As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm going to push very hard for meter final smashes if we get some tourneys going on this board I tell you what.

It would be down right irresponsible of the community to not try out some various modes this time around. I do some TOing in my area, and im certainly following a lot of rules stuff right now. I'm super worried people are going to try and cut stages for no real reason.

IIRC you can turn off stage mechanics now, which should open up a lot of tourney legal options.

that's what i mean though, people are STILL talking about having only 9 legal stages even with the hazard toggle... even though it's looking like there are really more like 30+ viable stages.

I never understood the whole thing with 'legal stages' in Smash 4. The game gives you the option to turn every stage into a hazard-less Final Destination style platform, but tournaments stick only with a few stages like Smashville and Lylat Cruise. What exactly is so special about those stages over the other Omega versions of stages?

If memory serves, they aren't truly identical. Some float, some don't (like Onett).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm going to push very hard for meter final smashes if we get some tourneys going on this board I tell you what.

It would be down right irresponsible of the community to not try out some various modes this time around. I do some TOing in my area, and im certainly following a lot of rules stuff right now. I'm super worried people are going to try and cut stages for no real reason.

IIRC you can turn off stage mechanics now, which should open up a lot of tourney legal options.

that's what i mean though, people are STILL talking about having only 9 legal stages even with the hazard toggle... even though it's looking like there are really more like 30+ viable stages.

I never understood the whole thing with 'legal stages' in Smash 4. The game gives you the option to turn every stage into a hazard-less Final Destination style platform, but tournaments stick only with a few stages like Smashville and Lylat Cruise. What exactly is so special about those stages over the other Omega versions of stages?

The philosophy of the committees in charge of defining what's tournament legal have an expansive definition of forms of "degenerate play" (spits), which include but are not limited to:

- Players taking damage for any reason other than opposing player action.
    - Structures that are unreachable by any character.
    - Structures that ever permit one character to avoid engaging the opponent indefinitely.
    - If a walk-off exists on any point on the map at any time.
    - If there are ceilings anywhere in the stage. (These can be used to prolong the match.)
    - If there are walls anywhere in the stage. (These can be used to prolong the match.)
    - If any form of non-standard gameplay mechanic (e.g. Golden Plain's coin-collecting concept) exists.

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: I misread the question. The competitive community would actually prefer there to be multiple stage layouts, since Final Destination or Omega versions actually favor some characters over others.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The competitive community would actually prefer there to be multiple stage layouts, since Final Destination or Omega versions actually favor some characters over others.

That's the part I don't get. Save for some differences in size, all of the Final Destination versions of stages are just one single platform. Yet they only ever choose a few certain ones for tournaments. What's the difference?

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i know certain ones they don't pick because there's a vertical wall holding the platform up which can be used by wall-jumpers to recover or wall-clingers to stall

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The competitive community would actually prefer there to be multiple stage layouts, since Final Destination or Omega versions actually favor some characters over others.

That's the part I don't get. Save for some differences in size, all of the Final Destination versions of stages are just one single platform. Yet they only ever choose a few certain ones for tournaments. What's the difference?

Differences in the geometry, if I remember correctly. There's the obvious differences between the ones that are floating platforms and ones that are pillars with walls. But some of the floating platform ones have undersides that are easy to get stuck under when recovering in certain circumstances.

Also, in general, a stage with no platforms affords an advantage to certain characters; particularly ones with a strong projectile game or ones who don't want to do a lot of jumping. That's why people were so excited for Battlefield Mode stages and the hazard toggle.

• Options
    This isn't the most meta-relevant example, but: Little Mac loves Final Destination. He can pretty much completely ignore his naff-ass air game on FD/Omega. But on Battlefield, the enemy can stand on platforms and force him to approach with his bad aerial moves. That's the most extreme example, but there are other characters with more powerful air games who like having platforms to let them launch their air moves from different positions and don't like having a bunch of wide-open space or flat ground.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Was rushing through Grand Central yesterday while visiting New York and trying to make a train, and I passed these two little fan units on the ground - one purple, one yellow. It will remain my greatest regret of 2018 that I did not stop to take a picture and post about Waluigi in here. But I had to make that train.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Was rushing through Grand Central yesterday while visiting New York and trying to make a train, and I passed these two little fan units on the ground - one purple, one yellow. It will remain my greatest regret of 2018 that I did not stop to take a picture and post about Waluigi in here. But I had to make that train.

*looks at avatar*

...Gotta go fast?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

*looks at avatar*

...Gotta go fast?

*looks at username*

...Pound it. :bro:

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

*looks at avatar*

...Gotta go fast?

*looks at username*

...Pound it. :bro:

:bro:

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    So if they don't announce any more how many new chars (including echos) have been added for SSBU?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      edited October 2018
      cloudeagle wrote: »
      BlueBlue wrote: »
      I seriously doubt it'll be the 100% completed game. If it were done by, well, now, Nintendo wouldn't willingly miss Black Friday.
      The game is probably feature complete at this point, and what's left now is a ton of balance and bug testing. But that also means a good chance a lot of stuff may be missing if there's a showstopper bug or blatantly overpowered character that's waiting on a new build.

The game is likely to be 100% finished before Black Friday, but there's still logistical shit like making the carts, getting the ads finished, etc.

Sterica on
      YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      TimFiji wrote: »
      So if they don't announce any more how many new chars (including echos) have been added for SSBU?

4 New Echoes
      -Dark Samus
      -Daisy
      -Chrom
      -Richter Belmont

5 New Unique
      -Inkling
      -Ridley
      -Simon Belmont
      -King K. Rool
      -Isabelle

LordSolarMacharius on
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Kupi's Entirely Too Detailed Newcomer Analysis In Response To A Much Simpler Prompt

Smash 64: 12 newcomers. 12 selectable on CSS. 12 total.
      Necomers: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff

Melee: 14 newcomers. 25 selectable on CSS. 26 total.
      Necomers: Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Mr. Game and Watch

Brawl: 18 newcomers. 35 selectable on CSS. 39 total.
      Necomers: Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Ike, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf
      Cut: Mewtwo, Dr.Mario, Pichu, Roy, Young Link

Smash 4 (Release Day): 15 newcomers. 48 selectable on CSS. 50 total.
      Necomers: Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordsman, Mii Gunner, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt
      Cut: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf
      Returning: Dr. Mario

Smash 4 (DLC): 4 newcomers. 55 selectable on CSS. 57 total.
      Necomers: Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta
      Returning: Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo

Smash Ultimate (Today): 9 newcomers. 70 selectable on the CSS. 74 total.
      Necomers: Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle
      Returning: Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Wolf

I'll note that if we discount DLC, Smash Ultimate represents the largest increase in total playable characters over another edition of Smash Brothers in series history. Puts "don't expect too many newcomers" into perspective.

• Options
      It's honestly freaking absurd how much content is in this game. It's just ridiculous. It puts so many other "complete"/"our biggest ever"/"everything you could ever want" packages to absolute shame.

• Options
      JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
      Does anyone actually give a shit about Waluigi? It seems like a meme that has been taken way too far.

• Options
      He's definitely got legitimate fans, and I'd say that he's more of a defined character than people might give him credit for, though he definitely fails to clear some bars I consider fairly crucial for a spot as a playable character. He's in the right spot as an Assist Trophy.

In other news, evidently the next blog post (Luigi) went up momentarily, and it dropped some new info in the text the same way they did for Greninja: Luigi's new and improved Poltergust is now his grab move.

• Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      Jombalaya wrote: »
      Does anyone actually give a shit about Waluigi? It seems like a meme that has been taken way too far.

Nintendo certainly doesnt.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      ZekZek Registered User regular

Waluigi has been in dozens of games, many of them very popular. I think he's downright famous compared to some of the other characters that have been added by now.

• Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      No one cares about Waluigi. Certainly not anyone who frequents this forum.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      edited October 2018

Waluigi has been in dozens of games, many of them very popular. I think he's downright famous compared to some of the other characters that have been added by now.

Waluigi's most substantial role in a video game was as a villain in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Edition on Gamecube. Saying "he was in a popular game" doesn't really cut it because every single Koopa Kid was in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and that doesn't mean I think they should be in Smash Brothers. Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers etc., for their peculiar irrelevance, at least stand in for something greater than what they actually are (read as: they represent certain eras of gaming). Waluigi represents...the generic filler roster of Mario Sports games???

I'm not hating on people who enjoy Waluigi, because he is fun and has a lot more personality than one would expect, but there isn't quite enough there to make me wish I could play as him in Smash Bros.

TDawg on
      NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

there's dozens of us, dozens!

BahamutZERO.gif
    • Options
      LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
      TDawg wrote: »
      Waluigi's most substantial role in a video game was as a villain in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Edition on Gamecube.

it's like you've never even PLAYED psycho waluigi!

• Options
      BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

Waluigi's most substantial role in a video game was as a villain in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Edition on Gamecube. Saying "he was in a popular game" doesn't really cut it because every single Koopa Kid was in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and that doesn't mean I think they should be in Smash Brothers.

They all are though

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Sterica wrote: »
      cloudeagle wrote: »
      I seriously doubt it'll be the 100% completed game. If it were done by, well, now, Nintendo wouldn't willingly miss Black Friday.
      The game is probably feature complete at this point, and what's left now is a ton of balance and bug testing. But that also means a good chance a lot of stuff may be missing if there's a showstopper bug or blatantly overpowered character that's waiting on a new build.

The game is likely to be 100% finished before Black Friday, but there's still logistical shit like making the carts, getting the ads finished, etc.

