As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Say what you will about "maybe they should have focused on telling fewer stories and telling them better"; I think it's rad as shit that people are finding that certain characters (and their stories, and their abilities) appeal more to them than others, because it means that people are going to experience the fights and their path through the game differently.

I'm starting as Cyrus and have been leaning toward a party of Ophilia, Olberic and Tressa, but at the same time, it would hurt not to grab Therion early. One of my best buds IRL always plays the thief, and I'm going to want to have him along for the nostalgia ride to remind myself of those childhood all-nighters when we'd blast through old-school RPGs.

I may have to go Cyrus -> Therion and then see how I'm feeling.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Kotaku spilled the beans on a post credits thing.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Are skills just leaned through levels, or are any gated through story chapters?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Septus wrote: »
    Are skills just leaned through levels, or are any gated through story chapters?
    Job Points.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like this concept of choosing which skill to learn next.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I started the game last night, choosing Primrose. Did her first story thing, stepped outside, visited the nearby merchant, and fell asleep. It occurs to me now that having a 2.5-year old and a 9-week old means finishing this game is going to take a long time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I've been following all the endgame stuff and it has gotten pretty wild. It feels like most games that come out these days don't have actual secrets, usually all the content is pretty up front. And now you have Octopath and the subreddit/resetera/etc are going wild over trying to figure things out. It's safe to say, even right now, nobody has seen the "true ending".

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to go fashionpath traveler

but Ophilia/warrior would be total nonsense

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Why is the flame guardian so hard? I can't kill the minions fast enough to put damage in the dude. It's like I'm missing a party member.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Why is the flame guardian so hard? I can't kill the minions fast enough to put damage in the dude. It's like I'm missing a party member.
    I ended up bringing along one of the guards from outside the cave to summon so they do extra damage

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This got advertised in FFRK and made me curious. It certainly looks like the sort of game I'd like, and I love the sprite work.

However, I don't think I should buy a Switch JUST for it, since I haven't finished a game in years at this point. Maybe some day.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    welp Amazon updated my delivery from 'definitely today' to 'maybe by tuesday?'.

I guess I could download the demo tonight and hopefully it arrives tomorrow

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Played the first demo when it came out, didn't play the second demo because I knew I was going to buy it.

Started with Tressa because she's the best. This game is exactly what I wanted for the Switch.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think this is gonna be one of those games that becomes a console defining title. This is gonna be among the handful of games that in 10 years people are still talking about as being one of the best on this system.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think this is gonna be one of those games that becomes a console defining title. This is gonna be among the handful of games that in 10 years people are still talking about as being one of the best on this system.

Nooo, don't say this, you'll break my willpower and I'll make an impulse purchase.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    With the second demo, I went:

Therion -> H'aanit -> Ophelia. In the actual game, I picked up Cyrus a little bit ago. They're simply murdering everything in their path at the moment. Quatropath Murderbots. And, yeah, Cyrus is OP:
    His Scrutinize ability gives you a variety of things when it works, from junk you can sell for cash, to unlocking a hidden treasure somewhere on the map (usually healing/support items), to getting discounts at inns, and even making weapon stores get new stock. In combat, he passively uncovers 1 enemy weakness (for all enemies on the screen!) per battle. And he has that encounter lowering ability. And he's also, essentially, an AOE elemental Black Mage.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I saw lots of internet love pre-release for tressa from i guess the demo? (which i didn't play) So i picked her to start, ye gods she's boring and annoying. Onto therion now and enjoying it much more

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm half an hour in and already loving Therion. Why yes I'd love to rob this entire town blind and also have 207 evasion at level 1, thank you!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It's a testament to how well balanced the game is that:
    1. I'm level 13, 4 characters recruited, and so far have survived without a healing spell.
    2. I have a reason to want every person I've picked up so far in my party.
    3. Money feels tight, even with a thief.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Do you eat a lot of grapes?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I have to swing by Best Buy and pick my CE up. It looks like I didn't get my gamer discount this time.

• Options
    Do you eat a lot of grapes?

Not really! I've used a few, but it doesn't feel like I've used a lot. I'm on my way to pick up Ophelia and I'll probably use her, but I could see myself surviving solely with Tressa on item duty or using allure to grab townspeople who I know will heal me.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Best Buy near me had a Wayfarer's Edition still so just preordered it for online pickup. Order should be ready right as my shift ends. Son and Wife are out of town the entire weekend. Gotta remember to eat and sleep!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, finally home from work. I've got absolutely zero plans this weekend, so pretty much all I'm gonna do is play this game. It's gonna be great.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh man, I saw in the options that you could disable shadow corners or something and my assumption was that it was a graphical option to improve the frame rate, like maybe ambient occlusion. Turns out it's for the vignette effect on the whole screen! Looks better and clearer with it off.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Oh man, I saw in the options that you could disable shadow corners or something and my assumption was that it was a graphical option to improve the frame rate, like maybe ambient occlusion. Turns out it's for the vignette effect on the whole screen! Looks better and clearer with it off.

Yeah. I will probably shut that off.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I have to swing by Best Buy and pick my CE up. It looks like I didn't get my gamer discount this time.

You should have gotten it if you're still active. Talk to the folks in the store.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Maguano wrote: »
    i've been trying to go into this as blind as possible, but is the first character you choose the one that will be the primary for the entire game?
    Yes

Aww, I had been hoping to run through the whole game with Team Noble and Team Rogue sticking to their own storylines.

• Options
    Heh, you can actually Scrutinize the guard dogs in Bolderfall and it shows you their full biography with all their hopes and dreams as if they were people. Plus it always succeeds. Cyrus is basically a dog whisperer.

• Options
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wow Steal SP is pretty gross, and is basically a free "fuck you" on broken enemies. It does like two times the damage of an auto attack across two dagger hits and it only costs 6 SP, but returns 5% of the damage done as SP and also has no cooldown so it's basically spammable, and it effectively costs zero to use by default by the time you're out of the first town.

• Options
    Geez.

I hope there's a lot of stupid-strong moves like that, but also enemies that demand that strength of you. The Bravely games are good at that balance.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Wow Steal SP is pretty gross, and is basically a free "fuck you" on broken enemies. It does like two times the damage of an auto attack across two dagger hits and it only costs 6 SP, but returns 5% of the damage done as SP and also has no cooldown so it's basically spammable, and it effectively costs zero to use by default by the time you're out of the first town.

Steal HP is pretty awesome as well. "Oh, I'm hurt? Well, I'll simply overheal myself back to full while maiming you."

Therion doesn't fuck around.

• Options
    the fuck

DiBRhzBU8AAUlgD.jpg

• Options
    mWgcF8t.png

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Geez.

I hope there's a lot of stupid-strong moves like that, but also enemies that demand that strength of you. The Bravely games are good at that balance.

I'm still gathering party members, but this game is definitely ramping up the difficulty. When I had 2-3 party members, it felt easy. Now that I have my fourth party member, it feels like the game took the kid gloves off.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    the fuck

DiBRhzBU8AAUlgD.jpg

File that into the fanfiction prompts folder.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The Best Buy guy thought my CE was cool, but he didn't know what it was.

Krathoon on