As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The character select screen is a mock-up, the banner is the "leak"

I think it's too low res to really pick up any problems with it. Which I suppose is the point.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yeah, the banner can also be mocked up because of how blurry it is to cover up any obvious Photoshopping in

basically, never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaoB7lnOiXM

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    One odd thing about that leak...
    No additional Pokémon? That's a little strange considering they're more popular than ever. Then again we've got a ton of Pokémon as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten about poor Banjo.

Despite being around for the N64 era of Nintendo, I don't really have any fond memories of that series. I remember it being alright but not really striking a chord with me.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Just to add fuel to the fire but,

The blurriness of the image is because it was never an image. The leak is a snapchat to someone that got out, so it was an image put together from multiple shots of the video.

The only thing I read that could really kill this one is that they could have just researched someone who legit works there in that position and hid the name knowing the super sleuths would find it, but then that leaker could likely be in a heap of trouble for pretty much putting someones job on the line. Of course, if that was the case, you would think his employer would do their research and be able to prove with background stuff in the images from the video (which seems to be taken from them at their work) and see if it really was from this person at the job.

Honestly, leaks like this are sometimes just as entertaining as the actual reveals themselves. This is quite the story.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Eight unrevealed characters beggars belief, especially in light of "slowing the pace of reveals". Even taking the possibility of a mistranslation of that sentence (such that they only meant "it will be a bit longer between Directs this time"), the idea that we have that many characters left to announce before release kind of flies in the face of everything we know. Until there's some harder corroboration I'm on Team Fake.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Eight unrevealed characters beggars belief, especially in light of "slowing the pace of reveals". Even taking the possibility of a mistranslation of that sentence (such that they only meant "it will be a bit longer between Directs this time"), the idea that we have that many characters left to announce before release kind of flies in the face of everything we know. Until there's some harder corroboration I'm on Team Fake.

Sakurai tends to be a modest dude. He never seems to over-promise what he can't deliver, and he's typically saying stuff like "we hope you enjoy this" and such.

Not counting echos, this leak has five new characters (Banjo and Kazooie are almost certainly just one). So far, we've only gotten five completely original new characters (if you just count the Castlevania guys as one). Which makes for 10 new characters if you assume the leak is accurate. Smash 4 got 21 new characters counting DLC. This may explain where his comment about not expecting too many characters comes from.

Not saying the leak is a lock, I just don't think the language used automatically disproves it.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Mega Man to Geno:

"Are you PROTO Proto Man? :o"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Well yeah but like I said, if someone was putting this together there is nothing stopping them from just looking up a name that would work.

What happens AFTERWARD would be key though. I don't think you can get away with just pretending that someone was throwing their job away by leaking information. Of course, if this info has any amount of falsehood, they wouldn't have to bother researching I guess.

On the flipside, I wouldn't put much through into the number of chars and their announcement. Weren't there chars for Smash4 that we didn't know until they were unlocked at release?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In this case Sakurai specifically said we would know the full roster at release.

As for this leak, it is looking promising. The only problem I have with it is no Elma. Other than that, I'm quite ok with the characters on there. This would make SSBU one of the greatest homages to gaming in history.

Also, MS has been buddy buddy with Nintendo lately and they have said they would love Banjo to be in Smash. He would be the perfect representative of the N64 era.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yeah upon thinking about that, it wouldn't make sense to have that image if there were hidden characters.

IMO the one thing standing between this being real or not is what happens with this dude's job. If it is real, that position is going to change real fast. If fake but accurate enough to warrant questioning, they will research the background of the photo's / vid. If fake, they will HAVE to clear the guys name. Or at the very least, his linkedin profile will not change to indicate no longer being employed.

I mean hell, the comment alone being linked to their name kind of is a huge deal. The french in the snapchat says "Fuck Nintendo" or something along those lines.

• Options
    As for echoes, I'm quite ok if Ken and Shadow are all that is left.

I will never have to play Ryu again. I loved his move set so I played him, but he's such a boring character. Ken has always been one of my favorites in SF.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I'll just say that if it IS fake, I've gotta tip my hat to the insane amount of work put into it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did you guys know there’s a possible leak showing Shadow, Ken, Banjo and Kazooie, Mach Rider, Isaac, Geno, and Chorus Kids as new characters? Well it may be fake, but it’s news that doesn’t necessitate fucking spoiler tags.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it doesn't?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah a while ago ste made the declaration that they’re not needed but I still did out of habit/natural politeness, also for suspense reasons

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Yeah a while ago ste made the declaration that they’re not needed but I still did out of habit/natural politeness, also for suspense reasons
    Same.

