As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Fantastic Beasts, guest starring Xenomorphs

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It's amazing how consistently movies about Greek mythology turn out shit, like how is this so hard they are stories about violent maniacs punching monsters to death

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's amazing how consistently movies about Greek mythology turn out shit, like how is this so hard they are stories about violent maniacs punching monsters to death

Dwayne Johnson as Hercules should have been a slam dunk.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular

Really, God of War is the only thing that's done them justice. That and Ulysses 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Turns out scripts are important. Who knew?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Agree with the general consensus The Meg is pretty bad. I was having fun for a bit, but the middle draaaaags and the characters are not great.

But!

There is a bit I absolutely loved at the end
    This is a real spoiler for the end. If you are going to be forced to see this extremely dumb movie, please save this tiny morsel.
    After everyone is celebrating the death of The Meg and preparing to move on with their lives, the music gets dramatic as the camera plunges into the water. The camera goes deeper and deeper, and you can sense the inevitable baby Meg that is gonna sell the sequel...

And instead you get one word.

Fin.
    Easy the best joke in a movie that clearly thought it was funnier than it was.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah they mostly just seem to be madly written and really dull looking

If someone could do a genuinely well written and brightly shot Iliad? Shit son

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Classical mythology is one place where prestige TV could do a better job than the movies. Greek heroes aren't actually heroes - they are troubled characters whose acts of heroism are usually just veiled fuckups on their hubris-fueled path to personal destruction. Which, once again, is something else that God of War actually gets right.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Watch Colossal last night on Hulu and its hard to say its good as it stands. There's clearly like 3 different ideas for films here and none of them are really allowed to play themselves out before the next one comes up.

The central conceit of the movie is fun and Anne Hathaway is charming as ever but yeah, this one wasn't ready yet and I can see why it didn't get a full theater run.

Also, very much not the quirky romantic comedy its billed as.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Watch Colossal last night on Hulu and its hard to say its good as it stands. There's clearly like 3 different ideas for films here and none of them are really allowed to play themselves out before the next one comes up.

The central conceit of the movie is fun and Anne Hathaway is charming as ever but yeah, this one wasn't ready yet and I can see why it didn't get a full theater run.

Colossal got a full theatrical run, was one of the best films of last year, and wasn't billed as a romantic comedy so far as I can recall. That said, it is a film that is best to go into as blindly as possible so anyone not familiar with it shouldn't go and watch the trailer.

The film has one singular theme that it develops very well. It's a movie with a message that more people should be exposed to.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Colossal got a full theatrical run, was one of the best films of last year, and wasn't billed as a romantic comedy so far as I can recall. That said, it is a film that is best to go into as blindly as possible so anyone not familiar with it shouldn't go and watch the trailer.

The film has one singular theme that it develops very well. It's a movie with a message that more people should be exposed to.

Colossal spoiler:
    Colossal never switches genres. It's always a parable about toxic men, but it hides it in romantic comedy/science fantasy tropes so well that you don't realize what you are watching until the situation escalates into violence. The genius is that the signs were there from the start.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Colossal spoiler:
    Colossal never switches genres. It's always a parable about toxic men, but it hides it in romantic comedy/science fantasy tropes so well that you don't realize what you are watching until the situation escalates into violence. The genius is that the signs were there from the start.

And a bit of a surprise from Jason Sudeikis playing against type.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Colossal spoiler:

And a bit of a surprise from Jason Sudeikis playing against type.

Was he really... I mean lets be honest here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mmm this is all fuzzy of course since the marketing was a while back, but googling the marketing posters it's definitely more light hearted.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mmm this is all fuzzy of course since the marketing was a while back, but googling the marketing posters it's definitely more light hearted.
    That's the point. The movie poses as a romcom/scifi mashup, but it is all a feint from the first scene. A lot of how you react to his will depend on your tolerance for movies that purposefully lie to you via marketing and the use of genre tropes.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    That's the point. The movie poses as a romcom/scifi mashup, but it is all a feint from the first scene. A lot of how you react to his will depend on your tolerance for movies that purposefully lie to you via marketing and the use of genre tropes.
    honestly the tone shifts are so jarring and there's so much chaff in the script it didnt feel intentional at all, so while that may have been the goal it didn't work for me.

Edit: I think I can negatively compare it to Sorry to Bother You in this regard.

As always ymmv

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

It was!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Well Reign the Conqueror is Macedonian, but that's close enough.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Why does he keep looking back after looking at the reflection?

I watched both of those films at the cinema, but I struggle to remember anything in them; for what could have been fun schlock, they mirror their leading actor in being utterly bland. The colour palette is a crime.

Also, I watched the latest Bourne but 2 days later couldn't remember what film I'd watched.

The one thing that scene does - accidentally via the insistence that Medusa be a hot girl the camera lingers on - is make her the only interesting character in the scene. I want to know what her deal is more than the crew of home invaders she’s fighting.

I remember back when it was released the whole thread was cheering her on. lol

Classical mythology is one place where prestige TV could do a better job than the movies. Greek heroes aren't actually heroes - they are troubled characters whose acts of heroism are usually just veiled fuckups on their hubris-fueled path to personal destruction. Which, once again, is something else that God of War actually gets right.

