Options

[Star Wars] - Some fandalorians think Mandalorian blandalorian, others give a handalorian

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "But this thing not in the movies" is not exactly a great rebuttal to "I don't see where this happens in the movies"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    also gonna reiterate my position that the concept of canonicity is dumb

Well you would say that given you're C level canon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Wraith Squadron is the only canon to me

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Well you would say that given you're C level canon

I don't think those canon tiers exist anymore

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Apparently, there's no commentary for Solo.
    But Jon Kasdan has a collection of interesting facts about making the movie and stuff that was cut on Twitter that might be of interest.

Thought there were some interesting bits in there.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am not surprised there is no commentary considering all that happened but man it woulda been interesting to hear

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Apparently, there's no commentary for Solo.
    But Jon Kasdan has a collection of interesting facts about making the movie and stuff that was cut on Twitter that might be of interest.

Thought there were some interesting bits in there.

There are some cool ideas in here. But I think this twitter dump puts a big spot light on what's wrong with some modern films (looking at Rogue One in particular). These screen writers are coming up with interesting ideas for scenes and then figuring out how to fit them together. Shouldn't the basic parts of the plot/story be the foundation of the story telling? Han Solo and Rogue One are films that appear as though they were extended scenes scotch taped together.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Eh, at least from the way he's discussing it they had an idea for the basic parts of the plot from the get go and then scenes evolved or moved around as they tried to adjust the pacing of the movie.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

No, it's not, it's a way to determine if something is part of the work or not, and whether it should be criticized or examined as such. Now, you may denigrate the importance of literary criticism and examination, but you cannot deny that canonicity is an important tool for them.

tl;dr: No, you're dumb.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm surprised and happy at how much credit he gives and praise is thrown towards Lord and Miller in there

For all the chatter of Papa Kasdan being the major force behind their firing it's cool to see Jon still giving them credit where it is due

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hahah Tag and Bink were going to be in it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Hahah Tag and Bink were going to be in it.

Still are in a deleated scene.
    I want Jon Kasden to get another star wars to write or at least cowrite. He seems to be all about using a shared universe

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I played the hell out of Star Wars: Galaxies so the fact that they got the name of Cornet Starport from Wookiepedia makes me happy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I for real have serious doubts about Han telling Leia just about any fucking any details about his past

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Kasdan misspelled “mansplained”.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    According to the BBC radio drama of Star Wars, Leia is an actual spy who murders a dude right before the events of a New Hope.

So I'm in the camp that thinks she'd bring a thermal detonator to this kind of party.

In that same movie she strangled a crime-lord to death!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    According to the BBC radio drama of Star Wars, Leia is an actual spy who murders a dude right before the events of a New Hope.

So I'm in the camp that thinks she'd bring a thermal detonator to this kind of party.

In that same movie she strangled a crime-lord to death!

The second thing we see her do in ANH is drop a storm trooper. This is after she's given the plans to R2 and told him to get gone while the rest of the ships crew was being slaughtered.

Yeah, I have to believe she's more than capable of thinking "Hey, you know who doesn't like getting blown up with space grenades? HUTTS! And, well, everyone else, but mostly Hutt crime lords."

• Options
    I figured he was being sarcastic with that bit

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He may have been, but it doesn't exactly stretch credulity that he wasn't

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it legitimately could go either way

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Elaro wrote: »

No, it's not, it's a way to determine if something is part of the work or not, and whether it should be criticized or examined as such. Now, you may denigrate the importance of literary criticism and examination, but you cannot deny that canonicity is an important tool for them.

tl;dr: No, you're dumb.

I don't think either of you are dumb. You probably just care about different things.

It's a useful way to determine if something is part of the work or not, if people agree on the same metrics.
    It's not just an issue with modern blockbuster movies.

What's the Canon for Tales of King Arthur? Lots of scholars might point to one or two original stories.
    Stories that bare striking little relevance to the modern literature and the hundreds of years of historical reiteration in different languages & different nations.

I personally don't think it's meaningful to me for one thing to be Canon or Not Canon in modern discourse.
    I don't place importance on the decisions of a corporate publisher on what's considered relevent.
    I'd argue it's used more often to deny the existence of what's considered low art, than organizing discussion.

I'd go further that it's gatekeeping for people who want their literature and art to be separate from the fanfiction.
    That's totally fine and useful for the people who care about that.
    Lots of people in this thread probably don't consider the crazy EU novels about Wampa Jedi,
    or a Hutt Sith Lightsaber battle with Princess Leia as part of the discourse.

But that's not useful for the people who have a closer relationship with popular low art, and want to talk about it with likeminded people.
    That's also going to be a decent amount of people in thread.
    People who also realize that low art isn't guaranteed to be good.

I really hope that everyone continues to enjoy the Star Wars thread, and that a discussion on Canon doesn't sour things for anyone.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Given how much of the film was dedicated to explaining where minor details came from, I'm betting on "very, very sincere."

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Luke would have been pretty cheesed off if Leia had gone ahead and suicide bombed Jabbas vice den I bet

• Options
    Meanwhile I could totally see Han jokingly telling Leia about the time he tried to trick a bunch of people into thinking his rock was a Thermal Detonator and Leia later going, that's a god idea but fuck the rock I'm using a real thermal detonator because I'm god damn amazing.

• Options
    I guess if she said fuck let's all go to space hell together it would probably still amount to saving Han right, like there'd be a room of thermally detonated space monsters and a scorched carbonite sarcophagus

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Luke would have been pretty cheesed off if Leia had gone ahead and suicide bombed Jabbas vice den I bet

I know Luke is the chosen one, but I'm reasonably sure Leia still out-ranks him.

She can do what she wants.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Well I didn't mean that he would be cheesed off because of perceived improprietal actions within the command structure more that he would be upset by the thermal detonating of someone he cares about and also Lando I guess

• Options
    She was holding on to Chewbacca at that point too, don't forget. Killing herself and Lando to make a point, sure, but none of them would risk blowing up Chewie.

• Options
    You know I did forget about Chewbacca the Wookie

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    My favorite Leia moment is probably just ball busting Vader after being captured in ANH, which Rogue One makes extra hilarious in hindsight.

• Options
    My favorite Leia moment is probably just ball busting Vader after being captured in ANH, which Rogue One makes extra hilarious in hindsight.

Just like, "you and I both absolutely know we were at Scarif but I am still going to bluff as all hell just to annoy you."

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It really does make a lot more sense in the context of “there is still a senate with some law and order, deny until the lawyers get here”.

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    i firmly believe that rogue one is a prequel that makes anh better; which is usually very hard to do

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It's funny, but even in the star wars thread, I still first think of Speed Racer, before I think of Skywalker

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'd play a like, N64 Pod-Racing game that's set in Speed Racer's universe

oh my god if you could make your own pilot and you'd always dress to match your car

oh also Coruscant City Traffic Control, where you're a loose cannon pilot chasing down Swoop Gangs and Spice dealers

maybe they toss a thermal detonator in your window and kill your family, but all that does is make you a Rodian with nothing to lose.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    To quote Chewbacca,

"That's no moon

...Wait shit it is"

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    To quote Chewbacca,

"Moons! My one weakness!"

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular