Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I spent a couple more hours on Salavador last night with no success. I'm just gonna give it a rest now and try to unlock Seize and see if that also gets me any more ability points so I can put into Launch damage.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    tiftuo eht tog I, yay
    <3 .sehtolc reh elots neht drah os reh delloR .ecnahc a dah reven esseJ

!won ideJ a m'I :tide

Any tips on this one?
    I was getting destroyed.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Aioua wrote: »
    tiftuo eht tog I, yay

Any tips on this one?
    I was getting destroyed.
    Relentless aggression. Stay as close as possible. Most of the danger comes from being far away. I just ran at her and never stopped shooting/throwing things.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    What are your builds? Like... with the exception of the two bosses that didn't have conventional mechanics about them, all the bosses were just bigger HP bar enemies with a wave or so of adds.

Grip and Launch pretty much make the other combat modes skills redundant.

Because the AI tends to fight conservatively, putting a single obstruction between you and the boss (or enemies) with two openings, and alternating sides to attack from should work on all of them. You don't really need to shield or seize things.

Shielded guys will push occasionally, and sometimes they'll throw grenades but you can just toss them back or dodge and then get back to your one area. The game's other bread and butter rusher (the explosive dudes) are weak. The only real threatening enemy in the game was the banshee (I forgot what they call them, but they teleport and have higher burst than the explosive dudes). Falling down holes and blowing myself up accidentally accounted for most of my deaths.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The only gun I used was grip. I didn't even open most of the other ones up. Used the infini ammo mod and damage boost for that.

Then the only combat power I used was throwing things. So my skill points were all focused in health, power, throwing things with the personal mods focused on the same.

Since all the skills draw from the same power pool it didn't really feel beneficial to be using multiple powers.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The game can be a bit ...random... when deciding what mods you find. The first thing I put on my Grip was a +damage mod. Then it took until the final hour of the game before I found a second +damage.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    tiftuo eht tog I, yay

Any tips on this one?
    I was getting destroyed.

Cheese strategy
    get up in her face and get relentless for the first two stages, but as soon as she starts levitating, go to the second floor and hide behind a column

Her AI breaks and she loses you completely and then you can just pop in and out and shoot her with whatever

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This game is really good. About 30 minutes in but the audio n visuals are something else.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I actually had the exact opposite strategy for that fight. Stage 1, if you have distance the boss uses attacks that can easily be launched back for good damage. Stage 2, the boss is basically just a variation on the "throw when shielded, shoot, dodge what they throw at you" enemies. Stage three you can use the pillar cheese, but there's a super obvious attack that even has a marker and if you use shield to block it, you get a free shield toss hit and can headshot at close range with impunity.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That's like the opposite of how I did the spoilered fight people are talking about...
    I just stayed on the two upper areas. Until her flight form she would mostly just run around the middle area. Occasionally she'd start to come up the stairs but if I gave her a launched rock or a blast of Pierce in the face she'd back off again. Once she could fly she'd just hover around the outside of the landing and I could easily keep the pillar between us.

Like tastydonuts said, that was pretty much my tactics on every boss fight: keep a pillar between me and the boss and focus down ads whenever they spawned.

Also, the banshee doesn't teleport. They turn invisible with varying levels of invisibility but if you can guess where it is you can always launch a box into them for damage.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    On the spoilered fight, I took an aggressive posture in the first part of it because I was so tired of running back and trying again after dying that I would go in there every time like FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU and just be an asshole to them

• Options
    edited September 2019
    That's like the opposite of how I did the spoilered fight people are talking about...
    I just stayed on the two upper areas. Until her flight form she would mostly just run around the middle area. Occasionally she'd start to come up the stairs but if I gave her a launched rock or a blast of Pierce in the face she'd back off again. Once she could fly she'd just hover around the outside of the landing and I could easily keep the pillar between us.

Like tastydonuts said, that was pretty much my tactics on every boss fight: keep a pillar between me and the boss and focus down ads whenever they spawned.

Also, the banshee doesn't teleport. They turn invisible with varying levels of invisibility but if you can guess where it is you can always launch a box into them for damage.

Any sufficiently ignored/unnoticed vanishing from point a and reappearing at point b is indistinguishable from teleporting, my dear CptHamilton.

edit: and yeah, they die to throwing things at open spaces just the same as anything that you can see. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Ok who decided to put the mold boss fight like 10+ minutes from the closest checkpoint. I've seen everyone complaining about it in this thread but I was still surprised and annoyed when I got to it. They really need a "load at boss fight option" for stuff like this.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Smurph wrote: »
    Ok who decided to put the mold boss fight like 10+ minutes from the closest checkpoint. I've seen everyone complaining about it in this thread but I was still surprised and annoyed when I got to it. They really need a "load at boss fight option" for stuff like this.

Hey, there's a checkpoint. You just have to manually trigger/set it*. It's above the hole you go into (near the fresh corpses). While you still have to fight a few guys, it's what a minute tops?

edit: *while your progress is generally saved, the control point you're bound to doesn't automatically update or change.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

Hey, there's a checkpoint. You just have to manually trigger/set it*. It's above the hole you go into (near the fresh corpses). While you still have to fight a few guys, it's what a minute tops?

edit: *while your progress is generally saved, the control point you're bound to doesn't automatically update or change.

Yup. There's a
    base camp right above the mold hole. Look for the stairs on the upper left when first entering that area.

Also you can run past the mold mooks, don't need to fight.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tactic for mold:
    I stood behind the pillar you drop down on and never got hit, strafed a little when the spores fly in though not far enough to leave the cover. Launched the gross balls from the ceiling at them. When the balls ran out I moved to the next pillar and did the same thing. Barely got hit, I don’t think the boss understands cover.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

There’s an article on Ars Technica about how games should have Very Easy modes so everyone can enjoy them.

Control is pretty much the perfect example in my mind of why this should be the case.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    There’s an article on Ars Technica about how games should have Very Easy modes so everyone can enjoy them.

Control is pretty much the perfect example in my mind of why this should be the case.

Yeah unless a game is built around challenge, then you just kind of wreck the whole thing.

"Yeah nah."

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Yeah unless a game is built around challenge, then you just kind of wreck the whole thing.

"Yeah nah."

Even games built around being challenging can have worthwhile story and lore that can get barricaded away behind difficulty settings.

Personal example: I bought the original Dark Souls a few years back in a Steam sale. After playing it for about two hours, I decided that I wasn't willing to put in the effort to git gud and left it there. And as a result, I've skipped over Dark Souls II, Bloodborne, Sekiro, under the assumption that due to their difficulty setting I won't enjoy them. While I'd like to play through those games for their story and lore, I have no interest in meeting those games on their terms with regards to difficulty.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

"Yeah nah."

Yeah. I hate to push against that kind of talk—as some simply can't do as much as others—but... I just don't really see the argument for a "super easy mode" in this one.

The bar to trivialization of its content is just... low, and even if this game is supposed to have adaptive difficulty, it hardly uses its diversity of enemies to produce a challenging encounter... spending minutes fighting off a horde of enemies in the hopes that they'll win by attrition and chip damage just doesn't cut it. But again, to each his/her own and all that.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

"Yeah nah."

Yeah. I hate to push against that kind of talk—as some simply can't do as much as others—but... I just don't really see the argument for a "super easy mode" in this one.

The bar to trivialization of its content is just... low, and even if this game is supposed to have adaptive difficulty, it hardly uses its diversity of enemies to produce a challenging encounter... spending minutes fighting off a horde of enemies in the hopes that they'll win by attrition and chip damage just doesn't cut it. But again, to each his/her own and all that.

I'm pretty bad at video games but I play them enough to not be terrible. It still took me a frustrating number of attempts to finish a couple of fights. Given the focus on exploration and reading documents over combat I can see where the game could benefit from a 'you basically can't die' mode. Even just for boss fights. The random encounters and areas where you just have to fight a bunch of guys were never that difficult or challenging, but getting stuck running down the same tunnels over and over to re-try the Former fight or the Mold was a pain in the ass.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Those two fights actually shifted away from the game's conventional gameplay though...
    I had to retry Mold a few times because it'd just Floor is Lava homing barrage me to death and I'm fairly certainly that spamming launch while fighting former was making the holes bigger and subsequently contributing to all the times I fell off the level.

Their melees took some getting used to because timing for dodging too, but that also posed the problem of environment kills.

But as I said, didn't want to argue too hardy against it because people feel antagonized when you do and it's not worth the energy, it's just... eh. IDK.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    The game can be a bit ...random... when deciding what mods you find. The first thing I put on my Grip was a +damage mod. Then it took until the final hour of the game before I found a second +damage.

I went back to the first area that’s gated by a security card at all after awhile, had forgotten all about it. It gave me a rank IV Seize speed mod.
    I got a second one as a drop off some mook.
    I’m enjoying life as a pet class, don’t get me wrong, but it feels, as you say, pretty random.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Well going back to do some other quests so I could max out launch damage was all I needed to finally beat Salvador. Now just need some more ability points so I can max out Health and Energy.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I only found some challenge in the game during the first Tomassi fight as I was grappling with the mechanics. The game felt incredibly easy the rest if the way.

Making an "easy mode" correctly is less about adding less enemies or reducing health or reducing the amount they do, it's also about how much time is being taken off from tuning the games normal mode to appeal to gamers who cant finish it, so if the game comes out in the same launch window you may have ended up making both versions less satisfying.

Doom 2016, for instance, doesnt come alive until you hit Ultra Violence and Nightmare. The difficulty levels below those are overturned in favor of the player and most of the actual combat mechanics in those lesser difficulty levels are unnecessary due to the limited damage you take, which makes me believe that the game was built around Ultra Violence.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the true challenge is getting the banana yellow power suit

if u dont have it know u have been judged

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Cross posting this from SE+ since it blew my mind:

Big Alan Wake/Control possible spoilers from fucking 2012.
    Sam Lake tweeted this on the day Alan Wakes American Nightmare came out.

