As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I started with Primose. I uhh...wasn't expecting this to be as dark as it is!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the music in Flamesgrace.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there any actual difference between the Hunter's ability "Provoke" and the Warrior's ability "Challenge"? As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same thing.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there any actual difference between the Hunter's ability "Provoke" and the Warrior's ability "Challenge"? As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same thing.

I forget the actual terms they use, but it's basically paragon vs renegade. One will always work 100%, but you might need to be a specific level or pay something. The other works anytime and for free, but you have a percent chance to fail and your reputation is lowered. And if your reputation is too low, then you can't use field skills at all until you pay someone in town to restore it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    See also Allure vs Guide, Steal vs Purchase, and Observe vs Inquire.

• Options
    Couple hours in, this game is giving a strong first impression. I'm loving it so far, and I've only unlocked two characters.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    In another case of reviewers not doing enough in a game to know what they are talking about, there are people saying that party interactions get much more involved as the game goes on and as you complete people’s stories.

Some scenes involve the whole party, are different depending on who you have, and get rather lengthy.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Finished all the character chapter ones in the demo last night and decided on Tressa as my main. She's too cute and having extra money is always a good thing!

Can't wait to dig in tonight when I get home from work.

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    I've had the wayfarer edition pre-ordered from Amazon and it's still showing they don't know when they are going to ship it. :x

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And now a post game dungeon has been confirmed.

It takes completion of a lot of side quests that lead up to accessing it.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

y5LzEku.png

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Anyway like Spawnbroker, I also started with Primrose, and BOY that was fucking dark. I kinda knew that going in, but WHEWWWwww.

But it was also really empowering at the end of Ch1.
    "I dance for me now."

SO GOOD.

also jesus fuck that whole exchange between Helgenish and Primrose was so fuckin' gross. Fucking pig got what he deserved, A KNIFE TO THE THROAT.

I like her character a lot so far. Can't wait to start the real thing today!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    i've been trying to go into this as blind as possible, but is the first character you choose the one that will be the primary for the entire game?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    i've been trying to go into this as blind as possible, but is the first character you choose the one that will be the primary for the entire game?
    Yes

• Options
    A small warning/piece of advice: Consider making a second save when deciding to do another character's recruitment, just in case.

I'm doing Alfyn 4th, and his boss is kind of kicking my ass. Mainly because only Cyrus and Alfyn have attacks that can break the snake, who has 8 shield points. And I'm stuck in a town that doesn't sell weapons for Olberic or Tressa. I don't feel like I'm completely stuck yet, I'm in grinding distance of Cyrus's 2-hit ice attack. But I don't have a lot of options past that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I ordered it through the shop last night, let it download, and i have my switch at work right now, waiting for my lunch to start working on the game. I only played the first original demo that came out and avoided playing the more recent ones and most news so i could go in blind. Can't wait until lunch....will probably be doing deep dives into the game this weekened.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I only had about an hour to play last night (on the demo) and I started H'aanti like I planned. Her wacky fake olde English accent isn't bothering me too much so I'm happy with the choice.

Is it possible to recruit other dudes in any order? I think my plan is going to be to put a "balanced party" together asap. Like with tank, heals, dps. If that's a thing. I really don't know. But I think right now I'm targeting Primrose 2nd, then Olberik, then the Cleric (forget her name) and then the thief. Everyone else after that.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I only had about an hour to play last night (on the demo) and I started H'aanti like I planned. Her wacky fake olde English accent isn't bothering me too much so I'm happy with the choice.

Is it possible to recruit other dudes in any order? I think my plan is going to be to put a "balanced party" together asap. Like with tank, heals, dps. If that's a thing. I really don't know. But I think right now I'm targeting Primrose 2nd, then Olberik, then the Cleric (forget her name) and then the thief. Everyone else after that.

Yeah you can do recruitment in any order, but you do have to physically travel there, and so it's actually much more efficient to just go in a circle and recruit dudes along the way?

But you can specifically seek out the exact characters you want if you decide to do that, it'll just take a while to get there.

Prim and Olberic are like RIGHT next to each other, though.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    There's a fast travel mechanic in the game. At the very least just stop in their town along the way, then you can fly on back whenever you're ready to recruit.

