As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Not really, but it's probably going to bond to the primer instead of the plastic, which means the bond is only as strong as the bond of the primer. You can get around that by scraping/filing off some of the primer where you want to glue to make sure you're bonding plastic to plastic.

Alright, I'll scrape off the connecting point.

I primed my Stealth Suits and Pathfinders white last night. I'm hoping the color show up well on white.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Big model (4" tall) and obviously still 3D-printed, but dang, tech is moving forward. That printer is like $500.

embiggened

JUmT9lfl.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Is that an Anycubic Photon print? I’ve been seriously thinking of picking one up…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    So these bits I forgot to put on the pathfinders are way smaller than I thought.

Can I just glue them on and paint them white? Will that still work out well?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is that an Anycubic Photon print? I’ve been seriously thinking of picking one up…

Wanhao D7, apparently.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    A different, worse colour
    Stragint wrote: »
    So these bits I forgot to put on the pathfinders are way smaller than I thought.

You can't prime them individually and then glue them on? I would be more concerned about paint flaking off unprimed plastic than a supergluing primed surfaces

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

You can't prime them individually and then glue them on? I would be more concerned about paint flaking off unprimed plastic than a supergluing primed surfaces

What would be a good way to do it?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

If you have some areas you could stick a pin into I would try that

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

On the sprue.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple

Oh, if the pieces are super small, just glue them together. I thought you were talking about gluing primed limbs to primed torsos or something.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Been getting a squad together for Kill Team. Turns out painting black is hard.

qey1y40ru2b0.jpg

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I see a reiver and I want to paint it black
    But when I highlight it I want to take it back~

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Picked up a BUNCH of ultramarines from a buddy on the cheap. Mostly the new primaris stuff.

They're all primed blue, and I really can't decide whether I want to go standard UM color scheme or something like Soul Drinkers purple/silver or purple white.

...I should probably be happy that these are the "tough decisions" I have to make at this point in my life

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I'll never be able to take the Soul Drinkers seriously. All I think about is Sarp or whoever getting his spider legs torn off.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I have seen so many bad conversions of the soul drinkers spider guy. He’s like that chapter of marines with wolverine elbow spikes turned to 11.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Yeah, the Black Dragons are a bit too much for me.

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Starting to get the hang of this lighting thing, I think. WIP 'lil Mark
    rbvhrhbo6eus.jpg

• Options
    AShieldOfMeatAShieldOfMeat Registered User regular

I like to use double-sided tape stuck to cardboard. It will require you to wait for it dry, flip the bit over and prime the other side though.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I did get the stuff primed but now I'm gluing an unprimed side to a primed area on the model. Really hoping they stick well.

Edit: Got all the bits for the T'au glued on, they feel pretty good so far, kind of stressed though.

Also primed my Necrons with army painter gun metal and then washed the body with nuln oil, didn't hit the shoulders or the gun. They look alright, I'm way too critical on myself though. Gonna paint the shoulders and maybe the leg and arm plates blue, paint the gun leadbelcher and wash it and then add the Necrons rods and paint the color on the gauss blasters and Tesla carbines.

Gotta setup my Deathwatch models and decide what chapters I want to represent.

I have spent so much money on paints. I'm so glad I start a new job in two and a half weeks that pays well.

Stragint on

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    To be clear, they'll still be ultramarines.... just purple ultramarines. :biggrin:

I received a gillyman as part of the lot, so he's gonna be purple too if I go with purple.

Alien planet something something, blue looks purple something something

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    To be clear, they'll still be ultramarines.... just purple ultramarines. :biggrin:

I received a gillyman as part of the lot, so he's gonna be purple too if I go with purple.

Alien planet something something, blue looks purple something something

It's just their away colors.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    ... I really can't decide ... purple ...

I don't understand the question.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... I really can't decide ... purple ...

I don't understand the question.

*points up to very top of the page*
    What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    But all colors are merely pale reflections of purple. Except purple of course.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished off my Death Guard army for this weekend's tournament!

This week I painted 40 Poxwalkers. I only need 33 for tomorrow, (20 + 13 potential reinforcements) but the extra 7 wasn't a big deal.

FPHiyOh.jpg?2

Last model finished was my Chaos Lord.

iqGC2aR.jpg?3FGWHIUR.jpg?3

Here's the whole army. 1750 but this includes all possible reinforcements - I have enough for either a Poxbringer, 10 Plaguebearers, or up to 13 extra Poxwalkers.

Not the greatest lighting in the middle of the house at 10pm. I'll try to get some better pictures at the event this weekend.

4680Tlp.jpg?1

NBeZOfN.jpg?1
    Opd5pWV.jpg?1
    dvqIOFc.jpg?1

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Purple
    I dunno, the stark shadows they're casting are pretty fucking scary. So many angry pointy bits....

Honestly, that army looks amazing.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    The Death Guard army is sick. Both literally and figuratively.

Finished up Luke. I'm pretty happy with him, I guess.
    2qdvici3q4t0.jpg

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    thats some sexy OSL going on there

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So I've spending time going and updating my old troops. I painted these guys about 5 years ago, so my newer stuff tends to be way better and I wanted to raise the baseline of the older stuff so it was more consistent. I had 30 Greyhunters to start with, but by the end of it I was left with about 15 Greyhunters I wanted to keep (plus 3 more who are going to be Bloodclaws when I get around to buying an assault box). I got some Greyslayers from Forgeworld and some Longfangs waiting for paint, so that will help fill out my infantry

cenZ5o7.jpg
    mqE7r6y.jpg
    d1WM207.jpg

I can't erase all the mistakes I made when I started this army but I'm pretty happy how they turned out. Mostly it was just a matter of touching up highlights, filling in gun casing, bolts, screws, etc and fixing up army and squad markings. Some took more work than that where I actually had to add or replace bitz to cover up something ugly (usually clipper or glue scarring). Also, for whatever reason I think I decided to attach some of their torsos with green stuff but didn't clean it up, so you could still see the shape of green stuff on the model? Typically I tried to exacto that off and then covered that with gear hanging off the waist - the ammo, hanging chainsword, and pistol holsters from the MKIII kit were super helpful in that regard. It gave me a chance to make sure their wargear was all wuzzywig too.

(Are we allowed to do massive image dumps? i did a huge pile of photography recently of my stuff that needed updated photography and they're appropriately sized but it's also like 12 images)

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    also would you believe me when i say i use a palette now and try not to paint out of the pot anymore

• Options
    Purple
    Matrias wrote: »
    also would you believe me when i say i use a palette now and try not to paint out of the pot anymore
    whenever I walk into my local GW store there is almost always someone sitting at the table painting direct from the pot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Viking wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    whenever I walk into my local GW store there is almost always someone sitting at the table painting direct from the pot.

I did it all the time. Everyone here was incredulous as my stuff was pretty good for the most part. I thought i was getting away with it too, but then i got an airbrush and i realized i was destroying my beatifully smooth airbrushed basecoats with pot painting.

In retrospect, i've saved precious little from my first 5 years of painting, stuff that was totally within my ability to be fine today if i just showed a little more care.

Matrias on
  • Options
    I want to airbrush but I have no idea how to get really nice detail with one. Like the T'au I'm painting, i feel like I have to brush paint them over airbrush.

• Options
    Purple
    watch many tutorials online
    practice, then practice more

only way to get better is repetition

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want to airbrush but I have no idea how to get really nice detail with one. Like the T'au I'm painting, i feel like I have to brush paint them over airbrush.

I just use my airbrush to basecoat. It's a huge amount of time savings even if you dont do anything fancy with it.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I regularly paint straight from the pot. I also lick my brushes. A true monster.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    So, what are the basics one needs to start painting minis?

I’m getting back into 40k after like 15 years and I’m curious what kind of stuff I should get to get going. I’ve got the Cadian starter set on it’s way. I’ve watched the WarhammerTV videos on painting Cadian troopers and the tank camo and it doesn’t seem too difficult. I was a really shitty painter back in the day but I think with some practice I can manage ‘decent’.

So far my shopping list is,

Citadel Starter brush kit
    The 8-10 paints and couple washes I’ll need for the Cadian color scheme.
    Black spray primer

Anything else that I’m missing that’d be helpful?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'd add any kind of palette (I use one of those 99¢ white plastic palettes from Michael's and occasionally some palette paper if I'm using more than a little) for controlling how much paint you use and to make sure you remember you close your paint lids when you're done.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    member you close your paint lids when you're done.

The stupid gw pots get me all the damn time. But the effort to swap em to droppers is more than I can be bothered with.

• Options
    Purple
    I've swapped most of mine to droppers. Most of them. I have a bag of empty bottles waiting to be filled, but I just don't care enough right this second to do that.

This discussion has been closed.