As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    We've got a month and a half to go and there's still a LOT about this game we don't know about.

Looks like we're just going to get one more Direct. And I wouldn't be shocked if a few characters don't get revealed until people start finding them after the game was released.

Edit: Come to think of it, we didn't get Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. until after the game was released... in Japan. But we westerners found out before we could play it. That can't happen this time, since it's a worldwide release.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'd also be cool with not everything being announced before the game came out. We could be given no updates between now and release and do just fine.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That seems to be the Smash standard, they hold back like 3 or 4 characters to be discovered at release

I don't THINK Wolf, Lucas, or Lucario were announced in advance for Brawl?

It was a dang decade ago so I don't remember well though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sakurai said they were going to announce all the available characters prior to launch, so until we hear different I'm gonna assume that's still the case.

I imagine we'll get 1 more direct, that goes into the play mode that was blurred last time, then 1, maybe 2 character reveals, and then that'll be it.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    That seems to be the Smash standard, they hold back like 3 or 4 characters to be discovered at release

According to this, Lucario, Toon Link, Rob and Wolf weren't revealed until release... but again, Brawl came out in Japan over a month before westerners got it.

But yeah, I forgot they said they're going to reveal all before release this time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm gonna lay real solid odds-- like 90% or so-- that the last Direct will have a passage something like this:

Sakurai: "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. It's time to reveal the last fighter to be added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Please take a look."
    trailer plays
    Sakurai briefly explains the new character.
    Sakurai: "And that's the last of them. Now you know every character that's going to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
    Beat.
    Sakurai: "Actually, we are continuing to work on the game even after its initial release. Look forward to this DLC character, available in early 2019."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm gonna lay real solid odds-- like 90% or so-- that the last Direct will have a passage something like this:

Sakurai: "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. It's time to reveal the last fighter to be added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Please take a look."
    trailer plays
    Sakurai briefly explains the new character.
    Sakurai: "And that's the last of them. Now you know every character that's going to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
    Beat.
    Sakurai: "Actually, we are continuing to work on the game even after its initial release. Look forward to this DLC character, available in early 2019."

I already earmarked some money for a probable Season Pass.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    There is zero percent chance we don't get DLC characters. Nintendo's only embraced post-release support even more since 4.

Hell, we got a Mewtwo DLC mention during the last 4 Direct. Wouldn't surprise me if Kupi's right.

Edit: 4 for Wii U came out in late November, and Mewtwo hit late April. I wouldn't expect any DLC before that (though they could surprise us, of course)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

all the brawl characters were announced before release

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

all the brawl characters were announced before release

Before the western release, but not the Japanese release.

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    Was Mewtwo really announced before Smash 4 came out? I could have sworn there was a bit of a delay between the launch and DLC directs.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pooch wrote: »
    Was Mewtwo really announced before Smash 4 came out? I could have sworn there was a bit of a delay between the launch and DLC directs.

Before Sm4sh U came out. The 3DS version was already out. The Mewtwo announcement came on the tail end of a Nintendo Direct dedicated to showcasing the stuff the Wii U version had that the 3DS version did not.

• Options
    Pooch wrote: »

Yep. It was during the 50-fact extravaganza the month before the Wii U version hit. It was pretty much just a still image of Mewtwo and "hey, we're working on Mewtwo as the first wave of DLC.

• Options
    Sakurai's Brawl updates got REALLY specific. I'm pretty sure by the end he had highlighted every single character, item, stage and game mode, excepting spoilers related to the subspace emissary

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Sakurai's Brawl updates got REALLY specific. I'm pretty sure by the end he had highlighted every single character, item, stage and game mode, excepting spoilers related to the subspace emissary

Yeah, it's cool looking back on such specific pieces of info being drip-fed over time (if course I also remember people being PISSED if it was just a random factoid or new song).

• Options
    I loved the Brawl blog

iirc it updated on Mondays

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I loved the Brawl blog

iirc it updated on Mondays

It updated M-F for a really long time

• Options
    I remember Monday being the day they typically did the big announcements though?

that might be wrong, this was like ten years ago, obviously

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    The original, for reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwS6481oQk

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Before the end of the blog yes, but they didn't announce any of the secret characters there until after the Japanese release date. Remember they did that whole thing with the spoiler warnings for the secret blog entries too.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I think in the next direct we get 2 unique characters announced, just because Nintendo would want to avoid there being a final count of 69 unique characters.

After all, we still need the "WTF?" character for this entry in the series, and also Elma.

Also 2-3 more echos.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Why would they?

It's such a nice number.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    You can see the headlines now. "Latest Direct shows Smash Brothers Ultimate is going to be Nice"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Smash Bros Roster Totals Out to a Nice, Round 69."

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Super smash Brothers is a real oral sex of a game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah yes.

The weed number.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    New purported leak - there’s a blurry as shit picture of the full banner that shows
    Geno, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids, with Ken and Shadow echoes
    Here’s the pic with additional crazy person red lines:
    1540375679974.png
    Which I guess comes from some French guy what works/worked at Bandai Namco

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    It's not impossible to create a fake LinkedIn, but if this is a work the guy put in the effort.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Who are Chorus kids and Mach Rider?

Thanks Google. Mach Rider is an old NES games, and Chorus Kids are from the Rhythm Heaven game. Those might be far out enough for Sakurai to put in after finishing up wishlists with Banjo, Isaac, and Geno.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

They are throwback characters.
    Mach Rider is from Mach Rider. Chorus Kids are from Rhythm Heaven

Absalon on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ffffffuck I don't wanna get my hopes up, but dang I want that to be true.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ive thought
    Banjo-Kazooie was a possibility for a while now. Rare just released a new statue of them seemingly out of the Blue .
    I figure Conker might be an assist as well

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    New purported leak - there’s a blurry as shit picture of the full banner that shows
    Geno, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids, with Ken and Shadow echoes
    1540375679974.png

Too good to be true.
    Isaac. We'll never get Isaac.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    1540375679974.png

Too good to be true.
    Isaac. We'll never get Isaac.

Fuck thats airtight logic. Especially since Ive said it myself hundreds of times

• Options
    I am highly skeptical of that

I guess I'll spoiler it
    I don't think Japan gives a tenth of a shit about Banjo, that's nearly exclusively a decision for America and Europe, and I don't think they've ever picked a character that's ONLY popular outside of Japan

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I am highly skeptical of that

I guess I'll spoiler it
    I don't think Japan gives a tenth of a shit about Banjo, that's nearly exclusively a decision for America and Europe, and I don't think they've ever picked a character that's ONLY popular outside of Japan
    I mean theres a few. K.Rool ,little Mac, Bayonetta , Daisy.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    100% fake. Even accounting for the image artifacting, the art looks bad. Just compare Isaac to the nearby human characters.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    100% fake. Even accounting for the image artifacting, the art looks bad. Just compare Isaac to the nearby human characters.

Oh yeah the art is also extremely fake, unless it's supposed to be a mockup, but if that's supposed to be a genuine screenshot there's a 0% chance any of this is real

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Banjo-Kazooie actually sold well in Japan. Not to mention Sakurai's said before that (in general) he takes worldwide popularity into account.

As for the leaks, the Chorus Kids were strongly rumored to show up in Smash 4 (there was even a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run), and Sakurai's got a well-known soft spot for Mach Rider. We even got Mach Rider music in Melee.

...not to say this rumor's dead-on since "safe" fake leaks are easy to gin up, but it's not that far-fetched.

This discussion has been closed.