• Options
    Yeah, you can fast travel to any towns you've visited. So it's not a big deal to skip someone on the way to someone else.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Played a bit last night and then a little more this morning before work. Still have 3 characters to unlock but managed to grab some extra jobs. Gonna be putting a lot of hours into this, heh...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to do recruitment in OCTOPATH order, starting with Ophilia.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Octopath is in my brain pretty bad. And I'm stuck here at work for another like 5 hours. This is brutal.

• Options
    I usually never play with thieves merchants(*cough*) in my party, but I might have to in this game. I'm finding so much discount stuff on townspeople that isn't sold in stores with Tressa in my party.

Before her, I had found one accessory. Now my entire party is decked out with earrings and shit.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten delivery yet but I was thinking about playing more of the demo while I wait... I cannot decide who to go with first. I feel like story reasons and game play reasons are two separate issues. I keep thinking, who is going to be SO useful they should always be in my party? And it's either Tessa or one of the information gatherers, I think.... I like Tressa. And her story is interesting, but maybe I like Primrose's story more... But game play mechanics wise I'm not sure if she's indispensable or someone who should ALWAYS be there. And actually I haven't played half of the characters yet (I've done Cyrus, Primrose, Tressa... I thought I did Olberic but you know maybe I didn't...). I feel like playing all eight stories before I decide is going to take the fun out of it, though.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I did Therion, H'aanit, Olberic, Tressa, and up to Cyrus's boss in the demo. Tressa's story hooked me the least out of them all although that might have to do with my irritation at her getting called "Lass" every other sentence. A chance at free money every loading screen was coming though, especially with how tight cash was in the demo.

• Options
    Dh__ViaVAAYUNkJ.jpg:small

heck yes my dudes

today we start a JOURNEY

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Counter-clockwise starting with Tressa. If you want H'aanit or Alfyn to be way OP, go look up getting the Golden Axe. (Before recruiting Alfyn)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    As far as "character you'll probably want in the party the most" goes, so far the top spot seems to be either Cyrus or Tressa. Tressa just picks up money as you're walking, anywhere from 50 to 500 I've seen. And she has a skill that earns even more money in battle. Cyrus will discover a weakness on every enemy, every battle. So spend long enough in a dungeon and he'll just discover all of them, saving you the trial and error. But more importantly he has the sanity saving "reduce encounters" skill, which actually works. The default encounter rate feels just a touch high. With it on though, it almost feels too low. To the point that I'd worry about leaving it on too long, lest you're underleveled for things.

I picked Cyrus, and the only downside to him is that he's the classic mage character. Problem is, like any mage character his magic is everything. Run out of sp and he's useless. That, and it feels like you're just wasting sp if you're not boosting when you cast spells, because they don't do that much by themselves. My general random encounter plan is to have him defend, which usually lets him go first next turn, then just boost x3. He usually wreaks the enemy party this way, but he will eventually run out of sp.

• Options
    Gotta carry lots of ethers for him it sounds like. Or Pomegranates or whatever they are. I think they can be bought relatively cheaply from what I've seen.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    It's a little funny that Cyrus has that skill because I felt like the encounter rate in his dungeon was significantly lower than any of the other characters I played.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    As far as "character you'll probably want in the party the most" goes, so far the top spot seems to be either Cyrus or Tressa. Tressa just picks up money as you're walking, anywhere from 50 to 500 I've seen. And she has a skill that earns even more money in battle. Cyrus will discover a weakness on every enemy, every battle. So spend long enough in a dungeon and he'll just discover all of them, saving you the trial and error. But more importantly he has the sanity saving "reduce encounters" skill, which actually works. The default encounter rate feels just a touch high. With it on though, it almost feels too low. To the point that I'd worry about leaving it on too long, lest you're underleveled for things.

I picked Cyrus, and the only downside to him is that he's the classic mage character. Problem is, like any mage character his magic is everything. Run out of sp and he's useless. That, and it feels like you're just wasting sp if you're not boosting when you cast spells, because they don't do that much by themselves. My general random encounter plan is to have him defend, which usually lets him go first next turn, then just boost x3. He usually wreaks the enemy party this way, but he will eventually run out of sp.

That's kinda why I like Primrose? She's sort of like a hybrid character, pretty decent physical attack but also has access to Dark spells. Seems good, don't always need to use your spells if you don't need it.

Also her Summon ability is fucking insane. Picked up some lecherous old grandpa in Sunshade and this dude is fuckin' SWOLE AS SHIT. He's hitting like a truck wtfff

And later on after I cleared her Ch1, I went back and there was this Star Dancer with a 30% success rate, nabbed her and SHE'S RIDICULOUS. She can toss out these really good buffs and she hits EVEN GODDAMN HARDER than Ol' Grampy Pervs.

I guess Prim's only downfall is that she can seemingly only do Dark magic, but, I guess that's what dual classes are for.

Also she's got some nice team buffs~

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    My demo file currently has Primrose as the main character, and I just recruited Olberic.

I really want to see where Prim's story leads. Also, her dances are just always gonna be good, I think. I can see me using Lion Dance and Peacock Strut for so many fights.

• Options
    I actually love games with support characters who do support through buffs and debuffs.

I very strongly dislike games with the "holy trinity" of Tank/Heal/DPS. I think that's so boring. Strong support is the 4th pillar and makes for much more tactical and interesting fights in the games that have it well implemented.

Dancer/Bard are two of my favorite Final Fantasy classes, and I liked them a lot in Bravely too. Or rather their approximations. I don't think Bravely actually has a "bard" class or a "dancer" class either one, but it definitely has things similar.

And anyway, for anyone here who might have played EQ way back in the day, Bard there was easily my favorite class, with Enchanter being a close second.

Basically, I really like classes that are useful in roles outside of tanking, healing, or DPSing.

For anyone who plays FFRK, they know that Ramza, Onion Knight, Ferris, and the other top tier supports are the true heroes of that game.

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Ugh, thanks Amazon for ruining the weekend. I cancelled my "preorder" from them and ordered the Wayfarer's edition from BB and got a shipping notice like an hour later.

• Options
    I actually love games with support characters who do support through buffs and debuffs.

I very strongly dislike games with the "holy trinity" of Tank/Heal/DPS. I think that's so boring. Strong support is the 4th pillar and makes for much more tactical and interesting fights in the games that have it well implemented.

Dancer/Bard are two of my favorite Final Fantasy classes, and I liked them a lot in Bravely too. Or rather their approximations. I don't think Bravely actually has a "bard" class or a "dancer" class either one, but it definitely has things similar.

And anyway, for anyone here who might have played EQ way back in the day, Bard there was easily my favorite class, with Enchanter being a close second.

Basically, I really like classes that are useful in roles outside of tanking, healing, or DPSing.

For anyone who plays FFRK, they know that Ramza, Onion Knight, Ferris, and the other top tier supports are the true heroes of that game.

Bravely doesn't have Bard or Dancer, but Performer is basically both, and by god, it's glorious. I have very fond memories of buffing the whole team with dances, and then getting into the amazingly cheesy endgame strategy of spamming My Hero to give everyone near-infinite turns.

Then I played Bravely Second, and learned the Astrologian/Bishop combo. I love buffs.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yyyyeah, starting my adventure as Therion I think. In a fantasy world filled with untold treasures, there's no way I'm going to be anything except the one best qualified to nick anything that's not nailed down.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Yyyyeah, starting my adventure as Therion I think. In a fantasy world filled with untold treasures, there's no way I'm going to be anything except the one best qualified to nick anything that's not nailed down.

Speaking of Therion, I think there's some Chests only he can unlock? I found a Blue locked one on the way to Rippletide, leaving Olberic's town. Gotta remember to come back to that once I get him..

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I found a chest in H'aanti's town that I couldn't open.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Has anyone heard of an official strategy guide release to accompany the game? RPGs and strategy guides go hand-in-hand and I'd rather have an official book with artwork and pictures and missable details printed clearly rather than rely on slow-trickled news and ad-filled guides from sites like IGN, Polygon and the rest.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear