Options

[E3 2018] - Leak Watcher

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    The New Vegas premise of you getting shot in the head works extremely well as motivation because it can motivate all kinds of different characters and doesn't make things weird as heck like when you stop looking for your child for hours on end.
    Not only that but being a courier made it so that carrying peoples shit from point A to point B actually made sense as a thing you would bother doing

I thought the FO3 hook worked pretty pretty well too, cause if you like Dad then sure you want to find him and if you didn't like Dad the eff that dude you're finally free of the vault lets go party

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    god i hated meeting your dad in fallout 3 if you were evil

"you nuked a city, and that's unforgivable, but i do need you to help me do a thing"

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    your father understands that you need to be your own person even if that means you gotta nuke a city

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    alright, so now i'm working out a quick dragon's dogma pnp idea, player races include human, elf, dwarf, saurian and beastman. goblins aren't playable because they're literally fruit from evil trees, and orcs are demons.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Just give me a mainline Fallout game where the player is a ghoul or super mutant.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I still question the decision to cast matthew perry as that character, but overall I thought New Vegas was great

everyone wants to take revenge on chandler for what he did

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Just give me a mainline Fallout game where the player is a ghoul or super mutant.

Or make it be something you can become, like how Skyrim added vampirism and lycanthropy.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Dragon's Dogma did have some pretty cool Dragon designs. Sadly, a large chunk of them were locked behind Part 2 of the game after the first Credit's Roll and then the game going "hahahahahaaha psych, you really thought you beat the game did you?!" as it pulled a Dragon Quest 3.

I actually got tricked by that completely and stopped playing the game after I did the main dragon guy's big cinematic extended boss fightand saved... someone I didn't care about the game decided was the damsel character by default I guess, and saw the credits roll, because I assumed the giant hole was like, a teaser for a sequel and/or just storyless post-game extra dungeon and it didn't really signpost what you were supposed to do with it or that the story continued. After I found out there was more to it years later I just never felt the need to go back to it. Unlike DQ3 where you get to the apparent end and then you're clearly dumped into a new world map and it goes "MORE ADVENTURE THIS WAY -->, DEMON LORD STILL AHEAD"

That said getting to that point in DQ3 was its own kind of several-year long journey of playing on and off and forgetting where I was going the previous time I was playing it and just wandering around the world map lost until I accidentally stumbled onto a new dungeon or town or something.

The sky goes evil green and broken, new dragons and monsters are out everywhere in the world, a giant hole to the abyss opened up in town, and you were just turned on by your allies and you thought 'yeah, it's over'? o.O

I mean I can be sympathetic, but heh.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    As far as E3 reveals, I'm waiting for that something utterly hype inducing where I scream incoherently, completely unexpected, and that stays unleaked.

The last two reveals to do that for me was NieR Automata's reveal at E3 2015 and BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle at EVO 2017.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    well, now "pettable dogs" is on my list of dragon's dogma 2's must haves.

Pettable dogs, co-op, manticore, a release date, another city

You can lift and throw your pawn. That's mechanically approximate.

Dragon's Dogma did have some pretty cool Dragon designs. Sadly, a large chunk of them were locked behind Part 2 of the game after the first Credit's Roll and then the game going "hahahahahaaha psych, you really thought you beat the game did you?!" as it pulled a Dragon Quest 3.

I actually got tricked by that completely and stopped playing the game after I did the main dragon guy's big cinematic extended boss fightand saved... someone I didn't care about the game decided was the damsel character by default I guess, and saw the credits roll, because I assumed the giant hole was like, a teaser for a sequel and/or just storyless post-game extra dungeon and it didn't really signpost what you were supposed to do with it or that the story continued. After I found out there was more to it years later I just never felt the need to go back to it. Unlike DQ3 where you get to the apparent end and then you're clearly dumped into a new world map and it goes "MORE ADVENTURE THIS WAY -->, DEMON LORD STILL AHEAD"

That said getting to that point in DQ3 was its own kind of several-year long journey of playing on and off and forgetting where I was going the previous time I was playing it and just wandering around the world map lost until I accidentally stumbled onto a new dungeon or town or something.