True. I think the general rule of thumb is that a game is typically "finished" about a month before release.

Though I'd be surprised if Nintendo would be willing to put out an unpolished version or take the time to make a mostly-complete build when I'm sure they're in a mad sprint to finish as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options

Waluigi's most substantial role in a video game was as a villain in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Edition on Gamecube. Saying "he was in a popular game" doesn't really cut it because every single Koopa Kid was in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and that doesn't mean I think they should be in Smash Brothers.

They all are though

D'oh, good point. Though I think we understand that it's a different situation. Maybe a better pick would have been Boo or Petey Piranha.

• Options
      ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
      if we're going by popularity, waluigi has made more sense to add than at least half a dozen characters even in Melee

y'all forget that the main reason a character gets added is that Sakurai likes them

• Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Today's Smash blog post noted Luigi's throw now uses the Poultergust. Neat touch, I bet that'll be fun to watch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options

Waluigi's most substantial role in a video game was as a villain in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Edition on Gamecube. Saying "he was in a popular game" doesn't really cut it because every single Koopa Kid was in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and that doesn't mean I think they should be in Smash Brothers. Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers etc., for their peculiar irrelevance, at least stand in for something greater than what they actually are (read as: they represent certain eras of gaming). Waluigi represents...the generic filler roster of Mario Sports games???

I'm not hating on people who enjoy Waluigi, because he is fun and has a lot more personality than one would expect, but there isn't quite enough there to make me wish I could play as him in Smash Bros.

How do you feel about Daisy?

• Options
      T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »

Differences in the geometry, if I remember correctly. There's the obvious differences between the ones that are floating platforms and ones that are pillars with walls. But some of the floating platform ones have undersides that are easy to get stuck under when recovering in certain circumstances.

Also, in general, a stage with no platforms affords an advantage to certain characters; particularly ones with a strong projectile game or ones who don't want to do a lot of jumping. That's why people were so excited for Battlefield Mode stages and the hazard toggle.

That makes sense. I recall completing the impossible 'Get 8 KOs on Cruel Melee with Lucina' challenge only by exploiting a glitch while automatically made Lucina grab the ledge when I performed her recovery.

From what we've seen, it looks like Ultimate's FD/Battleground stages are all/mostly the same size and shape, just with different skins.

• Options
      IIRC, SSB4 had subtle differences in edge shape in the Omega stages, but I think it was confirmed that Ultimate doesn't do that.

• Options
      plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      I'd enjoy waluigi being in there, but honestly there's many more characters not included who have a vastly more interesting moveset potential.

Elma, Linkle, Springman, Decidueye, all have very unique potential movesets. Waluigi only has sports games as so reference, which isn't impossible to build a moveset from, but the moves aren't really about the character.

Waluigi is popular because, much like the super crown, his existence is kinda weird and Nintendo barely a knowledge this, leaving the fans to fill in the gaps. The waluigi people want isn't the waluigi that Nintendo created. May as well be asking for Bowsette.

plufim on
      3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      The Great Cave Offensive actually had different platform physics on opposite sides of its Omega form because the physics engine derived some of those values from the texture of the polygon you were standing on.

• Options
      CruorCruor Registered User regular
      The Great Cave Offensive actually had different platform physics on opposite sides of its Omega form because the physics engine derived some of those values from the texture of the polygon you were standing on.

Speaking of Great Cave Offensive, I wonder what it looks like when you turn hazards off. Does it just get rid of all the lava and spikes while leaving the rest of the stage unchanged? Does it alter the layout of the stage?

• Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Removing the lava and spikes would make it actually impossible to die there. It's an enclosed space with the danger zones acting as the way to get KOs.

• Options
      CruorCruor Registered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »
      Removing the lava and spikes would make it actually impossible to die there. It's an enclosed space with the danger zones acting as the way to get KOs.

It's been so long since I played that stage I forgot all about that. Now I really want to know what happens

• Options
      I assume that removing stage hazards is more about the timed/moving mechanics and not static features on the map.

• Options

On a personal level, I like Daisy and she's one of my go-to's for stuff like Mario Kart. But she doesn't really justify a character slot as a unique character...except the Echo thing alleviates that. She's basically Peach with a different model. That's great!

Waluigi wouldn't really work well as an echo without totally betraying everything I like about Waluigi.

• Options

On a personal level, I like Daisy and she's one of my go-to's for stuff like Mario Kart. But she doesn't really justify a character slot as a unique character...except the Echo thing alleviates that. She's basically Peach with a different model. That's great!

Waluigi wouldn't really work well as an echo without totally betraying everything I like about Waluigi.

I agree, Waluigi definitely deserves more than being an echo.

• Options
      DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
      edited October 2018
      I wonder if there is any chance of a 'battle lounge' style online mode. That would be quite fun.

Also are the tournaments local only or online?

DarkMecha on
      Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    This discussion has been closed.