a SUV, the newest models have much better (mpg) but are a bit out of range price wise.

I've also toyed with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and the standard Sienna.

Basically I'm packaging all of my worry and anxiety about having twins into this freaking car buying excursion. Folks with kids, what the hell do you drive and why should I just go out and buy a 2006 Town and Country for nothing?

• Options
    Congrats!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    What's your price range? Minivans are fucking magical, but given that you're track rats a larger 3 row may be better as it can do double duty as a tow rig.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I was in a similar situation, although not as much of a track rat, just some autocross here and there, and not as many kids (just the one for now). High five for miata ownership though (1.8l NA here, 96)! I really wanted something more sporty, but ultimately the fun cars were just kind of impractical.

I looked at the the CX-5 but I remember reading it was a little gutless on acceleration, and just typical handling for a crossover. I never get a good feel during test drives but it didn't seem super amazing. This was for a 2018 though, supposedly the 2019 has a turbo now.

I really wanted to do a hot hatch like a mazda 3 or fiesta st, but they were too small.

I've driven some slightly older sienna's (2015). They are nice and roomy, but they drive like a minivan. definitely easy to get kids in and out though. There really is no comparison for space. Moving kids around is what minivans were built for.

Wife test drove the Rav4, said it was fine as a comfy car, but ultimately I didn't see the point in going for a hybrid, with all the potential for extra maintenance, just to get basically the same gas mileage as other crossovers.

Ultimately we ended up in a CR-V. It's nice, has a little pep, but honestly I am skeptical it would fit 3 kids comfortably. I know my sister had 3 kids in a 745li (74.8" wide), and that seemed just barely ok, versus the CR-V's 73" wide.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    What about a Ford Flex? The Baruth brothers have used one for race car towing and family duty.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Troy wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

My family is about to make the great leap from 1 kid to suddenly 3 kids. Which means none of the vehicles we have will support the number of car seats we need. The vehicle search has begun. Now there are some constraining issues which limit the search somewhat.

1. We are both track rats. Between our Miata(89), A4 (03, not really a track car) and an M3(e36) we have a deep love of cars and going fast in them, and turning while going said fast in places where it is legal to do so. We know we won't get the balance, or swiftness of our track cars but we want something that doesn't feel like a lumbering heap.
    2. Ethically we would prefer something with greater than 30+mpg. We are willing to make compromises but it's hard to accept buying into old models of transportation that should really not be around anymore.
    3. Cargo space. Turns out three kids under 3 requires a ton of storage space for all the crap they need. Also three car seats are pretty hard to cram into a single bench, but getting over middle rows to back benches is almost worse.
    4. Cost. Turns out I need to buy a new house too.

Needless to say we are going to have to make some compromises. So far:
    Metris: It's a gas hog, but man is this a sweet vehicle. None of the doodads that fill modern minivans, I prefer that actually. Drives great, and is a simple vehicle. Will do everything we need. Pricier but not as bad as I thought.

Mazda 5: Smaller, still not great gas economy somehow. Smaller vehicle and can be had for 8-10k. Nearly no cargo space, but the middle seats can be removed (bolts) to provide more space. MANUAL transmission.

Rav4 Hybrid: Drives OK. It's a toyota. OK gas mileage for a SUV, the newest models have much better (mpg) but are a bit out of range price wise.

I've also toyed with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and the standard Sienna.

Basically I'm packaging all of my worry and anxiety about having twins into this freaking car buying excursion. Folks with kids, what the hell do you drive and why should I just go out and buy a 2006 Town and Country for nothing?

Have you looked at something like a used Highlander hybrid? They can be a bit hard to find but get close on the mileage and have more space than the Rav4.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    What's your price range? Minivans are fucking magical, but given that you're track rats a larger 3 row may be better as it can do double duty as a tow rig.

Price Range is 10 to 25k. I'd prefer under 15k as I could buy it outright with out impacting my current finances. I'll take another look at the minivans, but I think you are right a larger 3 row may be the vehicle for me. Even though the track is not likely a destination for a few years.
    Cormac wrote: »
    What about a Ford Flex? The Baruth brothers have used one for race car towing and family duty.

I hadn't even considered the Flex, Seeing as how it's going out of production I wonder if I can score a decent deal on a newish one. It's ugly as sin, but I could care less.
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation, although not as much of a track rat, just some autocross here and there, and not as many kids (just the one for now). High five for miata ownership though (1.8l NA here, 96)! I really wanted something more sporty, but ultimately the fun cars were just kind of impractical.

I looked at the the CX-5 but I remember reading it was a little gutless on acceleration, and just typical handling for a crossover. I never get a good feel during test drives but it didn't seem super amazing. This was for a 2018 though, supposedly the 2019 has a turbo now.

I really wanted to do a hot hatch like a mazda 3 or fiesta st, but they were too small.

I've driven some slightly older sienna's (2015). They are nice and roomy, but they drive like a minivan. definitely easy to get kids in and out though. There really is no comparison for space. Moving kids around is what minivans were built for.

Wife test drove the Rav4, said it was fine as a comfy car, but ultimately I didn't see the point in going for a hybrid, with all the potential for extra maintenance, just to get basically the same gas mileage as other crossovers.

Ultimately we ended up in a CR-V. It's nice, has a little pep, but honestly I am skeptical it would fit 3 kids comfortably. I know my sister had 3 kids in a 745li (74.8" wide), and that seemed just barely ok, versus the CR-V's 73" wide.