The sky goes evil green and broken, new dragons and monsters are out everywhere in the world, a giant hole to the abyss opened up in town, and you were just turned on by your allies and you thought 'yeah, it's over'? o.O

That's a monday.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

in my defense the big dragon fight REALLY REALLY felt like it was being given the full Real True Final Boss treatment

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wanna be a cat or cat person

But cool-looking cat people

The ones in TES look stupid

Gimme an example of a cool one

Ra raoooow

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Katt from Breath of Fire 2 / Rei from Breath of Fire 3.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Ra raoooow

Oh man, Housecat's here?!?

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Someday I'll be able to see the words "Breath of Fire" together without sighing deeply.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Bring The Witcher to Switch so I can insist on calling it The Switcher no matter how much my friends and loved ones beg me to stop

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Someday I'll be able to see the words "Breath of Fire" together without sighing deeply.
    I kept typing "Breath of the Wild" when trying to write it.

And I agree. Part 3 is one of the best RPGs I've played even to this day. YOU CAN TURN INTO A DRAGON.

• Options
    Bring The Witcher to Switch so I can insist on calling it The Switcher no matter how much my friends and loved ones beg me to stop

Your son is dying

• Options

in my defense the big dragon fight REALLY REALLY felt like it was being given the full Real True Final Boss treatment

your defense is bad. prison.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    Personal, you say

Sounds like we need another missing baby

That's a problem of it being personal to the developers rather than the players

I saw the E3 presentation for Bethesda after FO4 came out

half of it was about them being parents

and I'm sighing forever because this trend of game developers discovering parenthood and making crappy stories about it is extremely tiring

I'm someone who actually thinks kids are pretty neat, too! not gonna have any, but they're neat

it would be a lot better if they made you care about a kid instead of just presuming that people inherently like kids and want to defend all of them forever

But then... (major FO4 spoilers)
    ...they go out of their way to make the faction your son develops evil. And sets you up for filicide.

So, like, what’s the fucking moral here?

Jesus fucking Christ Fallout 4’s story makes me so angry.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The New Vegas premise of you getting shot in the head works extremely well as motivation because it can motivate all kinds of different characters and doesn't make things weird as heck like when you stop looking for your child for hours on end.

I hate mainline stories that give me a sense of urgency. "Oh my god aliens are nuking the shit out of our planet as we speak, only you can stop them!" *stops saving the earth for an hour to help some girl find her lost puppy*

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

New Vegas spoilers:
    Not to mention that the guy who shoots you in the head ends up being one of the most sympathetic characters!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    TheStig wrote: »

I hate mainline stories that give me a sense of urgency. "Oh my god aliens are nuking the shit out of our planet as we speak, only you can stop them!" *stops saving the earth for an hour to help some girl find her lost puppy*

I love Final Fantasy games that do this. The final dungeon is revealed. The world is on the brink of extinction. Also, 20 minigames and 7 optional dungeons just opened up with grinding activity that can take another 100-200 gameplay hours. What’s a hero to do?

Drez on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    As far as E3 reveals, I'm waiting for that something utterly hype inducing where I scream incoherently, completely unexpected, and that stays unleaked.

The last two reveals to do that for me was NieR Automata's reveal at E3 2015 and BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle at EVO 2017.

I dont know if there are any announcements that could do that for me.

Well no I lied.

Front Mission 6 could do that or Einhander 2

but we know Square aint going to do that.

