Final Fantasy VII - January 1997
    Bushido Blade - March 1997
    Final Fantasy Tactics - June 1997
    SaGa Frontier - July 1997
    Einhander - November 1997

Like, holy fucking shit.

Yeah they put out one good game in june

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Bushido Blade is amazing and I will hear nothing else on the matter.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Bushido Blade is amazing and I will hear nothing else on the matter.

Bushido Blade 1 is Fine

Subsequent entries are stellar

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    100% canon that Squall constantly stops what he's doing to play a card game imo

Too be fair, it's a really good card game. You'd think everyone would be playing it 24/7.

FF8 has sone absolutely crazy plot stuff going on though...
    Squall's in love with the daughter of his father's ex-girlfriend is one amusing thing.

But the fact that the main villain of the game is an 'alternate' future Riona who snaps and goes 'evil'/takes revenge on the world because of the suffering and prejudice she receives because... she's destined to go evil... is one hell of a convoluted tine loop.

And for Squall to save the world and Riona... He has to kill an alternate Riona is something man.

Man, I have been meaning to dive into this story because it's the only FF since 7 that I don't really have a handle on (7 I know the story but didn't really enjoy the game, 9 is my favorite FF and one of my favorite games of all time, and X is up there, too, and then the series might as well have stopped existing imo).

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Wind waker always drove me nuts with all the urgency it instills in you

The triforce hunt isn't half as bad if you play the game just randomly exploring, figurinf out puzzles, and collecting triforce charts over the course of the whole game

But your dumb boat is constantly like we need to let to the next story island c'mon go go go

this worked a lot better in twilight princess, which had a similar sense of urgency, but doing your exploration once the game lets you take a breath is way less punishing

I think my first time through I did almost nothing on the world map until I finished the arbiter's grounds

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    For reasons I don’t entirely understand, Windwaker and AC Black Flag have really demonstrated to me that for some reason, a free-roaming world where you also pilot an awesome ship all over the place is just about my favorite kind of game world to be in.

So, how do you feel about No Man's Sky?

No Man's Sky feels less like a game about the awesomeness of exploring space, and more the functional equivalent of being a homeless person with a car who is scraping by from odd jobs, hoping one day to save enough on the side to own a house.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    For reasons I don’t entirely understand, Windwaker and AC Black Flag have really demonstrated to me that for some reason, a free-roaming world where you also pilot an awesome ship all over the place is just about my favorite kind of game world to be in.

No Man's Sky feels less like a game about the awesomeness of exploring space, and more the functional equivalent of being a homeless person with a car who is scraping by from odd jobs, hoping one day to save enough on the side to own a house.

Yeah it rules

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

But when I play for three hours and attain, I dunno...a net gain of maybe 60 grand in space bucks, and then the first ship I see for sale is 12 million fucking dollars

That can fuck right off, I ain't playing the shit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Bully cannot be made, anymore. The boat has been thought about and prayed for.

Breath of Fire 3 had really involved transformation-mechanics, but 2 and 4 were also fun, and Dragon Quarter tried a lot of neat things.

In BoF3, your main character can find and use a bunch of globs of magic don't worry about it.
    It drains a bit of your magic-juice every turn, many of them counter-attack when they get hit, and breath-attacks are stronger when you have more HP.
    At first you get, like, a fire-glob, which turns you into a small fire-dragon.
    Then you find more, and can mix them, and become a large fire-dragon, or maybe ice-dragon, or just a dragon with big muscles, maybe?
    You end up turning into a bunch of weird dragons and dragon-equivalent monsters, with various special abilities.

You can also mix one of the globs with which characters are currently in your party, to gain some properties from one of those characters. Bird-lady turns you into a bird-dragon, cat-guy turns you into a cat-dragon, the engineer turns you into a robot-dragon.

One glob just turns you into a saiyan instead of a dragon, and you're strong but you're also nuts. One of your other characters can use a command-skill to still make you attack the right target when you're nuts.
    Maybe you'll get better at not being nuts, some day, if you try. Then you'd be a real Goku.

You can control the saiyan form if you combine it with the Failure Gene.

That one's significantly weaker, though. If only you could go even further beyond. If only.

There's another combination that allows you control Super Saiyan Ryu, but I can't remember that one.

Radiance Trance. It wastes a lot of ki.

