Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm still kind of baffled they made Titans the extreme dark one when Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol are vastly better suited for dark. Watch them make Doom Patrol into a wacky workplace comedy or something.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm still kind of baffled they made Titans the extreme dark one when Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol are vastly better suited for dark. Watch them make Doom Patrol into a wacky workplace comedy or something.
    No, they're gonna be grimmy darkier. That seems to be the only way they can think.

That's what makes what we've seen so far of Shazam so weird. It's like it completely slipped through the cracks. Or, it could be a Suicide Squad ad campaign, where the movie is a disjointed mess of theme, and Shazam starts snapping necks when he gets annoyed. I'm not expecting that, but it wouldn't surprise me, and if it happens, I'll be proper done with DC.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Shazam is likely going to be a real awful kids movie. And I don't mean a movie for all ages, but a movie specifically for kids. Nothing but fart jokes and slapstick that would make 6 year old me want to walk out on.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Titan's just look way too cheap to me. Grim dark is fine with proper budget and talent. They have seemed to screw both those up.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    The Titan's trailer looks really good for a fanfilm.

But it's not a fanfilm.
    I can't decide if WB's incompetence makes me hopeful that maybe-one day, if I'm very lucky-have a chance to do a better job, or sad that people who did get that chance are so lazy that they slapped grimdark on Teen Titans and called it a day.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    The Titan's trailer looks really good for a fanfilm.

But it's not a fanfilm.
    I can't decide if WB's incompetence makes me hopeful that maybe-one day, if I'm very lucky-have a chance to do a better job, or sad that people who did get that chance are so lazy that they slapped grimdark on Teen Titans and called it a day.

No, this looks really good for a Fanfilm.

https://youtu.be/QQyfQ7RMOXs

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    haha, he really does shoot a bunch of dudes and then say 'fuck batman.' I thought that was a joke

just, what the hell DC

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Well, if the Joker killed someone he cared about "Fuck Batman." would be a pretty justifiable feeling. He is pretty shit at cleaning up Gotham!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    haha, he really does shoot a bunch of dudes and then say 'fuck batman.' I thought that was a joke

just, what the hell DC

So, watching the trailer again, I don't think he actually shoots anyone. The people in the shot with the gunfire flinch away, but none of them fall or move like they were shot. As for Fuck Batman, well, Batman does have a habit of being a complete asshole to Robin, though with Dick it tends to lead to one or the other of them sucker punching the other and then a brutal fight rather than just saying "Fuck Batman".

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Still, the unofficial tagline for Titans is now 'Fuck Batman'.
    I can't imagine that's what DC/WB want people to take away from it, but I also can't see how they'd expect anything else.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The trailer has failed to do its job, which is to make me want to watch the show.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    You know a trailer has also failed when people are tossing out the "it might be just a dream" defense for sequences in said trailer.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Next to the horrible 'f Batman' line of Dick, the other terrible moment comes from the half a second look at Starfire burning a dude alive.

#1 - Really? Is everyone going to be a murderous psychopath in this?

#2 - It takes 2 seconds to look up Starfire's powers. She doesn't make fire at all. I wonder if the writers googled Starfire, but accidentally mixed her up with Firestar from Marvel and just ran with it. Either way, not getting the characters from the comics continues to be a major problem with many of these projects.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    'Fire' is part of her name, it's obvious what her powers are.
    No, we don't need to read any comics or anything, stop wasting my time.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is weird because vague energy beams are probably easier to do using cheap CGI than actual fire powers.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Fire is like the go-to CGI power tho. Ya need to convey that someone has magic or something, they'll be playing with a fireball in their hand. Mmmaybe lightning.

I feel like Heroes ended up with 5+ fire wielders by the end.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It is weird because vague energy beams are probably easier to do using cheap CGI than actual fire powers.

But her actual main power set is flight, super strength etc. Energy beams are secondary. Looks a lot like...

"We wanted to make our own Mark on the character and redefine her..."

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

But her actual main power set is flight, super strength etc. Energy beams are secondary. Looks a lot like...

"How can we make her grim and dark?"

"Have her burn someone alive?"

"Sold!"

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

"Sold!"

I mean, I guess it's better than Sexual Predator Starfire from the comics reboot?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Clearly, the optimal viewing experience for Titans will be watching it split-screen with Teen Titans Go.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

"Sold!"

I mean, I guess it's better than Sexual Predator Starfire from the comics reboot?

The New 52 Starfire was not a sexual predator. She was flippant about having sex with multiple partners who she then apparently had no emotional attachment to, which is a WILDLY different thing.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Here is a rumour about what's supposed to happen in Titans. Take it with a mountain of salt.
    >Robin becomes butthurt because he feels Batman is taking credit for his accomplishments and moves to San Francisco to become his own man. He joins the local police, but nobody likes him because he keeps to himself. His partner Amy also has a reputation for being a fuck-up, which does not do him any favors. He does not want anything to do with the Titans at first but eventually grows fond of them. Becomes Nightwing close to the season finale.

>Starfire is alien and will be orange through a combination of make-up and CGI. She is on the run from the government and her homeworld and is the Wolverine of the team so to speak, all moody and aggressive.

>Raven is the daughter of the demon Trigon, the main villain of season 1. She can’t control her powers and is being chased by the Cult of Trigon, because they need her to bring Trigon into the world. Becomes a surrogate sister/daughter to Robin.

>Beast Boy is the resident quipster. He was on the Doom Patrol, but ran away because he just wanted to be normal. The Titans get into a brawl with the Doom Patrol over him and the Doom Patrol eventually lets him go.

>Hawk & Dove are veteran vigilantes from San Francisco who are hated by the superhero community because they kill, particularly Hawk. They are a couple and the avatars of Order and Chaos, but are off-balance because Hawk is PUNISHED over the death of his brother, the original Dove. They fight the Titans at first too.

>Jason Todd is a supporting character, a teenage delinquent from San Francisco who Robin takes under his wing. He eventually figures out Robin’s secret identity and tries to get him to make amends with Batman. While Robin and Batman do not really start getting along again, Batman takes Jason in as the new Robin.

>Donna Troy has a minor role. She's a runaway Amazon who comes to Men's World in search of her "sister" Wonder Woman, who is a nomad in the series. She ends up bonding with Robin and decides to crash with the Titans in the season finale.

>Superboy has a minor role. He's a clone of Superman who also has Lex Luthor’s DNA, although Superman treats him like his son. Superboy is having problems coming into his own so Superman sends him to San Francisco to hang out with the Titans in the season finale, creating tension since Robin does not want him around. It's mentioned Supergirl also thinks Superboy is a freak and had a falling out with Superman about it.

>Cyborg, Arsenal, Kid Flash are namedropped. Batgirl is briefly featured as Robin's ex-girlfriend. They ended on REALLY bad terms and she hates him. Robin and Arsenal are friends, Robin and Kid Flash are kinda' estranged because Robin resents Kid Flash's healthy, supportive relationship with the Flash. Cyborg is said to be a former teen hero who "graduated" to the Justice League.

>Seamus Dever is playing Evan Logue, a preacher for the Cult of Trigon who becomes Trigon's human vessel for most of the season.

>Hush and Blackfire will be villains in season 2, with season 1 ending on a cliffhanger of Hush using the Bat-signal to lure Nightwing into a trap. General Zod and Psimon are also being considered. The overall theme is "teenage corruption"

• Options
    If that makes your eyes roll so hard it gives you a minor injury and you’re at all interested in the movie business, you may as well see Teen Titans Go to the Movies, which is getting good reviews. This one has spoilers, though they’re glorious:

http://apne.ws/m04Xq0s

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Here is a rumour about what's supposed to happen in Titans. Take it with a mountain of salt.
    >Robin becomes butthurt because he feels Batman is taking credit for his accomplishments and moves to San Francisco to become his own man. He joins the local police, but nobody likes him because he keeps to himself. His partner Amy also has a reputation for being a fuck-up, which does not do him any favors. He does not want anything to do with the Titans at first but eventually grows fond of them. Becomes Nightwing close to the season finale.

>Starfire is alien and will be orange through a combination of make-up and CGI. She is on the run from the government and her homeworld and is the Wolverine of the team so to speak, all moody and aggressive.

>Raven is the daughter of the demon Trigon, the main villain of season 1. She can’t control her powers and is being chased by the Cult of Trigon, because they need her to bring Trigon into the world. Becomes a surrogate sister/daughter to Robin.

>Beast Boy is the resident quipster. He was on the Doom Patrol, but ran away because he just wanted to be normal. The Titans get into a brawl with the Doom Patrol over him and the Doom Patrol eventually lets him go.

>Hawk & Dove are veteran vigilantes from San Francisco who are hated by the superhero community because they kill, particularly Hawk. They are a couple and the avatars of Order and Chaos, but are off-balance because Hawk is PUNISHED over the death of his brother, the original Dove. They fight the Titans at first too.

>Jason Todd is a supporting character, a teenage delinquent from San Francisco who Robin takes under his wing. He eventually figures out Robin’s secret identity and tries to get him to make amends with Batman. While Robin and Batman do not really start getting along again, Batman takes Jason in as the new Robin.

>Donna Troy has a minor role. She's a runaway Amazon who comes to Men's World in search of her "sister" Wonder Woman, who is a nomad in the series. She ends up bonding with Robin and decides to crash with the Titans in the season finale.

>Superboy has a minor role. He's a clone of Superman who also has Lex Luthor’s DNA, although Superman treats him like his son. Superboy is having problems coming into his own so Superman sends him to San Francisco to hang out with the Titans in the season finale, creating tension since Robin does not want him around. It's mentioned Supergirl also thinks Superboy is a freak and had a falling out with Superman about it.

>Cyborg, Arsenal, Kid Flash are namedropped. Batgirl is briefly featured as Robin's ex-girlfriend. They ended on REALLY bad terms and she hates him. Robin and Arsenal are friends, Robin and Kid Flash are kinda' estranged because Robin resents Kid Flash's healthy, supportive relationship with the Flash. Cyborg is said to be a former teen hero who "graduated" to the Justice League.

>Seamus Dever is playing Evan Logue, a preacher for the Cult of Trigon who becomes Trigon's human vessel for most of the season.

>Hush and Blackfire will be villains in season 2, with season 1 ending on a cliffhanger of Hush using the Bat-signal to lure Nightwing into a trap. General Zod and Psimon are also being considered. The overall theme is "teenage corruption"

I swear my reaction to reading that whole thing was just, like...a slowly escalating facepalm until it got past main character stuff. That actually sounds pretty good...except for the main characters. How does a show get everything right except for the main characters?!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

I swear my reaction to reading that whole thing was just, like...a slowly escalating facepalm until it got past main character stuff. That actually sounds pretty good...except for the main characters. How does a show get everything right except for the main characters?!

Man, if those spoilers are true, I apologize to everyone here for having like two days of hope that someone competant was making this. It really is just grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. Sigh.

As for how DC gets the characters so wrong, well, its because they hire people to make these things that are ashamed of or hate comics. Its pretty much how all DC movies are made.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    That rumor makes no sense.
    Why would Beastboy want to run away from the awesome Doom Patrol to the grimdark Teen Titans?

Why would Superman want his clone son to hang out with a bunch of grimdark murderers?

Couscous on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    That rumor makes no sense.
    Why would Beastboy want to run away from the awesome Doom Patrol to the grimdark Teen Titans?

Why would Superman want his clone son to hang out with a bunch of grimdark murderers?

Because it's DC and they think being a katamari of razor blades is the solution to all their problems.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just to accustomed to all the animation portrayals of her, but I am not pleased with this version of Raven.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just to accustomed to all the animation portrayals of her, but I am not pleased with this version of Raven.

i think it's the hair effects that they decided to run with; It reminds me way too much of the girl from the grudge.

• Options
    The hair doesn't bug me so much as the begging faux Batman for help bit. In the CN version and even the mediocre to okay animated movies Raven's more of an assertive badass IMO.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    The hair doesn't bug me so much as the begging faux Batman for help bit. In the CN version and even the mediocre to okay animated movies Raven's more of an assertive badass IMO.

Sure, and robin doesn't throw bronze Rs and wreak of generic teen angst.

Also I legit couldn't tell if the one character in the trailer was supposed to be beast boy or joker.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Shazam trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY

I am down

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Shazam trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY

I am down

This by no means look amazing but it does look like a really fun departure from the rest of DC. Baxter's actor is on point.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Can't say I'm super impressed by the plastic LED light on his chest. But everything else looks fairly neat.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm into it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    My jaded heart feels something. i think it might be optimism. :)

• Options
    Meh

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Aquaman looks...

...sit-throughable at worst. Though Jason Momoa does not have a future as a film narrator.

God damn do I hope they polish those effects more before release though; they look at least ten years out of date.

This discussion has been closed.