• Options
    I would like GTA 5 for the Switch.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    give me bully 2

and the warriors 2

and manhunt 3

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Maybe they will announce that every game ever made starting with Pong is being remade for the Switch?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I want Bully 2 more than any other rockstar game

And also yeah the best open world stories dont have a strong urgency about them and also cast the main character in a position of "fixer" so it makes sense when you listen to some random asshole and offer to help him (or alternatively hurt him). Like being a medjay in Assassins Creed Origins or a Witcher in Witcher

Prohass on
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Personal, you say

and I'm sighing forever because this trend of game developers discovering parenthood and making crappy stories about it is extremely tiring

I'm someone who actually thinks kids are pretty neat, too! not gonna have any, but they're neat

it would be a lot better if they made you care about a kid instead of just presuming that people inherently like kids and want to defend all of them forever

...they go out of their way to make the faction your son develops evil. And sets you up for filicide.

The moral is children are terrible and will always set out to disappoint you

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Personal, you say

The moral is children are terrible and will always set out to disappoint you

so this is the story you tell your kids as you ruck them in at night

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    bully 2 has the potential to have the best, most relevant setting

but, it'll be made by rockstar

are you ready for rockstar's take on issues in the american education system

are you ready for missions from alt right freedom of speech fuckers "balanced" by social justice warrior caricatures

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    are ya'll ready for rockstar's hot take on school shootings

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Stilts wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    well, now "pettable dogs" is on my list of dragon's dogma 2's must haves.

Pettable dogs, co-op, manticore, a release date, another city

Dragon's Dogma 2: your pawns are now various breeds of immortal dogs
    Dragon's Dogma 2: Tokyo Jungle 2?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    ohh having just found this out this would blow my socks off
    Huh at one point Yasumi Matsuno was concepting Final Fantasy Tactics 2 and it was hex based.

god I would kill for that.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    bully 2 has the potential to have the best, most relevant setting

but, it'll be made by rockstar

are you ready for rockstar's take on issues in the american education system

are you ready for missions from alt right freedom of speech fuckers "balanced" by social justice warrior caricatures

Really? Because Bully was exactly the opposite of what everyone expected.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Different times

Jack Thompson was relevant and The Discourse hasn't even coalesced as a concept in talking about videogames and politics online

even though I could be pleasantly surprised, I look back at GTA5

and well,

I doubt it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I kept typing "Breath of the Wild" when trying to write it.

And I agree. Part 3 is one of the best RPGs I've played even to this day. YOU CAN TURN INTO A DRAGON.

I think bof IV is one of the best looking games of its generation, holds up extremely well, and is one of my favourite games of all time.

A real, new breath of fire game would be a dream come true.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Bully cannot be made, anymore. The boat has been thought about and prayed for.

Breath of Fire 3 had really involved transformation-mechanics, but 2 and 4 were also fun, and Dragon Quarter tried a lot of neat things.

In BoF3, your main character can find and use a bunch of globs of magic don't worry about it.
    It drains a bit of your magic-juice every turn, many of them counter-attack when they get hit, and breath-attacks are stronger when you have more HP.
    At first you get, like, a fire-glob, which turns you into a small fire-dragon.
    Then you find more, and can mix them, and become a large fire-dragon, or maybe ice-dragon, or just a dragon with big muscles, maybe?
    You end up turning into a bunch of weird dragons and dragon-equivalent monsters, with various special abilities.

You can also mix one of the globs with which characters are currently in your party, to gain some properties from one of those characters. Bird-lady turns you into a bird-dragon, cat-guy turns you into a cat-dragon, the engineer turns you into a robot-dragon.

One glob just turns you into a saiyan instead of a dragon, and you're strong but you're also nuts. One of your other characters can use a command-skill to still make you attack the right target when you're nuts.
    Maybe you'll get better at not being nuts, some day, if you try. Then you'd be a real Goku.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    TheStig wrote: »

The only one that actually felt like it was both urgent and yet not to me was BotW's.

"Yeah Zelda's held back Ganon for a hundred years, you'll be fine to mess around for a few weeks. She'll manage."

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, the content after the credits in DD wasn't just post-game filler content?

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff--

This discussion has been closed.