As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Alright, enthusiasm has at least pushed me to download the demo. Infectious enthusiasm is a killer.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Picked this to this afternoon. Decided to pass on loading a previous demo save and rolled a new run with Primrose. First thing I noticed after finishing her chapter one is that there were 3 very obvious path side stories, 2 of which require some one else's path action. I didn't do her story in the demo so I don't know if they were there during that but I didn't run into any thing like that in any of my demo saves.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sp Cyrus gets bonuses sometimes when scrutinizing people. Is there a way to see what he has?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh shiiiit, some allies' unique commands can bring benefits to other allies' commands.
    After picking up Alfyn, I went back to Therion's starter town and used Inquire with one of the NPCs, who granted a permanent success chance increase to Therion's Steal command.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Got the full game! I have Primrose and Olberic from my demo save file, and I'm slowly making my way north and east around the mountains so that I can get to the snow village for the next part of Primrose's story.

Which means that Therion and Alfyn may take a while for me to get to, as they are both pretty much in the opposite direction from the rest of Prim's story. We'll see what happens.

By the way, I noticed that when you recruit a new party member, they seem to be halfway through their chapter 1. Olberic was just about to head out to attack the bandits when I recruited him.

So, when the heck does a parson meet Primrose during her chapter 1? Her activities seem sharply limited until she's right about to enter the catacombs.

Also, Prim's first support ability is lovely.

Enlong on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Got the full game! I have Primrose and Olberic from my demo save file, and I'm slowly making my way north and east around the mountains so that I can get to the snow village for the next part of Primrose's story.

Which means that Therion and Alfyn may take a while for me to get to, as they are both pretty much in the opposite direction from the rest of Prim's story. We'll see what happens.

By the way, I noticed that when you recruit a new party member, they seem to be halfway through their chapter 1. Olberic was just about to head out to attack the bandits when I recruited him.

So, when the heck does a parson meet Primrose during her chapter 1? Her activities seem sharply limited until she's right about to enter the catacombs.

Also, Prim's first support ability is lovely.

Yes, but it prompts you if you "want to hear the beginning of the tale," which would be all the pre-fighting dialog and cutscenes.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Tressa has me wanting to pick up Recettear again

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    So I'm going through the chapter 2s now, and here's a few things to note that have helped me a bunch. Spoilered if you wanna keep blind (all mechanical stuff)

The grind gets real after ch1. Good luck going right into chapter 2 stuff.

You are going to want to go Shrine Hunting after you get everyone to unlock a bunch of secondary jobs. Each Chapter 2 town has a shrine around it. Go visit them.

You probably also need money. A LOT of money. You are probably crying right now because you can only buy one piece of good armor for one character. Go grab Tressa and start roaming to high level areas with the scholar's evasive maneuvers and the cleric's run away++ chance ability.
    She will start snagging 5k+ when you go into those areas and you can unlock towns for later fast travel.

Also you may want to try to recruit some of those high level NPCs with Primose or Ophilia because they do stupid damage.

Expect Ch2 bosses to be hard and long fights. Be ready.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tressa's story is going to make it very awkward for me to recruit Therion.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Mmmmkay I have played for a total of 8 hours thus far (5 today, 3 yesterday with the demo.)

I've recruited four characters and visited 5 towns (I was gonna recruit Therion but decided to nab Alfyn instead firsttt). I keep wanting to go back to old towns to try out new Path Actions but I think I'll just wait til I have everyone first, haha.

I'm super duper in love with this game. I love the complete non-linear free-form structure. It's actually been super chill and relaxing just going from town to town and the in-between areas and just recruiting characters and going through their Ch1s.

Alfyn's boss was ACTUALLY legit hard too, like I dunno if that shit starts to scale with level/number of characters, but him being my fourth translated to a much harder boss than the other three. Hot damn. Thankfully Tressa could self-clear her Poison debuff and Olberic could draw Aggro from all the Snakes (with Prim buffing his Defense).

I can't wait for the difficulty to ramp up though. If that was just a small taste of what it'll start to get like then I'm all fuckin' in.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Alfyn's boss was ACTUALLY legit hard too, like I dunno if that shit starts to scale with level/number of characters, but him being my fourth translated to a much harder boss than the other three. Hot damn. Thankfully Tressa could self-clear her Poison debuff and Olberic could draw Aggro from all the Snakes (with Prim buffing his Defense).

Poison is no joke in this game, it does a very large percentage of your max health in damage. Fortunately it works the same way on enemies too, so turtle-y enemies can be fairly readily rolled down by poison.

• Options
    Should I learn Alfyn's poisoning skill when I get him, then?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    At some point sure if you want, but he can concoct poison bombs easy enough. The only functional differences are using consumables vs SP, and you can dump BP into Empoison for additional duration(2 turns/BP). Poison is fixed%(though I think some enemies are poison weak and take way more than others?) so both ways of applying it do identical actual damage/turn.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Alright.

I just remember getting Enpoison in the demo, and it not working at all on the viper boss, so I'm considering not doing that that early next time.

Speaking of abilities not working like you expected; if y'all are looking at Olberic's Thousand Spears attack, keep in mind that its relative accuracy is very low. You're not likely to hit all the shots it puts out without investing in some accuracy-boosting equipment.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Alright, I gave Primrose’s Chapter a shot in the demo.

I have a feeling I’m going to be making a purchase in two more hours of play time.