I also believe “It’s happening again in a town called Ordinary.” Is one of the lines in that game.

The link is to a blog that Remedy barely ever has addressed - it looks to be an ARG that was supposed to kick off Alan Wake 2. In 2013 Sam Lake did that video where they said they were done with Alan for now, and then Quantum Break came next.

My guess is they were really pumped to do Alan Wake 2, then got told they couldn't, and scrapped all this...until now.

The story on that blog by Samantha shows up on a whiteboard (like, beat for beat description, but from the FBC's perspective) in I think Executive section somewhere.

This bookends nicely with the hidden area that triggers the little Alan Wake cutscene that says the date they found the typewritten page altered item is the same day Control was released.

Pump this shit directly into my veins. How am I going to get any work done today now!?

I have like 4 trophies left to grab. The Tomassi fight I stumbled into and nearly beat him, and now he's just destroying me over and over. But I like the combat so I'm not mad, it's just one of those weird things where when I was in a groove the fight went so well, but now it's just like a wall.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Sam Lake, more like Sam Ocean, playing the loooong game with his narrative. :)

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Cross posting this from SE+ since it blew my mind:

Big Alan Wake/Control possible spoilers from fucking 2012.
    Sam Lake tweeted this on the day Alan Wakes American Nightmare came out.

I also believe “It’s happening again in a town called Ordinary.” Is one of the lines in that game.

The link is to a blog that Remedy barely ever has addressed - it looks to be an ARG that was supposed to kick off Alan Wake 2. In 2013 Sam Lake did that video where they said they were done with Alan for now, and then Quantum Break came next.

My guess is they were really pumped to do Alan Wake 2, then got told they couldn't, and scrapped all this...until now.

The story on that blog by Samantha shows up on a whiteboard (like, beat for beat description, but from the FBC's perspective) in I think Executive section somewhere.

This bookends nicely with the hidden area that triggers the little Alan Wake cutscene that says the date they found the typewritten page altered item is the same day Control was released.

Pump this shit directly into my veins. How am I going to get any work done today now!?

I have like 4 trophies left to grab. The Tomassi fight I stumbled into and nearly beat him, and now he's just destroying me over and over. But I like the combat so I'm not mad, it's just one of those weird things where when I was in a groove the fight went so well, but now it's just like a wall.

You really want your mind blown?

Look at the teaser image for the last DLC on the far right. The one called AWE. Specifically, the upper half of the letters of the name.

https://i.redd.it/mp4e9gm0tyl31.jpg

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Question re: The Enemy Within:
    Are you supposed to be able to get across that first chasm in the shelter without Levitate? I feel like I can get really really close with run -> jump -> dodge forward but I keep either just barely missing or bouncing off the edge of the far side. I am willing to keep pushing myself to accomplish it, if it can in fact be done, but I tire of running back from the nearest checkpoint after one attempt.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Question re: The Enemy Within:
    Are you supposed to be able to get across that first chasm in the shelter without Levitate? I feel like I can get really really close with run -> jump -> dodge forward but I keep either just barely missing or bouncing off the edge of the far side. I am willing to keep pushing myself to accomplish it, if it can in fact be done, but I tire of running back from the nearest checkpoint after one attempt.
    While it's possible with the right setup and enough height... you're supposed to wait because you would have a terrible time of what comes next if you didn't have it.

edit: you might be able to dodge-spam to the other platforms in the arena as needed but parsimony says just wait until you have it to do the fight w/o a significant handicap. if you died you'd have to high-risk jump the chasm again, then... just bleh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So as epic store will not take my money have they patched up The Basic PS4 version or am I going to have wait out playing this game which would quite clearly tick my boxes?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    What problem are you having on PS4? They actually got the patch for September first.

edit: oh wow..

The "Day 2" update was released on xbox today. hah.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Should have called it Day [REDACTED].

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Not so much problem as I don’t have a copy I just hear that runs pretty bad when there’s a lot of action going on if you have the standard PS4.

I want to play it on my PC but Epic (shakes fist).

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Do you know why they won't take your money?

(I had this experience briefly when I first went to go buy something there, credit card always failing, it was because the country in my profile was set wrong... I had given them a bunch of nonsense info waaaaaay back when they were offering shadow complex for free. Had it down as like Senegal or something :rotate: )

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The Old Gods of Asgard album that was added to Spotify in 2016 has the inverted pyramid on the cover.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Holy crap what a game. Can't wait to see what is in the DLC.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Made some solid progress last night. Got to thre point where timed missions appear. Are they supposed to be impossible until later when you've more upgrades? I swear this dude was nigh instantly regenerating health. I managed to take out 2 of them but thre third was insane. And then i died and the mission was gone :(

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Made some solid progress last night. Got to thre point where timed missions appear. Are they supposed to be impossible until later when you've more upgrades? I swear this dude was nigh instantly regenerating health. I managed to take out 2 of them but thre third was insane. And then i died and the mission was gone :(

Yeah they destroyed me at first and still sometimes catch me off guard.

No worries though, they pop up frequently and repeat.