As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from Beat Saber thread to remind everyone it exists. The custom map scene is flourishing and getting really, really good so if you played the game then put it down due to lack of songs, might be time to dive back in. There's still a lot of crap maps out there, but it's easier and easier to find ones that are good.

Here's me doing a playthrough of my current favourite.

https://youtu.be/Z6FL1D7a_A0

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR yet? I never played the regular version of the game (wasn't even on my radar to be honest), but everyone has been raving about it over at the Oculus subreddit. I watched a few videos and ended up picking it up for 40% off at Humble Bundle. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed, as the VR functionality seems pretty limited, but the reviews so far have been good enough that I had to give it a shot. I'll update with some impressions hopefully in a couple of days once I get a chance to play through it a bit, but curious what others' perspectives are.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I played about 45 min of it back when it came out, and keep meaning to go back but it's intense. It was developed with mental health professionals in order to simulate the effects of psychosis. I was completely blown away by the performance of the main character. There's a reason the game won a bunch of awards.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There's still a lot of crap maps out there, but it's easier and easier to find ones that are good.

What's the best way to find the good ones nowadays?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    wonderpug wrote: »
    There's still a lot of crap maps out there, but it's easier and easier to find ones that are good.

Basically, get stuff by BennyDaBeast, and our very own Spool32 made one (Booty Swing) that is p good.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    The WW1 flying sim Flying Circus is now available for pre-order/alpha access. It's based on the IL-2 BoS engine, so it should work really well out of the box with VR - WW1 combat is really my jam, so this is really clashing with my 'never pre-order' mentality.

Help? Thoughts? Anyone taken the plunge on that yet?

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR yet? I never played the regular version of the game (wasn't even on my radar to be honest), but everyone has been raving about it over at the Oculus subreddit. I watched a few videos and ended up picking it up for 40% off at Humble Bundle. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed, as the VR functionality seems pretty limited, but the reviews so far have been good enough that I had to give it a shot. I'll update with some impressions hopefully in a couple of days once I get a chance to play through it a bit, but curious what others' perspectives are.

I thought it was massively over-hyped and after about an hour I'd seen everything the game had to offer. As a piece of entertainment that tackles a serious subject, it succeeds. As a game made for entertainment I thought it was horribly boring.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »

Basically, get stuff by BennyDaBeast, and our very own Spool32 made one (Booty Swing) that is p good.

Spool's map is really good. A good rule of thumb is look for maps which have more then just "Expert" modes - since the existence of easier settings usually implies the maker put some good thought into them.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Anyone else get Pixel Ripped?

Nope, just Regular Ripped

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I was waiting for someone to do that.

26904.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Once you beat the Badgerlord in Gorn, it basically turns into an excellent Wolverine simulator.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/vr-sale

Bunch of VR games on sale right now.

• Options
    I played about an hour and a half of Hellblade last night, and it fucked me up something fierce. Been a while since I've gotten that kind of motion sickness in VR. I actually had to start work late this morning because I was still feeling like shit.

Which is weird though, because I played the first hour with no issues whatsoever. Ah well. Fantastic game so far, I may just have to take it in smaller chunks.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I'm excited to try new VR stuff, but I wish there were more campaign-oriented games. I really, really like Cosmic Trip, but I'm not sure how much more I'll play of it without anything like a story mode. None of my local friends have VR, so it's also hard to get excited about all the arena-oriented games.

Can anyone recommend anything with a campaign or story mode? I'm also open to getting multiplayer games if there are forum favorites.

So far, I have:
    • Beat Saber
    • Super Hot
    • Space Pirate Trainer
    • Audioshield
    • In Death (which I will definitely shill for)
    • Keep Talking

Stuff I got on sale but haven't started yet:
    • Talos Principal VR
    • The Gallery, p.1 & 2
    • Alice VR

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    I'm excited to try new VR stuff, but I wish there were more campaign-oriented games. I really, really like Cosmic Trip, but I'm not sure how much more I'll play of it without anything like a story mode. None of my local friends have VR, so it's also hard to get excited about all the arena-oriented games.

Can anyone recommend anything with a campaign or story mode? I'm also open to getting multiplayer games if there are forum favorites.

So far, I have:
    • Beat Saber
    • Super Hot
    • Space Pirate Trainer
    • Audioshield
    • Keep Talking

• Talos Principal VR
    • The Gallery, p.1 & 2
    • Alice VR

Lone Echo is amaaaaaaazing, definitely get that if you want a good campaign

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

So far, I have:
    • Beat Saber
    • Super Hot
    • Space Pirate Trainer
    • Audioshield
    • Keep Talking

• Talos Principal VR
    • The Gallery, p.1 & 2
    • Alice VR

Skyrim VR has a campaign/story mode and I love it. I should clarify that I never played Skyrim prior to in VR, so its all new to me.
    Fallout is also in VR but I haven't had a chance to play that yet. I've also heard good things about Serious Sam.

Moss is story based, too.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

So far, I have:
    • Beat Saber
    • Super Hot
    • Space Pirate Trainer
    • Audioshield
    • Keep Talking

• Talos Principal VR
    • The Gallery, p.1 & 2
    • Alice VR

Skyrim VR has a campaign/story mode and I love it. I should clarify that I never played Skyrim prior to in VR, so its all new to me.
    Fallout is also in VR but I haven't had a chance to play that yet. I've also heard good things about Serious Sam.

Moss is story based, too.

I got Fallout 4 VR free with my Vive, and it just doesn't feel right for me. I've heard Skyrim is better, but I'm not as excited about it after putting over a hundred hours into the pancake version.

Moss is a good suggestion! I don't think it's on sale yet, though, so I'll keep an eye on it.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

So far, I have:
    • Beat Saber
    • Super Hot
    • Space Pirate Trainer
    • Audioshield
    • Keep Talking

• Talos Principal VR
    • The Gallery, p.1 & 2
    • Alice VR

Lone Echo is amaaaaaaazing, definitely get that if you want a good campaign

Agreed with Lone Echo (if you have a Rift, or can get Revive working) and Skyrim.

Along with The Gallery, other well-rated VR adventure games include Obduction, Batman Arkham VR, The Solus Project, and The Exorcist: Legion VR. Dead Secret wouldn't be anything to write home about in 2D, but I think it's a good one to try out your VR horror legs. Also on the Oculus Store, Chronos. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just came out at a budget price point, and is highly rated. If you already have Rise of the Tomb Raider + one of the expansions (I forget which one), one of the mini add-ons can be played in VR, the one where you explore your mansion.

For something that has more action, Arizona Sunshine has a campaign. Tube hated it, though. Subnautica's supposed to be great, but I couldn't get over the fact that the FOV has the tutorial text floating out of view, and it's been that way for years ("working as intended").

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I dug Arizona Sunshine, but wandering around shooting zombies is sort of my jam.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If I recall correctly, Tube was really unhappy that the environment doesn't really matter. Like, it looks like you should be able to go hide behind a chokepoint, but that area is inaccessible.

Some other ones that I forgot:

- Killing Floor: Incursion has a campaign, but I really didn't like how the monsters could spawn right on top of you.

- Arktika.1 on the Oculus Store is a pretty good dual handgun shooter, with a campaign broken down into missions.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Bridge crew is half off on humble, but i guess the dlc is still 15. Is it worth it? I don't know anyone else who owns it...

Edit: I do know one friend! Do both people need the dlc to play TNG stuff?

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Bridge crew is half off on humble, but i guess the dlc is still 15. Is it worth it? I don't know anyone else who owns it...

Edit: I do know one friend! Do both people need the dlc to play TNG stuff?

I'm sorely tempted by this one. How many forumers actually have Bridge Crew?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have it but need a group to play with

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'm the same boat. Played it once by myself and thought it was kind of cool but no way would it hold my attention playing completely solo.

• Options
    That sounds like four already. If I grab it, would you folks want to group up for some bridge crewing?

• Options
    Sure, but my schedule is wonky. I’m in the states bee tee dubs.

• Options
    Sure, but my schedule is wonky. I’m in the states bee tee dubs.

I'm on East coast time, but I'm not good at going to bed early anyway

• Options
    Well I mean more like my Oculus is at work so I can really only play during the day

• Options
    I guess I could come up to the office in the evening

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Some other good campaign games include Farpoint, Resident Evil 7, Rush of Blood, Statik, The Persistence...

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Aren't several of those PSVR only?

They are, yes. Sorry, I just saw recommendations for campaign games, didn't know it was a platform-specific question.

• Options
    About 4 hours in, and Hellblade is getting quite good. There are some moments that are just mesmerizing in how they present the main character Senua. I don't even want to talk about it too much just to avoid spoiling anything, but if anyone is looking for a serious character-driven campaign, this is a really good one to pick up.

The only issue is that holy shit does it make me sick after about an hour. There's a warning at the beginning that you should only play in about 30-minute chunks, and everyone should seriously take that to heart. No other game makes me feel nauseous quite like this one does. Worth it though!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Having beaten the original game, I would warn people, the complaint that it is a puzzle game with one type of puzzle isn't an exaggeration (and I've yet to seen it suggested VR changes it). There's a pretty robust combat system along with that, though there are four different types of enemies throughout the whole game, if that matters.