There's a series on Netflix about the Trojan War which does this. Saw the first ep, and it was good. For some reason the replaced Discord with Athena at the part where Paris has to choose between the beautiful goddesses, which threw me for a loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxVghfY6dk&frags=pl%2Cwn

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Alexander tried to make it kinda gay but everyone involved seemed so super uncomfortable that it just made me cringe.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png
    That's your solution for everything, wandering!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of more gayer, the ultimate cut of Alexander is up on Netflix now. I don't know if it will salvage the movie the way something like Kingdom of Heaven was.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Alexander tried to make it kinda gay but everyone involved seemed so super uncomfortable that it just made me cringe.

It kinda was forcing Alex into a false, binary choice, either a seemingly hairless and passive Jared Leto or an overly aggressive Roxanna/Rosario Dawson and her magnificant 4th century BCE bush.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I watched both of those films at the cinema, but I struggle to remember anything in them; for what could have been fun schlock, they mirror their leading actor in being utterly bland. The colour palette is a crime.

Also, I watched the latest Bourne but 2 days later couldn't remember what film I'd watched.

The one thing that scene does - accidentally via the insistence that Medusa be a hot girl the camera lingers on - is make her the only interesting character in the scene. I want to know what her deal is more than the crew of home invaders she’s fighting.

There's a series on Netflix about the Trojan War which does this. Saw the first ep, and it was good. For some reason the replaced Discord with Athena at the part where Paris has to choose between the beautiful goddesses, which threw me for a loop.

It was always Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite. The apple was one of Discord's.

• Options
    edited August 2018

One dude looked super familiar and I had to go check the cast list. Guy's name is Joseph Mawle.

I know him as Benjen Stark, a man who got lost for half a decade on Game of Thrones and fans were all like, "Where the fuck is Benjen?"

And these motherfuckers cast his as Odysseus.

Bobble on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

It kinda was forcing Alex into a false, binary choice, either a seemingly hairless and passive Jared Leto or an overly aggressive Roxanna/Rosario Dawson and her magnificant 4th century BCE bush.

So... I should watch this then?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Sure, there are better ways to spend 3 hours, but the battles of Gaugamela/Arbela and Hydaspes are pretty good and Val Kilmer as Phillip II is worth experiencing.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Sure, there are better ways to spend 3 hours, but the battles of Gaugamela/Arbela and Hydaspes are pretty good and Val Kilmer as Phillip II is worth experiencing.

I think I skipped it because Troy came out around the same time, and that movie is great. So I figured it wouldn't live up.

Why do studios do that? "Oh such and such studio is making this, better pump out something with the same/similar story and call it slightly different to flood the market." Seems like a petty way to try to steal sales from your competition, and produce crappier material in the process.

Edit - Oh, they're called Twin Films...

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    so naked Rosario Dawson wasn't enough to save it?

wow it must be real bad

• Options
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

I think I skipped it because Troy came out around the same time, and that movie is great. So I figured it wouldn't live up.

Why do studios do that? "Oh such and such studio is making this, better pump out something with the same/similar story and call it slightly different to flood the market." Seems like a petty way to try to steal sales from your competition, and produce crappier material in the process.

I was going to object to Batman v Superman being a 'twin film' with Civil War, but the entire DCEU is just chasing the MCU so I guess it kinda counts.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    My prescription?

3rprkx8gzld5.png

Despite being a creative industry its ruled by uncreative execs who see films more like widgets and they like easy bets. Th more mercenary and less creative talents will be more inclined to do their bidding as it's low risk for higher rewards - in theory. Generally, the ones with actual talent can make it work or at least equal the competition based on the quality of their work, the bad ones will get destroyed in the market place unless they have a low budget or are critic proof.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I really like Alexander 2004 for the battle scenes alone. No other movie I've seen has shown period accurate warfare like Alexander. Almost every detail was recreated from contemporary accounts. Even the cavalry faint that was pulled in the first battle of the movie. Watching a phalanx fight as a unit instead of descending into single combat was so satisfying.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-users-enrolled-new-plan-after-canceling-error-message-after-trying-to-cancel-again-2018-8

Did you cancel MoviePass after all of the changes and issues in the last month? Are you sure about that?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I hope they end up with a ton of chargeback occurrences because of this.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Speaking of more gayer, the ultimate cut of Alexander is up on Netflix now. I don't know if it will salvage the movie the way something like Kingdom of Heaven was.

Hm I should watch this

• Options
    I'm reading a cool biography of Cleopatra rn and it'd be fun to see a miniseries focusing solely on her life

• Options
    edited August 2018
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I really like Alexander 2004 for the battle scenes alone. No other movie I've seen has shown period accurate warfare like Alexander. Almost every detail was recreated from contemporary accounts. Even the cavalry faint that was pulled in the first battle of the movie. Watching a phalanx fight as a unit instead of descending into single combat was so satisfying.
    True, although being a Macedonian nobleman, Parmenion was in chage of the mixed Macedonian and Thracian cavalry on Alex's left, not a phalanx as Stone has it. Him being in the thick of it with the infantry added more drama to his situation at Gaugamela in the film, even if he wasn't in too much immediate danger IRL.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm reading a cool biography of Cleopatra rn and it'd be fun to see a miniseries focusing solely on her life

pretty sure they already made one of those
    https://youtu.be/e2ZRSwul7cE

• Options
    What in the

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    What in the

Signature "Action Pack" cheese.

This discussion has been closed.