As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm not expected any crazy surprises at this point. I expect a new Pokemon, a Ken echo fighter, and two underwhelming boring inclusions like a Shadow the Hedgehog echo or another blue-haired Fire Emblem sword-guy.

Gimme Isaac.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hm, just noticed the Fire Emblem music posted on the site is from Fire Emblem Heroes, the smartphone game. We're definitely in a new era.

I actually now strongly believe Dragalia Lost’s Euden will be in the smash following ultimate at least as an assist

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So say that all that is left to announce are two new characters and two Echoes, who would you want?

New:

1. Elma (Xenoblade X)
    2. Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Echo:

1. Ken (Echo of Ryu)
    2. Shadow (Echo of Sonic)

Elma
    Incineroar

Ken
    Dixie Kong

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If we can get characters like Chrom that echo one character but still have a move from someone else as well, I am still holding out hope for James McCloud as a Captain Falcon echo with Fox's blaster replacing Falcon Punch. Never going to happen though but it would be amusing.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    New:
    Waluigi
    Captain Toad (bitter rival of Peach, the scourge of Toads everywhere)
    Zero

Echoes:
    Paula
    Birdo

• Options
    Birdo is a Yoshi echo who just spits eggs instead of throwing them, it's a no-brainer but nobody ever talks about Birdo.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Is it weird to want Sakura over Ken? I like her design more, Ken looks like a blonde recolor.

I think Sakura would be a much more fun choice, but I actually really like Ken. As early as SF2 he had a different hair style, no headband, and they began differentiating his moves pretty quickly. I'm not wild about his new SFV costume but overall I feel like they've done a good job of developing him into his own person, rather than just 'Player 2 Ryu'. Plus, there's the whole history of it, I mean he is the origin of clones in fighting games. I'd be super stoked if Sakura was in Smash, but I won't be disappointed if Ken shows up. I would be disappointed if they don't add any other SF character, because the whole 'echo fighters' concept seems like it's begging for a shotoclone.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/ZBZlcmBETRs

Youtube happened to suggest this video to me, if anyone wants to see some pretty high quality Ridley gameplay.

Nice to see Ridley not lookin like trash.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Some other stuff I'd like to see (but don't expect will happen)
    Fighters
    • Knuckles
    • Amy Rose
    • Quote & Curly Brace (from Cave Story; they'd be alt costumes, but their final smash would have the other appear to follow & assist like in the game)
    • Frog from Chrono Trigger (I think he'd be the easiest CT hero to build a good Smash moveset for; well, him or Ayla)
    • Celes Chere from Final Fantasy VI (ice spell neutral special, runic as a projectile absorbing down special, some kind of dancing blade type side special based on the master's scroll/offering quadruple attacks relic, spinslash variant based on her Spin Edge desperation attack for up special, & either an Esper summon spell or magitek armor for Final Smash, opera sequence references in her taunt and stage, Ultros' sabotage efforts and eventual attack could be the stage hazard)
    • Domino (aka Sami) from Advance Wars (not as an echo of Snake, give her her own moveset using weapons from her concept art and a final smash inspired by her in-game profile)
    • Ramza Beoulve from Final Fantasy Tactics (dual-wielding swordsman with dragoon jump for an up-special, dark knight's lifedrain ranged attack as a side special that has a small hitbox that moves as you hold the input so it's tricky to land, dark knight's self-damaging point-blank area attack for down special, and Ramza's unique temporary self-buff Shout for neutral special if you can channel it for a bit, final smash could be Ultima since Ramza's one of only two characters you get who learns it)

Assist Trophies
    • Bill & Lance from Contra (just have them jump onto the stage, run and gun around it using different Contra weapons, then leave)
    • Vic Viper from Gradius & Life Force/Salamander (does a flyby with a random combination of power-ups from the series)
    • various generic mage class sprites & Rydia from the Final Fantasy series (each casts different spells)
    • for that matter, add the other 3 of the original 6 job class sprites from FF1 (Fighter/Knight, Thief/Ninja, & Black Belt/Master)
    • Sophia & Jason from Blaster Master (attacks in tank for a bit, then Jason hops out and uses some of the on-foot abilities, or something)
    • Plague Knight from Shovel Knight (just hopping around chucking explosives with various properties)

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Hm, just noticed the Fire Emblem music posted on the site is from Fire Emblem Heroes, the smartphone game. We're definitely in a new era.
    I actually now strongly believe Dragalia Lost’s Euden will be in the smash following ultimate at least as an assist
    Sadly, the slot for "anime protagonist that uses a sword and can shapeshift into a dragon" has already been filled.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sakurai, everyone is complaining about all these Anime Swordsmen from Fire Emblem, what are we going to do??

Oh, don’t worry.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I've got a huge list, but to pick just 4:
    New:
    1. Elma
    2. Springman/Ribbon girl (same character, just costumes like the Koopa kids)
    Echo:
    1. Tails (Sonic echo)
    2. Kos-Mos (Elma echo)

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Sadly, the slot for "anime protagonist that uses a sword and can shapeshift into a dragon" has already been filled.

So you're telling me there's echo potential.

In all seriousness I doubt Euden would be in, but every time I say that I'm wrong, so...