Yeah I think that might be tight. I brought a couple car seats out to a Rav4 at a dealer and they just barely fit. I'm really not sure I want to do that song and dance.

Also, return High Five. Miata's are a freaking blast. Last track event we had three other groups with early year spec, it was a blast, the most fun I've had in that car. Ours has been a track car since 89, it's insane how durable they are.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Just get a motorcycle with a sidecar. You'll be fine.

See that's how I'll be getting to work 7 months out of the year (This is where my wife kills me).

I'm leaning heavier toward the Metris. That thing could tow my Miata no problem. Also It has room for days. I could offset my carbon use by biking to work or something, and I don't know, getting some solar panels. Maybe a stern letter to my congress person about coal use.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Check out the Honda Odyssey too, they're pretty dope (caveat I dont have an Odyssey or children). Super comfortable, pretty decent power, and you can get them with a vacuum system.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So much for having a car with no real problems for the last 2 years...

This morning, we got a bit of freak weather in the form of ice and snow. I went out early and heated up the car, then let it sit while I was home working.

When I went out this afternoon, I noticed water dripping down from the overhead lamp. Now, I'm not unfamiliar with this - one of my past cars had a major issue with condensation on the inside of the windshield. But.. I was hoping this car was beyond it.

My best guess is that something in the sun roof is clogged or otherwise not draining properly. Which is made worse by my choice not to repair the motor on the sun roof, because it would have cost $500+ or so. So now I'm sitting here worried that if the car gets water in there, and freezes into ice, it'll expand and cause more damage or something.

What was really fun was taking corners, where water would come out of the seam between the carpet roof and the plastic shell that hides the metal of the door.

E0akyDVh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    @Troy

I have two kids and love track driving! Three is a little tougher but still doable I think.

My personal favorite: Chevy SS sedan. 400hp, manual transmission, RWD, huge trunk, LATCH anchors in all three seats in the back row. I owned one for two years and adored it, but sadly had to give it up this year when I got laid off. It is however a bit pricy.

Pontiac G8 GT/Chevy Caprice PPV: almost identical to the aforementioned SS, but half the price. Sadly no manual option, though the auto isn't awful.

Cadillac CTS wagon: huge trunk since it's a wagon, but still has solid driving dynamics. Can be had in RWD or AWD. Get the 3.6L V6, the 3.0 manages the amazing feat of having both less power and worse gas mileage. (Get the 6.2L V8 if you have lots of money)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    @Troy, I know it's out of your cash buying range but a newer Honda Odyssey Elite is worth a look, even if you have to finance it. You might be able to find a good deal on a used 2018. Doug DeMuro had a lot of good things to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZ_Q6qzXuw

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Search for slightly used CX-9s as well.

And, if you dont mind ugly, the good ol Accord Crosstour is a very viable option for you. All the good parts about an Accord, and....well.....you only have to look at it when you approach it, and the interior is nice.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    @Troy, I know it's out of your cash buying range but a newer Honda Odyssey Elite is worth a look, even if you have to finance it. You might be able to find a good deal on a used 2018. Doug DeMuro had a lot of good things to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZ_Q6qzXuw

The Elite is $50k, like the Pacifica Hybrid. I have a 2019 EX-L and it has everything that matters for low-$30s, but it is still well outside of OPs stated price range.

You will have a rough time getting 3 carseats in to one row unless you buy fairly expensive models that are still safe without being as bulky. The advice for a 3-row rings true.

Flex is a good idea.

If you want the cheapest new Minivan, there's the Dodge Grand Caravan, which is cheap as hell but kinda bad.

• Options
    All this talk of minivans is reminding me of my former sister-in-law's old Chevy Venture. Not a stylish vehicle in any way, but I was pleasantly surprised by how quick it was.

• Options
    I have an Odyssey EX-L of the prior gen and it's great. It is an amazing people and stuff mover, is comfortable in any seat and drives better than you might think.
    Just remember it's a utility vehicle, not a passion one. Siennas were ok, but the Toyota tax is real and they honestly didn't drive as well nor did they feel as well thought out. Don't spring for the entertainment, as the premium it adds is usually better spent on iPads (it's a 3k option).
    If you are think sedan or non 3 row, look into dionos as they're skinnier than other offerings.
    If you're looking to save money apparently the Kia vans aren't bad either and Chrysler ones are pretty solid.
    Also: spring for weather tech mats. Trust me on this one.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    BTW, one thing to consider is seat size - there.are variations out there, and some are narrower than others, specially once they are out of the bucket ones. I believe we ended up getting some diono seats for the limited width.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Please don't recommend anyone buy an FCA product.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

They just announced they're merging with Renault too. I was going to joke that next they'll buy Zastava, maker of the Yugo but
    The company ceased all vehicle production in 2008. Since then, a new company, Fiat Automobili Srbija has taken over the Zastava Automobiles facilities

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Vans are the one thing they've done well pretty consistently.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    +1 for the Odyssey
    We got a certified pre-owned base model that had ~30k miles and was 2ish years old for something like $23k. Our gas mileage is usually ~25mpg.
    Plus you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying completely flat in the back if you take out the middle row of seats! That is better than some small trucks.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

They just announced they're merging with Renault too. I was going to joke that next they'll buy Zastava, maker of the Yugo but
    The company ceased all vehicle production in 2008. Since then, a new company, Fiat Automobili Srbija has taken over the Zastava Automobiles facilities

I had a Yugo 45 once. My second car. Cost me £85 and I got a year out of it. It wasn't great, but it was a far better car than its reputation would have you believe. It had character and I genuinely liked it.