As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now the real [E3 thread] begins...

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My dad will sometimes wistfully look up El Caminos for sale in his area

He had one in its heyday and loved it, but said that it was mandatory to weigh down the back when winter came around, which is a detail that's stuck with me even though I'll never have an El Camino

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Do you not live in the US?

I have never been a car guy.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Do you not live in the US?

I have never been a car guy.

Wait, you're not secretly an Autobot?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to the Assassin's Creed Origins DLC. Hidden Ones was a decent epilogue, if ultimately a little slight. Not entirely convinced it was worth the money, but it wasn't a bad time by any stretch.

Curse of the Pharaohs was a fuckin' banger, though. Those environments were incredible. I hope that expansion sold decent numbers, because I'd love to see that level of ambition and care brought to subsequent DLC. Really impressive stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Capy is working on two other games while it prepares Below for launch, which is a beast of a project unto itself. The team plans on announcing the new games around August.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/02/capy-games-below-new-indie-nathan-vella-interview/

Hopefully that means Below's release is imminent.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Best of Show
    Resident Evil 2
    (Capcom for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Original Game
    Dreams
    (Media Molecule/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best Console Game
    Marvel’s Spider-Man
    (Insomniac Games/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best VR/AR Game
    Tetris Effect
    (Resonair/Enhance/Monstars Inc. Inc for PSVR)

Best PC Game
    Anthem
    (BioWare/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Hardware/Peripheral
    Xbox Adaptive Controller
    (Microsoft)

Best Action Game
    Anthem
    (BioWare/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Action/Adventure
    Marvel’s Spider-Man
    (Insomniac Games/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best RPG
    Kingdom Hearts III
    (Square Enix for PS4, Xbox One)

Best Fighting Game
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    (Bandai Namco Studios/Sorta Ltd./Nintendo for Switch)

Best Racing Game
    Forza Horizon 4
    (Playground Games/Turn 10/Microsoft Studios for PC, Xbox One)

Best Sports Game
    FIFA 19
    (EA Vancouver/EA for PS4, Xbox One)

Best Strategy Game
    Total War: Three Kingdoms
    (Creative Assembly/Sega for PC)

Best Family/Social Game
    Overcooked 2
    (Ghost Town Games/Team 17 for PS4, Switch, Xbox One)

Best Online Multiplayer
    Battlefield V
    (EA DICE/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Independent Game
    Ori and the Will of Wisps
    (Moon Studios/Microsoft for PC, Xbox One)

Best Ongoing Game
    Fortnite
    (Epic for iOS, Mac, PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One)

Special Commendations for Graphics
    Cyberpunk 2077
    (CD PROJEKT RED for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

The Last of Us Part II
    (Naughty Dog/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Ghost of Tsushima
    (Sucker Punch/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Special Commendation for Sound
    The Last of Us Part II
    (Naughty Dog/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Special Commendation for Innovation
    Cyberpunk 2077
    (CD PROJEKT RED for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Resident Evil 2?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2?

I mean, at this point it's almost entirely a whole new game. It'd be like questioning Mario Odyssey getting the nod because Mario 64 also got recognition.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Resident Evil 2?

I mean, at this point it's almost entirely a whole new game. It'd be like questioning Mario Odyssey getting the nod because Mario 64 also got recognition.

All we got out of it was a small trailer though. I wouldn't give an award like Best of Show to any game with just that.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2?

All we got out of it was a small trailer though. I wouldn't give an award like Best of Show to any game with just that.

what we got is not what the E3 critics, who voted on these awards, got

what they got was to play like 45 minutes of the game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There are plenty of gameplay videos out there.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2?

what we got is not what the E3 critics, who voted on these awards, got

what they got was to play like 45 minutes of the game

Yeah it can't be voted for if its not playable by the critics, which is why you don't see cyberpunk anywhere

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Let’s see, 3 of the 22 “Best of Show” games are available for the Switch, or 13.66%

Hopefully, with the Switch continuing to sell like hot cakes, and Doom/Wolfenstein II proving its perfectly possible to port current gen stuff to the Switch, third party support will get better....

• Options
    AAA games are probably going to continue to skip the Switch, it just doesn't have the power for em

It's the home for mid-level and independent games outside of Nintendo's own offerings

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Honestly it’s so good as an indie game platform that I think it DOES have great third party support, just not from the parties we expected.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah the amount of effort to port a AAA game to Switch is going to be orders of magnitude more difficult than between PS4 and Xbone, not really feasible to most studios as a parallel effort. Expect any that do get the Doom treatment to continue to be well after the original releases

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It's really interesting to me to see so many of the critics saying so many good things about Anthem, when the presentation just kind of stumbled and didn't show much of anything new or exciting. I really enjoyed Destiny, but fell out of playing because all the people I know who played at the time upgraded to the XBone, and I just didn't have the cash flow to justify doing so for one game. Now that I have a PS4, and recently convinced a friend to get one as well, I might be looking at this as my multiplayer game aside from Overwatch. I like the aesthetic, I love power armor shit, and flying around like Iron Man is, well, that's kind of why I like video games in the first place. I just hope that they have plans in place to expand classes or whatever.