The save system can also be actively infuriating, and I doubt that's improved with the VR version.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Having beaten the original game, I would warn people, the complaint that it is a puzzle game with one type of puzzle isn't an exaggeration (and I've yet to seen it suggested VR changes it). There's a pretty robust combat system along with that, though there are four different types of enemies throughout the whole game, if that matters.

The save system can also be actively infuriating, and I doubt that's improved with the VR version.

Yup, I wouldn't disagree with any of those criticisms. The "puzzles" are not great, and the combat - though enjoyable - is somewhat basic, especially once you figure out the few enemy variations. I haven't run into any major issues with the save system, but I also typically try to quit at places that make sense where I don't think I'll lose much progress, but I can see where it could bite some people in the ass.

All that said, it's still a fantastic game so far, despite those issues. In VR especially, there's something about the "presence" of Senua that's just captivating. When she's looking right at you and talking to you directly, even following you with her eyes as you move around, she doesn't feel like a character in a video game. She feels like a real person.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Yup, I wouldn't disagree with any of those criticisms. The "puzzles" are not great, and the combat - though enjoyable - is somewhat basic, especially once you figure out the few enemy variations. I haven't run into any major issues with the save system, but I also typically try to quit at places that make sense where I don't think I'll lose much progress, but I can see where it could bite some people in the ass.

All that said, it's still a fantastic game so far, despite those issues. In VR especially, there's something about the "presence" of Senua that's just captivating. When she's looking right at you and talking to you directly, even following you with her eyes as you move around, she doesn't feel like a character in a video game. She feels like a real person.

It's definitely a visually stunning game, even if there is a really large amount of environmental re-use (and a bad insistence on making players backtrack for no reason beyond "You need to go back to that earlier intersection, that looks exactly like all the other intersections"). And Senua's actual visual fidelity is fantastic--sort of the consequence when the whole game has a half-dozen characters, half of which only appear in cleverly-used video playback anyway.

That being said, especially considering the possibility of motion sickness, this really does sound like a uniquely unsuited game for VR--a large chunk of the total presentation is the third person animation work, and then there's the puzzle mechanic and combat on top of that. It's almost like they're simply taking the strong advisement that you play the game with a competent set of earphones (definitely makes sense) and then awkwardly tacked video component of VR on top of that.

• Options

It's definitely a visually stunning game, even if there is a really large amount of environmental re-use (and a bad insistence on making players backtrack for no reason beyond "You need to go back to that earlier intersection, that looks exactly like all the other intersections"). And Senua's actual visual fidelity is fantastic--sort of the consequence when the whole game has a half-dozen characters, half of which only appear in cleverly-used video playback anyway.

That being said, especially considering the possibility of motion sickness, this really does sound like a uniquely unsuited game for VR--a large chunk of the total presentation is the third person animation work, and then there's the puzzle mechanic and combat on top of that. It's almost like they're simply taking the strong advisement that you play the game with a competent set of earphones (definitely makes sense) and then awkwardly tacked video component of VR on top of that.

I don't know I totally agree there. I haven't played the flat version, so it's difficult to talk about the differences between the two, but from my perspective I've found that this is one of the best experiences I've had in VR so far, even despite the motion sickness issues. VR can actually work really well for third-person games, even though it's not a format used much for obvious reasons. Because of the focus on Senua, and the way the game plays with you essentially following her as a ghost (most I can say without spoiling more about the story), the sensation of being immersed in the world right there beside her as she endures her internal and external struggles feels incredibly immersive.

You're not wrong about some of the gameplay issues, but I personally view it so far as less of a game and more of an experience. Not always a fun one, but an important and at times profound one.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I've been collating a list of games with story content (or longer, focused single player) since urahonky mentioned the humble bundle sale. Here's a list of links for convenience:
    Recommended in this thread, and on sale right now:
    Recommended but not on sale:
    Things that sound good, but shorter than I was looking for:

• Options

I don't know I totally agree there. I haven't played the flat version, so it's difficult to talk about the differences between the two, but from my perspective I've found that this is one of the best experiences I've had in VR so far, even despite the motion sickness issues. VR can actually work really well for third-person games, even though it's not a format used much for obvious reasons. Because of the focus on Senua, and the way the game plays with you essentially following her as a ghost (most I can say without spoiling more about the story), the sensation of being immersed in the world right there beside her as she endures her internal and external struggles feels incredibly immersive.

You're not wrong about some of the gameplay issues, but I personally view it so far as less of a game and more of an experience. Not always a fun one, but an important and at times profound one.

Interesting. I hope I'll get an opportunity to try it out at some point, I've been uniformly disappointed by the third person VR experience I've tried so far (even the ones that you could call "games" instead of just experiences).

This discussion has been closed.