There's also the slightly less human Myrmidon-form, if you prefer GT.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    The ship designs in NMS were the best thing in that game.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

But when I play for three hours and attain, I dunno...a net gain of maybe 60 grand in space bucks, and then the first ship I see for sale is 12 million fucking dollars

Hmm, maybe it was luck but I was pretty regularly trading up in ships and multitools. Ships I mostly kept finding and salvaging better ones as I explored, but multitools I rarely had issues buying.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

Hmm, maybe it was luck but I was pretty regularly trading up in ships and multitools. Ships I mostly kept finding and salvaging better ones as I explored, but multitools I rarely had issues buying.

ok, that's fair. I never found ships, and was constantly caught up in the harvesting cycle of repair/research/refuel. Never found the fun gooey center in all that upkeep.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Drez wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The New Vegas premise of you getting shot in the head works extremely well as motivation because it can motivate all kinds of different characters and doesn't make things weird as heck like when you stop looking for your child for hours on end.

I hate mainline stories that give me a sense of urgency. "Oh my god aliens are nuking the shit out of our planet as we speak, only you can stop them!" *stops saving the earth for an hour to help some girl find her lost puppy*

I love Final Fantasy games that do this. The final dungeon is revealed. The world is on the brink of extinction. Also, 20 minigames and 7 optional dungeons just opened up with grinding activity that can take another 100-200 gameplay hours. What’s a hero to do?

The split between gameplay and story has never struck me harder than Xenoblade 2. You are routinely being put into urgent emergency scenarios, often involving trying to escape from a location where you are stranded or that is under seige, and yet, except for a couple of notable specific exceptions, you can also just fast travel to anywhere at any time to work on sidequests and it just kind of puts the story on hold for you until then.

From a gameplay perspective I appreciate that concession but man is it absurd the moment you stop and think about it.

It is kind of weird that the micro environment-say, 'room full of mooks who will kill you if you do not escape/defeat them' is the absolute baseline of the nature of videogames:interacting with enemies in an environment in a way that allows you to survive/move to the next level, and the macro environment-the plot sort of running all the machinery underneath all the moment-to-moment stuff-is something that for the most part, players are not only encouraged to ignore, but are genuinely actively rewarded for neglecting in the name of loot/gear/fancy outfits/xp.

Like, I'd genuinely like an Assassin's Creed where it could be like, 'Whoops, you fucked up. Sure, you explored that mountain to the north and found a cool tomb, but while you were out the bandits you were warned about torched your village and it's just gone now. You don't even have the fast travel option to it because that tower has been destroyed. Gotta go find a new support system or learn to survive in the wilds.' A world where your active stewardship (or lack thereof) shapes the environment and your responses to it. It's...nice, I guess, having a list of Plot Quests that will wait for the sun to die while you don't go and do them, but dammit if it makes none of them feel that important, and unwelcome, when upon taking one up you are locked into it until it is over unless you reset the quest in the menu. It works, I guess, but it's a quiet kind of dissonance that could be thrown out for something more effective.

Dead Rising is probably the closest to this

Not exactly, since it is literally possible to do every quest and save every person within the given time limits. I mean, I get your point, but the timeline is stitched into the plot in Dead Rising.

The games we’re talking about have hundreds of hours of extra content that just doesn’t reconcile with the plot.

I think a better example might be Far Cry 5. Which has a multitude of content but also forcibly advances the plot on you and “completes” milestone missions for you if you continually focus on ancillary stuff. And guess what? I fucking hate it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The New Vegas premise of you getting shot in the head works extremely well as motivation because it can motivate all kinds of different characters and doesn't make things weird as heck like when you stop looking for your child for hours on end.

I hate mainline stories that give me a sense of urgency. "Oh my god aliens are nuking the shit out of our planet as we speak, only you can stop them!" *stops saving the earth for an hour to help some girl find her lost puppy*

I love Final Fantasy games that do this. The final dungeon is revealed. The world is on the brink of extinction. Also, 20 minigames and 7 optional dungeons just opened up with grinding activity that can take another 100-200 gameplay hours. What’s a hero to do?

The split between gameplay and story has never struck me harder than Xenoblade 2. You are routinely being put into urgent emergency scenarios, often involving trying to escape from a location where you are stranded or that is under seige, and yet, except for a couple of notable specific exceptions, you can also just fast travel to anywhere at any time to work on sidequests and it just kind of puts the story on hold for you until then.

From a gameplay perspective I appreciate that concession but man is it absurd the moment you stop and think about it.

It is kind of weird that the micro environment-say, 'room full of mooks who will kill you if you do not escape/defeat them' is the absolute baseline of the nature of videogames:interacting with enemies in an environment in a way that allows you to survive/move to the next level, and the macro environment-the plot sort of running all the machinery underneath all the moment-to-moment stuff-is something that for the most part, players are not only encouraged to ignore, but are genuinely actively rewarded for neglecting in the name of loot/gear/fancy outfits/xp.

Like, I'd genuinely like an Assassin's Creed where it could be like, 'Whoops, you fucked up. Sure, you explored that mountain to the north and found a cool tomb, but while you were out the bandits you were warned about torched your village and it's just gone now. You don't even have the fast travel option to it because that tower has been destroyed. Gotta go find a new support system or learn to survive in the wilds.' A world where your active stewardship (or lack thereof) shapes the environment and your responses to it. It's...nice, I guess, having a list of Plot Quests that will wait for the sun to die while you don't go and do them, but dammit if it makes none of them feel that important, and unwelcome, when upon taking one up you are locked into it until it is over unless you reset the quest in the menu. It works, I guess, but it's a quiet kind of dissonance that could be thrown out for something more effective.

Dead Rising is probably the closest to this

Not exactly, since it is literally possible to do every quest and save every person within the given time limits. I mean, I get your point, but the timeline is stitched into the plot in Dead Rising.

The games we’re talking about have hundreds of hours of extra content that just doesn’t reconcile with the plot.

I think a better example might be Far Cry 5. Which has a multitude of content but also forcibly advances the plot on you and “completes” milestone missions for you if you continually focus on ancillary stuff. And guess what? I fucking hate it.

In practice I end up hating this too! I just wish there was a way this could be done right and I didn't hate it, because the alternative feels so inconsequential

• Options

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

ok, that's fair. I never found ships, and was constantly caught up in the harvesting cycle of repair/research/refuel. Never found the fun gooey center in all that upkeep.

Oh I definitely struggled with energy availability and was primarily stuck in my starting system for the duration of my time with the game (I think the procedural generation aspect really hurts the gameplay experience in that way--some planets just don't give you an easy way to leave them)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

Oh I definitely struggled with energy availability and was primarily stuck in my starting system for the duration of my time with the game (I think the procedural generation aspect really hurts the gameplay experience in that way--some planets just don't give you an easy way to leave them)

I did wonder a bit, like, if I wasn't constantly repairing my suit and tools and refueling my ship, what would I actually be doing in these geographically limited worlds?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    admiring all the... beautiful interesting procedurally generated flora and fauna!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Yeah it rules

I mean,

you do you.

I did wonder a bit, like, if I wasn't constantly repairing my suit and tools and refueling my ship, what would I actually be doing in these geographically limited worlds?

Mostly just finding minerals and animals you haven't named yet and naming them. Which was fine by me but I get not being very engaging long-term for folks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    admiring all the... beautiful interesting procedurally generated flora and fauna!

Your face is beautiful interesting procedurally generated.

• Options
    C_g1a6CXsAAZJh1.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Picasso Mod

• Options
    Imagine if people really looked like that. Imagine the terror of even going outside anymore.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is it weird that the part that keeps jumping out at me is that it's a blonde male shep? Not sure I've ever seen one before.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Imagine if people really looked like that. Imagine the terror of even going outside anymore.

I'd worry about catching my lip or nose on the door.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Is it weird that the part that keeps jumping out at me is that it's a blonde male shep? Not sure I've ever seen one before.
    I certainly think that's the only noteworthy thing about that shepard so no that's not weird

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Red Dead Redemption had the best late title card

This is a strong pick

I think I might actually give it to Nier Automata

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

It's a secret, but they already do.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's not exactly late since it still happens in the first half hour of the game, but I love Mass Effect 3's title card.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's not exactly late since it still happens in the first half hour of the game, but I love Mass Effect 3's title card.

Similarly I do love Assassin's Creed 2's title card, music swelling and all.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Kingdom Hearts 2 has a real good late title card after twilight town

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I'm more surprised it's a Male Shep.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I'm more surprised it's a Male Shep.
    ...Is it? I just automatically assumed it was female Shepard with short hair. In fact I think I genuinely forgot that male Shepard was even an option.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

I don't have to imagine the second thing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption had the best late title card

This is a strong pick

I think I might actually give it to Nier Automata

Doom 2016. Everything about that elevator sequence in the beginning is just perfect. Idk if you'd count it as late, as its only 10 minutes or so in, but its not right at the top, so maybe it counts?

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Bunch of y'all forgot about Truck Shepard huh

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Oooo yeah you can't discount Doom in pretty much any title card discussion I guess

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Oooo yeah you can't discount Doom

actually it's only 40 CAD on steam right now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also Asura's Wrath has a title card before the very last level of the game

• Options