I know some people like to be surprised by the announcements/Direct reveals.

In case a leak comes true, I always do that as a courtesy to those people.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    New purported leak - there’s a blurry as shit picture of the full banner that shows
    Geno, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids, with Ken and Shadow echoes
    Here’s the pic with additional crazy person red lines:
    1540375679974.png
    Which I guess comes from some French guy what works/worked at Bandai Namco

Too good to be true.
    Isaac. We'll never get Isaac.

Exactly my thinking. This is one of those "EXACTLY EVERYONE YOU WANT IS IN! ESPECIALLY YOUR FAVORITES AND THE PEOPLE YOUVE BEEN WRITING SMASHBOARDS PETITIONS ABOUT!" lists that gains traction because people really want it to be true regardless of everything else.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    To be fair, this seems to be the Smash Bros where Sakurai is putting in characters that have been requested forever, Simon, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool for example. This is the first time where characters that have been highly requested like Isaac and Geno are more likely than ever.

Except Waluigi, because it's never Waluigi time and Sakurai hates fans of his. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that I want Mike from Startropics. C'mon Sakurai.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I wish Nintendo would just acknowledge that StarTropics exists, and I have been wanting Mike to be in Smash since Brawl and I have just given up ever seeing him. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    This thing seems to be spreading rapidly. If this is fake it might be one of the most popular faked leaks ever.

Seeming really really unlikely it’s fake though. I didn’t know the LinkedIn was deleted. They confirmed it was a legit person working there too, which I don’t think can be faked on LinkedIn.

With the traction it is getting, someone would have to address it soon especially with a legit job on the line. Unless it is real where silence is the only option. Not that silence is proof though.

• Options
    I feel bad for the guy....fake or not, you know he is now unemployed. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I mean he brought it on himself right?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, not much sympathy for someone throwing away a career for extremely fleeting fame.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It’s pretty easy to create a fake LinkedIn about a real person if you have enough details on their employment history.

And if LinkedIn finds out that an account is faked, they delete it, which is what apparently happened here. That many new characters this close to launch would be weird, considering their announcement pace so far.

• Options
    Apparently the company was called and it was verified that he did work there at the time. This was before the Linkedin profile disappeared.

I'm sure that (assuming it is real) Nintendo was quick to scrub what they could about this incident. Nintendo Ninjas don't mess around. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    So, uh, I guess the leak is A Thing:

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That's edging a little into the "trying too hard to meme" territory, Wendy's.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Nah it's good, actually

I'm just waiting for Arby's now

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I will never understand this obsession over having the Chorus Kids become characters. They have even less personality and history than Waluigi.

I'm definitely down with Mach Rider being the 'WTF' choice for this game.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    the only thing behind them was that they (and chrom) were a call of the gemastu leak for smash 4, with a rhythm heaven enemy still making it into smash run

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I will never understand this obsession over having the Chorus Kids become characters. They have even less personality and history than Waluigi.

Sakurai just loves his weird wild card picks.

I don't think anyone would have ever asked for Mr Game & Watch and Wii Fitness trainer.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »

Sakurai just loves his weird wild card picks.

I don't think anyone would have ever asked for Mr Game & Watch and Wii Fitness trainer.

I would have if such a thing had occurred to me before those games came out.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm not buying this leak. Low res means they can use existing art of each character and the blur will hide that it's not in the same art style. I also think it would be baffling to have more unique than echo characters left to announce, unless echo characters is their DLC strategy going forward (not a bad idea, mind).

Isaac seems too small as well.

The timing is good for a leak though, but... eh. This would be too easy to fake. If it's not high res or a video, then it's just not compelling enough evidence.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    But... it is a video. The pictures are just what people put together of the video to get the whole pic in one image.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    As someone pointed out, this supposed leak has way too many characters. There's simply not enough time to reveal all of them before release, especially since Sakurai said that reveals will be slowing down.

We're gonna get two more characters - Ken and Incineroar, and that'll be it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »
    But... it is a video. The pictures are just what people put together of the video to get the whole pic in one image.

Apologies, I mean a direct video, not filming a screen or picture. If fake, this is a Snapchat video of a mocked up image, which is often done by fakers.

If this was real and I was leaking , I'd zoom the fuck in on Geno and Banjo Kazooie. Any leak that doesn't try to show the most desired information as clearly as possible is sketchy as hell, like the N64 mini leak that didn't show the controller.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The Chorus Kids aren't who I would pick for a Rhythm Heaven character when Karate Joe is right there, but Rhythm Heaven is a pretty strong ongoing series. I think people's enthusiasm for the Chorus Kids is less about the specific character than the games themselves.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
This discussion has been closed.