• Options
    Square plz

DiDR0GUUcAIp-Wt.jpg

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Oh shiiiit, some allies' unique commands can bring benefits to other allies' commands.
    After picking up Alfyn, I went back to Therion's starter town and used Inquire with one of the NPCs, who granted a permanent success chance increase to Therion's Steal command.

It's only an increased chance in that particular town though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    It scares me that Skyrim is old enough for that joke to be immensely dated.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It annoys me that I only realized Alfyn can concoct a party wide antidote after his boss. I was too focused on using the single version. Way to make things harder on myself.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Also it doesn't need to be a Skyrim joke. Career-ending knee injuries have been around about as long as careers and knees.

Like if it was "this former mercenary took an arrow in the knee", I'd think it was specifically a Skyrim reference.

Also, man, no wonder that dude was such a difficult duel. I will treasure that Captain's Sword.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Welp stayed up way too late playing this

rolled tressa for the merchant memes

made tons of bank grinding in chapter 1

bought a super powerful dagger only to find out tresse is a polearm and bow girl

10/10 absolutely in love with this game

gorgeous graphics, very fun combat, grind grind grind for exp and lootz

i think this and MHW are gonna be tied for goty for me

not sure who to recruit second but i do love me some thievery so might roll full greed team

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Okay straight up, the soundtrack in this game is incredible. The only game in recent memory I remember being so blown away by the OST was Nier: Automata. Almost every town/dungeon/boss song I've heard so far has been REALLY good!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Okay straight up, the soundtrack in this game is incredible. The only game in recent memory I remember being so blown away by the OST was Nier: Automata. Almost every town/dungeon/boss song I've heard so far has been REALLY good!

This is my favorite track so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b10Xe2_x9D8

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    It annoys me that I only realized Alfyn can concoct a party wide antidote after his boss. I was too focused on using the single version. Way to make things harder on myself.

Uh, wait, how

I was under the assumption he could only do single target as well............

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Olberic: "A duel, fair and square!"

<Person at the entrance of a town>: "You do realize you don't need to fight to enter here?"

• Options
    Tressa's purchase ability is so good. There are so many earrings to buy.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Uh, wait, how

I was under the assumption he could only do single target as well............

The first component you pick, one of them determines if it's single target or party wide.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    "Small volume" = single target
    "Large volume" = multi target

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Loving it so far. Started with Tressa (so much money!) and am moving clockwise so have Olberic and Primrose now.

In the demo I only solo’d every story and the combat with more party members is sooooo much better. Boss fights are much more difficult and interesting with a bigger team.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This game really seems to drain my switch battery.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

AAAAAGH

I just assumed that was "small heal" and "bigger heal"

Fuck. Agh. Shit.

Oh well. Now I know!

On an unrelated note, how exactly does Tressa's passive work? It seems sorta random? Is it just a random chance while walking around, or is it like when zoning into a new map, or?

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Welp stayed up way too late playing this

rolled tressa for the merchant memes

made tons of bank grinding in chapter 1

bought a super powerful dagger only to find out tresse is a polearm and bow girl

10/10 absolutely in love with this game

gorgeous graphics, very fun combat, grind grind grind for exp and lootz

i think this and MHW are gonna be tied for goty for me

not sure who to recruit second but i do love me some thievery so might roll full greed team

This is basically me last night. Did the same things. At least she could wear that black armor the vendor also sells.

I really like Tressa though. Hopefully the other characters have as much or more personality.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Seems to be only when entering a new map.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I'm a few hours into this. I am so happy with my choice of starting character.

Tressa for Smash.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

AAAAAGH

I just assumed that was "small heal" and "bigger heal"

Fuck. Agh. Shit.

Oh well. Now I know!

On an unrelated note, how exactly does Tressa's passive work? It seems sorta random? Is it just a random chance while walking around, or is it like when zoning into a new map, or?

Mild = small effect
    Potent = large (medium?) effect

I have no idea if there's a 3rd tier or not, but the potency is listed too!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Man, this game is legit. After getting Alfyn I'm just rolling up to everyone and getting them to spill all their secrets lol

Still not sure what I need to do to complete the
    Daughter of the Dark God (I)
    quest in Bolderfall. But I want to because that sounds Very Important.

edzepp on
  • Options
    In hindsight, that makes sense. Big potency == stronger effect, whereas big volume == more of it.

I know cross-classing is a thing; if Tressa is an apothacery, can her Endless Items passive cause her to sometimes not expend ingredients when mixing items? Oh wait, or is the mixing items thing only available for Alfyn himself, since it's not under the "Merchant Abilities" header?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm a few hours into this. I am so happy with my choice of starting character.

Tressa for Smash.

Yeah I'm officially a big Tressa fan. I love hearing her say you got more than you bargained for! or time to close up shop! after defeating an enemy.

For her ability though when it says she spots some money does that mean I automatically pick it up? Or do I need to look for it?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Olberic: "A duel, fair and square!"

<Person at the entrance of a town>: "You do realize you don't need to fight to enter here?"

My favorite thing in this game is the mental image of Olberic walking up to some geriatric grandpa or something and going "COME FRIEND, A DUEL!" and they go all "eh? wha? what's that sonny?"

And then Olberic whomps them flat on their fucking ass and they're knocked out STONE COLD and Olberic goes "Ahhh, a good duel. Thanks for the fight~" and the only words they can muster are "n-nuhhh"

Aaaand then he goes and raids their house.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I like that the only reason H'aanit's action is the Rogue version is that she doesn't even bother with the excuse of a duel when she wants to beat someone up and raid their house.