I guess I should go read more about Anthem.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The things critics were saying about Anthem mostly, in terms of praise, was that it felt very good to play

Since I really hate how bungie games feel, I'm really interested to at least try it based on that information

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yeah the amount of effort to port a AAA game to Switch is going to be orders of magnitude more difficult than between PS4 and Xbone, not really feasible to most studios as a parallel effort. Expect any that do get the Doom treatment to continue to be well after the original releases

Wolf II wasn't too too long after

It wouldn't surprise me if games with presentable low-end PC settings start coming out more on switch, especially as devs get more used to working with it

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    There’s no reason it would happen but now I kind of want an enhanced Red Steel 2 port for the Switch. Or something like it set in that setting, with that level of stylish FPS combat.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Seeing longer form gameplay for Anthem really helps reinforce how poorly put together their stage presentation was. Both the badly paced no content first half and the constantly jumping between perspectives gameplay second half

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Seeing longer form gameplay for Anthem really helps reinforce how poorly put together their stage presentation was. Both the badly paced no content first half and the constantly jumping between perspectives gameplay second half

Yeah this plus the hands-on demo getting high praise from reporters just makes me wonder how the hell that stage presentation happened.

I guess it IS EA.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that gameplay trailer didn't do it for me any more than the stage presentation, it's probably just not for me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I thought the gameplay looked good, but also made me even more hesitant about the ability to play the game at my own pace without needing friends to play with.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Better than the stage demo sure, but it just feels kind of flat (?) I guess? to me. It's not really anything I've not seen before in wow 10 years ago which doesn't help. What if mass effect was basically just wow zones and dungeons? isn't going to do it for me.

I'm sure it will find an audience, but if it really does hinge on hands-on experience to make the sale it'll be tough.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

i can't wait for bioware to be completely tone deaf of the imagery of this giant AT-AT of a mobile base walking through a natural world

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

i can't wait for bioware to be completely tone deaf of the imagery of this giant AT-AT of a mobile base walking through a natural world

This is the studio that had an opportunity to present a story about colonialism and instead went "How about we do Ancient Sinister and Technologically Advanced Alien Race again?"

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Perhaps the Anthem universe is stuffed full of life, most planets have verdant biospheres and so you can blow up and stomp apart all the alien cactuses and giraffes you see because it doesn't matter because there are effectively infinite cactuses and giraffes, the stomped apart ones indistinguishable from the unstomped

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Anthem is already yet another precursor race story so, not sure it'll be much to write home about in that department. I'd just like a satisfying gameplay loop I guess, Destiny is not the best version of itself yet.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I think my favorite Bioware games are always the first of new series because of the giant world building lore dumps

so the ultimate question about Anthem is, does it have a codex

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I don't mind that whole "mysterious beings from the past" story thing, as long as the eventual reveal isn't stupid. I just started getting in to the story after playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for about 5 hours just huntin' robits, and I like where it's going. Like, every time I have thought I know how that world works, I get new information that makes me think about my assumptions a bit more. I don't think the game is going spin my head around or anything, but I want to learn more.

Anyway, Anthem looks promising, but I will have to wait and see if any friends get hyped to play.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    anthem looks like destiny with better traversal, which is exactly what that game needs

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Have they even shown the gameplay for anthem? Everything I've seen is just a dude flying around looking at the scenery.

edit: oh i should probably scroll up

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Have they even shown the gameplay for anthem? Everything I've seen is just a dude flying around looking at the scenery.

edit: oh i should probably scroll up

Just a few posts up!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Literally up the page is 20 minutes of gameplay demo that sparked all this Anthem talk

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    q

This is the studio that had an opportunity to present a story about colonialism and instead went "How about we do Ancient Sinister and Technologically Advanced Alien Race again?"

Ancient
    Sinister
    Technologically
    Advanced
    Race of
    Territorial
    Extraterrestrial
    Sophonts

That spells ASTARTES! Anthem takes place in Warhammer 40000 confirmed!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Anthem will not tell a unique or thoughtful story

But I would content if it was just a good one

Because they've kind of whiffed that the last couple times too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Reminder: 341 days until E3 2019!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    331 days til we get some Playstation 5 leaks