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/ZBZlcmBETRs

Youtube happened to suggest this video to me, if anyone wants to see some pretty high quality Ridley gameplay.

Nice to see Ridley not lookin like trash.

Oh yeah, been hard to find good footage of him, but he's actually looking pretty capable. Found another video from the same tournament with the same player, which is also pretty good (though there is an SD).

https://youtu.be/sojYiFbwmI0

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If Geno gets in and has some kind of command grab with a dunk attached it's gonna be awkward.

'cause when Kirby inhales you and drops, that's Kirbycide.
    When Bowser side-Bs you off the ledge, that's Bowsercide.
    When Ganondorf side-Bs you over a pit, that's Ganoncide.
    So when Geno takes you down with him, that's

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ♡♪!?cide

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    If Geno gets added, maybe they can confirm my fan theory that was working for Rosalina all aling.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I still say that Toon Mario & Luigi of the handheld RPG series would be a perfect fit for an Ice Climbers echo.

• Options
    plufim wrote: »
    New:
    1. Elma
    Echo:
    1. Tails (Sonic echo)
    2. Kos-Mos (Elma echo)

I don't think totally different characters will be made into alternate costumes, the Koopa Kids are kind of an exception because there are 7 of them. Gender swaps of player characters are costumes also. But Ribbon Girl would be an echo for sure.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    New:
    1. Elma
    Echo:
    1. Tails (Sonic echo)
    2. Kos-Mos (Elma echo)

I don't think totally different characters will be made into alternate costumes, the Koopa Kids are kind of an exception because there are 7 of them. Gender swaps of player characters are costumes also. But Ribbon Girl would be an echo for sure.

We already have Alph, so...

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    New:
    1. Elma
    Echo:
    1. Tails (Sonic echo)
    2. Kos-Mos (Elma echo)

We already have Alph, so...

True, although that was before echo characters, I guess they're keeping him as a costume. So it's pretty much anything goes - but Alph is a seriously trivial palette and face swap, Ribbon Girl is very distinct.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I just remembered a good candidate for the "character from the past no one predicted" slot:

https://youtu.be/hErObuqvlHs

I've heard the game that became Donkey Kong was originally intended to use the license too, but Nintendo was unable to obtain it at the time.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    New:
    1. Elma
    Echo:
    1. Tails (Sonic echo)
    2. Kos-Mos (Elma echo)

My theory is they'd keep Max Brass to be the echo

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whatever what they do, the character select screen for this game is going to be wild after any DLC - as I recall, echo characters have their own slots but can optionally be merged? They really need to have the ability to flag characters as favorites. Maybe let you define your own groupings.

• Options
    LostChildNESLostChildNES Registered User regular
    Ohhh yeah, thanks a bunch for putting this thread together. Super Smash Brothers is one of my all time favorite games and reading that it'll be dropping in the middle of December just made my night.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Whatever what they do, the character select screen for this game is going to be wild after any DLC - as I recall, echo characters have their own slots but can optionally be merged? They really need to have the ability to flag characters as favorites. Maybe let you define your own groupings.

If you go to the bottom-right of the screen, you can find a "Sort By" feature that lets you organize characters by Debut Date, Smash Bros. Debut Date, Series of Origin, Alphabetical Order, Most Used, Least Used, Color, and Character's Horoscope.

I just made that up, but it would be awesome.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, those of you who were griping about Bayonetta taking over Smash 4 tourneys:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    you're welcome for all the griping, which is the sole inhibitor of that top 32 being all bayo, mission accomplished

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's kind of interesting to me to see this Bayo hate, having not really gotten into the competitive scene of Sm4sh. Not sure how I feel about my honestly favorite character to play as being the one people hate people for playing.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Kirby??

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Kirby??

hiiii

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Kirby being up there is the one that jumped out to me too

Kirby's generally considered pretty bad, yeah? It's not like seeing Ganon or Zelda up there but it still pops a bit

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why are these ultimate tourneys using smash balls? Seems weird since EVERYONE is just agreeing to not use them.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ruleset by the creators of tripping

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    nintendo sets the rules for their prerelease events, and they say smash balls on, presumably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Why are these ultimate tourneys using smash balls? Seems weird since EVERYONE is just agreeing to not use them.

Are people agreeing to not use them? I had assumed that they just declined to go after them because attempting to break the ball was almost always the inferior option from moment-to-moment

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Nah, one of the videos has one of the players get it on accident and purposefully waste it.

But yeah, it's probably Nintendo mandating it to ideally show the new ones off. The thing to do probably would have been to enable the final smash charge mode, unless it is not ready for this build.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BahamutZERO was warned for this.
    trust competitive smash players to be big babies every time I guess

Sterica on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    It's not gonna happen but I wanna Freedom Planet assist trophy. Good game, neat characters.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    trust competitive smash players to be big babies every time I guess

Like, I am super into the competitive Smash scene. I am totally on-board with the arguments against items (though I do think that more stages need to be legal and the damage ratio setting ought to be used to speed the game up). But you play the game by the rules you're given. If Smash Balls are on, throwing away your Final Smashes because they're "anti-competitive" is fucking scrubby.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
This discussion has been closed.