As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    It's like boneworks with an art department.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Oh also
    Owners of Valve Index controllers also get Half-Life: Alyx for free.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Daaamn that looks good. I have full faith Valve will nail the entire VR experience, given the other smaller samples they've put out in VR so far.

And freeeeee! I'm alright with this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh wait you just need the controllers? I thought it was a whole index. Been thinking about getting them anyway. Any quirks working with vive 1.0?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    infuriated that they opened up index availability to Canada, but not to Australia. I really thought that all of the outstanding countries on the unavailable list would all get a launch at the same time

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Oh wait you just need the controllers? I thought it was a whole index. Been thinking about getting them anyway. Any quirks working with vive 1.0?

Oh, for real? I didn't realize that! I got the knuckles for my Vive, I'm suddenly stoked!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What is some cheap vr tech to use with Alyx?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Rift S or Quest would.be what I'd be aiming for if I was coming in fresh.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Have we not talked about the Oculus Link yet? I've been using mine with an Active USB 3 1m extension cable and an Amazon Basics 3m cable. It's extremely picky about what cables you can use, and Oculus are releasing their fancy optical one in the future but with my current set up I'm extremely impressed.

To me, it seems native. I genuinely can't perceive any input lag. I've tried Virtual Desktop and definitely felt it here, but this actually feels as good as my regular Rift, with the added benefit that the screen is better.

There IS a softness to the image that isn't there on the Rift-S (from memory, it's been a while since I've played it) and there's the odd weird artefact. The Oculus Home screen appears to be the most obvious here, if you look down at the Grey home taskbar and bob your head up and down it appears to 'wave'. I've not been able to reproduce this in any game though.

I've given a mix of Oculus and Steam games a go and the only problem I had initially was my headset was at an angle. A quick reboot and this hasn't occurred again. As someone on reddit says, it's actually a little boring how well it works. You put it on and it's just like a regular PC VR headset, no quirks, nothing. The only thing I found a little fiddly was centring myself (which was is forward facing). I got 'stuck' in a steam VR game when I hit the recentre button on the Oculus taskbar.

In general though, yay! I can lend a friend my CV1 and strip all the sensors off the wall.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Have we not talked about the Oculus Link yet? I've been using mine with an Active USB 3 1m extension cable and an Amazon Basics 3m cable. It's extremely picky about what cables you can use, and Oculus are releasing their fancy optical one in the future but with my current set up I'm extremely impressed.

To me, it seems native. I genuinely can't perceive any input lag. I've tried Virtual Desktop and definitely felt it here, but this actually feels as good as my regular Rift, with the added benefit that the screen is better.

There IS a softness to the image that isn't there on the Rift-S (from memory, it's been a while since I've played it) and there's the odd weird artefact. The Oculus Home screen appears to be the most obvious here, if you look down at the Grey home taskbar and bob your head up and down it appears to 'wave'. I've not been able to reproduce this in any game though.

I've given a mix of Oculus and Steam games a go and the only problem I had initially was my headset was at an angle. A quick reboot and this hasn't occurred again. As someone on reddit says, it's actually a little boring how well it works. You put it on and it's just like a regular PC VR headset, no quirks, nothing. The only thing I found a little fiddly was centring myself (which was is forward facing). I got 'stuck' in a steam VR game when I hit the recentre button on the Oculus taskbar.

In general though, yay! I can lend a friend my CV1 and strip all the sensors off the wall.

It's incredible how well it works. I have a 3m cable and a 5m active-extension so lots of cable to move around. Only issue is there is still no real physical space in my basement next to the PC to use this tethered. Especially with the low ceiling that is endemic in Toronto basements. VD is still my go-to but it's neat to pop on Link now and then. It really is seamless.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah. They are acting like the link makes a Quest better than Rift S.

I am not so sure.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Quick how do we turn "Alyx" into some strange code for "3"?

If you look at the image in the tweet very closely, it might be somewhat hard to notice, but it is broken up into 3 parts.

It's in hexadecimal. 2.9 > 2.Alex.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options

I haven't noticed any quirks yet.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping there is some sort of BF deal on the Quest...with all this positive feedback ill pick one up to replace my CV1

• Options

I haven't noticed any quirks yet.

Yeah, mine work great.

They take some getting used to. For example, you wrap your hand around the grip to grab things in Super Hot, but that means closing your hands into fists can accidentally activate stuff, especially on the level select scene.

Once you get used to fitting them correctly and actually letting go, they're very intuitive.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »

The cheapest would probably be a used Oculus Rift, which would probably run $200 or so. The Oculus Rift S and Quest are newer versions with the Rift as a common ancestor of sorts (The Rift S is a PC peripheral, while the Quest can also run some onboard games without a PC, not Alyx though) and are both $400 new, with a discount for Black Friday fairly likely.

Bremen on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'm hoping there is some sort of BF deal on the Quest...with all this positive feedback ill pick one up to replace my CV1
    Bremen wrote: »
    with a discount for Black Friday fairly likely.

Best Buy has listed a $50 discount on the Rift S and Quest.

~15% isn't exactly a mind blowing discount, but it's better than nothing for those looking to upgrade or dip their toe in.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Forar wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »
    Bremen wrote: »
    with a discount for Black Friday fairly likely.

Best Buy has listed a $50 discount on the Rift S and Quest.

~15% isn't exactly a mind blowing discount, but it's better than nothing for those looking to upgrade or dip their toe in.

I picked up a Odyssey+ to try out from the MS store. Turns out that in addition to the $324 CAD price tag (which is a strange price...) it comes with a $50 gift certificate to the MS store. No idea what I'll use that for, but hey, free money.

I figure that I can use the $676 I saved vs an Index to buy a copy of Alyx at retail price :rotate:

Worst case is I don't like it enough to supersede my Lenovo Explorer and return it and wait for the Reverb (or something else).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    AFAIK, you don't need the Index to get the free copy of alyx. I've read that buying any part of the index ecosystem qualifies you. I've read about people with vives upgrading their setup with the Index controllers or the newer lighthouses to hit two birds with one stone. Upgrading the hardware that they were planning on upgrading anyway, and getting a copy of alyx at the same time.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Alyx was in my steam library last night. I only have the controllers. Unsure if the Index lighthouses come with the same deal, but the website seems to imply that they might?

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't know about the US Steam page, but the Canadian one flat out indicates that you get a free copy of HL:A with purchase of anything but the solo base station option. The Controllers, Headset only, Headset plus Controllers, and Headset plus Controllers and Base Stations all include HL:A outright.

I wasn't really leaning toward getting the controllers already, but given that it's $60 for the game (discounted from $70), that's quite a savings. While I'm sure the game will drop in price in time, I'm not expecting the controllers to get much cheaper for a while, given how they were just released.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    my dream scenario is that Valve releases Alyx with an updated and fleshed out Source Engine editor designed for VR development, with the workflow all in VR.

I just like making myself sad and disappointed, I guess.

Edit: Wow, wasn't expecting to not necessarily be quite so sad and disappointed
    https://mobile.twitter.com/LambdaGen/status/1197612466005524480

Atheraal on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Alyx was in my steam library last night. I only have the controllers. Unsure if the Index lighthouses come with the same deal, but the website seems to imply that they might?

I guess the lighthouses themselves might not have the deal, but I know that the news has gotten some people to order the Index controllers.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Wait, I thought you had to use the official optical Link cable from Oculus for it to work. So other standard USB C cables work too?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options

I am not so sure.

I haven't tried it, but from reviews it seems to be that the Quest definitely doesn't magically become a Rift S by using the link, but given that it allows you to have a full PCVR headset AND the mobile functionality of the Quest without buying two headsets, it seems pretty good!

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Wait, I thought you had to use the official optical Link cable from Oculus for it to work. So other standard USB C cables work too?

You don't have to use the official cable, it's just optimised for the job.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I am not so sure.

I haven't tried it, but from reviews it seems to be that the Quest definitely doesn't magically become a Rift S by using the link, but given that it allows you to have a full PCVR headset AND the mobile functionality of the Quest without buying two headsets, it seems pretty good!

It's good enough that I'm happy to replace my CV1. It's not as sharp as the Rift-S though.

And yeah, most USB 3.0 cables work. THere's links on reddit to confirmed models.

• Options
    I'm still running my CV1. I'd have grabbed an Index day one if it shipped to Australia, but it doesn't yet, and while I'd be happy to use a freight forwarder to get it to me, I'm not willing to risk needing to use a freight forwarder to RMA it if something went wrong.

I'd have bought a Rift S or Quest but, same deal - I'm going to buy an Index when it's available, so why even bother with them.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    https://youtu.be/twHzBGTKvlo

Black and White is that you?

Karoz on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Index would be amazing but there are so many thinks i need to buy before it that are more important. I would rather get the Quest in truth but even that would be a struggle right now.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

all it's missing is a giant pet animal that eats all of your villagers when you're not paying attention

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »

all it's missing is a giant pet animal that eats all of your villagers when you're not paying attention

There was more to Black & White than that?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Years ago, one of my college buddies got me a Valve Steam card for my birthday. Y'know, the ones that automatically grant all Valve games past, present, and future into your account library? Well, turns out, I have Half-Life: Alyx in my Steam library. Now all I need is to find a VR setup that I can actually use on PC for more than 30 minutes per week.
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Index would be amazing but there are so many thinks i need to buy before it that are more important. I would rather get the Quest in truth but even that would be a struggle right now.

If you're in the US, the Samsung Odyssey+ is currently down to $230 on Amazon. Might be a decent entry into things.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

Niceee. VR Black and White is probably my #1 dream -- it would work perfectly. I'm going to try to keep my hopes tempered (a lesson I learned from all of Mr. Molyneux's games of that era, oddly enough), but hopefully they can add enough meat to this one for it to be fun!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

Niceee. VR Black and White is probably my #1 dream -- it would work perfectly. I'm going to try to keep my hopes tempered (a lesson I learned from all of Mr. Molyneux's games of that era, oddly enough), but hopefully they can add enough meat to this one for it to be fun!

I have that one, and it's a good start. You zoom in and out by grabbing (on the index controllers) and spreading or closing your arms like pinching on a phone, and the world scales under you.

I haven't played it in the last couple of months, but it was thin on content. There aren't a lot of choices for buildings or tech trees, and there isn't any kind of campaign or crafted content once you finish the tutorial.

It could also use some UI polish. The buildings are all kinda the same color and texture and are distinguished only by shapes. It was very hard to tell them apart at a glance, especially at Vive resolution.

If they keep updating it, I could really recommend it, but thus far it reminds me of Cosmic Trip. It's a great translation of a genre into VR, but it is barely a game.

• Options
    I am not so certain about the Quest. It seems like it is not as sharp as the Rift S when you hook it up to a PC.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    It is not, but I find the image better than the CV1 (and I prefer the colours / black levels of the oled VS the Rift S, but it's certainly not as sharp).

Carmack tweeted about trying to introduce a USB 3.1 mode taking advantage of the increased bit rate but I still don't think you'll ever truly beat a direct hdmi input. For me it's good enough to replace the Rift and it's many cameras though.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It is not, but I find the image better than the CV1 (and I prefer the colours / black levels of the oled VS the Rift S, but it's certainly not as sharp).

Carmack tweeted about trying to introduce a USB 3.1 mode taking advantage of the increased bit rate but I still don't think you'll ever truly beat a direct hdmi input. For me it's good enough to replace the Rift and it's many cameras though.

That's my thing. I don't need it to be better than the S. Better than CV1 or on par without a limited library? With no cameras? That's perfect for me. Setting up the cameras is a big reason why I don't play much, honestly, because I can't just leave them out so it's fresh every play session.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

That's my thing. I don't need it to be better than the S. Better than CV1 or on par without a limited library? With no cameras? That's perfect for me. Setting up the cameras is a big reason why I don't play much, honestly, because I can't just leave them out so it's fresh every play session.

The Vive lighthouses are tolerable now that I figured out how to get Steam to turn them on and off by Bluetooth. My thing is that I keep the headset packed up and safely cushioned in its box, so I have to unpack it every time. I need to figure out an Ikea kallax bin arrangement or something, so I can leave it always plugged in but still protected.

This discussion has been closed.